Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default paving Mt Washington auto road

http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/a...-top-to-bottom

Price to drive yourself: car & driver, reg-$39, peak-$45

adult passenger: reg-$14, peak-$20

child passenger (ages 5-12): $9

motorcycle & operator: $25, motorcycle passenger - $20

..... for people who are too danged lazy to walk up Mt Washington on a hiking trail.

File this new Mt Washington road paving under ... www.youtube.com/watch?v=94bdMSCdw20 ......'Pave paradise and put up a parking lot' by Joni Mitchell

'This Car Climbed Mt Washington' .... bumper sticker ...... is forever after, NO big deal.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-28-2022 at 06:35 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
coltgov101 (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

I would never drive up to the Mt. Washington summit mainly due to the wear and tear on the vehicle when going down.

Does anyone know the current fares on the Cog Railway to the Summit, and how often they run? Is a reservation required?

Does the United States Postal Service still have an retail stamp window at the top of the Summit?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
I would never drive up to the Mt. Washington summit mainly due to the wear and tear on the vehicle when going down.

Does anyone know the current fares on the Cog Railway to the Summit, and how often they run? Is a reservation required?

Does the United States Postal Service still have an retail stamp window at the top of the Summit?
Here you go: Been up many times, great experience

https://www.thecog.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (05-29-2022), WinnisquamZ (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Here you go: Been up many times, great experience

https://www.thecog.com/

Agree. First time is a thrill

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We drove up on the Harley in June 2002, the first annual MC week ride to the sky. It was bikes only that day. No real wear on the bike going back down, first gear for much of the way down so I did not have to use the brakes much. There was, however, some wear on my nerves going down.

We did hike up once on the Tuck Ravine trail and we have hiked up to Lake of the Clouds from the west side. Also, up Jefferson from the west side.

Now that the Harley has been replaced with a Miata and the road is paved all the way, we may consider the drive up some day. I avoid gravel with the low ground clearance. It is a 6-speed stick so I can run low gears on the way back down.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
fatlazyless

.... hiking the A.T. up and along that rocky trail, over the presidentials, Mt Webster, Mt Jackson, Mizpah Spring Hut, Mt Pierce, Lakes of the Clouds Hut, Mt Washington, Madison Spring Hut, Mt Madison .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpBbhjDLJuE .... 14:02 .... thru hiker, 41-year old Lisa P. from Texas; July 28, 2021, hikes her day #140, going north along the Appalachian Trail.

Mt Washington: "You can get up here three ways ......... by car ........ by train ....... or ....... these things right here! .. (pans camera down her feet)."

"I ..... mean you can't mess with A.T. tradition ..... after all, right." ..... mooning The Cog railroad from a distance ..... ha-ha-ha! ....

"And holy cow, I'm freezing!" ...... 7/28/21, 2-pm(?); temp hi-40's & windy

"It's like I'm on another planet, up here."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-03-2022 at 06:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
pam.in.ny (05-30-2022), Slickcraft (05-30-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 02:48 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Van?

Isn't there also a van service that you can ride up with 12-15 passengers?

I think cars are a lot better these days, disc brakes instead of drums, multi-speed auto transmissions, better cooling, etc. The Auto Road company patrols about every 15 minutes with service trucks if you need assistance. I have a friend who once stopped to take pictures. The wife closed/locked the door when she got out, with the keys inside. Auto Road truck came by in just a few minutes, and they were on their way again.
We love the Mt Washington Hotel, so last time we went we stayed overnight to get the first train up, a real steam engine. I think there was a discount for hotel guests.
If you're a member of the Mt Washington Observatory, I think there are some other perks, including private tours of the weather station.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
Janet

Default Weight Restriction for Driving Up Mount Washington

This is something to keep in mind if you plan to drive yourself up the mountain. The below statement was taken from their website. Our family of 7 found this out on our last visit. Seems like 900 lbs is a lot, but 900 lbs divided by 7 and each person could not be more than 128 lbs.

"We have weight restrictions for an automobile—you can NOT have over 900 lbs of interior weight inside a vehicle. Tested over and over again, we have found that anything over that limit, the weight is too much for a transmission to hold back the vehicle on the steep grades. It can cause you to use your brakes too much, which will lead to overheated brakes, or worse. Please keep the interior weight of the car in check".
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-01-2022), FlyingScot (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Tested over and over again, we have found that anything over that limit, the weight is too much for a transmission to hold back the vehicle on the steep grades. It can cause you to use your brakes too much, which will lead to overheated brakes, or worse.
How's about my 2014 Subaru with a 5-speed manual transmission and a clutch pedal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQTx-yR-7F0 .... Aug 16, 2021, Travis Pastrana's record hill climb run ..... 5-minutes, 28.67-seconds going UP Mt Washington in a Subaru WRX with a stick shift transmission

Wonder how good or bad my 5-speed manual Subaru will actually perform on the 7.6 miles long Mt Wash Auto Rd DOWNHILL drive which descends 4,618-feet with an average downhill gradient of 11.6% with regard to brakes and manual tranny, NEVER letting the revs go over 3200-rpm.

