Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
BobbyA

Default Teenage girl rescued from capisized kayak

This was not a very BRIGHT thing to do,,,,,considering the weather and water conditions. She`s lucky to be alive.

http://www.wmur.com/news/teenage-gir...aukee/38844794
BobbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
ronc4424

Default Can you believe this?

WOLFEBORO — Members of the New Hampshire State Police Marine Patrol rescued a 17-year-old female whose kayak capsized due to high winds on Lake Winnipesaukee on Sunday.

Around 11:17 a.m. Sunday, New Hampshire State Police received a 911 call reporting an overturned kayak with someone in the water near Jockey Cove in Wolfeboro. Upon arrival, members of the Marine Patrol reported finding individuals who were paddling in separate kayaks when one capsized due to high winds.

Marine Patrol officers pulled the 17-year-old female kayaker from the 45-degree water. They reported the girl was conscious and told rescuers she could not feel her extremities. The victim, whose name was not released, was wrapped in blankets and transported to shore, placed in an ambulance and transported to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro for treatment of possible hypothermia.

Marine Patrol officers determined neither kayaker was equipped with a personal flotation device as mandated by state law.

Marine Patrol officers were assisted at the scene by members of the Wolfeboro Police Department, Wolfeboro Fire and Rescue, the Tuftonboro Fire Department and Stewart’s Ambulance. The incident remains under investigation.
- See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/Kayaker-1....nt10uKlu.dpuf
Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Already listed

This story was previously listed in the thread "A Cold One Today"
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Old Sarge

Default Teen rescued from frigid waters by MP!

By From Staff Reports
news@fosters.com

Posted Apr 3, 2016 at 5:18 PM
Updated at 1:32 PM

WOLFEBORO — New Hampshire State Police Marine Patrol responded to a capsized kayak on Lake Winnipesaukee late Sunday morning to rescue a 17-year-old female in frigid waters.

Two individuals in separate kayaks were on Jockey Cove at around 11:17 a.m. Sunday when one of the kayaks capsized due to high winds, according to a statement released by State Police. The Marine Patrol unit was on routine patrol in the area at the time and pulled the 17-year-old female from the frigid 45 degree water.

“The victim was conscious and stated that she could not feel her extremities,” State Police said in the statement. “She was wrapped in blankets and transported to shore to a waiting ambulance. The victim was transported to Huggins Hospital (in Wolfeboro) for treatment of possible hypothermia.”

State Police did not release the victim’s name.

Neither kayaker was equipped with a personal floatation device, according to NH State Police. State law mandates that all vessels are required to have a personal floatation device for each person on board.

Wolfeboro police and fire and rescue assisted at the scene along with Tuftonboro Fire Department and Stewart’s Ambulance. The incident remains under investigation.

Great Job Marine Patrol !!!!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Sarge For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-04-2016), LIforrelaxin (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Blue Thunder

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20409
Old 04-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #6
Old Sarge

Default What were they thinking?

Knowing how easy it is to tip over in a Kayak I am shocked they would even be out there with the water this cold not to mention without a PFD. It does not take long to lose muscle control in cold water. She is lucky the MP were there.

My cousin's son was doing some spring fishing alone on Squam lake several years ago. Somehow he fell out of his boat and could not get back on! He said that he was going down for the last time and thought he was going to die. He had one hand above the water when another fisherman who happened along grabbed his wrist and pulled him back up and out. He is lucky to be still with us!

Makes me think twice about going out so early in the year!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
Knowing how easy it is to tip over in a Kayak I am shocked they would even be out there with the water this cold not to mention without a PFD.
25 years kayaking in all kinds of water temps and weather, lake and ocean and I have never once, I say again I have never once tipped over a kayak or a canoe. I stand up on my kayak and take casts bass fishing with a 7' bait caster. On some of these kayaks build within the last decade how bad is your sense of balance to flip one of these? They're not like they were 20 years ago.

I will say from October to memorial day I will wear a life vest kayaking/ canoeing because that is how I was raised. Momma didn't raise no fool.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Old Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
On some of these kayaks build within the last decade how bad is your sense of balance to flip one of these?
My son's cousin wasn't in a kayak but I guess it was pretty easy for her! Maybe the wind had something to do with it. Just glad she is alright!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnisquamer

Quote:
On some of these kayaks build within the last decade how bad is your sense of balance to flip one of these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
I guess it was pretty easy for her!
We all know 17 year old boys/girls aren't the brightest bulbs on the shelf. Where were their parents? The day she fell in was what 26ºF-30ºF and 25 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 35mph?

A day where my phone was sending me messages of small craft advisories, nothing to blame but pure stupidity.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ...... just whistle!

Usually, if you have a problem on Winnipesaukee like a flipped or capsized boat or sail boat or kayak or canoe or paddle board or aqua bicycle or something, there's like five other boats on the scene to help......like....before the Marine Patrol even gets there.

April 1st is the opening day for Community Sailing on the Charles River in Boston, and they probably have someone watching the sails from up to 2-miles away through binoculars from their dock, and of course they have a rescue motor boat with a pump, all ready to get out there....and when someone flips a sailboat....you just stay with the boat and crawl up out of the cold water as much as possible.....and oh yeah.....u want to be wearing a big tight pfd that has a loud whistle and maybe a white paddle to wave around or something.

With no other boats out there, and the cold cold cold water...it should make me think twice about getting out in my sailboat......
Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Phantom

Quote:
We all know 17 year old boys/girls aren't the brightest bulbs on the shelf. Where were their parents? The day she fell in was what 26ºF-30ºF and 25 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 35mph?

A day where my phone was sending me messages of small craft advisories, nothing to blame but pure stupidity.

First & Foremost .... Thankfully it was not a tragedy that we are discussing.... and I have tried to stay out of the back & forth blame game of this thread

With that said, thinking of Winnisquamer's question .... If I read the initial article correctly it said there were (2) two separate Kayakers .... nothing has been said of the second .... was that Dad/Mom or just another teenage friend?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #12
jeffk

"Where were their parents? "

Really? Did your parents follow you all around when you were 17? Mine sure didn't nor would I have expected or wanted them to. I had a bicycle and traveled many miles away from home. Sure they wanted a general idea where I was headed (Marc's house, back by dinner time) but what exactly I was doing or if I was at his house or within a mile or so away at the shopping center or on his paper route or crossing the old falling down roadway bridge over a river they didn't know. The same was true for all my friends.

It's hard to imagine any young person that hasn't pulled a bonehead play or two, some of them do it on a regular basis. As parents you try to drill into their heads the REASONS not to do this stuff and that, in some cases, by the time you know you are in trouble it's too late to get yourself out (like falling into ice cold water). Hopefully some of it sticks. I'll bet this young woman never forgets this hard knock lesson.

My lesson came about when I tried to swim across a river. I could walk out from the beach side a third of the way across. I figured I could swim the middle third and then walk the last third. Only one problem, unknown to me the far side was a drop off. After trying to find bottom about ten times and almost exhausted, I barely made it to the far shore. I was gasping and resting and thinking about how to walk back when the lifeguard came up behind me in a boat and gave me a ride back. I remember it well. Every time I stopped and tried to find the bottom, I thought I was going to drown. I really wasn't even that reckless. But I learned that you really need ALL the information before you jump into a situation.

BTW, my parents were in the beach watching me. I knew how to swim, although I'm not a strong swimmer. They figured I was just going to swim out a bit and turn around. When I didn't, THEY told the lifeguard. It was my fault, not theirs. I survived and got a little smarter. I was grateful they didn't nag me about it. They knew I had learned my lesson.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #13
Pricestavern

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post

BTW, my parents were in the beach watching me. I knew how to swim, although I'm not a strong swimmer. They figured I was just going to swim out a bit and turn around. When I didn't, THEY told the lifeguard. It was my fault, not theirs. I survived and got a little smarter. I was grateful they didn't nag me about it. They knew I had learned my lesson.
Good thing your parents were there!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Good thing your parents were there!
Well, I made it to the shore without anyone else's help, barely. And it wasn't my parents job to watch me every second at that age anyway. It was a learning experience.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #15
GTO

Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post

Really? Did your parents follow you all around when you were 17? Mine sure didn't nor would I have expected or wanted them to. I had a bicycle and traveled many miles away from home. Sure they wanted a general idea where I was headed (Marc's house, back by dinner time) but what exactly I was doing or if I was at his house or within a mile or so away at the shopping center or on his paper route or crossing the old falling down roadway bridge over a river they didn't know. The same was true for all my friends.

It's hard to imagine any young person that hasn't pulled a bonehead play or two, some of them do it on a regular basis. As parents you try to drill into their heads the REASONS not to do this stuff and that, in some cases, by the time you know you are in trouble it's too late to get yourself out (like falling into ice cold water). Hopefully some of it sticks. I'll bet this young woman never forgets this hard knock lesson.

My lesson came about when I tried to swim across a river. I could walk out from the beach side a third of the way across. I figured I could swim the middle third and then walk the last third. Only one problem, unknown to me the far side was a drop off. After trying to find bottom about ten times and almost exhausted, I barely made it to the far shore. I was gasping and resting and thinking about how to walk back when the lifeguard came up behind me in a boat and gave me a ride back. I remember it well. Every time I stopped and tried to find the bottom, I thought I was going to drown. I really wasn't even that reckless. But I learned that you really need ALL the information before you jump into a situation.

I can't believe they let you hang around with Marc
dpg (04-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
ApS

Wink Known to Just a Few of Us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyA View Post
This was not a very BRIGHT thing to do,,,,,considering the weather and water conditions. She`s lucky to be alive.
Member Evenstar would have put her right!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote