Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
garysanfran

Default Current forecast...

I just saw a forecast for minus 14 degree cold weather on Wednesday...I don't remember it ever getting that cold.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

This has been the coldest stretch in a long while. While it's putting a damper on some of my activities, it should make for a much lower tick, stink bug, etc. season...and it's real nice to read by a wood stove!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
This has been the coldest stretch in a long while. While it's putting a damper on some of my activities, it should make for a much lower tick, stink bug, etc. season...and it's real nice to read by a wood stove!

In full agreement. Currently reading the “the last lion” trilogy

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
pondguy

I'm working on "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I just saw a forecast for minus 14 degree cold weather on Wednesday...I don't remember it ever getting that cold.
It happens. On Sunday, I got up about 7 am. My wife said "It's 14 below outside", to which I said "Brrrrr.". I plunked down in my chair with my cup of coffee, and went on Weatherbug. It was just at dawn, which is often the coldest point of the day, and it changed to 15 below. That would be LCI airport temperature.

Do we see a lot days of -15°? No. Do we see below zero temps with some regularity? Yes.

Now if you want go talk about cold, try changing a flat tire at 62 degrees below zero. . Eielson AFB AK winter of 1970, I think it was.

Dave
Old 01-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

Between mid-Jan 2015 and mid-Feb, I recorded 30 mornings straight where the temp was either single digits or at or below zero. So, not unusual for this time of year. But this year is a cold one.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 01-25-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #7
garysanfran

And the question becomes... "Would you prefer temps. in the minus 0 in New Hampshire or above 100 in Florida?"

As I posted in another thread, no can dress for the cold, but can only undress so far for the heat and humidity.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Default Others may have posted...

New England. I can always put on more clothes and wood in the stove to stay warm.

In Florida, I can only take off a certain amount of clothing to cool off, before I start to offend, or perhaps sicken, other people.

Dave
codeman671 (01-26-2022), garysanfran (01-25-2022), rander7823 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 06:57 PM   #9
garysanfran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
New England. I can always put on more clothes and wood in the stove to stay warm.

In Florida, I can only take off a certain amount of clothing to cool off, before I start to offend, or perhaps sicken, other people.

Dave
It sounds like you have experience in this regard...
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:22 PM   #10
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

Now you’re talking.
Keeps unnatural species from creeping north as well.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:32 PM   #11
mswlogo

Quote:
It was -17F last Saturday Night.
Wednesday night is a balmy -12F forecast.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:33 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Question Is this cold snap about to get snapped starting tomorrow?

Quote:
While the temp right now, 6:30-am Wednesday, Jan 26, up top the summit of Mt Washington, an air mile distance of approximately 54.08-miles from Meredith, is -13 degrees, the temp in Meredith is +6 degrees so it did not get close to the forecast for minus 14 degrees. The difference between +6 and -14 is 20 degrees (duh!) which is a lot of difference, it would seem.

Is this deep freeze cold snap about to get snapped, starting tomorrow, Thursday, January 27 when it looks like the forecast for a 7-am, -6.1 degree early morning is the last time that a below zero temp is forecast. So's tomorrow Thurs-Jan 27, 7-am could be the last of this cold snap for an unknown time until, if and when, it-the c-o-l-d returns in February which may or may not be happening! ..... ..... www.weather.gov .... and enter Mt Wash
Old 01-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #13
garysanfran

Default The coldest temp. recorded in every state...

I was quite surprised at some of these "nummmm brrrrrs"...

https://bestlifeonline.com/coldest-t...ever-recorded/
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:01 PM   #14
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
While the temp right now, 6:30-am Wednesday, Jan 26, up top the summit of Mt Washington, an air mile distance of approximately 54.08-miles from Meredith, is -13 degrees, the temp in Meredith is +6 degrees so it did not get close to the forecast for minus 14 degrees. The difference between +6 and -14 is 20 degrees (duh!) which is a lot of difference, it would seem.

Is this deep freeze cold snap about to get snapped, starting tomorrow, Thursday, January 27 when it looks like the forecast for a 7-am, -6.1 degree early morning is the last time that a below zero temp is forecast. So's tomorrow Thurs-Jan 27, 7-am could be the last of this cold snap for an unknown time until, if and when, it-the c-o-l-d returns in February which may or may not be happening! ..... ..... www.weather.gov .... and enter Mt Wash
That cold “Wednesday Night” forecast is for tonight !! As in Thursday morning

Old 01-26-2022, 11:02 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Be brave

January thaw is on the way.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #16
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
January thaw is on the way.
Groundhogs Day-2022, Wednesday, February 2 is forecast to be 33-40 degrees, a big warm-up from the previous two weeks of this here deep freeze, winter weather. Could be a good day to adjust the tension on the snowblower so's reverse gear will be working, again. Having a working reverse will be a good thing!

Snowblower piece of advice here; never own a snowblower that weighs more than yourself.

Question: So, what do you do when the snowblower breaks down?

Answer: Use a shovel! ......

Hey there ...... the Meredith pond hockey event is happening Friday, Feb 4 to Sunday, Feb 6 so's a warm-up weekend pond hockey may not be the greatest for the ice surface but it should be good for that Labatt's beer tent. ... ... and beer fixes everything! ...

..... let's get the puck outta here and go hit that beer tent ...... yeah!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-27-2022 at 10:21 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:40 AM   #17
mswlogo

Forecast and weather station almost in perfect sync.

-14.6F around 6AM last forecast was -14F I think

BTW thats from my own weather station on weather underground. You can find a weather station near you and get all the history. Highs and Lows by day, week, month etc. There are dozens on Winni. Sone are more reliable than others. So shop around.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHBRIST29
Old 01-31-2022, 10:53 AM   #18
PCTim

Default Small World

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Now if you want go talk about cold, try changing a flat tire at 62 degrees below zero. . Eielson AFB AK winter of 1970, I think it was.

Dave
I think my uncle was there, somewhere around that time. I know he was in the Air Force, stationed in Alaska. Doing the math, he would've been 18 at the end of 1969, so probably late 1970, 71 possibly? I think he was at an observatory of some kind. His name is Jerry Guyot.
PCTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PCTim For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 11:07 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTim View Post
I think my uncle was there ..... His name is Jerry Guyot.
Didn't Alaska name a glacier after him ....... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyot_Glacier .....
PCTim (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 01:26 PM   #20
DRH

Default Yep, It's Been Cold!

Quote:
It was -12 degs. here in Meredith last Wed. morning. This morning it was -10 degs at 7:00am, but full sun all day has brought the temp. up to 30 as I am writing this at 1:20pm. All in all, January was a very cold month.
trfour (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 02:33 PM   #21
mswlogo

Although I see it more as a more normal winter than abnormal one, this stretch of average cold temps is getting rather long.

Another 12" storm forecasted for Thursday night and Friday.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:13 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Although I see it more as a more normal winter than abnormal one, this stretch of average cold temps is getting rather long.

Another 12" storm forecasted for Thursday night and Friday.
Bring on the snow! If it's gonna be cold, we might as well have what makes winter activities enjoyable.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (01-31-2022), mswlogo (02-01-2022), trfour (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:10 PM   #23
ghfromaltonbay

Default Cold here too, and no heat!

It's been very cold here in NJ too. The shore area got over a foot of snow on Saturday, while here in the northeast corner of the state it was 6-8". Morning temps in the single digits. Woke up to 10 degrees outside yesterday and 51 inside. My steam boiler which was scheduled to be replaced at the end of February gave out during the night. Limped along with 3 electric space heaters and baseboard heat in bathroom until the temps outside reached 25 and inside was 55. Turned on the Fujitsu mini splits and managed to get the house up to 65. My mini splits are only rated to be effective to 25 degrees for heating. Normally I use the steam boiler with natural gas for fuel and used the minis strictly for cooling. Thank goodness for the minis! Luckily my plumber arrived early this a.m. with a new 100K BTU boiler, and it is being installed as I type this. That and a new 40 gallon gas water heater which had also been planned for installation next month. Can't believe the boiler gave up the ghost on the coldest weekend of the winter. Forecast shows 48 degrees here on Thursday!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 05:13 PM   #24
DRH

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
It's been very cold here in NJ too. The shore area got over a foot of snow on Saturday, while here in the northeast corner of the state it was 6-8". Morning temps in the single digits. Woke up to 10 degrees outside yesterday and 51 inside. My steam boiler which was scheduled to be replaced at the end of February gave out during the night. Limped along with 3 electric space heaters and baseboard heat in bathroom until the temps outside reached 25 and inside was 55. Turned on the Fujitsu mini splits and managed to get the house up to 65. My mini splits are only rated to be effective to 25 degrees for heating. Normally I use the steam boiler with natural gas for fuel and used the minis strictly for cooling. Thank goodness for the minis! Luckily my plumber arrived early this a.m. with a new 100K BTU boiler, and it is being installed as I type this. That and a new 40 gallon gas water heater which had also been planned for installation next month. Can't believe the boiler gave up the ghost on the coldest weekend of the winter. Forecast shows 48 degrees here on Thursday!
If you check your boiler's original warranty it probably states that once out-of-warranty it will probably fail on one of the coldest day of the year! Yes, good thing you have the mini-splits. Ours are working well here in Meredith, although we're supplementing them with the oil boiler and the gas stove in the living room on the coldest days.

Tomorrow it will be February ... I wonder what Mother Nature has in store for us next month!
trfour (01-31-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 08:45 AM   #25
upthesaukee

Default Think positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
If you check your boiler's original warranty it probably states that once out-of-warranty it will probably fail on one of the coldest day of the year! Yes, good thing you have the mini-splits. Ours are working well here in Meredith, although we're supplementing them with the oil boiler and the gas stove in the living room on the coldest days.

Tomorrow it will be February ... I wonder what Mother Nature has in store for us next month!
A friend posted on a different social media : "Finally, showing will be here next month."

There's optimism.

Dave
DRH (02-01-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Quote:
Groundhogs Day-2022, Wednesday, February 2 is forecast to be 33-40 degrees, a big warm-up from the previous two weeks of this here deep freeze, winter weather.

Hey there ...... the Meredith pond hockey event is happening Friday, Feb 4 to Sunday, Feb 6 so's a warm-up weekend pond hockey may not be the greatest for the ice surface but it should be good for that Labatt's beer tent. ... ... and beer fixes everything! ...

..... let's get the puck outta here and go hit that beer tent ...... yeah!
Hey there again ...... I said that on Thursday, January 27 ...... and who knew it ..... but on Friday, Feb 4, the Pond Hockey-Meredith Bay event was closed for the day and on Saturday, Feb 5, it was cancelled in total for the weekend due to rough ice surface condition and water flooding through cracks in the ice surface supposedly caused by the weather or something.

Cancellation notice: Saturday, Feb 5; http://www.pondhockeyclassic.com/phc...ment-cancelled ....... Meredith Bay, Lake Winnipesaukee

I don't know ..... if you ask me ..... with so many pickup trucks, shacks, and numerous items like people and gear out on the ice .... maybe the weight of all these items was enough to sink the floating ice just a tiny bit and cause it to flood? Ice is 10% less dense than liquid water and floats on top of the water. When the ice surface gets depressed just a tiny bit due to all the added weight with the Pond Hockey event it makes the water come up through any cracks in the ice surface.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-06-2022 at 08:27 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #27
mswlogo

Quote:
Hey there again ...... I said that on Thursday, January 27 ...... and who knew it ..... but on Friday, Feb 4, the Pond Hockey-Meredith Bay event was closed for the day and on Saturday, Feb 5, it was cancelled in total for the weekend due to rough ice surface condition and water flooding through cracks in the ice surface supposedly caused by the weather or something.

Cancellation notice: Saturday, Feb 5; http://www.pondhockeyclassic.com/phc...ment-cancelled ....... Meredith Bay, Lake Winnipesaukee

I don't know ..... if you ask me ..... with so many pickup trucks, shacks, and numerous items like people and gear out on the ice .... maybe the weight of all these items was enough to sink the floating ice just a tiny bit and cause it to flood? Ice is 10% less dense than liquid water and floats on top of the water. When the ice surface gets depressed just a tiny bit due to all the added weight with the Pond Hockey event it makes the water come up through any cracks in the ice surface.
I'm no ice fisher but the ice must be really thick right now after such a long stretch of cold. The rain didn't so much melt or weaken it, but pooled a lot and absorbed into the snow that was out there. Did all that weight cause the cracks and water to come flooding through, I doubt it. Compared to the weight of the water from the rain, the trucks etc. are nothing. You tend to get uneven spots from wind blowing snow around. If you have a tiny different in height the water migrates there and pushes it down more making more room for more water. I think most of it is the rain itself, and the snow it melted pooling to the lowest point near by.

I highly suspect it was not canceled for safety reasons, but more the ice is just really crappy right now. I was out on NewFound yesterday and it was a layer of slush under the snow. I'm sure there are big puddles too. But I'm sure the ice is still solid, for now.

Cracks form all the time. It still floats.

Looks like an average weather week coming up.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:44 PM   #28
trfour

Exclamation I be a weather nut

The polar vortex has weakened and is in the process of splitting, AccuWeather Lead Long-Range Meteorologist Paul Pastelok explained earlier this week. When the polar vortex is in a strong phase, it tends to hover near the North Pole and the coldest air stays locked up near and north of the Arctic Circle. But, when the polar vortex weakens, there is often a southward discharge of much colder air in part of the U.S.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...edgdhp&pc=U531

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-24-2022 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add Title
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote