Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Piston

Default Log splitter- Does anyone own a Split-Fire? (Or know of a rental outfit with them?)

I am going to be clearing some of my land in Alton Bay (we are planning on moving there permanently this winter) and will have a lot of firewood that is going to need splitting, so I'm in need of a log splitter.

I've always been extremely interested in the company "Split-Fire" who makes log splitters in Canada. They are in line with Timberwolf's as far as price goes, but they split in two directions.

I'd love to find a rental company who offers these so I can try one out before financially committing to one. Also, if anyone owns a Split-Fire and is willing to demonstrate it to me I'd be happy as well.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
DickR

I would suggest going over to hearth.com and posting the question on the subforum "The Gear." There have been many discussions over there on splitters, everything from small hand operated devices to electric motor driven ones to gas-powered ones to huge automated commercial rigs. Many find that for home use (not commercial), something in the range of 22-27 tons will split just about anything you're apt to encounter. I have a 22 from Tractor Supply (made by Speeco) that I have liked and is generally regarded as a decent machine for the money. Another well-regarded one in the same class is by Dirty Hand Tools.

As far as features go, look for one that will run with the beam either horizontal or vertical. Vertical is good for heavy rounds that would be back breakers to lift up to a horizontal beam. If you will be operating this mainly by yourself, I'd question the need for bi-directional splitting. Trying to move rounds to both ends fast enough to keep up will wear you out in a hurry. Look at the specs for cycle time. Too long will make you impatient. Anyway, much of the time a round without knots will split with the wedge driven in just a few inches. With the rounds cut mostly to the same length, you needn't withdraw the piston all the way each time, so you can work through the rounds fairly quickly anyway. Much of your time will be taken up just moving rounds to the splitter and splits from it to a pile, so that actual splitting time is of less importance.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

^ This. Unless you've got a couple reliable workers, speed won't be an issue. Add to that the inability to lift big rounds (the need for vertical, as mentioned above) and safety, and you're better looking at a standard piston-type splitter. And I would add a couple thoughts: if this is a one-time operation, buy a higher-end used one or $1000 Tractor Supply one and sell it when done--you'll make most, if not all, your money back.

Finally, unless you've done lots of this before, be prepared to be patient and work in reasonable conditions/weather. Other than being dangerous, splitting wood, though easier with a splitter, is hard work but, in my experience, can be enjoyable and good exercise if done right.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Piston

Thank you for the replies

I didn't want to write too much background info or random info about what I'm planning or my experience, only because I could go on forever I felt like people wouldn't read my post if it was too long

I suppose I should have explained a little better. What I'm looking for, is a specific style (and manufacturer) log splitter. It is called Split-Fire, and they make both 3 point hitch versions, as well as stand alone. Here is they're website if anyone is interested....
www.split-fire.com

Regarding my experience with log splitters, I do have pretty extensive experience with wood in general, both with cutting trees down, milling them into lumber and timbers (mostly used for timber framing), as well as using the tops and culls for wood burning. I've used stand alone splitters in the past, and currently have a 3 point hitch model for my tractor, which I really want an upgrade from. I've always been very interested in the Split-Fire models but haven't had an opportunity to try one out, or even see one operate. (I've seen them at fairs such as the Big "E", but not in operation).
Before spending a lot of money on one, I would like to either see one in operation, or preferably spend a day using one.

I own/operate my own business that specializes in low impact and sustainable methods of land management. One of my major offerings is the ability to quickly and efficiently restore old pasture or fields, mostly the 3"-14" range of trees that grow up in old pasture land, which is typically too small for large equipment to bother with, but too large for heavy duty brush hogs/rotary cutters to deal with.

I do everything from stumpgrinding, chipping, power raking for new or existing lawn applications, brush chipping and clearing, grading, new or existing driveway installation/maintenance, creating drainage ditches, etc.

I like to use (or re-purpose) as much as I can from the land that I work.

Regarding the log splitter though, I'm finally getting an opportunity to move to the area, and will be using it a lot on my own land. I have about 50 acres of unmaintained forest land to thin, as well as another 120 acres of wooded land that I "could" thin. However, this is too big of a project for me or my equipment, but I'm considering using and selling firewood from the trees that most contractors would typically leave in the woods to rot (which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.) My current setup isn't efficient enough with my 3 point hitch homemade splitter. I'm at a spot now, that I either go with a commercial grade splitter, or step up to a processor, which I'm not nearly at that point yet.

