Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
Cshipley

Default Buy or rent propane tank?

Need some advice on renting or purchasing a propane tank in the Plymouth area this fall. I値l be heating a 2200 sq. Foot house and small gas fire place. I have no experience with propane in the past regarding permits, inspections and delivery rates. I assume I値l need a 1000 gallon tank but beyond that, I知 lost. Thanks
Cshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
MeredithMan

Was there a previous owner of the house or is it new construction? If the previous owner had a tank there, you can either take over the rent if they were renting it from a propane dealer, or if they owned it, it can pass through to you as part of the sale of the house.

If you are starting net new, the rental fee on a tank from one of the major suppliers, (e.g., Rymes), is nominal. However, you are then locked in to buy your propane from that supplier only. When you own the tank, you can buy your propane from whatever supplier you want, which can sometimes result in paying a lower price per gallon.

We rent the tank at our house in Meredith from Rymes, as that is who the previous owner used, so it was simple to just maintain that relationship. In Bedford, the previous owner owned the tank, so ownership passed to us in the sale, but we continue to get our propane from Rymes, for simplicity sake. I don't bother shopping around. So as you can see, we both rent and own, and I don't have a strong opinion on one vs. the other
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Cshipley (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #3
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshipley View Post
Need some advice on renting or purchasing a propane tank in the Plymouth area this fall. I値l be heating a 2200 sq. Foot house and small gas fire place. I have no experience with propane in the past regarding permits, inspections and delivery rates. I assume I値l need a 1000 gallon tank but beyond that, I知 lost. Thanks

Most homeowners don't need 1000 gallon tanks... they're expensive. Go with a 500. If you want to own your own you will be able to buy from any propane supplier, but you'll see why propane is sold by the usage... they're expensive including all the piping , fittings, and regulator. Make sure it's an ASME tank so it will never have to be tested.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Cshipley (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We also both own and rent but it seems to me when we told Rymes we wanted to buy ours they said they no longer sell them. I could be wrong though.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Cshipley (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Jdarby

I purchased our own tanks for our generator. I heard horror stories about propane companies procrastinating about removing their tanks when you want to swap vendors. A new vendor won稚 service another company痴 tank so you can be held hostage by the supplier until they get around to removing their tank. I just had to show proof of ownership to our supplier when we got it filled the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
Cshipley (04-07-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #6
DougNH

We have Eastern propane, 500-gallon tank. It is used for cooking, garage heater, and two gas fireplaces, also soon to be whole house gen, which is why we original installed the larger tank.

It has been in the ground about 5 years and we receive a $280/yr rental fee as we do not use a full tank every year, which is waved if you use at least the full tank. So, getting tired of paying this fee I asked to buy it last month, figuring I would get some kind of discount seeing it is 5 years old… no. They want $3274 for the tank, I thought this was a bit much.

Last edited by DougNH; 04-07-2022 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post
We have Eastern propane, 500-gallon tank. It is used for cooking, garage heater, and two gas fireplaces, also soon to be whole house gen, which is why we original installed the larger tank.

It has been in the ground about 5 years and we receive a $280/yr rental fee as we do not use a full tank every year, which is waved if you use at least the full tank. So, getting tired of paying this fee I asked to buy it last month, figuring I would get some kind of discount seeing it is 5 years old… no. They want $3274 for the tank, I thought this was a bit much.
Everybody has been complaining about this charge from Eastern since Wolfeboro Oil sold.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post

Once their tank is in the ground on your property good luck...Proulx in Newmarket wanted a few grand to sell me a 120 gallon buried tank that had been in the ground for 15+ years at a home we purchased, after we had been complaining about the horrible pricing. We were small volume users but were getting hosed. I finally told them to come dig it up and remove it, but warned them that they would have to cross my septic tank and new patio/walkway to get to it, and if anything was damaged they would hear from my lawyer. After a bit of back and forth they gave me a great rate going forward.

At another home we purchased a 320 gallon tank in order to be able to buy where we wanted. I think it was $2500, but it didn't take long to offset that and start saving.

We will be adding a 1000 gallon tank at our new home in Gilford. We will probably look to buy it. Our driveway is steep and we want enough on hand so that we can fill in the fall and not have to worry about it. We will be running a range, generator and possibly some heat. Probably overkill on size, but that the way I tend to roll.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:56 PM   #9
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
I purchased our own tanks for our generator. I heard horror stories about propane companies procrastinating about removing their tanks when you want to swap vendors. A new vendor won’t service another company’s tank so you can be held hostage by the supplier until they get around to removing their tank. I just had to show proof of ownership to our supplier when we got it filled the first time.

I've removed hundreds of tanks in the past when people switched to the company I worked for. There never was any issue.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #10
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
I've removed hundreds of tanks in the past when people switched to the company I worked for. There never was any issue.
So you removed another company’s tanks when the customer switched to your company??? What did you do with the tanks since they weren’t yours nor the customers property??? Just curious.

Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #11
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
So you removed another company’s tanks when the customer switched to your company??? What did you do with the tanks since they weren’t yours nor the customers property??? Just curious.

You move them to the side and set your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (04-13-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 09:45 PM   #12
LikeLakes

Own or rent - we chose to own, I like the flexibility. It was expensive and they are even more so now, but it would be my preference.

Tank size - I would stay with your idea of going with 1000 gallons. Think ice storm, hurricane, whatever ... something that disrupts supply for a while can get suppliers backed up on deliveries, or short on supply. Having that cushion of extra fuel gives peace of mind. You'll likely have to buy, Rymes in particular won't upsize your tank and probably won't let you buy one to start with. Eastern might be more user friendly in meeting your tank desires.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:37 AM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

There would be a considerable savings over time to owning your own 1,000 gallon tank.

I installed three 330 gallon oil tanks at a house I owned for 25 years. I would call local oil companies in July for prices and fill them then. Most years I needed another 100 gallons or so in the spring to last until July, when it was time to fill them again.

I avoided the winter increase in fuel prices that seems to happen every year and got some great pricing because of the volume in one delivery.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:48 AM   #14
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cshipley View Post
Don't assume anything.

My cost to purchase an above ground 500 gallon tank was about $2,200 or thereabout. Do check property line set backs.

The 1,000 gallon tanks I have observed are all underground. If you do go underground there may be an annual rental fee. If not owned.

I own my above ground tanks.

You may find out that it is difficult to find a place to sell and set the tank.
If this is new propane to a home then most towns require the building inspector visit.

My purchase of propane tank was not so much a cost savings for propane. But more toward the big trucks driving over my yard every time a different propane company was used. As each company takes their tank away and the new propane company puts in their used tank.

And if tank is not owned. Every time you switch companies. They will state that they have to come with a pumper truck to take any remaining propane out of tank - for a charge/fee to you. Yes, you will get credit for the propane. But charged to remove any residual propane in tank.

If this is a new house. Oil is a better choice. So much less propane company aggravation. And more heating BTU than propane.

For the gas fireplace. All that is needed is one of the smaller propane tanks
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 08:20 AM   #15
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Don't assume anything.

My cost to purchase an above ground 500 gallon tank was about $2,200 or thereabout. Do check property line set backs.

The 1,000 gallon tanks I have observed are all underground. If you do go underground there may be an annual rental fee. If not owned.

I own my above ground tanks.

You may find out that it is difficult to find a place to sell and set the tank.
If this is new propane to a home then most towns require the building inspector visit.

My purchase of propane tank was not so much a cost savings for propane. But more toward the big trucks driving over my yard every time a different propane company was used. As each company takes their tank away and the new propane company puts in their used tank.

And if tank is not owned. Every time you switch companies. They will state that they have to come with a pumper truck to take any remaining propane out of tank - for a charge/fee to you. Yes, you will get credit for the propane. But charged to remove any residual propane in tank.

If this is a new house. Oil is a better choice. So much less propane company aggravation. And more heating BTU than propane.

For the gas fireplace. All that is needed is one of the smaller propane tanks
Great info, but I'll disagree on "Oil is a better choice." Advantages and disadvantages to both, and the OP wasn't asking anyway, but just wanted to say that isn't a definitive answer.

We bought and own an underground 1000 gallon tank. Agree many/most are underground, they are 16' long so an eyesore when above ground. Love having a lot of fuel completely out of sight.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (04-13-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #16
TheProfessor

Do understand that the fuel type folks choose fuel types for many reasons.

Having dealt with propane for decades. Too many issues. Too many charges. Too many . . . well I could go on and on.

To do all over again and did have a choice. It would be oil. That is my opinion.
Other have their reasons for their choice.

If I was constructing a new house oil burner would be the choice.

Others disagree. And that is fine.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #17
root1

My 2 cents worth:
I've been getting hosed by the propane industry long enough.
I recently built a new home here and chose to go with oil heat. Water is indirect oil fired in the winter, and electric heat-pump 'fired' in the summer. All other appliances are electric. 'Portable' generator is propane with two 100# cylinders on-hand.
J
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #18
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Do understand that the fuel type folks choose fuel types for many reasons.

Having dealt with propane for decades. Too many issues. Too many charges. Too many . . . well I could go on and on.

To do all over again and did have a choice. It would be oil. That is my opinion.
Other have their reasons for their choice.

If I was constructing a new house oil burner would be the choice.

Others disagree. And that is fine.
I like my oil burner... and the current run-up seems to be across the board.
I don't tend to switch suppliers though... I have used Stafford since I purchased the place in '96.

Of course this year, I will prebuy with the downside protection as oil futures are expecting a drop in prices... https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...-%20electronic
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #19
Fisherman Bob

Default Buying or renting a propane tank

I would be happy to help you and also give you some information regarding tanks, sizes, above ground vs underground, etc. Please feel free to reach out to me at 603-524-1480. Bob
Fisherman Bob is offline   Reply With Quote