Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
andymirdik

Default Bald Peak Caddy Camp 1957-59

I am new at this Forum, so if I'm in the wrong place, please advise.
I am looking for anyone who was at, has heard of, or remembers the caddy camp that was on the property of the Bald Peak Colony Club back in the mid 50s. I have many wonderful memories while there.
The caddy camp was run/sponsered by the Boys' Club of Boston, and one had to attend a pretty comprehensive caddy school in order to go the camp.
If anyone is out there and would like to share OLD memories, I'd love to hear from you.

Andy Mirdik
Colorado
andymirdik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymirdik For This Useful Post:
fourstardave (11-06-2015), trish66 (01-08-2013)
Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
IslandSib

Default I remember

Hi there,
Although I did not go to Caddy camp, one of my brothers did in the early sixties..I will have to check what year it was with him.
I remember we would be staying on Lake Wentworth and would see the army truck loaded with the boys going church down in Wolfeboro..we also would bring my brother back to camp with us for the day...
It must have been an amazing experience for a lot of kids..whose otherwise may not have ever have been to lake.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
samosetguy

Default My father

My father was at the camp for several summers. I will email him your post.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

The story of the creation of the Bald Peak Colony Club and its first 40 years is told in Elizabeth Crawford Wilkin's 1964 history entitled "The Castle and the Club."

Quote:
Also in 1928, an arrangement was made with Boy Scouts of America to establish a camp of 50 boys at the Club from which the Club could draw the necessary caddies. This was the founding of the Caddie Camp at Bald Peak.
to read more of CRAWFORD WILKIN'S account

RELATED THREAD WITH PHOTOS

The Bald Peak Colony Clubhouse

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
andymirdik

Default bald peak caddy camp

been a while since I logged on. Still don't see any responses from anyone who may have caddied during the 50's-60's...surely I can't be the only one left standing???
andymirdik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Merrymeeting

Hi Andy,

Don't know how I missed this one before. While it was a bit after you, I was at the camp from 1969-1971, and then worked in the pro shop from 72-73.

Some of the best summers of my life. I understand why (money, as always) but it is such a shame that caddying has died out as a job option for teens. I learned so many life lessons while caddying. It may seem strange to say now, but it is still one of my proudest achievements to win the best caddy award the last summer I was at the camp. It has to do with what I learned about life, myself, and what it takes to be successful in doing so, at a very impressionable stage of life.

The golf pro at the time, Mike Chiapetta, hired me after this to work in the pro shop. Late teens, living on my own for the summer with many other late teens/early twenty-somethings... As I said, some of the best summers of my life, but not suitable for posting on a public forum
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
fourstardave (02-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
NHDreaming

Default Bald Peak Caddy Camp

Greetings. I am a new member of the forum and this is my first post. I recently saw the entry by Merrymeeting about his experience at Bald Peak Caddy Camp. I too was inceredibly lucky to have the same experience at the camp. I attended BPCC for 3 years, 1968 - 1970. They were among the best summers of my life. I was 13, 14 1nd 15 when I attended. It was an invaluable life experience. I was able to spend 10 weeks of each summer on Lake Winnipesaukee. The combination of working, paying your own way through and enjoying all the activities could not be beat. I too lament the loss of jobs such as caddying but the world has changed. Of couse I had a paper route to get back on when I went home at labor day, speaking of the world changing.
Congratulations to merrymeeting on winning the top caddy awrd in 1970. I was fortunate enough to win 3rd best in 69 and 2nd in 1970 but never garnered the top spot. Mike Chiapetta was the pro when I was there. Franny Quinn was the caddy master my first year and I believe Danny McMillan was the master the next 2 years. He was a caddy in camp my first year in 68.
Thank you for getting me on this forum. I have bviewed it for a while but never signed on. I was lucky enough to spend several more summers on the lake when I was a little older. I was at Northeastern University in Criminal Justice and I was able to get a job with the Meredith Police Department for alternating periods from January of 75 until 79. I still have some great friends in New Hampshire and my family and I just spent 5 days up near the lake in August.
NHDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHDreaming For This Useful Post:
DeputyDARE (10-17-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
fourstardave

Hi Andy and all. I was a caddy at Bald Peak 1968-1970 and then worked in the proshop '71-'74. I must have been there the same time as Merryman!
Was a great way to grow up, beautiful place to spend those summers. Hoping to visit next summer.
fourstardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
DeputyDARE

Hi Andy,
I don't know if I can provide you with any usefull information, but I spent four summers at the camp, 1950 thru 1954.

Last edited by DeputyDARE; 11-13-2011 at 08:08 PM.
DeputyDARE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeputyDARE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Merrymeeting

Hi Ray, thanks for the post. But I suggest you edit to remove your email. Posting it in a public forum allows spammers to grab it and you will soon be buried in spam (if not already)
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
DeputyDARE (11-13-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
NHDreaming

Default Bald Peak Camp

fourstardave it appears that we were at the camp the same 3 years 1968-1970. I am trying to put a last name to you but I cannot come up with it. I am John Kelliher.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Tom McNulty

Default Bald Peak Cady Camp - #27

Hello Andy, Cady #27 - 1955, 1956. 1957. I look back at those three summeres at Bald Peak and see a kid turning into a young man. I still have my cady book from our class at the Boys Club. Tom Lynch was the director. My grandmother, "MRS MACK" was the cook for several years up to 1955. I have a few seconds of video taken at the camp and from our third year trip. We arrived at the base of Mt Washington but were not allowed to climb. The top was covered with 4" of ice. As an old man I have spent may days and nights on Mt Washington with my grandchildren. We enjoy winter hikes into Tuckermans and evenings with the Cru at the Lakes the most. There are too many great memories at the camp to even begin talking about them. Cady Camp and the staff had a great positive impact on the lives of so many city boys.

Semper Fi, Tom McNulty #27
Tom McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
The story of the creation of the Bald Peak Colony Club and its first 40 years is told in Elizabeth Crawford Wilkin's 1964 history entitled "The Castle and the Club."

to read more of CRAWFORD WILKIN'S account

RELATED THREAD WITH PHOTOS

The Bald Peak Colony Clubhouse
I'm reading over this older thread and came across this thread by our great friend mcdude. When older subjects and locations are brought up we can always depend on mcdude posting some great things to contribute to the thread. Thanks mcdude for all the great info you pass along to us all.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
RLW

Smile

DeputyDARE, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Man I'm falling way behind welcoming people, sorry about that. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
trish66

Default The Golf Shop

My first summer after teaching I spent most of the time at Bald Peak working in the pro shop. Mike Chiapetta was the pro, and Bob Roche was his assistant. I also worked with Francis Quinn and Dick Mueller. There was a former caddy, probably fifteen or sixteen, that worked the driving range. Are any of these people familiar to anyone? I'd love to contact them.
My wife, Patty, then a girlfriend, worked in the dining room at the club. Though we were given rooms to stay in, the three of us spent our time in a camp at Lane's End. Franny didn't dare because he thought Mike would get upset, and actually he did. We started work at seven and partied 'til two or three am each morning.
I wish I could remember the gentleman and his family that ran the caddy camp. He was a great guy and I think, maybe a teacher. The husband and wife were wonderful people, and I ran into the husband a couple of years later.
Like to all of you, it was and is a wonderful period of my life.
I do remember that the caddy truck was in an accident, and I'm not sure but I think someone lost part of his arm. I think the truck rolled over. I think there may have been even worse happenings but don't trust my poor memory. I hope I'm wrong.
Thanks,
Bob Driscoll
trish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trish66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstardave View Post
Hi Andy and all. I was a caddy at Bald Peak 1968-1970 and then worked in the proshop '71-'74. I must have been there the same time as Merryman!
Was a great way to grow up, beautiful place to spend those summers. Hoping to visit next summer.
Hi Dave, if you are still reading the forum, send me a private message. Based on the dates, we worked together in the pro shop.

NHDreaming (John), my award was in 71, not 70. I do remember you! Again, a PM to catch up would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish66 View Post
There was a former caddy, probably fifteen or sixteen, that worked the driving range. Are any of these people familiar to anyone? I'd love to contact them.
It's possible that was me. But given the dates you've mentioned, probably my predecessor. My first year working on the pro shop staff was running the driving range. That would have been the summer of 72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish66 View Post
We started work at seven and partied 'til two or three am each morning.
Does that sound familiar! (Don't tell my kids). Fran Quinn was the caddy master my first year. After that, it was Danny McMillen, and he and I worked together in the pro shop once I started there. He had a brand new, blue, Chevy Chevelle coup that we took all over the region, usually to bars (the drinking age was 18 at the time). The car would be a classic if it is still around today, but I shudder to think of the times we drove back in the wee hours of the AM.

Quote:
I wish I could remember the gentleman and his family that ran the caddy camp. He was a great guy and I think, maybe a teacher. The husband and wife were wonderful people, and I ran into the husband a couple of years later.
Yes, he was a teacher, and I agree with all your other points too. Bob Daly, from Taunton.

Quote:
I do remember that the caddy truck was in an accident, and I'm not sure but I think someone lost part of his arm. I think the truck rolled over. [
I'm pretty sure this was my first summer there, so it would have been 69. I remember it vividly.

Each summer, one of the special trips we had on the rare, non-caddying day was a trip to Mt. Washington to ride the cog railway. A small group would be taken each week, in the old truck used to transport us at the time. It was probably an old army truck, like the ones you see in the movies. Canvas top, benches on either side of the bed, and wooden slat sides.

Apparently one of the boys had his arm hanging over the side when the truck took the corner into the railway parking lot too fast and rolled. He did lose his arm.

It was near the beginning of the summer, and needless to say he never returned, so I don't remember who it was.

For those who might be interested, I still have the Caddy Camp newsletter from 1971. It lists the names and addresses of all who were there that summer, directors, caddies, counselors, etc.. Send me a PM if you would like a copy.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #17
ApS

Red face Bald Peak Trivia...

(somewhat)...

My Dad—in Wolfeboro—tells me he was caddying at Bald Peak during The Great Depression and that Babe Ruth was an occasional golfer there.

For some of their guests, an aircraft-landing was standard procedure on one of Bald Peak's fairways.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
NHDreaming

It has been great to read some of these new posts! I will try and contribute some information with what I can remember. The truck accident happened on the way to a trip up to the Cog Railway on Mt Washington. The trip was in recognition of the lunar landing in 1969. It was a bad accident. I believe it was Steven Kelly who lost his arm. I was one of the caddies who opted not to go for some reason. I have put a link below to a newspaper artcle about the accident that I am guessing was from a paper in Norwalk, CT. The truck was an old army truck with planks across it for bench seats. It had a canvas top over a pipe frame. We thought nothing of climbing in it to go to town or wherever. You would not even begin to think of putting campers in something like that now. Different times. The camp picked up an extended red van right after accident for transportation. It did not hold anywhere near the #s of passengers but was much safer.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5756,1997168

It is welcoming to hear such names as Franny Quinn, Bob Roache and Danny McMillan. Franny was the caddy master my first year in 68. His brother Steve was a camp councillor that year. Fran loved sports and I think he would play softball and footbal with us on the 16th fairway. I think Fran wanted to become a preist and was attempting to get into the seminary. Bob Roach was the assitant pro and a guy who enjoyed himself. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Danny was a camper my first year and became the caddy master in 68. Bob Daly aka "Biff" was the camp director my second and third years. Hugh Bittinger aka "Mr B" was the director my first year.
My brother in-law golfed at Bald Peak this past fall. He was a guest of a member. They stayed at the club hotel and ate in the grill/reataurant. Dinner was followed by an evening of cocktails and cigars on the patio out back. He loved the course. I am hoping to squeeze myself in if he gets back up this year.
Hello to Fiourstardave and Merrymeeting!
The Following User Says Thank You to NHDreaming For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
fourstardave

Default Caddy Camp Days

Wow..this is great.. I remember all of this !! I had forgotten all about Mr. B til I was reminded of it here.
I remember Fran Quinn, and Danny MacMillan, Brian Coughlin(?) Mike Chiapetta, and I think all of you guys posting here.
The truck accident was terrible. It was in 1969 shortly after the moon landing. I remember that Dave Byrnes and I came running down the trail to the camp just in time to see it pull out. We were bummed that we missed the trip and spent most of the evening playing ping pong and whist.
When we got the news about Steve and the accident, it shook the camp up for awhile. There weren't a lot of us in camp that day. Most had gone on the trip to MT Washington.
The last ass't pro that I remember was Joe____. Forget his last name. He ended up being a head pro in Maine I think.
Anyway, hope all of you are well.
Dave Patterson
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
CHRISDALY

Default Bob Daly, Caddy Camp Director

I was just reading some of the stories from the Bald Peak Caddy Camp. My father Bob "Biff" Daly was the camp director from I believe 68'-72'. I was just a baby when my father took over and around 5 years old when he left. My memories aren't great but recall the cabins and the lake. The stories my mother and brother and sisters tell are wonderful. I just wish I was a little bit older to appreciate the camp more. My father passed away in 1995 but from what I read a number of people had very nice things to say about him. I very much appreciate it. Thanks!
CHRISDALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
fourstardave

Default Bald Peak Caddy Camo

Does anyone know what happened to the Bald Peak Caddy Camp? I seem to remember they were going to put condos there.
I was the last caddy master and remember those days as just great!
On my bucket list is to play the course one more time. I often wonder what happened to the caddies I grew up with but also some of the members that I regularly caddies for; Mr. Davis, MR. Vincent, Mr. Frame, Mr. Marriott.
Anyway, this forum has been great for bringing back some wonderful memories.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #22
Ronwhit

Gilford 6 mo resident (Savannah Nov-Apr) who caddied at Bald Peak the summer of 1958. Melrose resident who took the course at Boston Boys and Girls Club. Many good memories from the “bug juice”, going fishing at first light, to sounds of the loons, to barefoot flag football on the Bald Peak fairways. Former member at Manchester CC (26 YRS) and now a 6 yr member at Laconia CC. Stumbled onto the blog and just thought I’d chime in to few of us probably left.
Ronwhit is offline   Reply With Quote