Regarding extra personnel/help, I have a 2 yr old and 4 year old sons, and I figure in another 10 years they'll be ready to lend me a hand.

I'm not really interested at this time, in the smaller homeowner versions. However, I'm not ruling it out, but at this point I'm mostly interested in seeing a Split-Fire in action.

Thanks again.
-Matt
Old 08-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
Thank you for the replies

I didn't want to write too much background info or random info about what I'm planning or my experience, only because I could go on forever I felt like people wouldn't read my post if it was too long

I suppose I should have explained a little better. What I'm looking for, is a specific style (and manufacturer) log splitter. It is called Split-Fire, and they make both 3 point hitch versions, as well as stand alone. Here is they're website if anyone is interested....
www.split-fire.com

Regarding my experience with log splitters, I do have pretty extensive experience with wood in general, both with cutting trees down, milling them into lumber and timbers (mostly used for timber framing), as well as using the tops and culls for wood burning. I've used stand alone splitters in the past, and currently have a 3 point hitch model for my tractor, which I really want an upgrade from. I've always been very interested in the Split-Fire models but haven't had an opportunity to try one out, or even see one operate. (I've seen them at fairs such as the Big "E", but not in operation).
Before spending a lot of money on one, I would like to either see one in operation, or preferably spend a day using one.

I own/operate my own business that specializes in low impact and sustainable methods of land management. One of my major offerings is the ability to quickly and efficiently restore old pasture or fields, mostly the 3"-14" range of trees that grow up in old pasture land, which is typically too small for large equipment to bother with, but too large for heavy duty brush hogs/rotary cutters to deal with.

I do everything from stumpgrinding, chipping, power raking for new or existing lawn applications, brush chipping and clearing, grading, new or existing driveway installation/maintenance, creating drainage ditches, etc.

I like to use (or re-purpose) as much as I can from the land that I work.

Regarding the log splitter though, I'm finally getting an opportunity to move to the area, and will be using it a lot on my own land. I have about 50 acres of unmaintained forest land to thin, as well as another 120 acres of wooded land that I "could" thin. However, this is too big of a project for me or my equipment, but I'm considering using and selling firewood from the trees that most contractors would typically leave in the woods to rot (which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.) My current setup isn't efficient enough with my 3 point hitch homemade splitter. I'm at a spot now, that I either go with a commercial grade splitter, or step up to a processor, which I'm not nearly at that point yet.

Regarding extra personnel/help, I have a 2 yr old and 4 year old sons, and I figure in another 10 years they'll be ready to lend me a hand.

I'm not really interested at this time, in the smaller homeowner versions. However, I'm not ruling it out, but at this point I'm mostly interested in seeing a Split-Fire in action.

Thanks again.
-Matt
Ummm... That kinda changes things!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 08-09-2016 at 08:34 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SIKSUKR For This Useful Post:
Jersey Ed (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Go big!

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Go big!

Now that would work!!!

I like this one too, made by woodmizer. I have a woodmizer sawmill and this would go perfect with it!
(also a bi directional splitter!)
http://woodmizer.com/Store/Product/Index/2779
Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Piston- good to see that you are getting started on your project. I believe we have talked on Tractorbynet regarding snowmobile groomers in the past!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Piston- good to see that you are getting started on your project. I believe we have talked on Tractorbynet regarding snowmobile groomers in the past!
We sure did! Good to "see" you. It's been a long road and my wife and I are really excited to finally be making the move. We were initially planning on building a timberframe home on our land but cost and newborns put that idea aside. We are now planning on buying my aunts house which abuts our land, so it's a win win, I get my land to play on and my wife gets an already built home! It will be a log home verse timberframe but we like it regardless.

One or two more winters and I'll be running into you on the trails! Maybe even get that ride we talked about. I will be able to hit the trails right out my backyard so I'm pretty excited to get back into snowmobiling, I got out of it after dealing with trailering every time I wanted to go for a ride.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Way Out There 2

Default Message

Piston, I sent you a PM regarding your 3PT splitter.
Way Out There 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Way Out There 2 For This Useful Post:
Piston (08-11-2016)