Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation Lake warning, Hazardous Conditions

There are two good sized pressure ridges in Moultonboro Bay with a good amount of water around them. One is in the vicinity of Buzells Cove and the other off Blacks Island. They have been changing daily. There also could be more who knows. This could be made more serious with the anticipated snow fall. It may be very hard to distinguish these conditions.

As the Sergeant on Hill Street Blues used to finish with “BE CARFULL OUT THERE”!!!!!!

Anyone that knows of other Pressure Ridges, Open Water spots or other Hazards please add to this thread.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
dpassmore25 (02-07-2013), suge (02-07-2013), trfour (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
surfnsnow

thanks winn
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
dpassmore25

Default Where specifically is this?

Is this anywhere near the crossing at ambrose on trail 15? Will I be fine at this crossing? I plan to ride Saturday morning and won't anticipate much visibility. I asked in a different thread about this crossing and no one answered. I am very concerned now. Anyone with more info please let me know. I don't plan to ride anywhere on the lake besides this very short crossing.
dpassmore25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpassmore25 View Post
Is this anywhere near the crossing at ambrose on trail 15? Will I be fine at this crossing? I plan to ride Saturday morning and won't anticipate much visibility. I asked in a different thread about this crossing and no one answered. I am very concerned now. Anyone with more info please let me know. I don't plan to ride anywhere on the lake besides this very short crossing.
If I were you I'd stay off the ice until the snow stops. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of someone who went out in a storm, lost their bearings and got lost. Getting lost on the lake can be a death sentence with all the thin ice.
Also with absolutely no base and this being very light fluffy snow you are going to hit every single rock, stump or log hidden below the snow.
Be smart, wait till the groomer has packed it down, I know it has been a bad year but a little thought could prevent serious harm or damage to your sled.
Check out the video (posted here) of the guys who headed out to rattlesnake island, the ice went from 6" to 2" and forced them to turn back.
I hope I'm wrong but I'll bet someone doesn't make it this weekend.
Just saw a picture on FB of the truck that went through in Center Harbor.
BroadHopper (02-08-2013), Resident 2B (02-08-2013), trfour (02-08-2013), WINNOCTURN (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation I Would Waite A While!

dpassmor25

I do not know what time "Early Saturday Morning" means. I, myself would not venture out too soon. My concern is that you will be "RIDDING" on "GLARE ICE" under what ever amount and type of snow we get. This means you may have little or no control of your sled. The "STOPPING" distance of your sled in these conditions may not be adequate. The approach to the land by the Marina can be a problem at times, open water from the bublers at the Marina, thin ice at the shore line, low water level exposing rocks to the Sun, leaving thin spots in the ice. If it sounds like I am trying to discourage you from too earlier a ride you have recognized its' purpose.

As for Buzells Cove it is about a mile further down Moultonboro Bay. I not sure of the location of Black Island.

As I quoted in the original post "BE CAREFUL OUT THERE"

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
dpassmore25

Default ice thickness?

Early Saturday as in 8 am. I've made this crossing 100 times and know exactly where to go. I just wanted an opinion on the ice thickness. I will be measuring the thickness in greens basin at my house tonighy to get and idea
dpassmore25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpassmore25 View Post
Early Saturday as in 8 am. I've made this crossing 100 times and know exactly where to go. I just wanted an opinion on the ice thickness. I will be measuring the thickness in greens basin at my house tonighy to get and idea
How many times have you made it in white out blizzard conditions, with varying ice conditions as have been mentioned for the last what 3 months?

If you would take the time to read the posts for the last couple of months you would see that not many are venturing out very far because the ice is not safe from one place to another.