Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
AKADQ

Question I need your input

I just purchased a seasonal cottage on the lake and it needs about 15 years worth of landscaping. I am a little hesitant to start doing yard work, so I went onto the states website because I want to clean the lot up with all its overgrown trees and lack of pruning. The states web site seems to be pretty clear on what you can and can't do and even gives you a point system on cutting trees w/in a given area and pruning.
Just thought I would ask all you members who are on the lake with this touchy issue, as I do not want to create more problems that could land me in trouble...
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
surfnsnow

unreal, people can't work on thier own land without the fear of government interference!
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADQ View Post
I just purchased a seasonal cottage on the lake and it needs about 15 years worth of landscaping. I am a little hesitant to start doing yard work, so I went onto the states website because I want to clean the lot up with all its overgrown trees and lack of pruning. The states web site seems to be pretty clear on what you can and can't do and even gives you a point system on cutting trees w/in a given area and pruning.
Just thought I would ask all you members who are on the lake with this touchy issue, as I do not want to create more problems that could land me in trouble...
How close are your neighbors?

Don't ask, don't tell...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (05-01-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
AC2717

for the tree work Give Court Kelly a call with Arbor Tech www.arbortechnh.com, he will do a great job.. and review the gudeilines probably. they are not as bad as they seem when someone that does the work regularly is looking at it
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
SAB1

Suffer with it for the summer. In the winter nobody will be around.............
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Flylady

Default Enjoy!

Congratulations on joining the club of lake property owners. Most people on the forum can only dream of having that type of problem. Lets keep things in perspective. Anyway get to know your neighbors first. Most likely they will also welcome some tree pruning and yard care.
Good luck and enjoy your summer!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (05-03-2012), ccw1844 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
dpg

Agree about calling in a "local/professional" assuming you have the funds. They will most likely get done what you want to your satisfaction and if they don't I second the middle of winter idea! You can't be responsible for things that break under the weight of winter snow.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Jonas Pilot

Just do it when nobody is looking. What about your conscience? Does doing something against the law make it right if no one is watching?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
AC2717

really Jonas, really
hancoveguy (05-03-2012), RLW (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Jonas Pilot

From the bottom of my heart.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
GTO

Default know your neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Just do it when nobody is looking. What about your conscience? Does doing something against the law make it right if no one is watching?
Make sure Jonas Pilot is not one of your neighbors
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Bear Islander

My advice is take your time and take it slow. When you talk to landscapers they immediately start thinking grass, plantings, shrubs, mulch, fertilizer etc. I believe the natural look is more appropriate both economically, socially and environmentally. A cabin by the lake has it's own beauty, do you need to dress it up with a line a shrubs along the house. That's just gilding the lily! Think pine trees, not Japanese Maples.

If you need to trim some branches in order to improve the view or remove dead wood then that is one thing. Anything more I would approach carefully and thoughtfully.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (05-03-2012), Jonas Pilot (05-02-2012), RLW (05-02-2012), Slickcraft (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Onshore

Strangely it did not occur to me that AKADQ was asking for advice on whether or not he should take the state regs seriously and how much trouble he would get in with the State if he cut too much. I figured he was more worried about his new neighbors and other folks that might weigh in on seeing a little change in the neighborhood.

AKADQ, I would say start doing all of the things that you know you can do after going to the State's website. Given the amount of limbing, pruning, raking, trimming, mowing, planting, tree cutting, mulching, and pathway construction that one can do without a permit it should be enough to keep one busy for a few weekends. You'll upset your neighbors long before you violate the law.

You should always, of course, check with your town to see if there are local requirements. I beleive you will find that Laconia, Wolfeboro, and possibly Moultonboro have stricter local requirements.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (05-03-2012), LIforrelaxin (05-03-2012), meredith weekender (05-08-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Neighbors

I would take a look and see how far your neighbors did improvements on their property. That would give you an idea how much 'slack' your neighbors will tolerate.
Unless, of course, your neighbor is a member of the state legislature............................
AKADQ (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Pricestavern

Default 2nd That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
for the tree work Give Court Kelly a call with Arbor Tech www.arbortechnh.com, he will do a great job.. and review the gudeilines probably. they are not as bad as they seem when someone that does the work regularly is looking at it
We used C. Kelly at our place and were very pleased.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
AKADQ

Thanks for all the replies but the main focus is that we want to make sure we work within the guidelines for what the state says what we can and can't do. I want to make positive improvements and the lack of landscaping to the property is bugging me. I know this can be a touchy subject with heavy consiquences but from what I see on the states website is pretty clear. So with that being said are people following the states guidelines or are you just doing your own thing. From what I am reading, it sounds like this issue can be pretty lacks if things are done within reason.
Most of the work at this point would be just pruning and trimming trees as I do not dare cut anything down. As far as my neighbor goes, I'm sure he would appreciate a little yard clean-up.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #17
dpg

Quote:
Ouch...Hit my head when I fell off my chair from laughing so hard.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I would take a look and see how far your neighbors did improvements on their property. That would give you an idea how much 'slack' your neighbors will tolerate.
Unless, of course, your neighbor is a member of the state legislature............................
Except that in many cases, the neighbors property may have been "landscaped" before the current regulations, and therefore grandfathered in it's current state. So, because they did it then, doesn't mean they could do it now.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I would NEVER do this myself but I had a neighbor tell me that he needed a tree down that might not have passed muster with the shoreline protection act, so he took it down when no one was around, cut the stump at ground level and raked pine needles over it........looked like it never existed.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
meredith weekender (05-08-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Jonas Pilot

It looks like I'm in the minority here. I guess my opinion of doing the "right thing" differs from what most of you think.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As expected Shore things has had the best comment so far, and of course is my recommendation as well. If you have read through the Shoreline protection act, you hopefully realize what you can do with in the law. Stay with in those boundaries, and see what you can accomplish.

I have been slowly working on my property. As I don't want grass and or the maintenance of landscaping, I simply work within the bounds of the law. With selective pruning, I have brought more light to the property, and maintained a wonderful view.

You will find that most neighbors tolerate the general property care very well...

If however you feel the need to have a wonderfully manicured yard, I do suggest working with a landscape designer, and arborist to make sure you stay within the bounds of the law... They can help you come up with a multi-year plan, that your wallet can handle.....
AKADQ (05-03-2012), KPW (05-07-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
It looks like I'm in the minority here. I guess my opinion of doing the "right thing" differs from what most of you think.
Jonas,

I don't think your in the minority here, Most people try their best to stay with in the law. As a matter of fact that person that started this post is here trying to understand what he can do inside the law before he even starts working.

I think the major concern for most of us that have been part of this forum and been on the lake for many years, is that now more then worrying about the shoreline protection act, we have to worry about how neighbors respond. My neighbors and myself work with in the laws all the time, however when we do things close to each others property, we discuss it. Manly because we don't want to surprise each other, and because over time we have built friendships. If you have just bought you don't have those friendships, and the last thing you want to do is offend someone.
Jonas Pilot (05-03-2012), Slickcraft (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
Kamper

You've probably already figurred out that you can remove dead, diseased or dangerous trees without issue. For erosion control purposes it is preferable to leave roots alone.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #24
SAB1

Part of the problem is there are two many things go on and don;t get reported. So people figure they can get away it too. I'd love to know how many people really get caught and penalized. Just a couple weeks ago I saw on the north side of little Bear where someone is building. Not only did they cut trees down right to the water edge some excavator put four or five huge boulders in the water to hold back the banking and in the middle of the boulders put granite steps up out of the water. How could that be?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
Merrymeeting

There are always those who will do whatever they want, no matter what. But thankfully society mostly works because the majority support what makes sense.

Yes, you can always skit the rules and hope that no one notices or complains. Clearly some here have. But you better hope you are not caught or someone moves some pine needles. The consequences can be expensive.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
jrc

Obviously you should abide by all the rules and laws that apply.

But remember that these only apply to people who don't want to spend the money to buy an exception to the rules. That's what ticks me off about them. The average Joe, must just bend to the rules or spend more on process than on the project. But for a large builder, building a large project, the litigation and permiting cost are a small percentage of the overall project cost.

Look at the Meredith waterfront near Church Landing. Imagine you want to put a wooden walkway/dock along your entire waterfront, you would need a fistful of permits, if you could get them.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
holeinthewall

Default Water front buildings

It amazes me what people get away with on islands. I am seeing bars, tiki type, large wooden structures,things of that nature going up right on the shoreline. I haven't seen any permits posted. I thought there were shoreline conservation groups that kept an eye on this stuff.

When I had my dock built, the convervation commission in Tuftonboro told me that I could never have an awning over it. Yet within view of my place there is a relatively new wooden cover over a u - shaped dock.

There is one place that has built stuff that totally covers their shore front. What an eyesore.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
holeinthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeinthewall View Post
It amazes me what people get away with on islands. I am seeing bars, tiki type, large wooden structures,things of that nature going up right on the shoreline. I haven't seen any permits posted. I thought there were shoreline conservation groups that kept an eye on this stuff.

When I had my dock built, the convervation commission in Tuftonboro told me that I could never have an awning over it. Yet within view of my place there is a relatively new wooden cover over a u - shaped dock.

There is one place that has built stuff that totally covers their shore front. What an eyesore.

Not being able to put an awning on a deck is the type of stuff that drives me crazy. Please explain how that makes any sense. Is it ok to have a table with an umbrella on the deck? Rules on top of rules after having no rules for the last 100 years.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
SAB1

Quote:

Right on Holeinthewall. Go around Little Bear and and loook at the construction going on on the north side of the island just after you shoot thru that narrow gap between Little Bear and Long Island. How is that guy getting the cutting/rocks/steps in there?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

I think you must be lost...check your GPS. What you've described is exactly what Rusty has built/is building on the shorefront in Meredith Bay at Town Docks and Church Landing. Where's the outrage?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote