Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
AltonGuy

Default Roof Snow Removal Contacts?

Wondering if anyone can provide a few contacts for residential roof snow removal? Preferably in the Alton area. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
GWC...

Island Support Service...

Phone - 603.293.4357 (HELP)

Fax - 603.293.4357 (HELP)

Email - islandsupport@cs.com

Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Snow Removal

We had "Trash-Out Roof Clearing" do our roof last week.. they did a good job.
We had lots of snow and have a very steep roof. I was happy with the service.

Two guys worked all day, and came back the next day to clear a path all the way around the house.

Warning.. they are not insured, for "roof cleaning". As I was looking around for people to clear my roof, I found this (uninsured) to be very common.

I picked them based on a friends experience with them. I wasn't disappointed, they did a good job.

Contact is Randy.. cell number 682-2213

Good Luck
Old 02-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
AltonGuy

Thanks for the info! Just curious but what did they charge for being there all day?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Tir Na Nog

Default Same for Wolfeboro

I would welcome the same recommendation for the Wolfeboro area, including any information about prices. Anyone have any idea how bad it is up in Wolfeboro. I was there last week and the house roof looked OK, but the garage roof was pretty thickly covered.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Around Meredith downtown area, there's a few differant signs for roof-shovellers, strategically placed in snowbanks just like political signs. Gee whiz, if this snow had happened before primary day, I'm sure all those pols would have been happy to do the shovelling. Don't know, but I bet the stores are all sold out of roof rakes

Removing this stuff from a roof is tough tough work because it is like chunky concrete that is really stuck to the asphalt shingles down below.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-29-2008 at 07:40 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Price

I was charged $150.. and added a little more after I saw how hard they worked and the fact that they came back the next day to clear doorways and the bulkhead that had been covered by the snow that came off the roof.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Default six thousand dollars

"Taking 3 1/2 days for a crew of nine to remove the top 24" of snow off the cake of ice that covered the Madison NH, Elementary School wing that houses the gym and cafeteria, the selectmen were pleased with the fast service and the $6,000 price..

Two sheared ceiling bolts had dropped to the floor due to the weight on the roof and the town had ordered that school wing closed.

Eight inches of solid ice remained, however, leading the building inspector to rule that every time it snows an additional six inches, the gym must be shut down for safety."

story from Conway Daily Sun
Old 03-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Default in today's LaDaSun....

Today's Laconia Daily Sun has a public notice from the City of Laconia, 'City on the Lakes'.

Building Inspector's Notice - High Levels of Snowfall

"If you own a structure of any kind, you should check the roof for high levels of snow build-up and ice dam formation along the eaves. Low-slope roofs are more susceptible to damage and/or collapse from heavy snow loads than high-slope or steep roofs. Unheated structures are more susceptible to collapse than heated structures. Large amounts of snow on the roofs leads to larger ice dams which can weigh hundreds and hundreds of pounds. If you are concerned that too much snow or ice might damage your roof, call a snow removal contractor to remove the snow and ice from the roof. This is a very dangerous job that should be done by a professional. The National Weather Service has issued a warning that will stretch into next week, which may add additional weight to an already heavily loaded roof structure."

Also, from today's March 1 LaDaSun, the phone numbers pulled from the different 'roof shoveller' ads in the classified.

455-4632, 455-6945, 524-9011, 286-4476, 968-7295, 801-3513, 387-1237, 524-9407, 630-9173, 630-6709,

I know I spent two hours yesterday shovelling the flat area above my sun room. The snow was 3-3 1/2' deep. The top two feet were not too easy to remove with just a normal lifter snow shovel. The lowest foot had been heavily rained on, absorbing lots of water and then freezing. This stuff is like 30lbs/shovel and difficult to lift away from the asphalt shingles.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-01-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
AltonGuy

Default Good Snow Removal contact...

Thanks SteveA for the Snow removal contact. Randy at "Trash-Out Roof Clearing" handled my roof clearing this past Friday. Came within one day of my call. They did a great job and I highly recommend them. Their info again is below:

Cell: (603) 682-2213

Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
joann721

Default roof question

We have a 39' travel trailer on a seasonal site in Meredith. Access is just about impossible with these conditions, we can walk up to it on a trail that has been smoothed down by a snowmobile... but off of the path the snow is waist deep. In your opinions, is the roof of a 2002 travel trailer as
prone to these kinds of problems.. the roof is flat with the exception of two sky lights.. and the sides are of course in for the winter.

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
TomC

Default snow load estimated at 60-70lbs/sqft..

..from the various reports coming out of the north side of the lake, mine included. Your 39' x 8.5' (?) trailer roof represents a surface area of about 330 sqft, and that means a load of around 21,500 lbs, or nearly 11 tons !

Thats a lot of weight. I've been thinking about structures and the potential for collapse.. the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of buildings (and trailers) will stay standing.. some won't of course, but the odds are highly in favor of avoiding a failure.

I'm from the school of "better safe than sorry".. i'd clear the snow.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Heard on the radio today that a building that used to be the Allen-Rogers factory in Laconia, in the middle of being converted to condos, collapsed under the snow, last night.

Also, the Wal-Mart in Tilton was closed today, while a crew removed snow from its' roof.

Last night's slusher storm coated everything down Meredith Neck with about an inch of frozen slush.

Saw a group of thirteen deer, all in one group, walking down the paved road down the end of the Neck, near the Gypsy Camp, close to the the water. Thirteen is a very large group. It's not uncommon to see one, two, or maybe three deer together, but 13 is a lot of deer. They all pretty much looked tired, and very slow moving, and were in no rush to exit the road for the deep snow. They looked like they was enjoying the pavement as opposed to the deep snow. When I drove up and stopped and waited, it's like they were thinking; "Oh no, it's back into that deep snow.....yuchy-pooh!" Must be very tough to be a deer this winter. What they need are some deer snowshoes.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-05-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Weirs guy

joann721, I second Toms vote to clear it. I put off cleaning the roof of my 15' self contained until the other day when I realized the doors were stuck shut and once I did get in I banged my head on the roof, which should have been another 6" above my head!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
joann721

Thanks guys, I think I knew the answer but needed the motivation to do something. If access to it was easier we would have already done it..
HOPEFULLY, if the weather holds off, we will be up early saturday to give it a go... hip boots, shovels & a change of clothes & a thermos of coffee in hand. It is so strange that here is Salem MA the last of our snow is just about melted, and just 90 minutes away it so different.

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721 View Post
It is so strange that here is Salem MA the last of our snow is just about melted, and just 90 minutes away it so different.
Its amazing how fast the snow is melting here even now, I bet I lost almost a foot off some snowbanks since the last snowstorm. But man, that layer of ice at the bottoms gonna be quiet a while. I'd bet I have a foot or more of solid ice on top of my back lawn that I've kept snowblown all winter long!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Paul Sullivan just did mine for $50!!!!
PDK Cottages, LLC 178 Main street Alton 603-875-2725
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
idigtractors

Alton lumber has several names and phone numbers listed on his bulletin board as you go in the door.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #19
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Paul Sullivan just did mine for $50!!!!
PDK Cottages, LLC 178 Main street Alton 603-875-2725
That price you list could be because you have him do all your other plowing/snow blowing and if I remember right you also purchased all your wood from him also. That's a very good reason for an excellent price.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
fatlazyless

Having done my 30' x 30'cottage roof all by myself, paying myself $250 imho would have been a fair and reasonable price. Now, where do I go to get my 250 bucks?

It is hard, tough, difficult work. The bottom foot is like concrete that was mixed without enough cement and therefore can be chiseled out, piece by piece.

Truly a job for Hercules and his team of mythological, action, super-heroes!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-09-2008 at 05:41 PM.