Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
granitebox

Default 2023 Hunting Season

So, with the opening of hunting season, has anyone harvested any island deer yet?
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 11:52 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default No Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
So, with the opening of hunting season, has anyone harvested any island deer yet?
I do not believe you are allowed to hunt on any of the islands. Occasionally if the deer herd gets out of control they have allowed special permitted hunting in the past for people who have disabilities. I believe this happened on Long Island a few years ago...

Dan
Old 09-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #3
granitebox

It changed this year - hunting on islands (assuming proper property access is in place) is allowed.

"Deer may be hunted on islands. Special permits are still required to hunt deer on Long and Governor's Islands in Lake Winnipesaukee. See Deer Hunting Regulations for details."
Old 09-18-2023, 01:24 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
It changed this year - hunting on islands (assuming proper property access is in place) is allowed.

"Deer may be hunted on islands. Special permits are still required to hunt deer on Long and Governor's Islands in Lake Winnipesaukee. See Deer Hunting Regulations for details."
Yes I checked this morning and was very surprised to see the change. I fail to see the sport in that, kind of like hunting in a fenced in preserve. Also, somewhat dangerous in the small confines of an island. Any direction that you shoot will be toward someone's camp.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Access?

I agree with Slickcraft about dangers and proximity to camps and hikers just going to visit other camps with no expectation of island hunters.
You can park on the highway and walk into the woods to hunt. You don't have permission to tie up at my dock to go hunting on an island, so access is limited.

I was always under the impression that discharge of firearms (hunting or otherwise) was not allowed on Gilford islands..
Does LRCT allow hunting on Stonedam, Rattlesnake or 5 Mile? Can't imagine 3 Mile and Sandy allow hunting.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #6
ishoot308

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Yes I checked this morning and was very surprised to see the change. I fail to see the sport in that, kind of like hunting in a fenced in preserve. Also, somewhat dangerous in the small confines of an island. Any direction that you shoot will be toward someone's camp.

Alan
Completely agree...

Dan
Old 09-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
granitebox

Sorry, didn't intend to start a discussion about the pro and cons, that was decided by F&G last year - the islands are overrun with a non-sustainable population of deer, they are cute but they are doing more harm than good now.

There are plenty of folks that allow access to the islands, without markings, the default is you allow access to your property for hunting.

From NH F&G website:

"Based on long-standing tradition, nearly all lands in the state of New Hampshire are open to hunting. The "rule of thumb" in New Hampshire is: all state, federal, municipal, county and private land is open to hunting unless it is posted against hunting. However, hunting is a privilege granted by the landowner -- not a right granted to the hunter. "

Last edited by granitebox; 09-18-2023 at 03:34 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 09-18-2023, 03:50 PM   #8
ishoot308

Default No Thanks

Quote:
Sorry, didn't intend to start a discussion about the pro and cons, that was decided by F&G last year - the islands are overrun with a non-sustainable population of deer, they are cute but they are doing more harm than good now.

There are plenty of folks that allow access to the islands, without markings, the default is you allow access to your property for hunting.

From NH F&G website:

"Based on long-standing tradition, nearly all lands in the state of New Hampshire are open to hunting. The "rule of thumb" in New Hampshire is: all state, federal, municipal, county and private land is open to hunting unless it is posted against hunting. However, hunting is a privilege granted by the landowner -- not a right granted to the hunter. "
I can totally understand controlling the herd...but I think maybe opening to bow and arrow only first would of been a hell of a lot smarter....

I love to hunt and fish, but I would get no pleasure island hunting deer on Winni with a gun...that's just unsportsmanlike in my opinion...

Dan
Old 09-18-2023, 04:03 PM   #9
jazzman

Seems crazy. I guess on a lot of islands you can find spots more than 300 ft from houses if you know the island well. But... The center of islands is elevated by definition and if you miss the chances of hitting a house are certainly non zero. If the average camp is 40 feet wide on a 100 foot lot then 40% of the land around the island lakefront has a house on it. Of course the Z axis is in play too but the drop over 200-300 yards is only a few feet. Maybe the trees would save us :-)
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:25 PM   #10
DickR

On Long Island, at least, and perhaps for other islands on the lake where permitted, there is a fall bow "hunting" season from mid-October, mid-week only, until I think after Thanksgiving, into December. At least one group, BWMANH, refers to this as a "deer reduction" program, not hunting. A minimum of one acre is required, with one owner giving permission, or combined one acre for two or more abutting owners all giving permission. Crossbows are used, from tree stands, so shooting is downward. The signed permission slips must be with the hunter. The land owner may impose any restrictions whatsoever on use of his property for the purpose, such as times, where on the property to use, parking. Of course, if the restrictions are too onerous, that property is effectively not allowing it.

I am in favor of the program; my wife is not. Our compromise is to allow it every other year.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-21-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 05:31 PM   #11
Descant

Quote:

From NH F&G website:

Which (non-bridged) islands are overrun? Whose dock can you tie up to without permission? Different sets of rules at work here. I have observed Marine Patrol order uninvited boaters to leave my neighbor's beach--neighbor wasn't home, no signs, but somebody reported them.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:46 PM   #12
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Which (non-bridged) islands are overrun?
Bear Island has too many deer. I can’t see how hunting will ever be allowed there.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #13
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I can totally understand controlling the herd...but I think maybe opening to bow and arrow only first would of been a hell of a lot smarter....

I love to hunt and fish, but I would get no pleasure island hunting deer on Winni with a gun...that's just unsportsmanlike in my opinion...

Dan
And circumstance or property owner discretion may lead to that.
The restrictions are not void; just island property is no longer going to be treated different than other property.

I can still allow written permission on my property after posting.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:17 AM   #14
steve-on-mark

Can you say " shooting fish in a barrel"? Took this just now off my back deck...where would the sport be in this??

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2023, 07:59 AM   #15
ishoot308

Default Fish in a barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Can you say " shooting fish in a barrel"? Took this just now off my back deck...where would the sport be in this??

My point exactly Steve! While deer can swim they prefer not to and will stay on the islands till the ice freezes over. By doing this they get used to humans and are not at all afraid of them...On Welch I have walked right up to them within a few feet before they walk away...not run away... We have a herd on Welch of about 10 deer + or -. All of these deer are semi tame and are unfortunately unafraid of humans.

I think NHF&G made a mistake on this one...

Dan
Old 09-19-2023, 08:06 AM   #16
steve-on-mark

Quote:
My point exactly Steve! While deer can swim they prefer not to and will stay on the islands till the ice freezes over. By doing this they get used to humans and are not at all afraid of them...On Welch I have walked right up to them within a few feet before they walk away...not run away... We have a herd on Welch of about 10 deer + or -. All of these deer are semi tame and are unfortunately unafraid of humans.

I think NHF&G made a mistake on this one...

Dan
Same here...when I see them , I talk to them and they will sometimes even walk up to me. We have 3 babies this year and they too are learning not to be fearful.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:25 AM   #17
Garcia

Default I don't have an answer

On Bear Island, there are too many deer which is starting to have a detrimental impact on the island. With no natural predators the heard keeps growing. I can't see the island property owners embracing hunting so I think the number of deer will continue to grow.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:46 AM   #18
ITD

I think it's more inhumane to not hunt. Back in the 90's there were so many deer on Long Island that there was not enough food for them. You would see emaciated deer walking near the road.

Not sure of this concept of "fair". I don't hunt, but have many friends who do, they are humane when they hunt and the harvested deer are not wasted.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (11-29-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:33 AM   #19
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
On Bear Island, there are too many deer which is starting to have a detrimental impact on the island. With no natural predators the heard keeps growing. I can't see the island property owners embracing hunting so I think the number of deer will continue to grow.
When the herd gets to an unsustainable level then the state needs to step in and allow PROPER culling, like they have done in the past on long island. People with disabilities, wounded warriors, archery only, etc, etc, I'm sure they could have come up with something better than to just open it up to the public so people with high powered rifles can literally walk up to Bambi and blow them away with their 30-06...No real sportsmen would want to do it this way...

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 09-19-2023 at 10:03 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-21-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 10:03 AM   #20
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I think it's more inhumane to not hunt. Back in the 90's there were so many deer on Long Island that there was not enough food for them. You would see emaciated deer walking near the road.

Not sure of this concept of "fair". I don't hunt, but have many friends who do, they are humane when they hunt and the harvested deer are not wasted.
Agreed...

Dan
Old 09-19-2023, 11:10 AM   #21
Descant

Default Plan?

In the Long Island situation (1996) there was a plan and a hired shooter. Hunt at night when the deer are active, use a silencer to not scare the deer and take several at once, meat goes to homeless, etc. Probably baited to a desired location. Without a plan, one island may still be overstocked and another lose the herd completely.
A special permit was mentioned above. Any details on that? Maybe that's the "plan"?
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-21-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 11:28 AM   #22
Garcia

Quote:
When the herd gets to an unsustainable level then the state needs to step in and allow PROPER culling, like they have done in the past on long island. People with disabilities, wounded warriors, archery only, etc, etc, I'm sure they could have come up with something better than to just open it up to the public so people with high powered rifles can literally walk up to Bambi and blow them away with their 30-06...No real sportsmen would want to do it this way...

Dan
I agree and support the idea. Emotions run high when talking about deer and what to do.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:10 PM   #23
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I have zero interest in hunting myself--like many others, I'm soft when confronted with a beautiful animal. But I agree that if a person is hunting for food and using good practices, that's cool whether it is challenging or not. It's also much more humane than the meat I eat without a second thought
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (11-29-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:51 PM   #24
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In the Long Island situation (1996) there was a plan and a hired shooter...
A special permit was mentioned above. Any details on that? Maybe that's the "plan"?
My understanding is that it was tried one year, but that it wasn't effective enough, and so was not continued. That's when the bow hunting was instituted, and that has been effective. Before the program, the "browse line" of where deer had eaten everything on the ground and as far up as they could reach allowed one to see quite far through the woods, compared to off-island, where one could see just 50-100' into the woods. Now, things have improved dramatically.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:07 PM   #25
SAB1

I have no problem with hunting the islands but it should be archery only. Yes deer multiply quickly and need to be culled to protect the forest. Permission from landowner should be required on private land
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:10 PM   #26
John Mercier

If the landowner legally posts it... then permission is required like any other property in the State.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:15 AM   #27
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post

I took this on Long Island in 2002. The deer would walk right up to your car.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:54 AM   #28
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

i agree. And I cringe when I see all these people feeding them and training them to eat out of their hands.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:50 AM   #29
John Mercier

If they feed them... they stop being wildlife and become livestock.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (11-29-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 06:54 PM   #30
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The deer on islands are not unafraid of humans because they are being fed, they are unafraid because they are forced to live in close proximity and have realized that humans are not a threat to them unlike a coyote or other predatory animal.

Feeding them is certainly a no no also but having an open public hunting season with firearms on them is not right and unsportsmanlike in my opinion…it is also somewhat dangerous.

Forcing islanders to put up thousands of no trespassing / no hunting signs is not the answer and is stupid!

Fish & Game needs to get their head out their ass on this one!

Dan
Beardude (09-23-2023), Descant (09-21-2023), FlyingScot (09-21-2023), Slickcraft (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 07:39 PM   #31
SAB1

It's really population dynamics that factor into this as well. Densitiesneed to monitored. We don't want to see CWD in NH that's for sure. The picture above you can clearly see a browse line in that pic. That is not good for the forest and clearly a sign of over population. Same up behind my house. No hunting on camp Belknap or Northwoods. That is 600 plus acres. I jog by deer sometimes less than 10ft from me and they don't move.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:40 PM   #32
John Mercier

Quote:
The deer on islands are not unafraid of humans because they are being fed, they are unafraid because they are forced to live in close proximity and have realized that humans are not a threat to them unlike a coyote or other predatory animal.

Feeding them is certainly a no no also but having an open public hunting season with firearms on them is not right and unsportsmanlike in my opinion…it is also somewhat dangerous.

Forcing islanders to put up thousands of no trespassing / no hunting signs is not the answer and is stupid!

Dan
The rest of us putting up thousands of no trespassing/no hunting signs don't find it all that intelligent either; but that is a legislative matter.
Old 09-20-2023, 11:06 PM   #33
beantownbaby

Am I the only person who wonders “if we are anchored in an island cove and someone shoots at a deer, misses, is it possible for that bullet to mistakenly hit one of us? “ Bullets travel far and some of the islands are smallish. I’d love reassurance from any hunters in the group that this would not happen. Thanks.
beantownbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 04:58 AM   #34
ApS

Lightbulb Blame Islands with Lots Bereft of Trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
My understanding is that it was tried one year, but that it wasn't effective enough, and so was not continued. That's when the bow hunting was instituted, and that has been effective. Before the program, the "browse line" of where deer had eaten everything on the ground and as far up as they could reach allowed one to see quite far through the woods, compared to off-island, where one could see just 50-100' into the woods. Now, things have improved dramatically.
Couple of thoughts:

1) "Browse lines" exist where trees are cut down, opening up the forest. Most recent wide-scale cuts are for "self-storage" sites and electric "grid". Cutting "nuisance trees", like White Pines, propagates year-round "browse".

2) Overpopulation will occur when only male deer are selected for "harvesting". There will always be other males to contribute to overpopulation. There should be a bounty offered on female deer. Does that make sense?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 05:00 AM   #35
tis

I think it's dangerous on the islands except maybe the biggest ones. What is the law? You can't shoot within 300' of houses?
Old 09-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #36
Patofnaud

Correct.

300 ft from houses and you need to know what is behind your target (yes that includes boats in the cove).
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:08 AM   #37
WinnisquamZ

Isn’t the 300’ for full time residential? Camps and summer homes are excluded. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:31 AM   #38
Susie Cougar

In my opinion, there is no sport in killing any deer that run through your backyard. If the deer population is getting too big, it seems that the right thing to do would be to hire people to thin the herd and then be offered to anyone who needs the meat.
I realize they have tried this before but maybe with a little bit of tweaking, it could work.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:38 AM   #39
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantownbaby View Post
Am I the only person who wonders “if we are anchored in an island cove and someone shoots at a deer, misses, is it possible for that bullet to mistakenly hit one of us? “ Bullets travel far and some of the islands are smallish. I’d love reassurance from any hunters in the group that this would not happen. Thanks.
I can happen. But hunting accidents have been rare and third party victims even more rare.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:40 AM   #40
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
In my opinion, there is no sport in killing any deer that run through your backyard. If the deer population is getting too big, it seems that the right thing to do would be to hire people to thin the herd and then be offered to anyone who needs the meat.
I realize they have tried this before but maybe with a little bit of tweaking, it could work.
The people ''thinning the herd'' would be killing the deer running through your backyard.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #41
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Isn’t the 300’ for full time residential? Camps and summer homes are excluded. Is this correct?

Not always. They may be considered a ''compact zone''
Old 09-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #42
Cobalt 12
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:

Dan
OK, Just so I understand:

No Feeding of deer on an island...

They are NOT forced to stay there, they chose to. They are very good swimmers.

No Killing of deer on a island.. Not sportsmen like, gotcha, " I agree "

Forcing signs to be put up won't do anything, unless an island has a bridge.

Throwing on NH Fish n Game would be a very costly and timely adventure by the State. They care..... But they don't care that much.

If it's bothering the landowners that much on a Island, Hire a Hitman. They can use a 222 caliber with 100% accuracy with ABSOLUTELY NO danger to anyone what so ever, and still dispatch the deer population to where YOU/THEY ( Land Owners ) feel comfortable with the amount of deer left.

I do not ever see NH Fish N Game spending time and effort in this direction. One thing we can agree on is that there are many foodbanks in this area that could use the meat to feed many under privileged human beings in the area that could use a hot meal during the cold season.

I've hunted deer for 60 years. Deer are Deer. Life cycle maybe 8 years for a smart one. Yes they are pretty to watch, but where do you draw the line?

I wouldn't look for NH Fish N Game to deal with this. Other then to give you permission to hire someone to dwiddle the herd so to speak. Good Luck with your endeavors, and just remember........................

Shoot straight and don't shoot often. 300 Savage/Remington 30-06/Marlin 35, Springfield 270, Winchester 30-30 probably 4. To many to count. Just if you do, dispatch them cleanly and quickly.

Last edited by Cobalt 12; 09-21-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Cobalt 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #43
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Separate from whether it is sporting, why would you pay a person to do a job if another person would happily do the same job for free?
Old 09-21-2023, 03:16 PM   #44
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Separate from whether it is sporting, why would you pay a person to do a job if another person would happily do the same job for free?
Dependability

Accuracy

Common Sense

Structured

Professionalism

Vs Sure I can do it !

You pay a Professional you will get Professional results. They come with a resume which you can check if you like. Listen to others that have used their service for the exact reason you need them.

VS

Yeh, I'm a good shot, why do you ask?

It seems some people want the answer but don't want to listen to it. I'll step out now, good luck to everyone that is having this problem.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:31 PM   #45
ishoot308

See below in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 View Post
OK, Just so I understand:

No Feeding of deer on an island...No feeding of deer anywhere not just on an island

They are NOT forced to stay there, they chose to. They are very good swimmers. Yes they can swim but prefer not to. During the winter months when ice fishing, I have seen and counted .as many as 28 deer all together running across the ice being chased by a coyote

No Killing of deer on a island.. Not sportsmen like, gotcha, " I agree "

Forcing signs to be put up won't do anything, unless an island has a bridge. The problem with putting signs up is two fold...For the most part the perimeter of most islands is sold as lots with varying degrees of water frontage, therefore the entire perimeter of the island would have to have signs put up every 100 yds (wouldn't that look nice around the lake?) Now the center mass of the island is usually owned by one two or a few more landowners. If one of the perimeter lot owners does not post his land that means in theory access could be had to the islands center mass. This means another encapsulating set of signs must be placed around the interior of the island which is just ridiculous in my opinion!

Throwing on NH Fish n Game would be a very costly and timely adventure by the State. They care..... But they don't care that much. Nothing was broke, there was no need to change any laws in my opinion.

If it's bothering the landowners that much on a Island, Hire a Hitman. I don't get where anyone said it was bothering them...the rule changes are bothersome not the deer! They can use a 222 caliber with 100% accuracy with Little or NO danger Hmmm....a .222 is just as deadly as any other rifle, not sure what you mean by this?? I wouldn't want to play goalie in front of a .222to anyone what so ever, and still dispatch the deer population to where YOU/THEY ( Land Owners ) feel comfortable with the amount of deer left. I never said there were too many deer on my island Welch...as a matter of fact I do not believe there are... as I stated previously, based on my cameras during the "yard up" months I have counted a max of 10 deer on Welch. These deer do leave the island if and when the ice freezes as they are chased off by predators. Whatever is left after the ice thaws usually stays all summer. I do know Long Island and Governors island had issues in the past and permits were granted at some point to cull the deer as necessary. This worked for many years why are they trying to fix something that isn't broken and by changing / fixing and making new laws they are making things worse!

I do not ever see NH Fish N Game spending time and effort in this direction. One thing we can agree on is that there are many foodbanks in this area that could use the meat to feed many under privileged human beings in the area that could use a hot meal during the cold season. agreed!

I've hunted deer for 60 years. You have 10 years on me! Deer are Deer. Life cycle maybe 8 years for a smart one. Yes they are pretty to watch, but where do you draw the line? No line to draw, leave things as they were...

I wouldn't look for NH Fish N Game to deal with this. Other then to give you permission to hire someone to dwiddle the herd so to speak. Good Luck with your endeavors, and just remember........................ I don't want to change anything!...I just want them to leave it the way it was! The individual towns around the lake will probably now have to come up with their own ordinance regarding hunting on the islands just like Long island and Governors island have their own town ordinance regarding this

Shoot straight and don't shoot often. 300 Savage/Remington 30-06/Marlin 35, Springfield 270, Winchester 30-30 probably 4. To many to count. Just if you do, dispatch them cleanly and quickly.
Dan
ApS (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 03:49 PM   #46
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:
See below in red

Dan
Taking this a little personally aren't ya there partner. This was not directed to you, but seems you feel it was. I stand behind what I said.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:54 PM   #47
ishoot308

Quote:
Taking this a little personally aren't ya there partner. This was not directed to you, but seems you feel it was. I stand behind what I said.
No not all... just responding to questions you quoted from my previous post.

Its all good..."partner"!

Dan
Old 09-21-2023, 07:36 PM   #48
John Mercier

Ahhh... but you fail to understand that no laws were changed.

F&G is getting hit for allowing certain landowners to be ''special'' when it comes to speaking before a legislative committee on the current posting requirements.
So their ''rule making'' is once again in question.

I think you will see the purple paint ''No Hunting'' movement get another shot.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:39 PM   #49
SAB1

Talking

Some interesting comments here. I'll first say I am a deer hunter of 30 years, primarily archery. Access to new land is always good. I am surprised though that this is not an archery only application from F&G for safety sake. If I was an island home owner on Winni I'd probably have my hackles up as well and hope for sure folks adhered to the 300ft law. How many islands on Winni are actually huntable with the 300 ft law, especially if multiple hunters were on the island? Doesn't seem like many. Everyone is different but personally I don't see myself getting up at 4am loading my gear into my truck, unloading it into a boat, driving a boat across the lake in 20 degree weather (to tie my boat up where?) Then trudging into a legal spot and possibly running into others hunters. No interest here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (09-22-2023), upthesaukee (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 11:00 PM   #50
John Mercier

Muzzle loader is end of October, and rifle is about two weeks later.

I don't think they expect a lot of hunting on the islands.

They just keep taking hits on their rule making.
And what is worse, are always underfunded.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:11 AM   #51
rhubarbpie

Island owner here and learned about this just the other day. Will certainly post no hunting signs but to keep hunters off that will also require 60 other residents and the couple owners of the inland portion to post extensively. It’s also very late in the season to implement this rule and provide landowners the time to post.

Do we know what prompted this rule change? Why there wasn’t notice to landowners? Is there any way to reverse it?

It does seem like an epic pain in the butt to go hunt an island, especially during rifle season, but we had an incident many years ago where a couple of our friendly island doe were killed in a very unsportsmanlike manner, for no apparent reason other than to kill things, so I don’t put anything past people at this point.
rhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 11:46 AM   #52
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
Island owner here and learned about this just the other day. Will certainly post no hunting signs but to keep hunters off that will also require 60 other residents and the couple owners of the inland portion to post extensively. It’s also very late in the season to implement this rule and provide landowners the time to post.

Do we know what prompted this rule change? Why there wasn’t notice to landowners? Is there any way to reverse it?

It does seem like an epic pain in the butt to go hunt an island, especially during rifle season, but we had an incident many years ago where a couple of our friendly island doe were killed in a very unsportsmanlike manner, for no apparent reason other than to kill things, so I don’t put anything past people at this point.
Was it from " Hunters " or just some people not appreciating wildlife? I just don't know any " Hunters " that just go out to " KILL THINGS ". I would hate to have everyone lumped into one circle..
Old 09-23-2023, 02:45 PM   #53
John Mercier

Notice was given on March 9th.
Public hearings were on March 30th, April 4th, and April 5th.

Our area generally goes to F&G headquarters for the hearings. Those were on March 30th.

The ''rule'' generally isn't likely to be turned back.
Few incidents with the current restrictions involving unintended targets have ever been recorded.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:34 PM   #54
rhubarbpie

Quote:
Notice was given on March 9th.
Public hearings were on March 30th, April 4th, and April 5th.

Our area generally goes to F&G headquarters for the hearings. Those were on March 30th.

The ''rule'' generally isn't likely to be turned back.
Few incidents with the current restrictions involving unintended targets have ever been recorded.
Gotcha. Unfortunately we never received notice, and it's not something we would have been looking out for, because in my lifetime it's never been a concern.

I'm still unclear on what the rationale was for changing to allow hunting on the islands, other than "overpopulation" which certainly isn't the case on ours.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:54 PM   #55
Beardude

Quote:

Some of us stay in our "summer homes" on an island during hunting season, I would hope the 300' rule would apply. I doubt a hunter is going look for a boat at the dock to see if I'm home while hunting the interior of the island. This is not good, at least restrict it to archery only. The house should stop an arrow.
Beardude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beardude For This Useful Post:
rhubarbpie (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 07:27 AM   #56
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardude View Post
Some of us stay in our "summer homes" on an island during hunting season, I would hope the 300' rule would apply. I doubt a hunter is going look for a boat at the dock to see if I'm home while hunting the interior of the island. This is not good, at least restrict it to archery only. The house should stop an arrow.
Post the neighborhood
Old 09-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #57
rhubarbpie

Quote:
Not to mention that you aren't going to be in the cabin 24/7. It also makes it unsafe to walk the interior trails for those of us who are out there later in the season, unsafe for dogs to be roaming as they normally do, etc.

When I lived on acreage back in the 90s/2000s, our property was extensively posted no hunting/no trespassing. Never seemed to stop hunters or hikers from popping through the woods into our backyard on a surprisingly frequent basis.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhubarbpie For This Useful Post:
Beardude (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 10:54 AM   #58
John Mercier

Then they were trespassing.
But the argument that island property owners should not be treated like the mainland 'peasants' isn't going to work.

People walk through the woods on the mainland, and they also have dogs, children, etc.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:32 PM   #59
rhubarbpie

Quote:
Then they were trespassing.
But the argument that island property owners should not be treated like the mainland 'peasants' isn't going to work.
I don't think that's the argument at all. I think the argument is more that:

-many islands are small and round-ish so any direction you shoot will essentially be towards camps/cabins/possibly also people that are within a very short distance, given how far a round from a hunting rifle can travel
-the herd is essentially landlocked and also pretty tame around humans so it's not terribly sporting or fair to the animals
-the only real way to access as noted above would be through docking at people's private docks while cabins are vacant - does the default "you allow access for hunting unless otherwise posted" extend to use of the dock for said access? That opens up the possibility for property damage as well as liability, even though you've not explicitly provided permission for the use.

Quote:
People walk through the woods on the mainland, and they also have dogs, children, etc.
We absolutely positively do not go into the woods or near the treeline during hunting season. Our friends with horses do not turn them out in the pastures closest to the treelines during hunting season.

You seem to think that hunters are without fault, hit their target every time and follow all the rules so everything is hunky dory and no need to worry about stray bullets or someone accidentally shooting at a person/dog/etc. It's just not the case. While there are not a lot of accidental hunting deaths/injuries or property damage, the number is also not zero.
The Following User Says Thank You to rhubarbpie For This Useful Post:
Beardude (09-26-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 11:09 AM   #60
John Mercier

The 300' rule applies.
The fact that they are ''tame'' is an issue... but exactly the opposite of what you want to believe. Tame wildlife should not exist.

The access to the dock may be a landowner that intends to hunt the island, or has given their permission to use their dock.

The current laws in place cover all contingencies, the same as it does for the mainland.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:14 PM   #61
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
I don't think that's the argument at all. I think the argument is more that:

-many islands are small and round-ish so any direction you shoot will essentially be towards camps/cabins/possibly also people that are within a very short distance, given how far a round from a hunting rifle can travel
-the herd is essentially landlocked and also pretty tame around humans so it's not terribly sporting or fair to the animals
-the only real way to access as noted above would be through docking at people's private docks while cabins are vacant - does the default "you allow access for hunting unless otherwise posted" extend to use of the dock for said access? That opens up the possibility for property damage as well as liability, even though you've not explicitly provided permission for the use.

We absolutely positively do not go into the woods or near the treeline during hunting season. Our friends with horses do not turn them out in the pastures closest to the treelines during hunting season.

You seem to think that hunters are without fault, hit their target every time and follow all the rules so everything is hunky dory and no need to worry about stray bullets or someone accidentally shooting at a person/dog/etc. It's just not the case. While there are not a lot of accidental hunting deaths/injuries or property damage, the number is also not zero.
In New Hampshire, it is illegal to discharge a firearm or shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission from the (1) dwelling's owner or occupant or (2) owner of the land on which the person is situated (N.H. Rev. Stat.

Your 1st part you where talking about an ISLAND. Your 2nd part sounded like you were referring to Mainland property. The LAW of NH is the same.

......................300 feet ..... That's twice as far as you should be from any boat traffic on the lake. Walk out on your property and measure 300 feet. Might give you a different perspective.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #62
Beardude

Quote:
In New Hampshire, it is illegal to discharge a firearm or shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission from the (1) dwelling's owner or occupant or (2) owner of the land on which the person is situated (N.H. Rev. Stat.

Your 1st part you where talking about an ISLAND. Your 2nd part sounded like you were referring to Mainland property. The LAW of NH is the same.

......................300 feet ..... That's twice as far as you should be from any boat traffic on the lake. Walk out on your property and measure 300 feet. Might give you a different perspective.
300 feet is not far at all. Would you hunt with a rifle behind a densely populated mainland subdivision?
Old 09-27-2023, 05:50 AM   #63
ApS

Question Maybe, We Should Just Drive Faster?

Quote:
Notice was given on March 9th. Public hearings were on March 30th, April 4th, and April 5th. Our area generally goes to F&G headquarters for the hearings. Those were on March 30th. The ''rule'' generally isn't likely to be turned back. Few incidents with the current restrictions involving unintended targets have ever been recorded.
That's good.

In the past, there seemed to be many reports of "accidental shootings". (Usually out-of-state hunters shooting other hunters).

Regarding islands, where are these "harvested" deer gutted-out?

My neighbor can tell you. (Under high-water conditions, Wolfeboro Neck becomes an island). Over 100 acres of Wolfeboro Neck is posted against hunting, but guess who maintains a tree stand in the middle of that acreage?

A tenant's kid handed me a bone cut-through with saw marks. It was found in shallow water--under my dock.

On a walk with a Wolfeboro friend, I asked my companion, "This is a tiny State Park with lots of markings of antlered deer, but where are the deer?" She answered, "Look behind you". So that I wouldn't be contributing to the delinquency of deer, I'd carried a banana peel in my back pocket. Five deer were following me!
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
DotRat (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #64
John Mercier

I can't speak for all hunters, but they tend to gut almost immediately.
The guts will decompose.

I doubt that other than domesticate dogs off their leash, that anyone will notice.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:00 PM   #65
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:
300 feet is not far at all. Would you hunt with a rifle behind a densely populated mainland subdivision?

Why are you just looking for a fight on here? Using COMMON SENSE goes a long way.

Let me ask you a question. How many times have you come within 150 of a boat on the lake at greater then headway speed this past summer? You can round it by the Hundred's if you would like. Every single time, you could have caused an accident injuring many people.

I'm out on this conversation. You will never except anything but your version. Enjoy !!

Last edited by Cobalt 12; 09-27-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:44 PM   #66
WinnisquamZ

Believe all of J2 is shotguns no rifles. I know Laconia is shotguns only. This is due to population

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:34 PM   #67
ishoot308

Quote:
Believe all of J2 is shotguns no rifles. I know Laconia is shotguns only. This is due to population

Laconia allows the use of lever action carbine rifles and many handguns in calibers stated in the regulations book. Almost every other town around the lake, any caliber rifle is allowed...I believe.

https://www.eregulations.com/newhamp...ng-regulations

Dan
Old 09-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #68
ITD

I haven't heard any gunshots since the season started, usually I hear a few.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:20 PM   #69
Beardude

Quote:
Why are you just looking for a fight on here? Using COMMON SENSE goes a long way.

Let me ask you a question. How many times have you come within 150 of a boat on the lake at greater then headway speed this past summer? You can round it by the Hundred's if you would like. Every single time, you could have caused an accident injuring many people.

I'm out on this conversation. You will never except anything but your version. Enjoy !!
I'm not looking for a fight at all. I have no idea how you can compare boating safety with hunting safety. All I've said is that I don't think it's safe to hunt with rifles on islands. (I have a NH hunting license, by the way) I understand the need to thin the herd, as many have said, archery would be a way. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Beardude; 09-27-2023 at 05:54 PM. Reason: errors
Old 09-27-2023, 06:41 PM   #70
John Mercier

But what you are suggesting one again - ''Island property owners are a special class, entitled to different standards''.

The facts are that if the hunting regulations work elsewhere... then they will also work on an island.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:58 PM   #71
John Mercier

Quote:

Though he states he is a hunter... he seems to be implying that hunters would stand back 100 yards and shoot toward a dwelling.
I have never seen that done, as hitting the building would still incur charges.
The last time an errant hunter obeying for the best part all of the rules hit a person was about six years ago. That incurs a criminal charge regardless of the situation... if the hunter shows negligence, one can only guess if they would ever be able to legally hunt again.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #72
Beardude

Quote:
Though he states he is a hunter... he seems to be implying that hunters would stand back 100 yards and shoot toward a dwelling.
I have never seen that done, as hitting the building would still incur charges.
The last time an errant hunter obeying for the best part all of the rules hit a person was about six years ago. That incurs a criminal charge regardless of the situation... if the hunter shows negligence, one can only guess if they would ever be able to legally hunt again.
I can understand your stance that hunting rules should, and now apparently do, apply to all NH land unless posted. While I don't consider islanders to be elitists, the lay of the land is different out here as mentioned before. I'm not implying that any hunter would intentionally shoot towards a dwelling, even if it was further than 100 yards. Accidents do happen, albeit rarely. There's really only a couple of non bridged islands big enough to hunt, the rest are basically subdivisions. I think I'm beating a dead horse (deer) here.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:46 AM   #73
steve-on-mark

Whatever you do, don't hit the damn propane tanks!!

Old 09-28-2023, 08:11 AM   #74
tis

That would be too close to the house.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #75
John Mercier

Quote:
I can understand your stance that hunting rules should, and now apparently do, apply to all NH land unless posted. While I don't consider islanders to be elitists, the lay of the land is different out here as mentioned before. I'm not implying that any hunter would intentionally shoot towards a dwelling, even if it was further than 100 yards. Accidents do happen, albeit rarely. There's really only a couple of non bridged islands big enough to hunt, the rest are basically subdivisions. I think I'm beating a dead horse (deer) here.
And the 300' rule, compact zone, and legal posting regulations covers all that. F&G would not have changed the rule if serious objections had been made.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:58 AM   #76
swnoel

If one doesn't want anyone hunting on their property they can post it so. It's also important to remember doing this will make you responsible for damages, not F&G or the town. The damage that's done by unmanaged deer is extreme. I can remember being on Long Island was shocked ... no vegetation existed from 6 feet to the ground. Course many people would rather see them die of starvation or disease than managed. Too bad ignorance has remained with so many...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
SAB1 (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 06:05 PM   #77
John Mercier

Even when we do allow hunting... F&G nor the town covers the cost of damages.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:33 AM   #78
pondguy

This is in todays Laconia Daily Sun https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...2eee8ab09.html I'm out.

Last edited by pondguy; 09-30-2023 at 05:44 AM.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pondguy For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 05:12 AM   #79
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Though I'm slightly concerned about the danger of hunting on close(r) quarters (both for human and residential damage), I'm more concerned about the potential perception about access to what is almost certainly all private land.

I hope this doesn't cause trouble for Island property owners, their docks, etc. Especially since rifle hunting season doesn't begin until November 6th, when many residents may no longer be around or around only periodically.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:31 AM   #80
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

From the Laconia Sun:

Some island residents have already reported seeing hunters on the islands, as bowhunting season started on Sept. 15. Muzzleloader season will begin Oct. 28 for much of the state, and firearm season will open on Nov. 8 for the majority of the state’s Wildlife Management Units.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...2eee8ab09.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 06:21 AM   #81
ApS

Talking Downstate Herd, Close to the Border...

Quote:
Remember the farmer who used huge letters to paint COW on the sides of his dairy herd?

Old 09-30-2023, 12:11 PM   #82
Descant

From the LDS article posted above: "Timmins said the department held three well-attended public sessions on the proposed rule changes — in Concord, Keene and Lancaster — and no significant opposition was voiced."

How many islands with deer herds are in Concord, Keene and Lancaster?

This reminds me of times past when Dept. of Safety used to hold boating related hearings in the off season when summer boaters weren't around. The legislature re-wrote the hearing standards to get them set better in time and place.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #83
Descant

Default Driving deer?

Am I correct that driving deer is illegal? Easy for a handful of hunters to start at one end of an island and proceed to the other end, forcing deer into limited spaces.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:37 PM   #84
John Mercier

The three meeting locations are the same ones used for all F&G issues.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #85
SAB1

I've heard archers are doing well. Few nice bucks have come off the islands.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
granitebox (09-30-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 10:32 AM   #86
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I've heard archers are doing well. Few nice bucks have come off the islands.
Source? Which islands?
Old 11-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #87
Steve 58

Several have been taken on Cow by bow.
The hunters are very responsible from what i have observed.
Steve 58 is offline   Reply With Quote