Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Garden Tractor issue

I have a problem with my 15 yr old Scotts (MTD) tractor.
18 hp B&S engine, 46" deck

Tractor will not move forward or backwards.
Up until now this tractor has been VERY dependable, except for a few belt replacements and batteries over the years.

Problem started the other day when driving, I stopped, and shut it off to talk to a neighbor. When I got back on to start, I noticed that when moving forward, it seemed to be grabbing like the brake was on ! Note: TO start you have to press on the brake, otherwise engine will not start, a safety control I guess.

Anyway, after trying to drive forward it continued to grab and jerk. I decided to shut it down and call it a day. I shifter the release mechanism under the seat, which basically puts transmission into neutral to you can push around without much effort.

Troubleshoot the issue today, removed right rear wheel to check the brake disc mechanism, and it was stuck, and couldn't be moved. I shot some WD40 in/around the disc and loosened the plate cover over the disc, I could then spin the disc without much effort.

Thinking I was home free, I put it all back together, started the engine, and pushed the pedal forward, only to find it would now, not go forward or reverse ?

At least before I started trouble-shooting, it would go in both directions.

Thoughts ?
bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
dayvsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I have a problem with my 15 yr old Scotts (MTD) tractor.
18 hp B&S engine, 46" deck

Tractor will not move forward or backwards.
Up until now this tractor has been VERY dependable, except for a few belt replacements and batteries over the years.

Problem started the other day when driving, I stopped, and shut it off to talk to a neighbor. When I got back on to start, I noticed that when moving forward,
it seemed to be grabbing like the brake was on ! Note: TO start you have to press on the brake, otherwise engine will not start, a safety control I guess.

Anyway, after trying to drive forward it continued to grab and jerk.
I decided to shut it down and call it a day. I shifter the release mechanism under the seat, which basically puts transmission into neutral to you can push around without much effort.

Troubleshoot the issue today, removed right rear wheel to check the brake disc mechanism, and it was stuck, and couldn't be moved. I shot some WD40 in/around the disc and loosened the plate cover over the disc, I could then spin the disc without much effort.

Thinking I was home free, I put it all back together, started the engine, and
pushed the pedal forward. Now, it will not go forward or reverse.
At least before I started, it would go in both directions.

Thoughts ?
Have some ideas...If you say the brake was grabbing when not being applied..My tractor doesn't have "brake discs" like a car does, it just stops the drive line..If your IS like a car, and the wheel cylinder has water in the brake-line which is now in the wheel cylinder, it could just be full of corrosion and seized.. Do you have the exact Model of the the tractor?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
bigdog

Dayvsea.....

I have no brake cylinder or brake lines with fluid like a car.

The braking system is just that disc. When you press the brake pedal it engages a lever which then applies pressure to the disc, which stops motion.

It's a very simple basic system but works !
Old 11-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
dayvsea

Yah OK that's what I thought.. If you can jack up the back end enough to just get the wheels to clear the ground you can shift to slack, and see if you can turn the wheels, ruling out rear end gears,wheel bearing/bushing.. And since it was running fine and you just turned it off.. It sounds like something easy.. Motor starts and runs ok? (If not, check seat cutoff circuit) Most of the smaller ones have 2 belts.. Have you checked that the belts haven't parted? It's just that getting off of a running tractor, then experiencing this, that makes me suspect something less.....mechanical...
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
bigdog

Tractor has electrostatic transmission and clutch. The gas pedal as you know it actually controls the direction 'forward and reverse'. I have a lever on the dash that controls speed.

The brake pedal on left, is actually a clutch and control braking and disengages the transmission.

I disconnected the seat cut-out switch to engine years ago. Also, there is a lever control under the seat, which when moved, will put tractor in neutral, and allow the tractor to be moved around with pushing.
I did that and can move tractor without issues.

Will check owner's manual for possible gear belts, but have yet to see any ?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Model # would help
Old 11-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
dayvsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Tractor has electrostatic transmission and clutch. The gas pedal as you know it actually controls the direction 'forward and reverse'. I have a lever on the dash that controls speed.

The brake pedal on left, is actually a clutch and control braking and disengages the transmission.

I disconnected the seat cut-out switch to engine years ago. Also, there is a lever control under the seat, which when moved, will put tractor in neutral, and allow the tractor to be moved around with pushing.
I did that and can move tractor without issues.

Will check owner's manual for possible gear belts, but have yet to see any ?
Without knowing the model # and just guessing here.. I think your tranny on the thing is slipping and grabbing....THAT, would be a symptom to post on maybe an arborist or garden site..Some one with that same rig has had that happen to them as well...
Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
ITD

Start with the obvious, you did move that lever from neutral to engage when you tried to move right? Next check the fluid level. Pretty sure you have a "hydrostatic" transmission, which uses a hydraulic pump to provide power to the wheels, so low fluid could be and issue. Next I would change the filter, although I doubt this is an issue, you never know. Beyond that you may need a rebuild which will set you back a few bucks, may not be worth it. Hope it's something simple.

Edit, It would help to know the model, some people are saying a transmission oil change will solve problems like you are having, for a while.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
dpg

Get it looked at somewhere, are you able to get it to a repair shop? 15 yrs really isn't all that old if you've been taking care of it. This summer my Toro rider just stopped running and blew piles of white smoke into the air I automatically figured I seized the engine. When I called a local shop (Mass.) they said it sounded like a head gasket failure. I got it to them and come to find out the carb simply clogged and gas backed up into the oil. A good old fashioned tune up and carb cleaning fixed the problem and it's now running like a clock. Set me back a few hundred bucks but for now it beat spending 1,500+ for a new machine. Never know could be "nothing."
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #10
Water Camper

Default Lakeport Power Equipemnt

BigDog: Contact Keinan Martin at Lakeport Power Equipment in Laconia at 527-0940.

He has helped me for years keep my 1980's John Deere running. He does offer free local pickup and delivery.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #11
bigdog

Yes I do have a have a "hydrostatic" transmission, but not sure where the hydraulic pump may be located? When I find it will check fluid level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Start with the obvious, you did move that lever from neutral to engage when you tried to move right? Next check the fluid level. Pretty sure you have a "hydrostatic" transmission, which uses a hydraulic pump to provide power to the wheels, so low fluid could be and issue. Next I would change the filter, although I doubt this is an issue, you never know. Beyond that you may need a rebuild which will set you back a few bucks, may not be worth it. Hope it's something simple.

Edit, It would help to know the model, some people are saying a transmission oil change will solve problems like you are having, for a while.