Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default 100' 12-gauge extension cord

I bought a Greenworks dethatcher: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030BG1HM...t_details&th=1

Don't laugh. It has very good reviews. I paid $75 for it. Guess how much a 100' 12-gauge extension cord costs for this machine? That's right---$75 to $100. Any cheaper sources for extension cords?

For 100', would 14-gauge work?

Last edited by SailinAway; 05-31-2022 at 05:20 AM.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Ever been to JR's Discount on Route 104, New Hampton, not too far from Exit 23, or to the Quonset Hut on Route 25 in Rumney. Both could have it for less.
SailinAway (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:21 AM   #3
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ever been to JR's Discount on Route 104, New Hampton, not too far from Exit 23, or to the Quonset Hut on Route 25 in Rumney. Both could have it for less.
Thanks, FLL. I knew you would have an answer to this.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
billy

a little less than $75 if Thursday delivery will work
Attached Images

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billy For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 11:50 AM   #5
SailinAway

I've concluded (from Amazon reviews and manufacturer's specs) that 14-gauge would be OK for this machine. 10 amps, 100'.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2022, 12:22 PM   #6
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I bought a Greenworks dethatcher: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030BG1HM...t_details&th=1

Don't laugh. It has very good reviews. I paid $75 for it. Guess how much a 100' 12-gauge extension cord costs for this machine? That's right---$75 to $100. Any cheaper sources for extension cords?

I have a general question regarding the dethatcher. My lawn at home is not smooth. I’ve wanted to get a dethatcher but was worried about scalping the high points. Is that a potential issue with the Greenworks unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I have a general question regarding the dethatcher. My lawn at home is not smooth. I’ve wanted to get a dethatcher but was worried about scalping the high points. Is that a potential issue with the Greenworks unit? [/url]
Well, you would need to read some of the 12,000 reviews to answer that. A number of reviews mention that a relatively flat lawn is best, but some 5-star reviews say they have a "hilly" lawn, which isn't the same as a lawn with high points. My machine arrived today so I'll post some feedback when I get it going. I expect my lawn to look awful afterward, but I figure reseeding is easier than raking. I've been raking thatch for 20 years and it just gets worse each year. At the sale price I paid, this machine is cheaper and much more convenient than renting. Today's price is $97, which still seems very reasonable. The reviews are very good and YouTube videos show that it removes a lot of thatch. One tip from the reviews is to use a leaf blower instead of a rake to collect the thatch.

Extension cord: The cheapest 14-gauge extension cords I found:

Harbor Freight Gilford: Vanguard 50’ $25 100’ $45
Walmart: Hypertough 50’ $26.83 100’ $47
Lowes: Utilitech 50’ $33.48 100’ $47
Home Depot: more expensive

I'm going to get two 50' cords because they're easier to handle and more convenient for jobs close to the house.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Unless your lawn is horrible right now, you should wait until fall or you will be exposing fresh soil to crabgrass seeds. Thatch and core aerate then overseed late summer.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:41 PM   #9
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Unless your lawn is horrible right now, you should wait until fall or you will be exposing fresh soil to crabgrass seeds. Thatch and core aerate then overseed late summer.
It's horrible. The word "lawn" may be a misnomer. Thank you for this information that I wasn't aware of.

I also have a (misguided?) hope that if I dethatch right now I will be able to rout out tent caterpillar larvae before they go up my walnut trees?? They have caused severe damage for the last couple of years and one of the trees is showing signs of distress. Walnut trees are toxic to all vegetation except moss. There is thick moss under the trees and apparently the caterpillars really like moss.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I recall seeing rotary lawn mower blades with spring extensions that were supposed to de-thatch as you mowed. I don't cut grass anymore, so haven't paid attention. With a vacuum mower the clippings go into the bag/basket and don't form thatch. I use those clippings in flower and vegetable gardens for mulch, so no weeding. Over the winter the clippings decompose and add nitrogen to the soil when it gets tuned over in the spring. Don't use grass clippings if there has been any sort of recent anti-weed treatment.

The guys who cut the grass also aerate which I believe helps.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:21 PM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
It's horrible. The word "lawn" may be a misnomer. Thank you for this information that I wasn't aware of.

I also have a (misguided?) hope that if I dethatch right now I will be able to rout out tent caterpillar larvae before they go up my walnut trees?? They have caused severe damage for the last couple of years and one of the trees is showing signs of distress. Walnut trees are toxic to all vegetation except moss. There is thick moss under the trees and apparently the caterpillars really like moss.
Ha!! Go for it, just realize you will get some crabgrass. It will start dying at first cold snap, then thatch and overseed. Next spring use a pre-emergent crabicide. I cant speak to thatching helping with the insects, but moss is tricky to deal with so you should consider insecticide. I realize that not all want to use chemicals. There are some natural methods but usually less effective.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #12
TheProfessor

There is a fella in town.
Years ago.
Had new septic system with pump.
Disgusted with price of underground wire.
Went to hardware store and purchased an orange extension cord to wire house to pump. Yes, he buried it.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:58 PM   #13
Woody38

Dethached an area of the lawn 2-3 weeks ago. Scarified and seeded with Scotts Northeast. Water by hose at 9am and irrigation at 5pm. Looking pretty good. There is an area with crabgrass coming and I tx. with Weed Stop.
On the golf course they slice seed in August and water as I did.

I an a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #14
John Mercier

Quote:

I believe if you could look under the leaves of the tree up close you will see the eggs laid in a mass.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:

If you haven’t already bought one and if you have a Sam’s Club membership or know someone who has…for $59.00 they have a 100’ yellow jacket extension cord 12/3 wire. Yellow jacket is arguably the best extension cord made and will last you for many years.

Dan
upthesaukee (06-12-2022)