Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Boat Wraps

Thinking of getting the boat wrapped, Could I have some recommendations on who does it? Also any Pros and Cons.

Please keep to subject at hand

thank you
Old 07-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Cal Coon

Berube's (truck parts) in Bow does wraps. Not sure if they do boats, but if you do wraps, you should be able to wrap anything, right?? They do awesome work. I have seen some incredible wraps they have done (on trucks).
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
CooperS7777

Jake Benedict at New School Vinyl in Franklin does an amazing job. 603-455-9850

This will be the third season with the hull sides wrapped on my boat (solid color, not a printed wrap). The boat looks like it has an amazing paint job from ~10' away. As you get closer you still cannot tell its a vinyl wrap, but it does lack the depth and gloss a true painted hull would have.

As far as maintenance goes, vinyl is very easy. I was the boat with typical hull soap and a soft brush a few times a season, and in the interim I use a product called Quickie Sauce (you can pick this up at Supreme Marine) to clean everything up. Spray the hull sides down 2-3' at a time, wipe with a clean micro fiber, and then bite off another 2-3' section.

My boat sits on a lift at my house, so I cant speak to how well the wrap would hold up on something that is in the water all season, but I have had no issues with the parts of the wrap that are often in the water (at idle, at the sand bar, docked up for lunch / dinner etc.). I have also had no issues with damage to the wrap from docks / fenders / other boats while rafted up. I just take the same precautions as you would with any boat, ensure the fenders are placed appropriately and carry on with life.

The one part of my wrap I have had troubles with is the bow. Specifically where it sits on the bow stop on my trailer. We have taken it out of state a few times for poker runs, and during the transit, the small movement between the bow stop and wrap has caused some damage to the wrap. Its not the end of the world, and its a relatively easy fix if you have some spare vinyl material...but if you were trailering the boat regularly it may be more of a consideration.

In the long run I do plan on painting my boat, however at roughly 1/8th of the cost, the vinyl wrap is a perfect solution to clean the boat up and give it a great look in the interim.
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperS7777 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (03-31-2021), BroadHopper (04-01-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS7777 View Post
Jake Benedict at New School Vinyl in Franklin does an amazing job. 603-455-9850

This will be the third season with the hull sides wrapped on my boat (solid color, not a printed wrap). The boat looks like it has an amazing paint job from ~10' away. As you get closer you still cannot tell its a vinyl wrap, but it does lack the depth and gloss a true painted hull would have.

As far as maintenance goes, vinyl is very easy. I was the boat with typical hull soap and a soft brush a few times a season, and in the interim I use a product called Quickie Sauce (you can pick this up at Supreme Marine) to clean everything up. Spray the hull sides down 2-3' at a time, wipe with a clean micro fiber, and then bite off another 2-3' section.

My boat sits on a lift at my house, so I cant speak to how well the wrap would hold up on something that is in the water all season, but I have had no issues with the parts of the wrap that are often in the water (at idle, at the sand bar, docked up for lunch / dinner etc.). I have also had no issues with damage to the wrap from docks / fenders / other boats while rafted up. I just take the same precautions as you would with any boat, ensure the fenders are placed appropriately and carry on with life.

The one part of my wrap I have had troubles with is the bow. Specifically where it sits on the bow stop on my trailer. We have taken it out of state a few times for poker runs, and during the transit, the small movement between the bow stop and wrap has caused some damage to the wrap. Its not the end of the world, and its a relatively easy fix if you have some spare vinyl material...but if you were trailering the boat regularly it may be more of a consideration.

In the long run I do plan on painting my boat, however at roughly 1/8th of the cost, the vinyl wrap is a perfect solution to clean the boat up and give it a great look in the interim.
sent you a PM
Old 03-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Ceramic coating?

If you're just trying to make an old boat look new, as opposed to artistic graphics, you might consider Ceramic Coating. Diamondshine in Gilford did my 1994 Sea Ray last year and it looks better than showroom new. They detailed the rest of the boat inside and out, all as one package. 293-0378. I think it was ~$125 per linear foot. The boat lives in valet, so I expect it to maintain this look for many years. The boats that look so great at the NE Boat Show in Boston? Dealers hire Diamondshine to go down there and clean them up after the transport. There's another thread about this maybe 18 months ago.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If you're just trying to make an old boat look new, as opposed to artistic graphics, you might consider Ceramic Coating. Diamondshine in Gilford did my 1994 Sea Ray last year and it looks better than showroom new. They detailed the rest of the boat inside and out, all as one package. 293-0378. I think it was ~$125 per linear foot. The boat lives in valet, so I expect it to maintain this look for many years. The boats that look so great at the NE Boat Show in Boston? Dealers hire Diamondshine to go down there and clean them up after the transport. There's another thread about this maybe 18 months ago.
I've thought about it for a while, but at the price of $2.5k-$3k cost was a little high for myself. I am about 3-4 weeks away from doing a wet sand and buff myself for the first time with instruction from a friend, but just want to finalize any other options out there, boat is also pretty much in the sun all day on the dock except for early morning.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I would think that if you use that wrap care must be taken if the bottom is acid washed to get all the crud off under the water line.

That acid wash also takes it's toll on ceramic coatings too.

Something to think about if your boat stays in the water all season long.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I would think that if you use that wrap care must be taken if the bottom is acid washed to get all the crud off under the water line.

That acid wash also takes it's toll on ceramic coatings too.

Something to think about if your boat stays in the water all season long.
Right. No chemicals when washing the boat, but I do have a spray to be used after a water rinse, and then wipe down with micro fiber cloth.
I think, if I got some dock rash, the ceramic can be spot repaired. Don't know what to do about rash on a wrap.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote