Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
RUGMAN

Default Boat lifts

I am contemplating buying a boat lift for my tri-toon, would it need to come out of the water in the fall, or if I have a bubbler, could it stay in. Any recommendations of companies on winni that sell and install.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Having looked into this recently, by law it needs to be removed from the water. Also, you need to have a place to put it and the man power to lift it. Not a simple task

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-20-2021), I.C.Isles (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Leaving a boat lift in the water is tricky, and dependent on the type of lift you have.... I know people that do it, and simply move the lift into deeper water, so it is submerged lower then the ice will form. I also know someone that has one behind a breakwater so its protected and he leaves his in with just a bubbler.....

Legally yes I believe they are supposed to be removed, but I think that is more about not wanting people to bubble just lifts... On top of which the issue isn't as much the ice forming around the lift... as it is when the sheets of ice start moving in the spring....

Anytime someone starts to talk about a lift I ask the simple question of what do you think it is going to do for you?
Old 08-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Anytime someone starts to talk about a lift I ask the simple question of what do you think it is going to do for you?
I am not sure if you ask the question because you do not see any value in a lift, but here is what value I see:

1. Your boat will not repeatedly bounce off the dock if you are in a rough area.

2. You won't get a water line and discolored hull if you store the boat out of the water.

3. Should you have any leak in the hull if your boat is on a lift it won't sink.

4. If your battery goes dead in a heavy rain and your bilge pump doesn't work your boat will still be floating the next time you go to use it.

5. Easier boarding for you and passengers without a bouncing boat.

6. You don't have to tie or untie dock lines.

7. It is safer if everyone is in the boat and seated when you depart or return rather than have people hanging onto posts waiting to deal with lines.

8. It makes docking and leaving a one person operation.

I don't see any situation where a lift would not be a positive as long as you have the depth to properly use it
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
CowTimes

I have seen advertisements in the past for boat lifts that actually attach under the deck of the pontoon, and thus travel with the boat. Here is one company that looks to have Channel Marine as a dealer: https://sea-legs.com/

I don’t know anyone that has this setup or what the drawbacks are, but thought if we ever got a pontoon boat, I would want to look into this set up more. The nice thing is that you never have to worry about taking the lift in and out of the water since it is mounted to the pontoon deck.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
4. If your battery goes dead in a heavy rain and your bilge pump doesn't work your boat will still be floating the next time you go to use it.
I’m not sure about this one. Unless your lift has a canopy the same amount of water will be in your boat.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
TiltonBB

Yes, that could be true. But your boat would be in the lift, not on the bottom of the lake. (Unless you had a really low capacity lift)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
camp guy

Default Boat lifts

So, TiltonBB, you make some good points. However, I think points 1,5,6,7 & 8, are skills a boater should have regardless of a lift. After all, if you have a lift at your home port, and you mitigate these interferences using a lift, what happens when you dock somewhere else and a lift isn't available. Each of the points you mention regarding power and a bilge pump are well taken, but tying up at your home port so as to avoid banging the dock is easily taken care of with dock whips, substantial fenders, and the appropriate lines. Getting in and out a boat that is bouncing around - well, that just is part of boating 101.

I think if a person is away from boating for long periods of time, then lifts are appropriate. A friend of mine had a lift and every summer we wrestled with it to get it square with the dock, level, and secure. On a nice sunny day, not so bad, but in June the water is still cold (and don't forget, it is even colder taking it out).
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
TiltonBB

How did you determine that because someone has a lift they don't have good boating skills?

What if you didn't want to deal with: dock whips, fenders, substantial lines whenever possible because there is an easier way? I watch my next door neighbor mess with all of those things for 1/2 hour after every time he takes his boat out.

Why do you assume that because someone has a boat lift at their home port that they don't repeatedly dock in other places and use and improve all of their skills?

Isn't it safer for you and your passengers to get in an out of a boat that is not bouncing, if you have that option?

Wouldn't you like it if your boat did not pick up a scum line on the hull that has to be cleaned annually and eventually becomes "permanent"?

Wrestle with a boat lift? In some situations that is not necessary at all. Some people on Winnipesaukee have boat lifts that can stay in place all year long. Think a little bigger!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #10
SAB1

Not legal to leave in year round.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Not legal to leave in year round.
Sorry. Wrong! Think bigger! Boat lifts on Winnipesaukee can be used all year long. There is more than one kind of boat lift.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #12
Prestige Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Sorry. Wrong! Think bigger! Boat lifts on Winnipesaukee can be used all year long. There is more than one kind of boat lift.
Toasted !

Prestige Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

In my opinion the greatest advantage to a boat lift is having a canopy on it.
It's quite a chore to put a mooring cover on some of the larger pontoon boats and it's not much fun to work up a sweat after cooling off on a nice cruise.
So sweet just to park it and forget it.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
LakeTimes

Not MINE - (I dont' even have a boat house) - but IF I did, I would absolutely look to get one of these/make my own. I've looked into this and you could also do this with your lift on your dock as well. Should note that when boating all day, the decking will be submerged all day long which is where Azak and Lumberrock products that other people have suggested come into play as they can withstand being underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flR6gJOorLg

BIG advantage from my perspective is safety with young children and pets. All it takes is a split second for a young child to slip between the boat and the dock with the boat bouncing back and forth and that could be a devastational outcome... Rare - sure.

Other advantage here is that is allows you to clean under your boat, plus I love the look personally :-)

Picture of a different one:
Attached Images

Last edited by LakeTimes; 08-21-2021 at 09:07 AM.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #15
Garcia

Now that's what I "need"!
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Default Never enough!

I would like to have that but I have the poor man's version! But, it has a boat lift that is used all year! Spring launch is very simple. One button!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Nice

A nice boathouse like that deserves a fully restored wooden classic, not plastic. I am jealous of the boathouse, however.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-22-2021), ApS (08-21-2021), garysanfran (08-21-2021), TiltonBB (08-21-2021)