Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #1
NHBoat70

Default RIP Citizen Newspaper

The Citizen, a local newspaper that has been around since 1926, is shutting down!!!

http://www.citizen.com/news/2016-09-...n_Sept_30.html

Last edited by NHBoat70; 09-16-2016 at 07:03 AM.
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

That is very sad to hear. Though it isn't in my "neck of the woods", it seemed it had good coverage of the Laconia area.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
Newbiesaukee

Oh no....how can I read Arlo and Janis?

It is both ironic and indicative of something, but in following the link supplied by the OP one gets the official website announcement. But the last sentence uses "it's" as a possessive and this is grammatically incorrect. I am really not the grammar police, but a newspaper should be able to use English properly.

But, I will miss it.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (09-17-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Oh no....how can I read Arlo and Janis?

It is both ironic and indicative of something, but in following the link supplied by the OP one gets the official website announcement. But the last sentence uses "it's" as a possessive and this is grammatically incorrect. I am really not the grammar police, but a newspaper should be able to use English properly.

But, I will miss it.
I read Arlo & Janis here:
http://www.gocomics.com/explore/comics
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
ITD

Unfortunately many newspapers are on shaky grounds financially. Some attribute this to the internet and the availability of instant news from that medium. Personally I think many of these papers have shifted from at least trying to have appearance of impartiality to unabashed activism for whatever cause or leaning the owners/editors have. It has caused them their readership, people want untainted news reports on what's going on. Not biased opinion packaged as news.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
8gv

Multi paragraph, deeply detailed news that was only found in newspapers is too much work for today's media consumer.

Simple statements without context or qualification rule today.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Orion

Default ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Multi paragraph, deeply detailed news that was only found in newspapers is too much work for today's media consumer.

Simple statements without context or qualification rule today.
Bulls%#t!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Supposedly, the golden age of newspapers in the U.S.A was 1940-2000. Believe the Boston Globe was sold in about 1995 to the NY Times for 1.1-bil, and then got resold more recently for maybe 50-million, a loss of 95%.

So, what will happen with the LaDaSun.......which does not publish on Sunday and Monday.....will the LaDaSun become a 7-day/wk newspaper.....or maybe a 6-day/wk newspaper? Believe the Laconia Daily Sun, free at the store and free on the net is now the one paper left in Laconia. www.laconiadailysun.com
Old 09-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
8gv

Remember when the newspaper classified ads were the place to find things for sale?

Now it's Craigslist.

That's a fair amount of money out of their revenue stream.

Regarding the political slant of each publication, I believe it has existed forever but to a lesser extent.

It is now more cost effective to just parrot what other media sources are putting out. With that model, fewer real journalists are needed.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
laketrout

I believe the Citizen was more recently owned by Fosters Daily Democrat out of Dover, NH. Tough times for Fosters and other papers, I enjoy Weirs times for a good read but not for news.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Unfortunately many newspapers are on shaky grounds financially. Some attribute this to the internet and the availability of instant news from that medium. Personally I think many of these papers have shifted from at least trying to have appearance of impartiality to unabashed activism for whatever cause or leaning the owners/editors have. It has caused them their readership, people want untainted news reports on what's going on. Not biased opinion packaged as news.
I would love to think this is true, But it seems people want there reporting "tainted," or slanted, to the way they want it to be. We love the biased opinion, It affirms our beliefs. when it's counter to there opinion, No amount of facts can knock them off that hill.

Last edited by noreast; 09-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Laconai Daily Sun

I will miss the Laconia Citizen. Their reporters do not appear to be political, even when covering local and national politics. The same is not true with the Laconia Daily Sun. Contrast today's coverage of Donald Trump's visit to the Laconia Middle School. The Citizen's report of the rally did not appear to be politicized. In sharp contrast, Michael Kitch reported --

LACONIA — "I'm a messenger," Donald Trump told a capacity crowd of more than 2,000 filling the gym at Laconia Middle School last evening, then began by offering an apocalyptic vision of a country on the brink of ruin before turning to a bright promise of a roseate future of prosperity and security without limits across the land. "It will be a beautiful sight to see," he said.

The Sun's distain for conservative politics is palpable. This isn't reporting, but political commentary.

Like I said, I will miss the Citizen. I've been reading it for over 40 years. Hopefully, another "paper" will take its place.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ....totally fair & balanced!

Quote:
...the Laconia Citizen. Their reporters do not appear to be political, even when covering local and national politics. The same is not true with the Laconia Daily Sun.
So's, what does the future hold for the local newspaper design? Will the LaDaSun start charging 50-cents/paper to be dishing out their liberal bias? Lord have mercy......please give us a local newspaper that is totally fair & balanced ...... ahem!
Old 09-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #14
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

The Citizen certainly paid attention to this forum. Their reporters contacted me several times over the years and some articles were triggered by topics brought up here. I'll really miss their daily news summary emails that helped keep me up-to-date on what's happening in Laconia and Weirs Beach.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-18-2016), diz (09-17-2016), Major (09-16-2016), upthesaukee (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Personally I think many of these papers have shifted from at least trying to have appearance of impartiality to unabashed activism for whatever cause or leaning the owners/editors have. It has caused them their readership, people want untainted news reports on what's going on. Not biased opinion packaged as news.
The "Union Leader" and the " Concord Monitor" are two other examples of that. What's left?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
longislander

Quote:
What's left?

http://www.newhampshirelakesandmountains.com/
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-17-2016), Slickcraft (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #17
Irish mist

The end of an era.......I remember when it was the "Laconia Evening Citizen" & was published late in the afternoon to capture as much news as possible before the day faded away.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #18
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I will miss the Laconia Citizen. Their reporters do not appear to be political, even when covering local and national politics. The same is not true with the Laconia Daily Sun. Contrast today's coverage of Donald Trump's visit to the Laconia Middle School. The Citizen's report of the rally did not appear to be politicized. In sharp contrast, Michael Kitch reported --
Mr. Kitch is probably one of the worst when it comes to that particular problem. That's why I've always liked Roger Amsden's reporting because he's an old school reporter - tells it like it is without editorializing.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That is very sad to hear. Though it isn't in my "neck of the woods", it seemed it had good coverage of the Laconia area.
Sad to see this newspaper go. In it's prime it was published and printed right in Laconia. Then sold a few times.

Few today get their news from newspapers. Sad.

Now - from reading above some get their news from outdated untrue chain emails and obtuse web sites and opinion blogs. No real verified facts. No primary source facts.
Just opinions. Hey, if you read it on the internet or got a chain email it must be true, right?

A good percentage posting here don't even know what a primary source it.
A good percentage posting here never verify from trusted sources all of the "information" they espouse.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #20
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Sad to see this newspaper go. In it's prime it was published and printed right in Laconia. Then sold a few times.

Few today get their news from newspapers. Sad.

Now - from reading above some get their news from outdated untrue chain emails and obtuse web sites and opinion blogs. No real verified facts. No primary source facts.
Just opinions. Hey, if you read it on the internet or got a chain email it must be true, right?

A good percentage posting here don't even know what a primary source it.
A good percentage posting here never verify from trusted sources all of the "information" they espouse.
Actually Professor, if you talking about me you couldn't be more wrong. The first thing I look at is the source, I don't necessarily disregard blogs, but if it is something controversial I look for the original material which for most news in typically videoed and available via google. Specifically lately for Trump, I search the scandal of the day as the networks try to take him down and find the original speech or conference they are talking about. 9 times out of 10 the reality of what he said is much different from the spin of your hallowed newspapers or evening news.

Comedy shows such as SNL, Cobert are not place to find out what is going on. Original content is easy to find on line, sourced from CNN, FOX, AP, and many other traditional sources. I will usually read about events that take a day or two before they appear on the evening news.

So professor, you can continue to feel superior reading your several day old news in your newspaper, being spoon fed spin and lies, but I stopped contributing to their BS by not subscribing years ago.

Your "trusted" sources are disappearing because they are not trustworthy.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
noreast (09-18-2016)