Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2024, 12:01 PM   #1
mishman

Default The threat to Lake Winnipesaukee is real

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/opin...7240df13f.html

Quote:
The threat to Lake Winnipesaukee is real
How many times has this happened to you? You bring a guest down to your dock or on your boat and they marvel at the clarity of Lake Winnipesaukee’s water when seeing it for the first time. That clarity is something we take for granted until something jars us back to reality - like the cyanobacteria blooms that impacted many areas around the lake in June.
The reality is that Lake Winnipesaukee’s water quality is under increasing threat and everyone who loves the lake needs to do their part to protect it. It’s easy to be deluded into believing a lake this big, with its abundant spring fed waters will always be clear, clean and safe. Unfortunately, scientific data shows that nutrient levels have increased and clarity levels have decreased over time, increasing the likelihood of cyanobacteria blooms.
Lake Winnipesaukee is the engine that drives economic activity in the Lake’s Region. In 2021, the Nelson A. Rockefeller Center for Public Policy and the Social Sciences at Dartmouth College, NH completed a policy brief for the Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) estimating the total value that Lake Winnipesaukee brings to the Lakes Region at over $17 billion; with $16B of it tied directly to property values.
For those who care about Lake Winnipesaukee, the time to act is now. You have the opportunity for your donation to have 5X the impact due to a grant to LWA from the EPA to battle cyanobacteria and other threats to the lake. In addition to a financial contribution, there are many actions you can take individually and collectively to protect Winnipesaukee’s waters.
The Lake Winnipesaukee Association has monitored the lake’s water quality for over forty years. Since, 2010, LWA has conducted bay area management studies and developed mitigation plans for six of the ten bays that make up the lake. These studies assess phosphorus and other key nutrient levels in the lake and identify where these harmful nutrients are entering each bay. The studies are the critical first step in defining and then addressing the threat to water quality.
Phosphorus is public enemy #1 when it comes to clean lake water. High phosphorus levels are the rocket fuel for cyanobacteria blooms. Lake Kanasatka, a waterbody that feeds into Lake Winnipesaukee in Moultonborough, has experienced consistent and long-term cyanobacteria blooms for the past four summers. These harmful blooms, including the one impacting the lake this week, keep pets and people out of the water, due to the potential nerve and liver toxins that may be released by the cyanobacteria.
Lake Kanasatka has undergone an expensive but hopefully effective treatment of its waters this spring, but such a treatment is impractical for a lake the size of Winnipesaukee.
What can you do to help protect the lake we all love? First, join the Lake Winnipesaukee Association (go to winnipesaukee.org), the group dedicated solely to the protection of our lake. There’s power in numbers. Your contribution will help support and increase a range of LWA activities for monitoring water quality, developing mitigation plans for each bay, working with the towns and individual shorefront owners to implement best practices, and forcefully advocating clean water practices at both the town and state level.
If you are located in the Winnipesaukee watershed, become knowledgeable about what you can do on your property to minimize threats to the lake. A short list: maintain a well vegetated buffer along the shoreline, keep your lawn at least 25 ft back from the lake, use minimum fertilizer with no phosphorus, pump your septic system on a regular basis (usually every three to five years depending on size and use) and make your property LakeSmart.
The bottomline: we can’t take Lake Winnipesaukee’s water quality for granted; active measures at the individual, town and state level are necessary to protect its water quality. Please do all you can to support a clean and clear Lake Winnipesaukee for this and future generations.

Mark Ishkanian of Moultonborough is on the Board of the Lake Winnipesaukee Association. For more info: winnipesaukee.org
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-07-2024), BroadHopper (09-23-2024), CTYankee (09-09-2024), farechofisherman (09-09-2024), FlyingScot (09-07-2024), Garcia (09-07-2024), Grove84 (09-07-2024), Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc (09-12-2024), Sue Doe-Nym (09-07-2024), The Winster (09-23-2024), welch100 (Yesterday), Winilyme (09-08-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 05:20 PM   #2
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
https://www.laconiadailysun.com/opin...7240df13f.html

Quote:
The threat to Lake Winnipesaukee is real...
Why is no mention made of the Major Goose Infestation as a significant contributing factor ?
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barefootbay For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-11-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 05:25 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,426 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
Why is no mention made of the Major Goose Infestation as a significant contributing factor ?
Good question.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 05:43 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

No non profit money to be made by killing off the geese. Anyone know the financial details and payroll of the LWA? Would be a interesting read

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 06:06 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
No non profit money to be made by killing off the geese. Anyone know the financial details and payroll of the LWA? Would be a interesting read
Tax returns for non-profits are available on Guidestar.com. Yes, the OP was rather strong on the fundraising effort. I bet most of us here already support many lake related associations.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2024, 08:19 PM   #6
ApS

Arrow "Teardowns" and "Nutrients"...