The uphill is probably much easier on the car than the downhill?

"Pave Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot" ....... paving the un-paved "5-mile" section, way up top, somewhere ....... "It's the end of an era" ..... Nat Putnam, 40-year employee who works on the Mt Washington Auto Rd, operates a John Deere front end loader, keeping the dirt road section in good shape. ..... and, paving this here mountain road ....... here, up-up-up on the mountain ....... paving THIS is progress? ...

https://www.facebook.com/mtwashingto...57359866960718 ...... over 200 different b&w and color photos

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-02-2022 at 08:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
How's about my 2014 Subaru with a 5-speed manual transmission and a clutch pedal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQTx-yR-7F0 .... Aug 16, 2021, Travis Pastrana's record hill climb run ..... 5-minutes, 28.67-seconds going UP Mt Washington in a Subaru WRX with a stick shift transmission

Wonder how good or bad my 5-speed manual Subaru will actually perform on the 7.6 miles long Mt Wash Auto Rd DOWNHILL drive which descends 4,618-feet with an average downhill gradient of 11.6% with regard to brakes and manual tranny, NEVER letting the revs go over 3200-rpm.

The uphill is probably much easier on the car than the downhill?

"Pave Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot" ....... paving the un-paved "5-mile" section, way up top, somewhere ....... "It's the end of an era" ..... Nat Putnam, 40-years working on the Mt Washington Auto Rd

https://www.facebook.com/mtwashingto...57359866960718 ...... over 200 different b&w and color photos

For those that haven’t seen this video, please give it 5 minutes. Amazing feat

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
For those that haven’t seen this video, please give it 5 minutes. Amazing feat

Agree.

Alan
Old 06-01-2022, 07:29 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

There re two great videos on YouTube, one (I think from 2014 and the other from 2017) one team and one solo. Both record setters. Amazing driving and amazing cars.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #13
8gv

I'm pretty sure I could beat Travis... going down the mountain.

After I have lost it on the first turn gravity will take over and get me to the bottom quite fast!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:50 AM   #14
Slickcraft

It started in 1899:
https://www.newenglandhistoricalsoci...mt-washington/

Alan
Old 06-02-2022, 06:10 AM   #15
garysanfran

Amazing drive.

There's a group of young drivers doing all sorts of amazing things like that drive up Mt. Washington. I know this is not directly connected to the Lakes Region, but I thought I'd entertain the Forum with a 650 HP Ford Fiesta driven by Ken Block through San Francisco. The City was closed off for this including the Bay Bridge. This car went past my neighborhood, at one point. Travis Pastrana drives the car up Mt. Washington and he drives the motorcycle in this video. I understand if this gets removed...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4606&FORM=VIRE
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
pondguy (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 07:38 AM   #16
fatlazyless

www.mt-washington.com/drive-yourself ........ ok, so what is the posted speed limit for driving it, downhill?

#8-item in their "Planning Your Trip - 7 Steps to Drive to the Clouds" says to use your lowest gear ("1", "L" or "L!") but it doesn't say what's the speed limit?

No doubt, the speed limit must be posted on signs along the road .......... correct-a-mundo?

Anyone know WHAT is the downhill and uphill speed limit on the Mt Washington Auto Rd because it does NOT say in their website? ...

Is there a speed limit?

Did a little reserach with Google and according to www.grandsummitattitash.com, the Auto Rd speed limit is 15-mph.

"Mt Washington Auto Rd; most vehicles make the 7.6-mile ascent in about 30 minutes one-way, 30 to 45 minutes back down depending on traffic, weather conditions and whether or not you need to make any stops. Because the Auto Road is steep and narrow without guardrails, the average speed limit is 15 MPH."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-03-2022 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:19 PM   #17
Mr. V

Various vehicle types and brands are prohibited as well.

From the MWAR website:

__________________________________________________ ________________

"SOME VEHICLES CANNOT BE PERMITTED ON THE AUTO ROAD

Jaguar, Saturn and Sterling autos with automatic transmissions must show a “1” or “L” or “S” on the shifter to be allowed on the Auto Road. Transmissions showing an “S” must demonstrate that this shifter will allow the transmission to be locked into 1st gear.
Model year 2009 and earlier Honda and Acura vehicles must meet the same requirements as described above.
Model year 2010 and later Honda and Acura vehicles are all allowed regardless of transmission type.
Some former police cars and taxis have the 1st gear locked out and cannot be allowed on the road.
No trailers, RV’s, campers or vans converted to RV’s.
No mopeds or scooters.
No dual wheeled vehicles.
No bicycles.
ATVs or UTVs are allowed on set days."