Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Hillcountry

Default I'll be the first...

They're baaa-aack...
Went out early to do some trolling for salmon and trout Saturday morning and by 9 AM the lake was BUZZING! What a beautiful day to kick off the holiday weekend and begin a season of ignoring all the obvious boating laws!

You name it, the yahoos operated their boats true to high summer form! From the 150' rule to the no wake zone fiascoes...they were in their blissful, glory as they blasted us with their wakes and gave no impression of any wrongdoing.
To and fro they went, cutting off other boats, coming as close as 25' at speed while we tried to maintain a course at 1.9 mph...We shook our heads and laughed it off as the beginning of the end of weekend forays into the lovely waters of the lake.
Despite the rollers trying their best to tip us over, our tritoon stood steadfast against the tide...and guided us safely to our noontime haven...the marina!
They are back, and with a vengeance! Careful out there fellow law abiding boaters!
By the way, we did manage to land a nice fat salmon to end our morning!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (05-27-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Outdoorsman

I thought for sure this was going to be a thread about dinging your prop.

This made me laugh though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Despite the rollers trying their best to tip us over, our tritoon stood steadfast against the tide...
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
The Real BigGuy

Only means summer is here. Watch out for the other guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
jazzman

They of course have to stay 150 away, but anyone trolling still has to abide by the right of way rules.

I did have several people crossing from my port fail to yield me the right of way yesterday (not fishing boats).

I'm not going to even uncover my boat today
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default I will see you Tuesday

when the Memorial Day Mayhem is over!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We stayed home in West Alton yesterday. Today we made the run from Fay's to Welch at about 4pm when they mostly headed back to shore and drinks.

Will go back into Glendale early tomorrow while they are still in bed and then back to Welch late afternoon when most are on their back to la la land.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We stayed home in West Alton yesterday. Today we made the run from Fay's to Welch at about 4pm when they mostly headed back to shore and drinks.

Will go back into Glendale early tomorrow while they are still in bed and then back to Welch late afternoon when most are on their back to la la land.
Yup, it was a good day to just stay put on the island and watch the freak show from my lounge chair...

Dan
Old 05-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
SAB1

Great reason why I love winter on the lake.....
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #9
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
They are back, and with a vengeance! Careful out there fellow law abiding boaters!
Yup! there back. Glad I left somewhat early today. Some guy pulled in Center Harbor late in the day and dam near cut off one of the sections off the main dock on the beach side. He did not have even clue what he did wrong. TIP! when you smash into the dock at high speed ........ don't back up and do it again. Just shut the boat down.

If he came in just a few moments earlier it would be in the papers Monday, he just missed hitting a mom and two very young children on the dock while they were leaving there boat.

You name it, the yahoos operated their boats true to high summer form!

Last edited by Top-Water; 05-26-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:51 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

They obviously don't know what no rafting, 150'rule, and no wake mean.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #11
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
They obviously don't know what no rafting, 150'rule, and no wake mean.
Sadly, I think the reason there are so many obvious violations is not because someone doesn’t know the rules, but instead feel the rules don’t apply to them - or know they won’t get caught.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 AM   #12
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Sadly, I think the reason there are so many obvious violations is not because someone doesn’t know the rules, but instead feel the rules don’t apply to them - or know they won’t get caught.
I think you are exactly right!!!!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
Poor Richard

How much of this is due to the fact that boating laws in NH are quite a bit different in many regards than boating everywhere else?

Sure, I agree there are some lackluster captains out there however, as I understand it, NH boating laws are unique to NH.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
8gv

The 150’ rule seems to be unique to NH.

NH requires that I carry a fire extinguisher in my 12’ and 8’ boats, the fede do not.

What other rules are different?

The understanding of the “stand on” and “give way” vessel rules is universal but they are often not followed.

Sunday, I had to take action to avoid a collision when the “give way” vessel did not give way.

This is a common occurrence and it helps to be willing to resolve the traffic conflict early.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #15
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
They of course have to stay 150 away, but anyone trolling still has to abide by the right of way rules.

I did have several people crossing from my port fail to yield me the right of way yesterday (not fishing boats).

I'm not going to even uncover my boat today
You do realize that when fishermen are trolling, they are doing less than 2 MPH right? They are generally on a specific course.

Failure to yield, to me, seems kind of silly to suggest. You would be the one closing in on them at a higher rate of speed and if they change course because "you have the right of way"..... It might take them a minute or two.

