Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2024, 03:49 PM   #1
camp guy

Default Eye doctor

Any suggestions for eye doctors in the immediate Lakes Region ? PMs welcome.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 05:16 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,945 Posts
Default Dr Savard

Doctor Andrew Savard at the Laconia Eye and Laser Center on Hounsell Ave is fantastic!

https://www.laconiaeye.com/

Dan
Old 05-29-2024, 06:06 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,023 Times in 928 Posts

Also at Laconia Eye Dr Scott.
https://www.laconiaeye.com/eye-docto...glas-scott-md/

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:01 AM   #4
WinterHarborGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Yes, great doctor and a heck of a nice guy.
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 03:34 AM   #5
ApS

Arrow Cataracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHarborGuy View Post
Yes, great doctor and a heck of a nice guy.
Dr. Scott is an Ophthalmologist.

He took a great history for a cataract surgery, but winter set in, and the procedure got done in Vero Beach, Florida.

Ask me how it turned out.

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2024, 04:35 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,402 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Dr. Scott is an Ophthalmologist.

He took a great history for a cataract surgery, but winter set in, and the procedure got done in Vero Beach, Florida.

Ask me how it turned out.

How did it turn out?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:35 PM   #7
DRH

Default Dr. Scott

Dr. Scott at Laconia Eye is an excellent eye medical doctor/surgeon/opthalmalogist. But his partner in the practice, Dr. Garfinkle, retired last December and they haven't yet found another MD to replace him. According to their website they have several optometrists, but Dr. Scott is currently the only medical doctor.

As a result, I'm not sure he is taking on any new patients at this time. Worth a call to his office to inquire, though.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:54 PM   #8
gravy boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Any suggestions for eye doctors in the immediate Lakes Region ? PMs welcome.
I went to Laconia Eye for exam and one pair of glasses. Glasses very pricey at any eye doctor place. So I bought two additional pair online and saved some money. GlassesUSA. You download a photo of your head and you can virtually try them on. So far so good. But at my age I know what styles work and what styles don’t work. Good luck!
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:21 PM   #9
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
I went to Laconia Eye for exam and one pair of glasses. Glasses very pricey at any eye doctor place. So I bought two additional pair online and saved some money. GlassesUSA. You download a photo of your head and you can virtually try them on. So far so good. But at my age I know what styles work and what styles don’t work. Good luck!
Agree. Got a fair price at the eye shop across from Winnisquam marina. Can’t remember the name. BJ, Costco and Walmart can’t be beat if you are shopping price

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:42 PM   #10
camp guy

Default Eye doctor

Thank you to all the posters and their suggestions. I appreciate the input very much.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 04:33 AM   #11
wobbelbill

Default eye care at Winnisquam Bridge

Across from Winnisquam Marine- In Focus Eye Care /great Doctors and staff as well as fair price on glasses
wobbelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 09:25 PM   #12
ApS

Exclamation Be Careful Out There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
How did it turn out?
Given the long preparation period, I asked that the day's surgery be done on both eyes--which, lucky for me--was declined.

For extra expense, I went from halos around street lights and excellent formerly-corrected vision to...fuzzy distance vision and brighter halos around street lights.

I can't focus sharply in the space between eight inches to thirty inches, so most bench projects and meal preparations are done in a cloud.

Friends are disappointed when I can't tell them what the markings are on familiar aircraft overhead--or even which have amphibious floats.

The Internet says the vast majority of these restorative surgeries have happy customers, but I was never told that this procedure, once made, can't be fixed.

Old 06-16-2024, 04:17 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,402 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Given the long preparation period, I asked that the day's surgery be done on both eyes--which, lucky for me--was declined.

For extra expense, I went from halos around street lights and excellent formerly-corrected vision to...fuzzy distance vision and brighter halos around street lights.

I can't focus sharply in the space between eight inches to thirty inches, so most bench projects and meal preparations are done in a cloud.

Friends are disappointed when I can't tell them what the markings are on familiar aircraft overhead--or even which have amphibious floats.

The Internet says the vast majority of these restorative surgeries have happy customers, but I was never told that this procedure, once made, can't be fixed.

Very interesting. The same thing happened to me. I thought I was the only one. It is fuzzy for me both far and near and I keep blinking to try to clear it up. But I cannot make out things in the distance, I can see them but not sure what they are. The good thing is I can read small print without glasses. Nice not to have glasses all over. I have the second surgery too but I didn't see much difference if any.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 03:53 PM   #14
ITD

Quote:

Argh, sorry it didn't go well. Was Dr. Scott the one who did the procedure?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 08:00 PM   #15
tummyman

For some people, they need a quick laser procedure post surgery to correct problems. You might need this to improve.

I just had cataract surgery. Prior to the actual surgery, my doctor determined I needed a procedure called Super Keratotomy to smooth out issues with my cornea that could result in poor cataract results. So we started the "Super K" process...one eye at a time and 6 weeks between each procedure. Next came cataract surgery...one at a time and 6 weeks in between. Results are fantastic. Still on eye drops for another 4 weeks in the second eye.

I had the eye surgery performed in MA with a large practice located in Waltham....must have 50 eye doctors in the practice. My surgeon has performed over 41,000 cataract operations.

Contact Opthalmic Consultants of Boston. *1 (800) 635-0489‬ if you want a second opinion. Web site is..... eyeboston.com. You really need to get a second opinion as your eyesight is so vital. Don't just assume that nothing can be done. Just read some of the resumes of the doctors.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
ITD (06-17-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:28 PM   #16
ApS

Arrow In Florida...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Argh, sorry it didn't go well. Was Dr. Scott the one who did the procedure?
No. Procedure was in Vero Beach, Florida.

See reply #5.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:31 AM   #17
ITD

Quote:
No. Procedure was in Vero Beach, Florida.

See reply #5.
Ok, I saw that, but some doctors travel too. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (06-17-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 12:21 AM   #18
ApS

Arrow Some Don't Travel...

That "quick laser surgery" was performed by an Ophthalmologist in central Florida named Dr. Welch (not related to the fine Ophthalmologist/Revolutionary War-reenactor/sailor now retired in Wolfeboro).

The laser was directed to microscopic areas of my vision. Dr. Welch said some patients are unable to see this five minute process, but what I saw were tiny shards of a thin yellow material flying hither and yon. Whatever took place was recommended, but I saw very little improvement, except for less yellow in my vision.

Dr. Welch looked familiar when I realized he had bought a sailboat from me a few days earlier!

A "second opinion" elsewhere disclosed that no further procedures could be done. I'm now determined to leave both eyes alone anyway.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:36 AM   #19
ITD

Quote:
That "quick laser surgery" was performed by an Ophthalmologist in central Florida named Dr. Welch (not related to the fine Ophthalmologist/Revolutionary War-reenactor/sailor now retired in Wolfeboro).

The laser was directed to microscopic areas of my vision. Dr. Welch said some patients are unable to see this five minute process, but what I saw were tiny shards of a thin yellow material flying hither and yon. Whatever took place was recommended, but I saw very little improvement, except for less yellow in my vision.

Dr. Welch looked familiar when I realized he had bought a sailboat from me a few days earlier!

A "second opinion" elsewhere disclosed that no further procedures could be done. I'm now determined to leave both eyes alone anyway.
So you had your cataract removed and replaced with a lens?

The complication rate for cataract surgery is about 1.2%. This sounds like a small chance, but it really isn't. Lasik runs close to the same risk which why I elected not to have it done.

Cataract surgery is a little different IMO in that you have lost acuity by the time the procedure is recommended. So it's worth the risk, but I would only do one eye at a time. I've known quite a few people who have had cataracts fixed and say it is life changing.

Sorry you are having these issues. Hopefully you have looked for other opinions, hopefully from a hard case doc who specializes in the issues you are having.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-24-2024)