Of course, "the nutrient level has increased".

Simply in regard to everyone's leeching fields, replacement of an old system doesn't erase the previous sequestration of "nutrients".

Now that the previous "teardown" cottage has been replaced by a sprawling palace (which was more than likely rented-out). But now there are two adjacent leeching fields, or twice the volume of nutrients percolating invisibly into the lake's waters.

At the season's start, the water level was too high and in the absence of a "no-wake" order, tons of "nutrients" entered the lake.

Anybody notice how dark the lake water was this summer? (ALL Summer).

I did, and will lay this disaster--for the most part--at the feet of the dam operators.

That our previous summer was the wettest summer I can recall, played an essential part, but "The Perfect Storm" brought us here .

Those other factors which, IMHO, contributed to this can be found below:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...7&postcount=59
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 08:41 PM   #7
John Mercier

Quote:
Because the geese can't add enough phosphorous to achieve the observed results, and since almost the entire Winnipesaukee watershed is a no hunting zone that problem would be with the introduction of further grassy areas - AKA lawns - overcoming it cannot be done with money.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 08:51 PM   #8
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

Simply in regard to everyone's leeching fields, replacement of an old system doesn't erase the previous sequestration of "nutrients".

Now that the previous "teardown" cottage has been replaced by a sprawling palace (which was more than likely rented-out). But now there are two adjacent leeching fields, or twice the volume of nutrients percolating invisibly into the lake's waters.

At the season's start, the water level was too high and in the absence of a "no-wake" order, tons of "nutrients" entered the lake.

I did, and will lay this disaster--for the most part--at the feet of the dam operators.

That our previous summer was the wettest summer I can recall, played an essential part, but "The Perfect Storm" brought us here .

It was explained that the dam operators cannot legally flood the downstream properties; and forward forecasting is for a warmer, wetter winter.
But again, money will not change the amount of rain in short periods of time that we get.

It may be used to expand the sewage network and hook more homes up, but I don't think this grant is in support of that.
Old 09-08-2024, 01:31 AM   #9
SAB1

I’d like to how often, if it all, that island properties get septic pump outs. I have never seen any type of septic service on the water going around on the lake or tied to any private dock doing a pump out.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 04:43 AM   #10
tis

Quote:

We did notice how dark the water was all summer. It was hard to see bottom.
Old 09-08-2024, 05:42 AM   #11
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I’d like to how often, if it all, that island properties get septic pump outs. I have never seen any type of septic service on the water going around on the lake or tied to any private dock doing a pump out.
I had a state approved septic system installed right after we purchased the property on Little Bear. It would get pumped out every 3-4 years, either by Island Service company out of Meredith (who has a special septic pumping barge) or by George Randall with the Kitty Belle who would transport a septic truck from Lamprey Septic Service. I know that several of my neighbors also did pump outs on a regular basis.

https://islandservicecompany.com/
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 05:47 AM   #12
Garcia

Quote:
On a regular basis for me and my neighbors. Coincidentally I talked with one yesterday about it - we’re due in spring 2025

Last edited by Garcia; 09-08-2024 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 05:48 AM   #13
Winni1952

Default Island Pump Out

I just had mine pumped out by Island Services on Rattlesnake and do so every 4 years since I have low usage but I suspect there are many islanders that are not on a regular pump out schedule.

This is my 72 year on Winni and I fear for its future!
Winni1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winni1952 For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (09-23-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 06:10 AM   #14
TomC

i don't think pinning the lake's quality problem on Islander's lack of septic maintenance is going to fly...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 08:14 AM   #15
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
i don't think pinning the lake's quality problem on Islander's lack of septic maintenance is going to fly...
Pretty sure I didn't. Just asked a question. But like above I suspect many are not pumped regularly.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:45 AM   #16
fatlazyless

Default 30 Canada goose in Weirs Beach swim area

Saturday, Sept 7, 2024, 4-pm; air temp 80-degrees, lake water temp 70-degrees; it was a warm 80-degree late summer afternoon with brite sun and humid air and it felt like the summer heat was definitely back for a return encore.

Anyway, looking down from the Weirs Beach boardwalk just above the Weirs Beach public swimming area which is roped off with large floating orange swim line buoys, there were two groups of Canada goose floating in the swim area, inside the rope line. One had 20 Canada goose and the other had ten Canada goose, and there they were, just doing nothing but floating in two groups within the swim lines. There were a few different people in the water at the time, but no one shooed them away, and there was no one like a lifeguard or any city employee present to shoo them away so there they was, just relax'n inside the roped off, swim area.

Who knows but maybe they figured out that the many motor boats, nearby, do not enter the swim area which is roped off with big orange buoys? .....

It's been my experience that Canada goose will totally ignore me when I clap my hands together, very loud, in an effort to shoo them away while in the water, and you need to approach them in close proximity in the water, and physically chase them out of a swim area because they seem to be more comfy out on the water than when on the land close to the water. They appear to be defending their home water and do not get scared away, too easy, out on the water.

Like, whose water is this, the Canada goose maybe assume "I am a Canada goose and I belong here, you are a human, so just go the hell away!" It was like the Canada goose were taking over the Weirs Beach swim area, and nobody was out there, shooing them away. ..... ...... yikes.

One skilled hunter with a shotgun, a small duck boat, and a bird dog could probably do a lot, all up and down Lake Winnipesaukee to drive the Canada goose away, back to Quebec, or somewhere away!

The only good goose, is one that is not here and pooping up the lake! ....... Something needs to be done about all these Canada goose, right here on Lake Winnipesaukee, and the sooner, the better!

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_goose ......
ACME on the Broads (09-11-2024), Pineedles (09-23-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 10:48 AM   #17
livinthedream

Default Too big to treat

Pardon my ignorance if this has been answered already, but why is Winnipesaukee too big to treat? It seems that the treatment to Lake Kanasatka was successful. I understand that Winnipesaukee it much larger, but can't the treatment be scaled to accommodate its size? Property owners on and off the lake, along with anyone who works in the lakes region is dependent on its economy. If this lake turns green as Kanasatka did last year, values drop, tax revenue drops, business go bankrupt, and people flee the area. That is a lot to lose.
I am not qualified to debate the cause. However, people who are smart enough need to identify it, leaving their agendas at the door. Enforce the regulations that have been ignored. Implement new regulations to prevent this from repeating and find a way to fund and execute the solution. Respectfully, our local association with all their efforts is too small and too underfunded to fix this. There is an awful lot of money on the shores of this lake and beyond. If there was a solidly defined plan to attack this problem, I don't think funding it with both private and public funds would be an issue.
livinthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 11:03 AM   #18
WinnisquamZ

After half million spent to treat Lake K. The issue came back. As it always has and always will.

Old 09-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #19
Descant

Default Island Pump out?

Quote:
I’d like to how often, if it all, that island properties get septic pump outs. I have never seen any type of septic service on the water going around on the lake or tied to any private dock doing a pump out
We pump routinely as the service company recommends. We coordinate with neighbors so we can share the cost of the barge. Septic designs for islands are like those on the mainland, based on the number of bedrooms, soils, slopes etc.. Since a lot of the use is weekends only and not at all for ~6 months, the routine pumping may have a longer cycle than mainland. Note that (Gilford) island residents, through tax dollars also supported the construction of the Winnipesaukee River watershed protection project (sewer) that runs from West Alton to the Franklin Wastewater Treatment facility.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:48 AM   #20
ishoot308

Thanked 5,107 Times in 1,985 Posts

Quote:
Pretty sure I didn't. Just asked a question. But like above I suspect many are not pumped regularly.
What do you consider “regularly”? A seasonal camp / home that is used 6 months out of the year certainly doesn’t need to be pumped as much as a full time home that is used year round. Also many of these camps are only used on weekends further reducing the need to pump as much.

We live at our island home 24/7 for 7 months + or - out of the year. We pump on average every 3-4 years. If one of our neighbors is having their tanked pumped we might jump in even if early to have ours pumped as the savings and convenience are worth it. We do use a monthly grease breakdown solution as well as Rid-X twice a year in our tank. We have had zero issues other than a pump replacement this year as we have a pump up system…

The question everyone should be asking is why are other lakes in NH which have very few if any camps on it and no lawns experiencing the same Cyanobacteria issues this year….

Dan
barndoor (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 12:24 PM   #21
Biggd

Thanked 1,128 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
What do you consider “regularly”? A seasonal camp / home that is used 6 months out of the year certainly doesn’t need to be pumped as much as a full time home that is used year round. Also many of these camps are only used on weekends further reducing the need to pump as much.

We live at our island home 24/7 for 7 months + or - out of the year. We pump on average every 3-4 years. If one of our neighbors is having their tanked pumped we might jump in even if early to have ours pumped as the savings and convenience are worth it. We do use a monthly grease breakdown solution as well as Rid-X twice a year in our tank. We have had zero issues other than a pump replacement this year as we have a pump up system…

The question everyone should be asking is why are other lakes in NH which have very few if any camps on it and no lawns experiencing the same Cyanobacteria issues this year….

Dan
The taboo phrase that causes political arguments, "climate change".
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 12:37 PM   #22
Mr. V

Pumping septics will help, but c'mo...the leech field is what does it.

Over time the effluent from septic systems works its way through the soil into the lake.

So long as the property owners have septics there will be problems.

This is compounded by global warming and its effect on lake temperature.

I see no cure.
Old 09-08-2024, 02:02 PM   #23
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We did notice how dark the water was all summer. It was hard to see bottom.
"Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee" published in the 30's describes the "black water" at the north end (Greens Basin, etc) Check the history of logging around 1900 and again following the hurricane of 1938.
Old 09-08-2024, 03:34 PM   #24
SAB1

Quote:

Dan
I would say 3-4 years. Thats how often we did our seasonal camp. The cyanobacteria popping up everywhere on remote lakes .....lack of ice.
Old 09-08-2024, 04:45 PM   #25
John Mercier

Quote:

Dan
Which ones would those be?
Old 09-08-2024, 05:08 PM   #26
BrownstoneNorth

Default Newfound Lake

I'm pretty sure there's never been a cyanobacteria problem in Newfound Lake, the cleanest lake in NH and, possibly, the USA. It's not as big as Winni but, at 4500 acres, certainly not small, and it's 180' feet at its deepest, about the same as Winni. But it's not as heavily populated as Winni and it's fed by several springs, which might be why it's so pristine.

We used to frequent Wellington State Beach on Newfound before we bought in Wolfeboro and still go occasionally because it's so gorgeous and clean. Once in a rare while there's a fecal bacteria advisory or warning after a day when it's been mobbed with little kids from day camps but it's lifted shortly.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 05:20 PM   #27
WinnisquamZ

Newfound is feed by many springs that turn the water over within hours

Old 09-08-2024, 05:35 PM   #28
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
I'm pretty sure there's never been a cyanobacteria problem in Newfound Lake, the cleanest lake in NH and, possibly, the USA. It's not as big as Winni but, at 4500 acres, certainly not small, and it's 180' feet at its deepest, about the same as Winni. But it's not as heavily populated as Winni and it's fed by several springs, which might be why it's so pristine.

We used to frequent Wellington State Beach on Newfound before we bought in Wolfeboro and still go occasionally because it's so gorgeous and clean. Once in a rare while there's a fecal bacteria advisory or warning after a day when it's been mobbed with little kids from day camps but it's lifted shortly.
And I assume Newfound has a lot less boats.
Old 09-08-2024, 05:43 PM   #29
FlyingScot

Quote:

Dan
According to the LWA info sessions, it's a combination of phosphorous and temperature. So anytime the phosphorous in the water goes up, we are more likely to have cyanobacteria, milfoil, etc.

It's kind of funny/sad, that so many point the finger at other causes of phosphorous than the ones they contribute to (not saying this is you, your septic routine sounds great). But the reality is that lawns, septic, development in general, poor water handing from stuff done decades ago, geese...all contribute. A lake with no lawns or camps may have increased phosphorous because of other stuff--poorly designed roadways, a paper mill from 100 years ago, whatever. Warm weather in summer, no ice in winter exacerbates the problem

We should stop pointing fingers and do whatever we can to help reduce this stuff
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
The Winster (09-10-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 06:23 PM   #30
dickiej

Is it possible to “lose” a lake? In other words, can the quality of water become so comprised that the water stays cloudy and the algae proliferates?
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 06:36 PM   #31
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
According to the LWA info sessions, it's a combination of phosphorous and temperature. So anytime the phosphorous in the water goes up, we are more likely to have cyanobacteria, milfoil, etc.

It's kind of funny/sad, that so many point the finger at other causes of phosphorous than the ones they contribute to (not saying this is you, your septic routine sounds great). But the reality is that lawns, septic, development in general, poor water handing from stuff done decades ago, geese...all contribute. A lake with no lawns or camps may have increased phosphorous because of other stuff--poorly designed roadways, a paper mill from 100 years ago, whatever. Warm weather in summer, no ice in winter exacerbates the problem

We should stop pointing fingers and do whatever we can to help reduce this stuff
As I have said in the past, the lake is being loved to death !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 07:09 PM   #32
ishoot308

Thanked 5,107 Times in 1,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
The taboo phrase that causes political arguments, "climate change".
I think everyone agrees that climate change is occurring… As an avid winter outdoor enthusiast, it is clearly evident to me that our winters are getting warmer without a doubt. You would have to be living in a cave not see it! Now the reason for the climate change will bring political arguments…

I honestly feel the reason for the large outbreak of cyano this year is we have had a perfect storm for it to occur. Two back to back years of little or no ice cover due to warmer weather, rainy wet springs causing excessive flooding and storm water runoff into our lakes and streams, early spring heat and of course a hot summer all contributed to what has occurred. Yes of course lawn fertilizer and geese all contribute to the issue but in what percentages I have no idea…

My guess is and this is just a guess, that if every lakeside lawn didn’t use fertilizer, we would still have the cyano issue this year. Too many other factors involved in the perfect storm we had for the cyano issue not to occur.

What about dock bubblers that are run all winter long to keep the ice from freezing and promote shoreline algae growth…should those be banned along with phosphorous fertilizer?….i believe they should…

Food for thought…

Dan
Biggd (09-09-2024), FlyingScot (09-09-2024), Pineedles (09-23-2024), SAB1 (09-09-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 07:43 PM   #33
John Mercier

All the run-off doesn't come from lakeside lawns.
It can run off a lawn, down the street, and enter from far away.

But what remote lakes are experiencing CB blooms?
It begs the question, because CB blooms may be more about we are now just more actively looking for them.
More eyes paying more attention.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:06 AM   #34
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Is it possible to “lose” a lake? In other words, can the quality of water become so comprised that the water stays cloudy and the algae proliferates?
Yes. Google Lake Champlain, agricultural runoff the primary driver there. Closer to home, Kanasatka is at immediate risk, and it feeds directly into Winnipesaukee. The treatments failed
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 03:53 AM   #35
ApS

Question Are those settling ponds north of lake Kanasatka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Newfound is feed by many springs that turn the water over within hours
Two things have since dawned on me.

1) Lake Winnipesaukee has historically been fed by springs.

2) In the 1950s, lake water had been drawn for every summer camp use.

Filtered by osmosis or not, leaching fields concentrated ALL the "nutrients" found in lake water and sequestered the "nutrients" deep underground. (But filtered, nonetheless).

People on wells aren't drawing the lake's waters, so the "nutrients" aren't being filtered-out at those locations. By the hundreds, gallons of spring water from distant springs is also brought for consumption--again--not filtering the lake's waters to purify it--at least "temporarily".

Therefore, water from wells is "stealing" the pure water found in the springs--which, in turn--had been purifying Lake Winnipesaukee's waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
All the run-off doesn't come from lakeside lawns.
It can run off a lawn, down the street, and enter from far away.

But what remote lakes are experiencing CB blooms?
It begs the question, because CB blooms may be more about we are now just more actively looking for them.
More eyes paying more attention.
No doubt.

While my circulator may open the ice, it is on a thermostatic device. Without the circulator, the mink here would have to move on. They might have to move anyway, as the mussels have disappeared this year--displaced by some kind algae plant.

Lakes are "lost" due to "eutrophication". Lake Winnipesaukee is too deep to end this way--anytime soon.
Old 09-09-2024, 04:05 AM   #36
tis

Quote:
Two things have since dawned on me.

1) Lake Winnipesaukee has historically been fed by springs.

2) In the 1950s, lake water had been drawn for every summer camp use.

Filtered by osmosis or not, leaching fields concentrated ALL the "nutrients" found in lake water and sequestered the "nutrients" deep underground. (But filtered, nonetheless).

People on wells aren't drawing the lake's waters, so the "nutrients" aren't being filtered-out at those locations. By the hundreds, gallons of spring water from distant springs is also brought for consumption--again--not filtering the lake's waters to purify it--at least "temporarily".

Therefore, water from wells is "stealing" the pure water found in the springs--which, in turn--had been purifying Lake Winnipesaukee's waters.

No doubt.

While my circulator may open the ice, it is on a thermostatic device. Without the circulator, the mink here would have to move on. They might have to move anyway, as the mussels have disappeared this year--displaced by some kind algae plant.

Lakes are "lost" due to "eutrophication". Lake Winnipesaukee is too deep to end this way--anytime soon.
That's a thought. I have been trying to think what has changed, also, and dock circulators are something we didn't have.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:24 AM   #37
retired

I would think the water leaving the lake at the Lakeport Dam would be somewhat equal to the water coming into the lake from springs and streams.
Perhaps analyzing the data would be revealing.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #38
winterh

Quote:
The govt has helped the people of Springfield, Ohio find the answer to the Geese problem.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-24-2024), ApS (09-10-2024), barndoor (09-09-2024), LoveLakeLife (09-10-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 11:23 AM   #39
Descant

Quote:
I would say 3-4 years. Thats how often we did our seasonal camp. The cyanobacteria popping up everywhere on remote lakes .....lack of ice.
"Lack of ice..." Are all the dock bubblers contributing? Don't they extend the growing season for milfoil, too?
Old 09-10-2024, 07:06 AM   #40
rick35

Saw this on CNN under their photos of the week. It's in Serbia, not Lake Winnipesaukee. Is this what's coming?
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-12-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 07:39 AM   #41
Puck

That's duckweed, not algae or cyanobacteria. Very different. Notice it is only on the surface and not mixed in the water.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 04:38 AM   #42
ApS

Exclamation New Mystery Appearance...!

Yesterday, hearing a loud chainsaw, I raised my trusty 18x binoculars to see what was going on across Winter Harbor. All I could see was a new clearing and a white crane.

But also seen, were black stripes across nearly every boulder in view. Winnipesaukee's ""bathtub ring" has returned! It was 2004 when first written on these pages. Back then, there were fewer than a dozen boulders (with stripes) across the way. The "ring" doesn't appear in pre-WWII films made of Lake Winnipesaukee.

ETA:

Introducing duckweed into my 125-gallon fresh water aquarium, I saw that it was a very delicate floating two-leaved plant, with a tiny single root. The previously-depicted image is possibly of the same family, but more robust.

Last season's observations with all the rain:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=28944

Last edited by ApS; 09-13-2024 at 05:36 AM. Reason: ETA added + Removed contentious (but still open!) 2004 URL regarding lake changes.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #43
AltonCAM

I hate it when people use photos of other disasters to make their arguments they are phony propaganda pushing morons. They can’t construct a logical argument without misleading information. Your conclusion could be valid but reject it when I find out you have attempted to mislead me.

AltonCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 03:59 AM   #44
ApS

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonCAM View Post
I hate it when people use photos of other disasters to make their arguments they are phony propaganda pushing morons. They can’t construct a logical argument without misleading information. Your conclusion could be valid but reject it when I find out you have attempted to mislead me.
That lake in Serbia [southeastern Europe] has a different problem, as Duckweed isn't toxic.

Under continuing modification, "The Perfect Storm" theory has moved the early (and prolonged) very high lake level to number 1 causation--as below:

Old 09-23-2024, 08:58 AM   #45
salty dog

We’re in Burlington VT for three days. It’s all around the boats and docks in the marinas.

Pineedles (09-23-2024)