Expecting them to full stop so you can fly by with "right of way" while they have tackle in the water is not going to happen either.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
Poor Richard

The marker/ buoy system, the speed limit during the day, the different speed limit during the night, 150' rule, the ever-popular NWZ...to name a few.

Just curious if some of those differences could be contributing to the aforementioned "yahoos".
Old 05-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #17
Top-Water

Didn't venture out into the more populated / more traveled areas of the lake this weekend ................ so obviously I can't answer my own question.

Just asking Did anyone even see a marine patrol boat this weekend, or were they all tied up with the 7 mph boaters in the no wake zones.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #18
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Didn't venture out into the more populated / more traveled areas of the lake this weekend ................ so obviously I can't answer my own question.

Just asking Did anyone even see a marine patrol boat this weekend, or were they all tied up with the 7 mph boaters in the no wake zones.
Yes we saw a couple early Saturday morning headed west out of Glendale.
Did not see any “stops” though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #19
8gv

I saw one MP pinching a boat Sunday and one watching Monday.

Both were just outside the Weirs Channel on the lake side.

The one watching could have his pick of many 150', make that 50', violations.

I suppose it's like cops doing radar that wait for the most severe violations.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Yes we saw them doing their job. Glad they are out there and always professional for the most part when dealing with the public. I have yet to run into a “badge heavy” marine patrol officer...

Dan
Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

A large part of their (MP) job is to promote safety and keep everybody happy on the lakes. That's one reason why for so many years they were unarmed. Game wardens/conservation officers have the same sense of direction and I applaud that. Since the 150' rule, boat to boat, is unique, playing someplace else (Boston Harbor, Narragansett Bay, etc) gives a different`perspective to those who mostly boat close to crowded areas of Wiinipesaukee. To me, the 150' rule B to B should be almost a common courtesy anywhere that conditions make it reasonable. Emphasis on conditions as with Coast Guard Rule 6.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #22
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

I suppose it's like cops doing radar that wait for the most severe violations.
Agree, probably the the most likely scenario.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #23
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs up

It was crazy busy this past weekend, the best memorial day weekend weather I've seen in a long time.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
You do realize that when fishermen are trolling, they are doing less than 2 MPH right? They are generally on a specific course.

Failure to yield, to me, seems kind of silly to suggest. You would be the one closing in on them at a higher rate of speed and if they change course because "you have the right of way"..... It might take them a minute or two.

Expecting them to full stop so you can fly by with "right of way" while they have tackle in the water is not going to happen either.
“Yielding” has generally not been a problem while trolling...the other boats simply fly by at speed and some actually cross over our lead core lines that trail behind the boat near the surface but luckily, the lines have been below “prop level” so far. While trolling out through the Wiers channel Saturday morning some fisherman on shore cast across my lines and snagged one...he quickly reeled his line in and cut my line and probably got my streamer fly.
I “thanked” him in no uncertain terms but continued on trolling as it would not have been pretty if I reeled in my lines and went back to “retrieve” my tackle.
Sometimes it’s prudent to just keep moving on...

Last edited by Hillcountry; 05-28-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #25
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Some years back while cruising to work, I was listening to a Ralphie May bit about giving up grudges/'putting down the weight." As I was doing that, someone pulled up on my bumper--that was the moment I stopped experiencing road rage/frustration, etc.

I'm the same on the lake--I'm proactive and give way whenever it means safety and reducing stress. I recognize bonehead maneuvers, and will point them out to interested passengers, but I'm past letting them ruin my experience.

PS Yes, there were a lot of bad skippers out there this last weekend.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (05-30-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #26
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Some years back while cruising to work, I was listening to a Ralphie May bit about giving up grudges/'putting down the weight." As I was doing that, someone pulled up on my bumper--that was the moment I stopped experiencing road rage/frustration, etc.

I'm the same on the lake--I'm proactive and give way whenever it means safety and reducing stress. I recognize bonehead maneuvers, and will point them out to interested passengers, but I'm past letting them ruin my experience.

PS Yes, there were a lot of bad skippers out there this last weekend.

Although I was never one to get too hot with bonehead moves I do the same thing - just point them out to whoever I'm with. it's done wonders teaching my Daughter how to drive the boat.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #27
Patofnaud

Saw them on the Paugus end of the channel nabbing folks coming up to full plane/speed as they cleared the bouys and were within feet of other boats... Good to see them.

I'm sure the guy who's engine died on the beach end of the channel was also happy to see them when they pulled up and tossed him a rope and pulled him out into the open, and watched him until he could restart his engines.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #28
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

These threads always amuse me. The discussion of the capt. bonehead. While yes NH has some specific laws of their own creation that most states don't have. Don't fool yourself into believing that the issue is out of state boaters. There are many NH residents, and seasonal residents that do bonehead things as well.

The bigger problem I often find is not so much a lack of knowledge of the rules. But rather a lack of focus on a captains part. While I try and abide by the 150' rule, I don't get my feathers ruffled, when someone is closer then that, as long as I don't feel like safety was ever a concern. Maybe that is because I have been boating in places, where running in close proximity is the normal. But that is here nor there, I need to get back on topic....

As with many other facets of life, there is to much technology surrounding us. It used to be when you where a recreation boater and on the water, there was your boat its controls and you.... You where aware of everything going on around you... But now we have fish finders, GPS, Chart plotters, cell phones, tablets with apps for navigation, depth finders etc... Just like people get stupid in there cars, with all the gizmo's, so do they in boats. And now of course boats are bigger and more powerful, then in the past... so cruising at 30 or 35 MPH is pretty normal, and you close in on each other quickly, sometime more quickly then you realize when your distracted by the technology your boat has in it.

Bottom line, is it is not the rules, it is the attentiveness of the capt. that are the problem. I have always had a problem with the speed limit on the lake, because it was used to disguise the real problem which is inattentive boaters. Weather your going 30 or 70, attentive is attentive. Most everyone I know with a need for speed, including myself will tell you the faster I am going, the more focused I am on what is going on around me, because I know how quickly the things can come up.... and at slower speeds, I keep my attentiveness, because I don't want to loose my edge..... Bottom line is, boating has become like owning a car, everybody feels they are entitled, but very few learn to understand how attentive you need to be, when you are one a road, with no lanes to guide you....

well enough for now, I am sure many people will pick this apart, and that is fine.... Stop blaming the laws, stop blaming out of staters..... focus on what the problem is the attention span of people to stay focused, and technology....
Old 05-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Pretty much spot on imo.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #30
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

But now we have fish finders, GPS, Chart plotters, cell phones, tablets with apps for navigation, depth finders etc...
And after a few beers they can't tell the difference between a cell phone and a fish finder.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #31
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Think there are plenty of both ignorant and novice operators out there too. No "safety" class will ever replace experience behind the helm, understanding the basics of operation, navigation and overall awareness.

There are many who get their experience by doing what everyone else does and well that's assuming everyone else knows what they are doing. Far to often I've seen boaters who do the most insane things, but worst yet followed but a another doing the same thing, whether it be wising by somebody to close, ignoring markers or my favorite, pulling a skier, tube or wakeboard in areas that see lots of traffic and navigating at a safe distance is tight. There is also a concept missed where while it may be within the law to operate within certain boundaries, conditions and safety concerns - IE common sense - dictate otherwise.

Is what it is, the only hope any of us can have is that MP is out there giving some continuing "education" to those that need it when they are able to.

It is simply impossible to legislate common sense as that in and of itself is subject to interpretation!

My advice is to be alert, be defensive and try to enjoy yourself.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #32
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
And after a few beers they can't tell the difference between a cell phone and a fish finder.
Is that why I can't catch any fish?

Last edited by Biggd; 05-29-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
These threads always amuse me. The discussion of the capt. bonehead. While yes NH has some specific laws of their own creation that most states don't have. Don't fool yourself into believing that the issue is out of state boaters. There are many NH residents, and seasonal residents that do bonehead things as well.
I feel like much of your post was in response to my question regarding NH's unique laws. My intent was not to place blame on the out of state boaters and I may have slightly mis-worded my post.

My question was more due to the fact that I know captains who are NH residents and have taken a boat safety course (online) from another state in order to specifically avoid the requirement of sitting in the 8hr boat safety class offered by NH.

When I attended the NH boating safety course it had quite a bit of emphasis on the NH-specific boating laws. The courses from other states do not. So, in an effort to become legal to boat in NH, I wonder how many captains take the easy route only to make all the mistakes once on the water in NH.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #34
tis

I don't think most of what we see is ignorance of the law or mistakes. I think they do what they feel like doing.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #35
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I don't think most of what we see is ignorance of the law or mistakes. I think they do what they feel like doing.
^ This. We're in The Age of Entitlement/The Me Era.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote