Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 04:15 AM   #1
ApS

Lightbulb United Nations Drone-Registry Sought for Operating Standards...

Yesterday, news of global-registry in control of all drones was proposed.

Quote:
"The single registry would [reduce] multiple databases in favor of a one-stop-shop that would allow law enforcement to remotely identify and track unmanned aircraft, along with their operator and owner".
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1BJ2CL

Old 09-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #2
Skip

Thumbs up Drone registration

Interesting story, thanks for the link as I'll be passing it along to the drone group I belong to...

I'm sure any proposal by the UN will get close scrutiny and massive push back in the US. That said, I can understand the manufacturers concerns.

Also of note is some manufacturers, such as leader DJI (which built my Mavic Pro) already build a number or restrictions and geo fencing into the units software to minimize illegal and unsafe flying, along with recoverable track data available to law enforcement with a warrant.

I feel drones flown here over .55 lbs should be registered with the FAA, even though curently voluntary, and was the first thing I did with mine after getting it fully insured.

I also would suggest that when registration becomes mandatory again (only a matter of time) that, like regular aircraft, the registration numbers are available to the public in a searchable on line data base. This would make lost drone incidents easier to contact the owner, whether privately or through law enforcement. Additionally, it would make it easier for the appropriate agency to ensure the pilot is operating his craft legally and ethically.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote