Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Cleaning boats and jetskis

This information is probably on here somewhere, but I don’t see it. We are about to put the jet skis away for the season, and since we are old and tired…even a bit lazy, we would like something that would clean and even shine them up a bit. They aren’t new, but it would be great to have them look more respectable. TIA for any suggestions.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
This information is probably on here somewhere, but I don’t see it. We are about to put the jet skis away for the season, and since we are old and tired…even a bit lazy, we would like something that would clean and even shine them up a bit. They aren’t new, but it would be great to have them look more respectable. TIA for any suggestions.
On the plastics, we use SC-1 on the new(er) ski and Back to Black followed by SC-1 on the older.

On the vinyl, we use Aerospace 303.

On hull stains, we use Bar Keeper's Friend followed by SC-1.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (10-02-2022), Sue Doe-Nym (09-26-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 06:01 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I just use regular liquid car wax on mine. I put it on every year before it goes in the lake. I use NuFinish and it is sold at Walmart.

Sometimes, in my enthusiasm, I get wax on the black trim. It is easy to take off with a toothbrush and a product called "Back to Black"

If you keep it in the water during the season a lot of the waterline stain will come off if you hit it right away with a pressure washer. If that doesn't work an acid based product like "Slimy Grimy" makes it easy.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Lake yellow

Is it the yellow brown water staining? If so, as Tilton noted, slimy grimy works. I use Acid magic from Aubachon Moultonborough. Spray on, rinse off in 5 minutes. I do protect the aluminum trailer as Slimy or acid magic will discolor it. I keep an old tarp on hand for it.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
stingray (10-08-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 08:17 PM   #5
SAB1

Good advice above. Provided the finish is not oxidized a good wax or polish like NuFinish should be great. I often use a wipe on product like Chemical Guys Boat Hybrid Shine periodically after waxing. It’s a spray on wipe off product that also helps with sun UV. They also have a neat warterless car wash I use period to the hybrid shine if the boat is at the dock and not on trailer.

the Bar keepers friend mentioned above will take off staining but it is an abrasive and not very gel coat friendly.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2022, 03:49 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Good advice above. Provided the finish is not oxidized a good wax or polish like NuFinish should be great. I often use a wipe on product like Chemical Guys Boat Hybrid Shine periodically after waxing. It’s a spray on wipe off product that also helps with sun UV. They also have a neat warterless car wash I use period to the hybrid shine if the boat is at the dock and not on trailer.

the Bar keepers friend mentioned above will take off staining but it is an abrasive and not very gel coat friendly.
Good note on the Bar Keeper's Friend—we tried it on a couple spots before using it, and if not pressing hard the gel coat stays intact. Definitely want to be easy with it, though.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Hmmm…let me get this right. You are old and tired…even a bit lazy”

Yet you ride jet skis and are even getting them ready for another season.

Sue - you aren’t old and tired; you are young of heart.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:15 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Thanks for all the suggestions. We used a boat cleaner which got rid of most of the oxidation….I forget the name of it….but we will use the waxing product tomorrow in hopes of having reasonably presentable jetskis. If that’s the case, I will be sure to post the names of the products. Trying to get one that would accomplish everything didn’t seem possible.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:37 AM   #9
SAB1

Correct. A one shot do it all doesn’t exist. If you are able to get the oxidation off I have always used Starbrite Marine Polish on my boat. after 25 yrs it’s still in new condition. http://www.starbrite.com/item/premiu...lish-with-ptef
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote