Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Pool closings II- non political

I was going to respond to the comments and questions re association pool closings, but it’s now a closed thread. Here’s how the problem was addressed at our condo in Sarasota: the 2 pools were closed in March...and I must admit that my reaction was not very ladylike...and they kept it closed until May 8th, after the board received a pretty well thought out legal opinion from our attorney. Basically, though nothing is ever 100% iron clad, they opened the pools with postings in bold letters that you swim at your own risk, etc. Also, the number of occupants was limited, and all pool furniture was removed so that if you forgot a chair, you undoubtedly stayed in the pool and became a prune. Anyhow, people were so happy to have the pools reopened that we haven’t heard anything negative. So...that’s my two cents’ worth. Good luck!
P.S. Those who are concerned about catching the virus should stay home, and not ruin it for everyone else!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Chris M (05-30-2020), Reilly (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I was going to respond to the comments and questions re association pool closings, but it’s now a closed thread. Here’s how the problem was addressed at our condo in Sarasota: the 2 pools were closed in March...and I must admit that my reaction was not very ladylike...and they kept it closed until May 8th, after the board received a pretty well thought out legal opinion from our attorney. Basically, though nothing is ever 100% iron clad, they opened the pools with postings in bold letters that you swim at your own risk, etc. Also, the number of occupants was limited, and all pool furniture was removed so that if you forgot a chair, you undoubtedly stayed in the pool and became a prune. Anyhow, people were so happy to have the pools reopened that we haven’t heard anything negative. So...that’s my two cents’ worth. Good luck!
P.S. Those who are concerned about catching the virus should stay home, and not ruin it for everyone else!
I thought you said non-political. The P.S. just opens it up for all sorts of mess.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I thought you said non-political. The P.S. just opens it up for all sorts of mess.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
GG, my P.S. was not intended to be political. I am in the category of those needing to be careful not to catch the virus, and so it’s MY responsibility to stay home if I am concerned. That’s all I meant by that...you read too much into it. As far as closing everything so that nobody gets to enjoy the outdoor fun, it’s a shame...people should be able to use proper judgment and not be subject to so many government decisions/ restrictions. JMO. Also, I should have emphasized more any association’s biggest fear: lawsuits...and that’s why a very detailed opinion had to come from the attorney before they considered the opening. In the case of the one I am familiar with, there’s a fairly large percentage of renters, which makes the threat of lawsuits even greater.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Chris M (05-31-2020), SAMIAM (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
FlyingScot

Quote:
GG, my P.S. was not intended to be political. I am in the category of those needing to be careful not to catch the virus, and so it’s MY responsibility to stay home if I am concerned. That’s all I meant by that...you read too much into it. As far as closing everything so that nobody gets to enjoy the outdoor fun, it’s a shame...people should be able to use proper judgment and not be subject to so many government decisions/ restrictions. JMO. Also, I should have emphasized more any association’s biggest fear: lawsuits...and that’s why a very detailed opinion had to come from the attorney before they considered the opening. In the case of the one I am familiar with, there’s a fairly large percentage of renters, which makes the threat of lawsuits even greater.
Except that if the virus is propagating at your condo or in your neighborhood by people using pools, your chance of getting infected is going up, even when you are not at the pool. You will be crossing paths with "healthy" carriers more often. Stay safe!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Except that if the virus is propagating at your condo or in your neighborhood by people using pools, your chance of getting infected is going up, even when you are not at the pool. You will be crossing paths with "healthy" carriers more often. Stay safe!
What you say is true; however, at some point, don’t we as individuals have to decide whether or not we want to live like hermits, avoiding all risks, or actually enjoy life, taking reasonable precautions? My vote is for the latter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Chris M (05-31-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
Chris M

Quote:
GG, my P.S. was not intended to be political. I am in the category of those needing to be careful not to catch the virus, and so it’s MY responsibility to stay home if I am concerned. That’s all I meant by that...you read too much into it.
I hear you, and agree. I think just your simple mention of personal responsibility is what made it political in their eyes. Personal responsibility used to be respected, and the American way, but lately it's despised by a growing segment of the population who feels we're all in this together and that gives them the right to run at least part of our lives - for our own benefit, of course, because folks who believe in personal responsibility are inherently less intelligent than they are.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
FlyingScot

Quote:
My vote is for the latter.
Hey! I'm trying to keep your "non political" thread non political
Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hey! I'm trying to keep your "non political" thread non political
That ain’t political....just a case of two different viewpoints. I might regret this, but I intend to live rather than just be [a lump of lard]. 🤓
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
That ain’t political....just a case of two different viewpoints. I might regret this, but I intend to live rather than just be [a lump of lard]. 🤓
I was only teasing. As GG pointed out, your original non political post was kind of political. Then your subsequent non political post referred to "your vote", which is, of course, political.

But, more seriously--I'm good with your condo in Florida doing whatever the members would like. My admittedly selfish hope is that the very political moves to open up things in some states will end up testing the waters for us here. If the states that relax most quickly see a spike in cases, we will know they were wrong to reopen as quickly as they did. If they do not see any sort of spike or increase in Ro, we will know that they were right, and that we should open more here.