Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default History of Lake Shore Park

Hello folks,

I'm a brand new member. These forums are wonderful. I have been reading the posts from McDude and Rattlesnake Girl, and I'm in awe of the knowledge they, and many others, have of the Lakes Region.

I'm one of the orginal members at Lake Shore Park (LSP), and have been collecting old postcards, photos, and maps for several years. I've begun to compile a "history" of LSP.

Several of you have posted pictures and postcards.. some of which I do not have. If it's OK with you guys, I'd like to send an email to several folks that have posted pictures and postcards to get permission to use them in my project. I will, of course, give full credit.

I'm also looking for any information anyone may have about the Lakeshore Inn that once was at LSP. I believe it burned down in the early 1900's. Any LSP information would be wonderful also.

Thanks in advance for any help.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Pepper

Steve, my MIL spent every summer at LSP as a child. Her parents started out with a tent platform, and eventually built a small cabin there. She's 87 now, with a memory like a steel trap. Her very fondest memories are of her childhood and teen years at LSP, and she's got lots of great stories and information.

I'll pick her brain and get some info off to you as soon as I'm able. I may even be able to find some old photographs in the albums!

GravyBoat - fear not ... I won't pull out any photos of the shenanigans that went on up the road a piece! That is, unless our cousin from Texas doesn't get busy and start posting here!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Wow!

Thank You.... all help appreciated! I started in LSP in 1973... It's a wonderful place.. and my plan is to try to preserve some of it's history for my kids and future generations..

I'd love to include anything you can send...

Steve
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Steve:
The best source (of course!) is this website. Here's some info on Lakeshore Park from the Lakeshore RR thread.
(See the thread for "super-sized versions of the text)

Not to sound like a broken record, but, the best source for any Gilford historical information is Adair Mulligan's book, "The Gunstock Parish: A History of Gilford, NH. Pages 205-207 are devoted to Lakeshore Park with references found on five other pages. Photos are found of the Lakeshore Inn and the Pavilion.

Her opening words about the park goes something like this...

"The Lakeshore Inn and the Park on Belknap Pt. Road were perhaps the most extensive summer development on Gilford's Winnipesaukee shore at the turn of the nineteenth century. the property was originally known as Carr's Point after Richard Carr's early farmstead, which itself was frequented by travellers from Meredith Bridge bound for Alton or the seacoast. The Lakeshore RR under the urging of its' president, purchased the property, intending to create the most popular resort on the southern shore of the lake. The company envisioned a resort for primarily railroad employees, with an inn, pavilion, picnic area, tent platforms and a railroad station.........The Maid of the Isles stopped there twice a day and the Lady of the Lake four times a day.................."

Last edited by mcdude; 09-15-2006 at 04:24 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Lake Charm (12-11-2013)
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default The "Wee Hoose"

About ten years ago it was still there and still named the "Wee Hoose". That was my first trip up to Lake Winnipesaukee back in 1946 or 1947. The Wee Hoose belonged to Jim and Millie Foster, Scottish immigrants from Andover MA, who also started with a tent platform I believe in the 1920's and then grew into a "cottage". Uncle Jim and Aunt Millie were my mom's aunt and uncle, therefore my great-aunt and great-uncle, and of course "Wee Hoose" is the Scottish dialect for wee house, small house, and small it was.

I have little recollection of the stays there, except that Uncle Jim would sleep on an "L" shaped porch in the warm weather, and my Dad & I would join him when we came up. There was a "cooler" that was built into the floor right next to Uncle Jim's cot, and there was always some ice and an eyeopener in the cooler. And an eyeopener it was...Uncle Jim would reach down into that cooler and get an eyeopener for himself and wake up my dad and get him one too. Me....I had to go inside and get milk out of the icebox (truly an ice box, not a refrigerator.).

I can barely remember the beach, and swimming, but do remember walking around the park and it seemed like everyone knew everyone else.

I know there were dances at the Pavillion on Saturday nights, with kid's dances early, and then the kids would get put to bed, and the adults would take over. Teams of parents would go around and check on the kids to make sure they were alright. (used to do the same thing in our old neighborhood in Reading MA...adults at neighborhood cookouts in the summer and sledding on the hill on our street in the winter time). Of course, if parents did that sort of thing now, it would be called neglect and the kids would be taken away !

Uncle Jim and Aunt Millie are long gone, as are all the rest of the family, so that's about it for info from this end. This is where my user name comes from, because as a toddler, I couldn't say "Winnipesaukee", so I would simply say "Up the Saukee", and that phrase stuck.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
This is where my user name comes from, because as a toddler, I couldn't say "Winnipesaukee", so I would simply say "Up the Saukee", and that phrase stuck.
Thanks for the history from your experiences at LSP and how your user name came to be. Good thing your pronunciation has improved.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
.. Good thing your pronunciation has improved.
Who say's it has?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Gee thanks Pepper

Go ahead, ya live by the sword and ya die by the sword .

My pronunciation ain't never been no better and it ain't gettin' no worser, so if I ain't misunderstood none, then it ain't never gonna matter none! Right???? (Yikes, I think I contracted a Yogi Berra virus )
Old 07-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
SteveA
Deceased Member

McDude, Upthesaukke,

Thanks for the response's

If either of you ever want to get into LSP for "memories" or pictures... let me know.. I'd love to show you folks around..

the old railroad station is now a 4 unit "motel" that we let out to members families... and I would love to go see if Upthesaukke's old place is sill there.

The pavillion still looks exacly like the old postcard mcdude posted.. and we still have dances every saturday night...

SteveA
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
MWSP

Default Miss Lake Shore Park

While doing research for our pageant last year, I ran across a story about a bathing beauty pageant that used to be held there. The winner was called Miss Lake Shore Park. I'm sorry but I cannot recall where I ran across this article.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Miss LSP

MWSP,

I've been a member at LSP for thirty years... they started the contest back in the mid 60's...

It's not a "real" pagent type event... no talent or bathing suit. It's alot of fun for the young ladies... there are 2 divisions.. Miss and Jr. Miss. They get a chance to walk the runway.. and the hall is always full.

Really just a fun thing.

Thanks for the post!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
MWSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
MWSP,

I've been a member at LSP for thirty years... they started the contest back in the mid 60's...
That is interesting. I believe the story I saw was much older since the history I was working on at that time was the 1930's through the mid 1950's.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #13
SteveA
Deceased Member

Well that may be correct.... I've been there since 73.... I'll ask some of the "old timers" at LSP
Thx SteveA
Old 08-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
mcdude

Default Short Beach

Old 08-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
carguy

Hi All,

I am the newest of the newbies in this forum. I have been visiting this web site for many years, and I finally decided to join the forum so I can share my memories of the Lakes region and Lake Shore Park.

My dad purchased a tent platform for $50 at Lake Shore Park (LSP) the year I was born, 1943. Through the years the camp was improved until my family sold it in the early 1960's. The camp was located on the main road between the Pavilion and shoreline just west of "short Beach" in the "big pier area". McDude just posted today a post card of a man standing by a tree with Short Beach in the background. Our camp was situated about 50 feet to the right from where the man is standing. Somewhere in the family archives there is a photo of me at 5 months sitting on a blanket on short beach. In the background you can see the raft with diving tower sitting on the beach. It appears that the raft was not launched that Summer, probably needing repairs. I think the raft with tower was moored just off "short beach" in the Big Pier area.

There is another picture of me sitting in our Amesbury Dory boat with a 7-1/2 HP Scott Atwater outboard motor at Short Beach. My younger brother looks to be about two years old in the photo, so the year must have been 1947.

I have so many memories of me spending my Summers when I was growing up at Lake Shore Park. There were so many kids to hang out with. We had the "Big Pier Crowd' and the "Long Beach Crowd" of kids. We spent a lot of time together on the waterfront making rafts, playing water baseball, playing hide and seek on and under the Big Pier, fishing, tubing, and later when we were teenagers, we spent a lot of time waterskiing.

In an earlier post in this thread SteveA made reference to the Miss Lake Shore Park beauty contest starting in the early 1960's. It actually started earlier than that, in the 1950's. Two winners that I can remember, Donna DeGroot and Peggy Weeks went on to win the Miss Winnipesaukee pageant held at Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens at the Weirs. I think Jerry Donahue's sister won the Miss Winnipesaukee Pageant prior to Donna and Peggy winning it.

We all had a lot of fun at the LSP Pavilion in the evenings. During the week we danced to the music coming from an old Seeburg Juke Box that played 78 RPM vinyl records. Later we went big time when a newer Seeburg holding 100 45 RPM records replaced the old Seeburg 78 RPM machine.

I learned to dance on the Pavilion floor. Saturday Night there was usually a live band for the adults and Johnny Coyle mc'ed the festivities for many years. He eventually became one of the first presidents of the Lake Shore Park Association.

The Jones Family owned the Park when I was young. Frank and Doris Jones ran the main part of the Park with the store and Pavilion. Frank's brother, George helped Frank run his end of the Park. Frank Jones' other brother, Harry and his wife, (I think her name was Blanche) ran the eastren end of the Park. Thet had a little restaurant in the old LSP railroad depot which was later turned into a motel in the late 1950's. my parents and older brotherused to take my brother and I to the restaurant for a coke and a hot dog.

Over the course of the next few weeks, I will post many more of my memories of growing up at LSP in the Summer.I have a couple of large reels of color 8mm home movies that my dad took in the late 1940's and early 1950's at LSP.
I should look into getting these movies preserved on to a DVD. The Gilford Historical Society would love to have these, I bet.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carguy For This Useful Post:
LittleMiss61 (09-14-2012)
Old 08-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #16
carguy

Default Shot Beach Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
My familie's camp was located about 50' to the right of where the man is standing by the tree. My dad bought it from Harold Holmes in 1943 for $50. It was a tent platform with walls at that time. I was a couple of months old when he bought the camp.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

WOW!

I'm a newbie to... welcome

Carguy.... boy do I want to talk to you... I'd love to see any old pics you have of LSP...

mcdude is incredible... he has more local info to the "west side" of the big lake...

Be sure you look up his other posts on the Lake Shore railroad...

upthesaukie is another great reference for LSP... ask him about the Wee House!

Thanks for posting...

Contact me if you ever want to come into LSP to revisit old memories..

Thx SteveA
Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default present Day LSP

carguy,,

Some of the family names you mention... Donohue, DeGroot are still in LSP.

I sent you an e-mail with even more names of the oldtimers...

SteveA
Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
carguy

Default Lake Shore Inn

SteveA:

I can remember in the early 1950's some of the remains of the foundation of the Lake Shore Inn were hidden in the tall grass and brush just to the left of the entrance road to LSP, the leg of the road which would be closest to the present day marina.

The Spring House was still standing in the early 1950's and that would have been located about 100 yards into the woods behind where the foundation was for the Lake Shore Inn. In the 1950's everyone in the Park got their fresh drinking water from the artesian well hand pump on the side of the pavilion.

Across the street from the LSP entrance road (Rte 11, now Scenic Dr.) there was a yellow farm house and property that was part of the Lake Shore Park land owned by the Jones Family. A tenant farmer named, Burt Wadleigh, operated the farm. I can remember getting earthworms from his pig pen for fishing bait. Burt was an old character, and I remember that my dad used to walk out and shoot the bull with Burt.

The dump (landfill) for Lake Shore Park was located a few hundred yards behind this farm house. They had a dump fire there in the late 1950's which started a small forest fire. To the right of the farmhouse heading west down present day Scenic Dr. there was an old barn with a tin roof. This barn was used as storage for furniture that campers moved out of their tent platforms for the Winter months. I can't recall if the barn is still there for I have not been up to the Lakes Region in about five years. I need another nostalgia trip to Lake Shore Park to get the memory lobes in my brain regenerated. It is funny how I can remember this stuff when I cannot remember what I had for dinner last night.

In speaking of the Lake Shore Inn and the Lake Shore Park entrance there used to be a big sign at the entrance to the park. By the style of the artwork depicting a bather diving into the lake on the sign, it must have been erected in the 1920's. The sign had incandescent lights attached to it, but I cannot ever recall seeing it lit at night. The bulbs were usually broken and the lights were in a state of electrical disrepair.

On the northeast corner of the LSP entrance road and then Rte 11 was located the Butternut Lodge and Cabins. This property was eventually bought by George Spanos and Wally Rugg when they purchased the Park. I think they bought the Park in 1959, but I could be corrected on this date.

I delivered ice and picked up trash in the Park for the Ruggs during their first year of ownership. I drove a beatup old 1947 International Pickup truck with the driver's door removed for easier access. In August of 1960 Gerna Magnuson let me start working in the LSP Store, so I was done with the ice and trash removal routine. Now I was able to serve Amand's delicious coffee rolls and other baked goods, drink lots of cold "tonic" from the old spin wheel soda bottle dispenser, and make a $1.00 per hour. Armand LePage was the baker there for many years. During the off season he was the baker at Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, NH.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #20
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Great info... from carguy

copied and pasted with permission from carguy...

Steve:

Our camp was located across the street from Frank Cook's camp on the shoreline side of the road. It was colored white with blue trim for many years. Yes, I know Frank passed away. We all knew him as "Buster" Cook. I hear that Jean Cook passed away before Frank.

Here is one for you. I work at Putnam Ford Mercury in Putnam, CT, www.putnamfordmercury.com, My owner’s name is Richard Place and his sister, Judy, is married to Randy Cook. Small world isn’t it.

Here is a photo of a boat that was in the forum:

I believe that this boat in later days was owned by Frank Cook. It’s name was Old Smoothie. It was a beautiful Lake Boat with a long forward deck. This has to be the boat, for there were not too many of this particular style boat on the Lake. Frank ended up selling the boat to Harrah’s Antique Car Museum in Reno, Nevada. I was able to see the boat on display at Harrah’s in September 1969 when I visited the Museum. There was a small sign on the boat which made reference to the previous owner being Frank Cook from Gilford, NH.

Frank was big into old boats. He had a Miss Winnipesaukee stored for years in his barn on Scenic Dr. I understand that his sons restored it a few years ago. This must be it here:

The only other Miss Winni that I am aware of in existence is one that Jackie Irwin owns. I have a lot to add to the forum about old classic boats. I was a member of the Antique and Classic Boat Society New England Chapter. Here is a photo of my last classic boat that I had on the Lake in the mid 1990’s. I kept it at Fay’s Boat Yard.

The above photo was taken at Wolfeboro in 1995. The boat was in the process of being restored. She was a 1952 42’ Chris-Craft Double Cabin Flying Bridge Cruiser named Grumpy Ol’ Men. I eventually sold the boat in 1999 and the new owner had it moved to Nashville, TN on the Cumberland River.

Lots of good stuff to come later.

Regards,

Bill Clarke
Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #21
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Picture from the previous post

here are the pictures
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #22
gravy boat

Default Lsp

Sounds like we LSP alumni have much in common!

My mother (who would be 75 this year) spent her childhood summers there and remembers pitching s tent way back when. Her grandparents went there and I believe they were the ones who started the journey north for many of us.

One of my brothers (10 years my senior) told me a story about how he and some of his summer buddies went up to the Pavillion to the old water pump and had a contest -- who could drink the most Dixie Cups of water. He downed 72 -- I believe he won. ;-)

LSP has many memories for me -- we left in the late 60s
/early 70s and I still miss it, even though we are now down the road a piece. (I'm told I said my first word while in a playpen on the beach.) We were a few cabins down from Ellacoya, right on the beach.

What great childhood summers!

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #23
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Memories

Gravy Boat:

I remember they had a dixie cup dispenser mounted on the wall of the pavilion front porch near the store entrance. It cost 1 cent for a dixie cup. That artesian well water from the pump was terrific tasting water, long before the days of Poland Springs bottled water.

Just this past week I sent two 6" 8mm movie reels off to get made into DVD's. One of the reels was labled Lake Shore Park 1948, and the other one was LSP 1952. I have not seen them in years. My father was the cinemaphotographer. When I get the DVD's back, I plan on editing them and getting together with SteveA for a showing, possibly at the Park.

Speaking of the pavilion front porch, that is where the phone booth was located. Back in the 1950's, that was the only phone that I can remember being in the Park besides the business phone in Doris Jone's office. Can you imagine getting along all Summer without a phone? especially these days when everyone in the family over 12 years old has a cell phone. Oh, yes those were the simple days.

In 1959 my parents bought the Hamel cabin which was located down near the waterfront in the area of the flagpole. It was one of the first cabins with a built-in toilet. Back in those days everyone "went over the hill" to the "john".

As I am writing this it is a beautiful clear cool Summer morning here in Connecticut. It reminds me of a late Summer Saturday morning at LSP. I can smell Armand LePage's coffee rolls right now. Those were the best tasting coffee rolls.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #24
mcall9031

Default Lake Shore Park Inn

Hi Steve

This is the only picture of the Lake Shore Park Inn I have ever seen.
Built around 1890. Burnt in 1910

Mike C. from Long Beach LSP
Attached Images

Last edited by mcall9031; 09-03-2006 at 01:15 PM.
mcall9031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Mike

Thank You.... I hadn't been able to find any pictures.... that is fantastic!

Steve
Old 08-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #26
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Inn

Mike:

Thanks for posting the picture of the Lake Shore Park Inn. My memory has been rejuvinated for I recall seeing this picture in the past. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I recollect as a kid seeing the remains of the foundation of that inn just to the left of the Lake Shore Park entrance.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #27
mcall9031

Default LSP Pavilion

Hi

Attached is a picture of the Pavilion pre 1900

Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by mcall9031; 08-24-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #28
mcall9031

Default Train Station LSP

Hi again

I think most people have seen this one. If not enjoy.

Mike C
Attached Images

Last edited by mcall9031; 08-24-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #29
carguy

Default Pavilion Pre-1900

Mike:

I had not seen the two photos of the Pavilion pre-1900. When was the Pavilion built? in the 1890's?. I sure would like to pin it down to a specific year. I spent a lot of time in that building when I was young. I worked in the store, had fun dancing and attending events, and stayed in the building using it as a haven from hurricines and big storms.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 PM   #30
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default LSP Pavillion

Acording to Adair Mulligan's book, "The Gunstock Parish: A History of Gilford, NH.
Mike is exactly correct. It burned down in 1910.

great pics...

Thanks SteveA
Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #31
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Pavillion is still there

Sorry to confuse...

Lake Park Inn burned.. Pavillion is still there and looks remarkably like the old photo's... most of the trees in the picture are gone.. but the building really looks pretty much the same

SteveA
Old 08-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #32
mcall9031

Default Gas Dock

Hi Carguy

I think the Pavilion was built in 1891

You must remember this one!!

It's long gone. Maybe Steve remembers when it closed up.
I've been here 27 years. It was gone about that time.

Mike C
Attached Images

Last edited by mcall9031; 08-20-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #33
carguy

Default LSP Marina Store and Gas Dock

That picture is circa 1961-1962. It was taken at the marina store and gas dock at Lake Shore Park when the marina was first in operation. My younger brother, Conrad Clarke, and Don Smith were the attendants that ran the store and pumps. It looks like Wally and Phyllis Rugg's pontoon boat behind the Lyman. They had the first pontoon party boat at the Park.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #34
mcall9031

Default Long Beach

Carguy

Here's one before your time. Long Beach LSP
By the look of the cars its from the 1930's.
No camps at that time. Only tenters.

Mike C
Attached Images

Last edited by mcall9031; 08-24-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #35
carguy

Default Long Beach Post Card

i remember when those old postcards of the Park were sold in the Lake Shore Park Store. They even had some panorama views. McDude would go nuts if he could get his hands on all the different cards they ofered. I must admit that I have seen many of them in this forum, mostly uploaded by McDude.

I should be receiving my DVD's this week that were made from the 8mm movies that my Dad took at the park from 1947 onward. I have the raising of the flagpolle at the Park on video. There is a brass placque on the flagpole which dates this event. Someone please check it out for me. I think the date is 1949 when they added the flag pole on the Long Beach side of the Hawes cabin.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #36
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Post Card and Brochure

LSP from Kimballs castle, I don't know what the buliding is in the foreground.

Barn Maybe?

Name:  lsp 03.jpg
Views: 13559
Size:  83.4 KB

These are front and back of an old brochure... 60's I think..

Name:  lsp 01.jpg
Views: 13156
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  lsp 02.jpg
Views: 13370
Size:  56.3 KB

SteveA
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #37
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park from Kimball's Castle

Steve:

The barn and buidling in the foreground are the old Chanticleer Inn. I don't remember the barn being there in my time, but my first job was as a dishwasher at the Inn in 1958.

The brochure is from the early 1960's. The Ruggs and Spanos' came up with the logo of the "L" with the long tail. I can't recall what year exactly the the Spanos/Ruggs team took over management of the Park. it was either 1959 or 1960. Gerna Magnuson would remember that for she managed the store at that time.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #38
mcdude

Great stuff you guys! Thanks for taking the time to scan and post. The old R.R. station card was originally posted by lakegirl (frequent contributor to photopost) but then it must have been deleted because I can't find it anywhere. I'm very surprised we haven't heard lakegirl chime in on this post as she "hangs out" somewhere near Lakeshore Park. Lakegirl?

.....and boy was the place hopping yesterday with the big Triathalon...looked like there were thousands of participants and onlookers. Quite the event.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #39
mcall9031

Hi

Another old post card from Long Beach. ( MY favorite spot a LSP )

Mike C
Attached Images

Last edited by mcall9031; 08-24-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #40
No-Mo-Shun

Exclamation LakeShore Park

That is a nice photo of Long Beach. I am a new member(today) and I have loads of old memories of LSP. I spent the first 21 Summers of my life at LSP (1934-1955). Our cabin was at the end of Long Beach near what is now Ellacoya SP. We were the 4th cabin from the fence. My parents first built a board floor, which I don't remember, and wooden walls with a canvas roof, which I do remember. Finally, my dad put a wooden roof on around 1940. I believe that all had to do with the Jones' keeping their property tax bill as low as possible. My sister won the "Miss Lake Shore Park"contest at the pavilion around 1948 and then 2nd place in the "Miss Winni" contest at Winnipesaukee Gardens. I've been living on the West Coast for 45 years, so I don't get back to NH to often. "No-Mo-Shun" was the name of my Class B stock utility racer which I kept on the beach in front of our cabin. I will be back to talk about baseball, boating and all sorts of fun times at the lake
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #41
carguy

Default New Member No-Mo-Shun

I was in the Park in 1955. Hmmm 4th cottage from Ellacoya (Minnehaha Beach)?? I had a friend that lived in that vicinity who had an older brother named Billy who liked to race hydroplanes with his Merc Super 10 Hurricane Motor. I just wonder if you might be Bill B.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360

Last edited by carguy; 08-21-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #42
Pepper

Default Welcome No-Mo-Shun!!!

I have a huge smile on my face after reading your post! Welcome, cousin! Nice to have you "virtual-visiting" our side of the country. Waldo and I are very much looking forward to reading the future posts you promise. (Now if we could just get that cousin in Texas to quit lurking and join up! )

Note to GravyBoat - thanks for helping me get that message to the other coast.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #43
No-Mo-Shun

Exclamation Hiya Pepper and Carguy

Boy oh boy, This sure is fun. I've been enjoying your posts over tha last couple of days that I've been checking. It was fun to see you last year, Pepper. Good lobstah rolls. Carguy, you jogged my memory; Minnehaha Beach!! I had forgotten. There were a few kids from there that would come up to the pavilion most nights. Eddie and Ernie, also Sonia. They usually had to walk around the fence in the water to get on LSP property. Uncle Bud also had a place there for a year or two. Yes, I am that same Bill(y) B. you referred to. Still messing around with boats. I wonder if people are aware that land is or was an island. The stream that separates Morrill's Beach and Minnehaha had a ditch that connected it to the marina at LSP. It wasn't a marina in 1948, just a swamp; full of frogs , insects and brown water. The ditch ran along the lake side of the old RR track bed. It was overgrown, but we did take a canoe through there. Had to have a machete I think. BTW Dick is still doing great and living in So. Calif. More later.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #44
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Flag Pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
There is a brass placque on the flagpole which dates this event. Someone please check it out for me. I think the date is 1949 when they added the flag pole on the Long Beach side of the Hawes cabin.
carguy,

The placque reads,

Dedicated to all the boys and girls of Lake Shore Park that served in World War II

Presented by "The Campers of LSP"
September 1949

Photo to follow when I find my misplaced camera

SteveA
Old 08-22-2006, 09:09 AM   #45
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Flag Pole pics

carguy,

Here you go...

Name:  flag pole 1.jpg
Views: 12582
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  flog pole 2.jpg
Views: 12793
Size:  67.7 KB

SteveA
Old 08-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #46
carguy

Default LSP Flagpole Rising

SteveA:

I have film video of the raising of the flagpole in 1949. I was six years old back then. This will be fun to watch. Hopefully my DVD's will be here before the weekend. They were shipped last week to me.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #47
carguy

Default Hi Dickie B

Hi Dick:

It has been a long time since we got together. Did you also work at the Chanticleer Inn back in 1959-1960?

We had a lot of good times back then with our "crowd' at the Park. I remember going down to your house in North Plainfield, NJ for New Years, 1960 or thereabouts.

Regards,

Bill Clarke

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #48
carguy

Default The "Island" at Lake Shore Park

No-Mo-Shun:

I never thought about Long Beach and the old "Ball Park" tent area being an island, but come to think of it, with the swam, ditch, and creek, it is an island. We use to catch pickerel in that ditch along the old railroad bed.

I hung around your brother, Dick. He was one of my best friends at the Park. He was a year older than me, and you were quite a few years older than me.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #49
No-Mo-Shun

Default Welcome Dickie Boy

I was wondering if you were here. For a number of years, I could never find anything about LSP, so I forgot about looking. CarGuy, The ball field, ringed by tents must have been there until about 1950. ( I might be wrong about the year. Please correct me if that is the case). After that they moved the field across the RR bed so that it was between Rt. 11 and the tracks. We had a softball game every morning at 10 AM unless it rained. On weekends, it was the married men against the single men. There were always plenty of players available to choose up sides and often the little guys didn't get chosen. The married men had some tough players. "Tiny" Nottage could really slug the ball. The field was directly behind ( about 100 ft.) the second row of cabins at Long Beach. Inevitably, someone would hit a ball into a campers breakfast cereal. When the game was over, it was time to head for the lake and cool off
Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #50
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default LSP Ball Park

The ball park has moved... my unit is now in dead center field... (In the 70's I used to be able to hit it into the marina... bet I couldn't now!)

The new ball park is on the other side of the marina.....

SteveA
Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #51
Dickie B from HB

Default Hi Car guy

Hi Bill,
I never worked at Chanticlar. As soon as I got my drivers license, I got a job at the Park, working for Wally Rugg. Jackie Lavin had the job before me. I would pick up the garbage early in the morning throughout the whole park. Then I would take another truck to Lakeport to pick up 600 lbs. of ice, and deliver that to the campers in the afternoon. That's a whole other story about the ice house in Lakeport. There were two trucks: a 46 & a 47 International pick ups. They were pretty beat, but they ran. That was about 1959 or 60.

I think that I heard that Spanos paid the Joneses $125,000 for the park around 1959. It was after that that all the development of the marina and the area beyond the old railroad tracks took place. Remember the laundramat that was built near the park entrance? Well, they gave me the job of opening it at 8:00 AM and cleaning all the machines. All this for $8.00 a day, seven days a week. But it was good. I loved working at the park. I did it for about four summers.

The last time I saw you was at the reunion in 2000. time flys.

Best regards,
Dick B.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:51 PM   #52
carguy

Default Ice and Garbage

Dick:

I think I did the Ice and Garbage after you did it, or you did it after I was the guy. I went into the store after the garbage/iceman bit. I rember that old '47 International pickup with the driver's door removed, and NO seatbelts back then.

I thought you might have been at the reunion in 2000. That was a good time, but we had rain and the reunion was too short.

I will be going up to the Park this weekend for the first time since then.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #53
carguy

Default LSP Garbage and Laundromat Work.

Dick:

I am sure now that I did the iceman/garbage routine after you. In 1959 I was working at Chanticleer Inn during the Summer. Billy DeGroot and I shared a cabin at Chanticleer Inn. We both worked in the kitchen. Pete Shull worked there also. Now Pete is no longer with us. He died in a fire not too long after the 2000 Reunion.

You mention that the Jones's sold the park to the Spanos Group for $125,00. What do you thing that property would go for today?? Speaking of the Jones', my dad really liked Frand and Doris. Frank would sneak away from Doris and come down to our camp and have a few "pops" with my dad. I can remember visiting them at their home in Rochester, NH in the off-season. They were real nice people, the salt of the earth.

I can remember when Doris Jones won the Lyman with the 30 HP Evinrude in a charity drawing in the Lakes Region. The boat was named the "Doris V." or something like that. Doris's middle name was Victoria. They kept it in a boat lift down near the flagpole. I think I only ever saw the Jones' use that nice Lyman about one time.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-22-2006, 11:21 PM   #54
carguy

Default Ice and Garbage Truck Drivers at Lake Shore Park.

Dick:

I forgot to mention in the previous post the names of a couple of our predecessors as the ice and garbage men at LSP. Jimmy Mitchell is the first one that I can remember. He drove an old beat-up ford Model A, or was it a Chevy pickup? Jimmy ended up marrying the boss's daughter, Barbara Jones. After Jiimy Mitchell came Slim Byrd who was a college student from Ware, MA. You might have come along not too long after Slim.

At one time the Park harvested their own ice. Remember the ice house, the old barn, located down from the Pavilion towards Long Beach. The ice was packed in straw and it was dark inside the barn. It was always wet around that barn from the melting ice. The use to keep Barbara Jones's yellow Old Town canoe on a stand outside of the ice barn. They must have stopped ice harvesting at the Park in the early 1950's.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #55
No-Mo-Shun

Default Ice and Water Skiing

I remember the Model A ice truck all through the 40's and early 50's. At least I believe it was a Model A. The Summer of 1946 was the first time I had seen water skiing. Our next door neighbor on Long Beach was Jed Cleversey from Kittery, Me. During previous Summers, Jed and his friends, the Landrys towed an aquaplane behind his boat which was a 16 ft. inboard that he built. In the Summer of 46 they all began water skiing; even little June Landry, who was only 6 years old. After watching all this great fun for about 3 weeks, I got up the nerve to ask Jed for a tow around. He agreed. I was sure I could do it. After all, I was 12 years old. The good news is that I never fell down until the 3rd ride that Summer. That's when I decided to cross the wake. He really got me hooked. One of Jed's friends came to the lake with a big Lyman and a 50 HP four cyl. WW2 landing craft motor. That was a good ski boat. I could talk boats all night, but I'm leaving early tomorrow on a one week motorcycle trip with the gang to Yellowstone Park.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
Old 08-23-2006, 01:55 AM   #56
Dickie B from HB

Default The Jones's

Hi Bill,
I remember the Jones's as being excellent stewards of LSP. They maintained it with great care, and were particular about the development. Other than the camps that the individual families built, I don't think that the place changed much during the whole time that they owned it.

regards,
Dick B.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #57
mcall9031

Default Hi Dickie B

Hi

Attached photo is a view of Long Beach as of today.
These are the last nine camps looking to Ellacoya.
Mine is on the far left. It is the 9th from Ellacoya today.
It was the 10th. The fifth was removed several years ago.

Mike C

( SteveA: congratulations on your hole in one !!!! )
Attached Images

Last edited by mcall9031; 08-24-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #58
carguy

Default Long Beach and the Mount

This beach along with Ellacoya Beach is the nicest stretch of beach on the Lake. It always has been. The Mount use to announce when it passed the Park, "On your left is Lake Shore Park, home of one of the finest beaches on the Lake". You coud hear this over their PA system and the rumble of those twin diesels. You could always tell the Mount was coming before seeing her due to the diesel noise.

You used to be able to set your clocks when the mount went by the Park. It used the same route for many years with a few variances. It passed the Big Pier at 12:45 PM and 5:45 PM. Mothers instructed their children to come home for lunch, and then for supper when the Mount passed the Park.

On the route variances for the two daily trips the Mount took daily, I know of two of them on the southern side of the Lake. The Mount on occasion would take the Sleeper's Island Channel between Sleeper's and the mainland instead of going around Sleeper's Island between Rattlesnake Island and Sleeper's.

The Mount on other occasions would also pass through the channel at Glendale, between Belknap Point and Locke's Island, then pass the "Witches" and Governor's Island, entering Weirs Bay between Eagle Island and Governor's Island.

In those days the Mount after leaving the Weirs would only stop at Centre Harbor, Wolfeboro, Alton Bay, then back to the Weirs. The Mount didn't start going to Meredith until sometime in the early 1990's, and then only a couple of times a week.They didn't have all the nightime cruises that they have now. Once in a great while you would see the mount come by the Park at night on a "Moonlight Cruise" all lit up. It was a magnificent site on a dark night on the "Broads".

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #59
Dickie B from HB

Default The ninth cabin

Hi Mike,
From the looks of it, your cabin is on the site of my grand parents cabin. In an earlier post I mentioned that my grand parents, Fred and Florence Croes tented there in the twenties, and gradually built their cabin over the years as the Jones family would allow. First a board floor, then wood sides about six feet high, and finally a wood and shingled roof. The cabin was painted yellow, and was named "The Seven Birches", because of a clump of seven birch trees that was directly in front, which the front porch was built around. The cabin was sold sometime in the sixties after they had passed away.

It's great to know who has the site now. Thanks for the picture.

Best Regards,
Dick B.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #60
gravy boat

Default Lake Shore Park

Hi Uncle Dick!

Good to see you here on the Forum! Did you by any chance have any photos from the early days at LSP? I know that Mom did and Dad has them tucked away. I'll get over there soon and see what I can find. I remember many of them with Uncle Bud, Grandma and Grandpa Croes and many family members.

Susie
Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #61
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Entrance Sign

I received my DVD today from Home Movie Depot. The DVD contains two 6" reels of 8mm movies that my Dad, Larry Clarke, took back at LSP from 1947-1952. I was able to use my digital camera and take a picture of the old LSP entrance sign that must have sat out in front of the Park for many years. It looks like it is from the 1920's. The sign was still out there in the early 1950's in a state of disrepair. I do not remember the last year it was standing. The sign was a two part "V' style configuration facing east and west on the old Rte. 11. It had lights, but If I recall correctly, the loads were always out, possibly broken by vandalism.
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360

Last edited by carguy; 08-24-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #62
Dickie B from HB

Default LSP sign

Hi Bill,
The sign was removed when Spanos bought the place in about 1959. That is when Wally Rugg and all adopted the pink and green colors for the park with the long tailed "L" on the word Lake. He had a pink and green Jeep too.

regards,
Dick B.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #63
Pepper

GravyBoat - photos, you say? Grandma's got lots of 'em! At the moment she is entertaining your cousins from Florida, but when they depart on Friday I'll ask her to spend some time digging through the photos and come up with some that I can scan and post. She's having a ball hearing all the stuff that's being posted here, and I just know she'll have a good time contributing!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #64
SteveA
Deceased Member

Smile Carguy at LSP

Just wanted to post a public THANK YOU to carguy...

He was in LSP with his old 8mm films. converted to a DVD... we had a good crowd at the pavillion this morning when he showed the films.. (60-70 people)

(Round of applause for carguy)

The folks at LSP are already talking about setting up a "History" group.. to record and save the History of LSP.

Thanks to Pepper, Upthesaukee, graveyboat, mcdude, mcall, for the help... you folks are wonderful...!!!

SteveA

PS... I think we got a few more members of the forum from this....

PS... mcdude... the old converted 8mm also contains some Alton Bay pavillion footage from 1948-9 and some Wolfeboro, Meridith Bay stuff.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #65
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park DVD Presentation

SteveA:

Thank you for the kind words and the nice job you did setting up the pavilion for the talk.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #66
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA

PS... mcdude... the old converted 8mm also contains some Alton Bay pavillion footage from 1948-9 and some Wolfeboro, Meridith Bay stuff.
When will the next showing be? I'd spend lots of raffle money if a copy were to be made available for the Forum Fest III Raffle! McD
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #67
No-Mo-Shun

Cool LSP Boating Adventures

When I was a little kid at LSP in the 40's, I was fishing in a rowboat with my uncle. It was either Allen Matthews or Kenny Foster; I can't remember which, but we were fishing off of Morrills's Beach about a 1/4 mile out. I had a line out on a bobber and along comes Chet Fox in his 12 foot runabout and he snagged my pole and dragged it over the side and it went to the bottom. Chet was very sorry and after a little preparation, he dove to the bottom and retrieved the pole for me. Chet and his sister, Marilyn lived on old Rt.11 and they would often come to the pavilion in the evening. I remember another instance that occured in the same area. Once again we were fishing and my uncle pushed down on my shoulders to force me to the bottom of the boat. Just then, a power boat goes by on one side of us while the skiier passes by on the other side with the tow rope passing over our heads. We got an apology later on for that one when they realised how dumb that was.

Billy B.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
Old 08-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #68
carguy

Default Fishing in the 1940's off of Lake Shore Park

Billy B.,

Chet Fox passed away a number of years ago. His widow, Dottie, used to be the secretary of the local New England Antique and Classic Boat Society. The family has a beautifully restored Gar Wood Triple Cockpit speedboat.

Back in the late 1940's and early 1050's, the Fox family had a black garwood with a hardtop, I think Gar Wood called it the Limousine model. The boat had a red painted bottom and it was a beautiful looking boat with the black hull and red bottom. That boat or possibly their current boat was named the "Marilyn" after Marilyn Fox.

Their boats were kept in the white boathouse along the shore just west of Ellacoya State Park. I remember peeking into that boathouse many years ago and the boat that I believe is their current mahogany Gar Wood was sitting in a state of disrepair having been vandalized. I saw the boat at the last Classic Boat Show that I attended at the Weirs in 1998, and it was beautifully restored. The annual boat show is now held in Meredith, usually the last weekend of July.

I was up at Lake Shore Park this past weekend, and I gave a talk to an audience of about 50-60 people when I showed the DVD that I had made up of 8mm movies that my dad took at the Park from 1947-1952.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #69
No-Mo-Shun

Default Fox's Gar Wood

Car Guy, I remember the hardtop Gar Wood. We always wanted to try to get a good look at her from up close, but it was tough to do. Do you remember a boat which was kept in a boat house down in Alton Bay? The name was "75 Special". Supposedly, the name indicated that she could do 75 MPH, but when I would see her cruising by LSP about once per Summer, the speed was usually about 30 MPH. I think it was a Gar, but could have been a HackerCraft. It was a big boat; over 30 ft. I believe. Must have drunk up the gasolene. There are loads of boats from the park to talk about. Be back later. Bill B.

Kenneth Grahame
Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #70
Captain Bob

Default Lake Shore Park ABC's: Artists, Blueberries, Camps

Hi folks,

I've been following this string, and I find it very informative!

Here's some things that may be more "Nostalgia" then "History" of Lake Shore Park, but they are some topics I haven't seen anyone mention yet, like...

Artists: I've just started a "collection" of original paintings by folks that have something to do with Lake Shore park. There was "Spike Larson", and I ended up with a watercolor last year. Now I want to add Bobby Steedman (Robert Steedman, now a watercolorist out of I think Gloucester), who I remember as a kid. Then there's Ralph William Williams, the "Breck Girl" painter - a relative of Carol's - who painted some gals at Lake Shore Park including my brother's former girl friend Cheryl Bates - but I doubt if I'll ever get one of his, as the Breck collection is in the Smithsonian! Anyone remember any other artists or painters, and where I can get my hands on some pictures?

Blueberries: Does anyone else remember that the blueberries used to seem more plentiful (say 50's and 60's) - and did anyone ever bring their berries to Armand the baker to have a pie made from your very own berries? I also remember my dad ready to drive away from the park with the family, but I had to be dragged out of the woods where I was getting another cup full...

Camps: I love remembering the old camp names. Durgins used to the "The Fivuvus". Puringtons were "Five P's In a Pod". Chase's were, and still are, "Chase Lounge". Remember "Tea for Two?" Others?

Looking forward to other people's memories!
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #71
carguy

Default Legionaire "70"

No-Mo-Shun:

I remember the big Gar Wod from Alton Bay. It was one of the Legionaire Speedboats named the "70 Special". It was supposed to be capable of 70 MPH. Another fast boat from those times was the "Wildcat".
Check out the attached pamphlet.
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #72
carguy

Default Armand's Blueberry Pies

Captain Bob:

I remember collecting blueberries on the back side of MT. ROWE at the then Belknap Recreation Area, now referred to as Gunstock. There was a humongous wild blueberry patch on the back side of the mountain from the chairlift. We gave them to Armand LePage to make Blueberry Pies at Lake Shore Park.There were also some good blueberry picking at the point between Baby Beach and Camp Samoset.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #73
carguy

Default Legioaire "70"

No-Mo-Shun:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...what=allfields

How about this photo.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-31-2006, 12:28 AM   #74
Dickie B from HB

Default Mt. Rowe and Blueberries

Hi Car Guy and And Captn Bob-
I remember as a kid in the forties and fifties taking the chair lift to the top of Mt. Rowe ($.25 a ride) to pick blueberries with my mother. She picked and I ate. But she was good and got a pail full. That's a lot of picking. She would bake pies, which to this day were the best I've ever had.

But, my fondest memory is the sunny mornings sitting on the bench seats that surrounded the oilcloth covered table, just inside the front of our camp on Long Beach, with the two large front windows pulled open, to reveal an uncluttered view of the lake and the Osipees (sp?) on the far side while my mother served us incredible blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

Best regards,
Dick B.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:57 AM   #75
No-Mo-Shun

Default Legionaire 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
No-Mo-Shun:

I remember the big Gar Wod from Alton Bay. It was one of the Legionaire Speedboats named the "70 Special". It was supposed to be capable of 70 MPH. Another fast boat from those times was the "Wildcat".
Check out the attached pamphlet.
CarGuy, The Legionaire must be the same boat I was thinking about. Only 70 MPH!!! That is really cooking. Thanks for the photo
Bill B.

Kenneth Grahame
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 AM   #76
No-Mo-Shun

Default Cabin Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob
Hi folks,

I've been following this string, and I find it very informative!

Here's some things that may be more "Nostalgia" than "History" of Lake Shore Park, but they are some topics I haven't seen anyone mention yet, like...

Artists: I've just started a "collection" of original paintings by folks that have something to do with Lake Shore park. There was "Spike Larson", and I ended up with a watercolor last year. Now I want to add Bobby Steedman (Robert Steedman, now a watercolorist out of I think Gloucester), who I remember as a kid. Then there's Ralph William Williams, the "Breck Girl" painter - a relative of Carol's - who painted some gals at Lake Shore Park including my brother's former girl friend Cheryl Bates - but I doubt if I'll ever get one of his, as the Breck collection is in the Smithsonian! Anyone remember any other artists or painters, and where I can get my hands on some pictures?

Blueberries: Does anyone else remember that the blueberries used to seem more plentiful (say 50's and 60's) - and did anyone ever bring their berries to Armand the baker to have a pie made from your very own berries? I also remember my dad ready to drive away from the park with the family, but I had to be dragged out of the woods where I was getting another cup full...

Camps: I love remembering the old camp names. Durgins used to the "The Fivuvus". Puringtons were "Five P's In a Pod". Chase's were, and still are, "Chase Lounge". Remember "Tea for Two?" Others?

Looking forward to other people's memories!
Captain Bob, Our camp name was "Boerner's Korner". It was the 4th cabin from the fence at Minnehaha Beach.

Kenneth Grahame
Old 08-31-2006, 02:04 AM   #77
Dickie B from HB

Default Hello Car Guy-

Hi Bill,
Do you remember the fellow that cruised at LSP in that steam powered launch called the "Rum Runner"? That was a great boat. As I recall, it was a double ended hull, like a canoe, only larger. He would stand in the stern with a tiller, as the engine chugged along, going just a few knots per hour.

As kids, we wanted fast boats, but now that I'm older, I think that he had a good thing going.

regards,
Dick B.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #78
carguy

Default Steamboat at Lake Shore Park

Dickie B.,

I remember a gray colored steam launch that use to come over from Wolfeboro area and dock at the Big Pier. In my DVD on Lake Shore Park, that launch is in the film taken in 1949 at the Park during a boat parade on Long Beach.

Every year on the weekend after Labor Day, there is a big steamboat meet held at Lee's Mills on Moultonboro Bay. There are photos of the meet in the Gallery Section of this forum.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 08-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #79
Captain Bob

Default Blueberries

Car Guy & Dickie B,

I just gotta make some blueberry waffles for the grandkids this weekend, since we'll be up at camp! Good memories.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #80
No-Mo-Shun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie B from HB
Hi Car Guy and And Captn Bob-
I remember as a kid in the forties and fifties taking the chair lift to the top of Mt. Rowe ($.25 a ride) to pick blueberries with my mother. She picked and I ate. But she was good and got a pail full. That's a lot of picking. She would bake pies, which to this day were the best I've ever had.

But, my fondest memory is the sunny mornings sitting on the bench seats that surrounded the oilcloth covered table, just inside the front of our camp on Long Beach, with the two large front windows pulled open, to reveal an uncluttered view of the lake and the Osipees (sp?) on the far side while my mother served us incredible blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

Best regards,
Dick B.
Dick, Those pancakes sure were good. When breakfast was over, it was off to the ball field for me and play softball til noon. Another great thing about that cabin was going to sleep at night and hearing the waves lap up on the beach. In my later teen years, I would finish breakfast and hop in the boat, headed for "Aquavue" and work. My Summer job was helping Uncle Allen build cabins. He taught me a lot about carpentry. If we got too hot, we would jump in the lake and toss rocks to make a nice sandy bottom. That job took a couple of years. We would build one cabin a Summer. Foster's was the first and Ellie's was last. Any bent nails found in the cabins could probab ly be blamed on me.
Bilbo

Kenneth Grahame
Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #81
Dickie B from HB

Default The Army Duck

Hi All-
I have a nostalgia question. Does anyone remember the Army Duck that used to come to the Park in the late forties? It would come across the lake, and drive onto the beach at short beach or long beach. It would take campers for a ride for $.50. I can remember getting on it at the old ball field. It took us up towards Samoset and back for a half hour ride. A great thrill for a little kid.

Dick B.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #82
carguy

Default Army Duck at LSP

Dickie:

In my DVD on LSP there coverage on the Army DUKW (Duck) at LSP. I look to be about six years old, so that makes it about 1949. The DVD shows the passsengers boarding the Duck at the Pavilion, then the scene shifts to the Duck entering the Lake at Long Beach followed by the Duck exiting the Lake and returning to the Pavilion. The DVD I refer to is the one that I had made up of my dad's 8mm movies taken at the Park from 1947-1952. Other highlights are a boat parade and the raising of the flagpole along the waterfront at Lake Shore Parkin September 1949.

Here is a picture of the Duck exiting the water at Lake Shore Park on Long Beach. This photo was taken with my digital camera of my DVD video playing on my laptop computer's 14" widescreen. The quality could be better.
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360

Last edited by carguy; 09-01-2006 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 09-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #83
carguy

Default Boats at Lake Shore Park

Dickie B and N0-Mo-Shun:

Here is a photo taken from my DVD on Lake Shore Park and copied with my digital camera off my computer. The boat is a nice late 1920's Chris-Craft Triple Cockpit. The driver/owner of the boat is a man named Ray Hawkes who was married to Elsie Hermanson. This boat has to be a painted over Mahogany boat. I don't think Chris Craft made any white hulled boats in those years. After WWII, Chris Craft made some white painted cedar hulled utilities due to the shortage of mahogany.
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #84
seadoochick

Default Hi Dickie B, No-MShun, Pepper, Gravy & All

I am new at this. But could not resist getting my two cents in. I too spent many summers at LSP. From the time I was born until we moved down the road to Aqua Vue.

So hi to all cousins on this site!!

Many memories even after we left as my parents would go to LSP every night to play poker with aunts, uncles and grandparents,while my sister and I would go to the pavillion to dance and hang out with our friends.

We lived in the first cabin in the second row on long beach.Next to Ellocoya.
My Dad built that one.

One day we had a snapping turtle in our foot bath by the front door. Was that cousin Bill?

I have a picture some where of Ellie B pushing me in the water in a big wash tub. LSP is where I learned to swim and spent many nights staying with Grandma in the Birches cabin on Long Beach.

My Mom and AUnt once spent hours making a dress for me out of bread wrappers to wear in the costume contest they had every year. I think I won a prize.

Ah, what fun to remember!

Hope all is well on the left coast.

Judy
seadoochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:46 AM   #85
Dickie B from HB

Default Hi Seadoochick-

Welcome to this posting fest. This is becoming a real family reunion.

Bill and I were talking last week about the boat your Dad had when you and your family lived at LSP. In the 40's it was one of the few boats that was pulled up on the beach at Long Beach. I think it was the first boat that belonged to anyone in our extended family. That little light row boat, the Feather, was the first boat that allowed any of us kids to get out onto the water.

Speaking of snapping turltes, do you remember that giant snapping turtle (about 12 to 15 inches in diameter) that the men pulled out of the lake in about 48 or 49? I have a picture of it on the beach with a crowd of people standing around. It created quite a stir. After everyone was done taking pictures they put it in the swamp (now the marina).

Best Regards,
Dick B.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #86
seadoochick

Wink Snapping Turtle,

Hi Dickie B.

I don't remember the snapping turtle, except the one in the foot bath.

I do remember the moose that swam up on the shore and died one year.

He swam to Ellacoya Beach.

Yes, the feather was the only boat on long beach for awhile. Mr. Bailey had the big yacht anchored off shore however.
I think the feather is now at the bottom of the lake to make a home for fish.

Sure is fun to read all the remeberances from everyone. It was a great place for kids to spend the summer. Weren't we lucky!!!!

kudo's to Steve A and all for providing all the post cards and pictures to preserve the wonderful history of LSP.

Judy
seadoochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #87
gravy boat

Default Welcome Seadoochick!

Hello, Cousin! Welcome and enjoy!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #88
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat
Hello, Cousin! Welcome and enjoy!
I just figured out who Seadoochick is! WELCOME cousin! Now will you please speak to your neice in Texas and tell her if she doesn't get registered and start posting soon, GravyBoat and I are gonna do something desperate!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #89
Porch Sitter

Ok…Pepper I’m in!
Add another family member to the forum/reunion!
Hi ya’ll---Seadoochick, Pepper, Gravy, Dickie B, No-Mo-Shun, your Texas connection chiming in!

My LSP memories are limited but I do remember entering a summer costume contest as the “5 Little Indians” and pumping water from the well by the pavilion. However, with all this talk of LSP, I had to confiscate some old photos from my parents, just thought I would share this one, I am guessing 1940’s? Does anyone know who it is? Pepper check with your MIL!

Enjoy!!
Debbie
Attached Images

Porch Sitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #90
Pepper

Default Well waddaya know!!!

It's about time PorchSitter!!!!! You've been lurking for far too long, living at the lake vicariously through all of us here year-round! Very nice to FINALLY have you posting.

Now, with regard to the above photo, I'm going to take a shot in the dark (because my MIL is asleep right now) and guess that the adorable cherub in the photo above is SeadooChick. Am I close?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #91
John A. Birdsall

Default Lake Shore Park

While I don't recall ever staying there, we did visit it quite often as we had neighbors from Reading Mass that used to have a place there and if my memory is right it was late 50's or early 60. Their names were Basners, Lets see fathers name was Fred, Mother was Arlene, and then three boys Fred, John, and Charlie, charlie was the youngest and of the three boys he is the only one alive today. I think Arlene is in a nursing home, and Fred had died.
John Died last year I think.

My impression of LSP was a small city, but a lot of friendly people.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #92
Dickie B from HB

Default Hi Porch Sitter

Hello Debbie,

That picture was probably taken in the early 40's. If I'm not mistaken it was taken in front of Charly Dick's place which was to the left of the Birches. Bill might know for sure.

If so, then that must be Joe Reagen's dock in the background. If someone has a picture of his old lake boat, I would like to see that again.

For any current residents of LSP, do they still hold the costume contest at the Pavilion? That was always a big deal, with two or three hundred kids dressed in homemade costumes of which many were extremely clever.

Best Regards,
Dick B.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #93
Porch Sitter

Hi Dickie B,

I think they do still hold that contest - I beleive that Seadoochick and my mother even judged it last year!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #94
No-Mo-Shun

Default Welcome, SEADOOCHICK and PORCHSITTER

Just got back from a trip, so some catching up to do. I don't remember the turtle in the foot bath, but I do like it, so maybe I'm guilty. The photo does look like it is in front of Charlie Dick's place. I wonder if we can come up with the names of all of the cabin owners on Long Beach, starting at Minnehaha Beach. No's 1 & 2 are blank for me, no. 3 was Jane Banks and later Bud Croes. No. 4 was Boerner's, no. 5 --Jed Cleversey, no.6--Blumstedt's, no. 7---Mather's, no.8--Bailey's, no. 9--- Austin's, no. 10--Fred and Florence Croes, no.11-- Charlie Dick, no. 12--Scott's and later Smitty. Second row was Matthews at the fence, Doc and Mickey Smith and Nelson's with Joe Reagan alongside the swamp(marina). What did I miss? There must be plenty.

Kenneth Grahame
Old 09-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #95
gravy boat

Default LSP --the early years -- more photos found

HI All,

I just found one of my Mom's scrapbooks, including Winni Pageant info/photos from 1948 and 1949 (Mom was the runner up in 1948 and 2nd runner up in 1949), and found some nice photos of LSP. There were only tents, so I'm guessing the photos are prior to 1935. I hve a photo of Mom, No-mo-shun and Henry Banks on the LSP beach, summer 1935. One of Gramma Gladys, washing some clothes in the lake; a few of the tent and camping setup.

Hope to find a scanner so I can share some photos!

Gravy
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #96
Pepper

Gravy - I've got a scanner at work. Come by any time, the laptop's always there with me, and we can scan, save, burn to cd, whatever! While we're at it, I'll print some out for Grandma Adele! It'll make her day!

BTW - PorchSitter isn't answering me ... who's the cherub in the photo above?????
Old 09-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #97
Porch Sitter

Hi Pepper!

I don't know who it is ? maybe seadoochick does??
I thought about putting together a DVD/slideshow on Aqua Vue and its beginings after digging through all the old pics, but I am not sure who some of the people are and this was one of them! Thought that would be easier than a scrapbook!
I'll share when done (could be months)
Old 09-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #98
Pepper

Oh! Now I get it - so, I'll ask Grandma Adele to check it out next time she's here (where there's internet access) and as soon as I have an answer I'll let you know!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #99
mcdude

Wink

A few more postcards....

A Library of Congress Photo - early 1900s. View from Kimball's Castle of Rattlesnake Island and Lakeshore Park.

"Hope to have fresh caught salmon that Lee caught for supper tonight. Trailer living isn't too bad.?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #100
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Postcards

Thanks McDude, for posting the postacards. Some clarification on what we are looking at in these photos: The top post card is of Long Beach at Lake Shore Park (LSP). The second one down is a black and wife photo of the Chanticleer Inn next to Belknap Point. In the right hand side background of the photo is Lake Shore Park (Carr's Point) followed by Diamond Island then Rattlesnake Island. The third colored postcard down is of short beach at LSP with the "Big Pier" in the background. This postcard looks to be from the 1920's. The last colored postcard labled Lake Shore Park on Lake Winnipesaukee, N.H. is a mistake. The shore line pictures are not of Lake Shore Park.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360