Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Jdarby

Default USPS Opened Packages?

Anyone else receiving packages from the USPS that have been opened up and then re-taped closed? Over the past few months I have received four packages that have apparently been “inspected” during shipping and then taped back closed. Nothing has been missing. Although, today I received an Amazon item. The outside plastic bag was opened and the box inside had its seal broken and nothing was taped back up. I know the USPS has the right to open any package shipped for inspection but I’ve never had it happen before. Now it’s happened to me 4 times in short order!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Yes

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Kamper

If a package has been unsealed, for inspection or by accident, USPS will put a "seal" on it. Looks like a stamp. I have had this happen to a letter that was inadvertently not auto-forwarded to me and was opened by the new person at a previous residence. I know that part because they wrote an apology on the envelope.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Kamper

If a package has been unsealed, for inspection or by accident, USPS will put a "seal" on it. Looks like a stamp. I have had this happen to a letter that was inadvertently not auto-forwarded to me and was opened by the new person at a previous residence. I know that part because they wrote an apology on the envelope.

I would expect something similar for an inspected package...

"Opened for Inspection." either on the seal or written on the package. If you don't see that you might want to inquire further to find out if your material wasn't worth stealing.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
Jdarby

Default USPS Opened Packages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post

I would expect something similar for an inspected package...

"Opened for Inspection." either on the seal or written on the package. If you don't see that you might want to inquire further to find out if your material wasn't worth stealing.
I expected the same in regards to some kind of notice. But there was nothing like that nor any “official” tape or seal. Even the TSA leaves a note when then open your bag during airline travel. A couple of the packages that were opened contained liquids and I’m guessing they wanted to confirm there were no hazardous or otherwise prohibited items being shipped. The package today contained a large quantity of candle tea lights. So the weight was fairly substantial in a fairly small box.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
garysanfran

Default From Calicornucopia...

I was told by someone at a UPS store in San Francisco, that packages from states where cannabis is legal, are being inspected aggressively. He told me that I had sealed my package too well and it creates suspicion that maybe some smelly weed was in there. I told him to open it up and reseal it...He didn't.

Fed Ex, a private carrier, I was told, could care less.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I was told by someone at a UPS store in San Francisco, that packages from states where cannabis is legal, are being inspected aggressively. He told me that I had sealed my package too well and it creates suspicion that maybe some smelly weed was in there. I told him to open it up and reseal it...He didn't.

Makes sense. Also, if you have something aromatic (such as candles), that may trigger an inspector to be more attentive to look for drugs
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post

So just to be clear, I’m talking about the United States Postal Service (USPS). You mention UPS but they are also a private company just like FedEx. Again, I understand that the USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc… all have the right to open any package they are transporting. I was just wondering if others have been receiving open packages from the USPS. I have never received a package from UPS, FedEx, or DHL that had been opened. While I mentioned that the most recent package contained candles, they were not aromatic so there was no strong smell. Also, they were in an Amazon package and I’m not sure that Amazon is known for shipping cannabis. Thanks in advance for any intel!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (12-15-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
garysanfran

I meant USPS...

Sorry
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler

USPS can NOT open any First Class, Priority, Parcel Post or Express package unless they have some type of indication that it is transporting something illegal by mail (such as illegal drugs, beer, wine, liquor, guns, etc). Under those circumstances they do need a warrant to do so once they isolate the package in question.

The USPS routinely uses "sniffing" machines at processing centers as well as hound dogs (at the airport) to be sure everything is on the up and up.

Now, tons of packages are damaged in transit each year, and the USPS will make every attempt to put them back together and get them on their way to their destination.

If you feel your USPS packages have been deliberately tampered with you should notify your Postmaster and contact the Postal Inspection Service.

No one should routinely receive packages that have been opened. Something is wrong if you are.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
tummyman

The following was an interesting comment by the Moultonborough Town Clerk as published today in the town administrator's weekly report:

Town Clerk
The Town Clerks office has been seeing a higher than usual rate of returned mail. When mail is returned to us, we make every effort to contact the individual and, in many cases, the intended recipient confirms that the address we mailed it to is correct.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
The following was an interesting comment by the Moultonborough Town Clerk as published today in the town administrator's weekly report:

Town Clerk
The Town Clerks office has been seeing a higher than usual rate of returned mail. When mail is returned to us, we make every effort to contact the individual and, in many cases, the intended recipient confirms that the address we mailed it to is correct.
That doesn't surprise me.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #13
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
That town clerks office has had credibility issues in the past.

All mail now is sorted by OCR machines now. So either the machine is malfunctioning OR the clerks office made a mistake in the address. If there is any kind of mistake in the name or address - the machine kicks it out - return to sender.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #14
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Now, tons of packages are damaged in transit each year, and the USPS will make every attempt to put them back together and get them on their way to their destination.
All packages are sorted on conveyer belts by machines. Sometimes those conveyer belts get clogged up. And a package/box is damaged.

Yes, under normal circumstances, a damaged in mailing notice is placed on item.

But this is Christmas time. Lot's of part time holiday help. Lots and lots of packages. Some packaged properly while others not. Even if your package was properly wrapped the one behind or in front of your package may not be. Resulting is a crush. Even not at Christmas time - there are a lot more packages because of Covid.

No one wants to know what you are getting from Amazon.

Except maybe your spouse or children. Who may have opened the box to see. And did a lousy job of repacking.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #15
Kamper

About mis-deliveries...

When I moved here over 20 years ago, I got mail from all over town in my mailbox. There was more in a month than I had gotten at all of my previous addresses.

Leaving out a lot of details... I suggested to my carrier that she watch her tray. I did not get any more errors until the route was reassigned. The first time I got someone else's mail, I put a warning note for the new driver to watch their tray as well.

There is no way to tell if any of the carriers escalated the situation, but I suspect some jerk thought it was funny to shuffle stuff around. There may be a similar 'bad-attitude dude' in your town.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #16
phoenix

I agree with the professor many letters or packages that get damaged happen in the sorting process .
Old 12-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #17
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
USPS can NOT open any First Class, Priority, Parcel Post or Express package unless they have some type of indication that it is transporting something illegal by mail (such as illegal drugs, beer, wine, liquor, guns, etc). Under those circumstances they do need a warrant to do so once they isolate the package in question.

The USPS routinely uses "sniffing" machines at processing centers as well as hound dogs (at the airport) to be sure everything is on the up and up.

If you feel your USPS packages have been deliberately tampered with you should notify your Postmaster and contact the Postal Inspection Service.

No one should routinely receive packages that have been opened. Something is wrong if you are.
So I found this on a postal website. “4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?
First-Class letters and parcels are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class letter or parcel violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mail piece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence and therefore may be opened without a warrant.”

None of my opened packages would have been first class mail. My packages were not “damaged” but obviously cut opened and retapped shut. In each instance I was the person who took initial receipt of the package from our parcel box or directly from the mail courier.

I appreciate the responses.

Happy Holidays!