Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
NoBozo

Exclamation Speaking of Smart Phones

Since we can access the Internet with a Smart Phone....is there a "Phone Like" device (like a plug in card, etc) that can be attached to a computer to access the Internet without using Wired phone lines that seem to be currently required for DSL. Is there a technical reason why this Can't.....or Hasn't been done. Just wondering. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Since we can access the Internet with a Smart Phone....is there a "Phone Like" device (like a plug in card, etc) that can be attached to a computer to access the Internet without using Wired phone lines that seem to be currently required for DSL. Is there a technical reason why this Can't.....or Hasn't been done. Just wondering. NB
Yes. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc. all offer "mobile broadband" type access devices. Typically about $40-$60/mo. for a moderate connection speed (varies based on location from about 200Kbps to 3Mbps), and most come with a 5GB monthly data transfer limit.

I have one from Verizon, and one from Sprint currently, and they work well for travel and when my neighbors cable modem and wifi is out
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Yes. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc. all offer "mobile broadband" type access devices. Typically about $40-$60/mo. for a moderate connection speed (varies based on location from about 200Kbps to 3Mbps), and most come with a 5GB monthly data transfer limit.

I have one from Verizon, and one from Sprint currently, and they work well for travel and when my neighbors cable modem and wifi is out
Thanks brk-lnt

I just recently got Verizon DSL...(An upgrade from Dial Up) I'm on the end of the 15,000- 18,000 foot loop. My paid for speed is 1.5 mbps. It worked fine for the first six monthes...except when it dropped out. THEN: About about six weeks ago they dropped my download speed to 1.O mbps. Just as before..I still get Drops All The Time. I have talked with India and the Philipines. Techs have come out. Not going there again. I think that's their plan. This week they dropped my upload speed to 285 kbps..half what it was.

Mt DirecTV box has worked for nine years... 99.9% of the time and that's over the air. Why can't this WIRED box be as reliable...?

Reboot the modem..Reboot the computer..yada yada...almost every day...multiple times a day. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
trfour

Default They Are Ripping All Of Us Off...

We used to buy Homes for what they charge [ Per Month ] !

' They are all totally Outrageous In What They give, for What We Get In Return!

Ripping all of us off, seems to be working for them! Unemployment and outsourcing in our Country Will come back and bite, however!
Our [ So Called Business Partners Of TODAY ], may bleed more, in the final outcome of their practices!
Stay Tuned!

Just remember, they, may well get to where ever they are going, before WE 'Doo!
Definitely a Slap in Our Face!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote