Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2022, 11:03 PM   #1
missmybid

Default Flying bugs around lights in cabin

Hi,

I have a cabin with no air conditioning. We have screens on all the windows but every night we get a lot of little flying bugs around any and all lights - in the kitchen, bedrooms, even nightlights. In the morning they’re all over the floor, counter, table - right under the light sources.

Any tips for reducing the amount of these pests?

Thanks in advance!
missmybid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:27 AM   #2
garysanfran

They could be fruit flies perhaps?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:37 AM   #3
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
They could be fruit flies perhaps?
No they are not fruit flies. We have them at the island all the time.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
missmybid (08-07-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default White no-see-ums

When we had a Starcraft tent trailer, sitting in the trailer at night attracted all sorts of flying critters, including white/tan no-see-ums. As a result, we sat outside and had a Rayovac lantern, similar to a Coleman lantern with a mantel, going for light. We'd place it 10-15 ft away. You could feel this little buggers fly by us heading to the light. In the morning, there would literally be an inch or more dead bugs in the bottom of the lantern.

I feel your pain.

Dave
missmybid (08-07-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 08:03 AM   #5
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmybid View Post
Hi,

I have a cabin with no air conditioning. We have screens on all the windows but every night we get a lot of little flying bugs around any and all lights - in the kitchen, bedrooms, even nightlights. In the morning they’re all over the floor, counter, table - right under the light sources.

Any tips for reducing the amount of these pests?

Thanks in advance!
Assuming they are coming from outside, you need to keep them out. I know...no duh.

We had the same problem when we bought 8 years ago. Lived with it for two summers but over that next winter, we replaced all window screen mesh to a size that's much smaller than the normal. That was a simple matter of ordering the desired screen material online and bringing it and the screens to a local hardware store that replaced screening as a service. When installing each spring (I remove all the screens before winter) I also make certain that the screens fit firmly against the window frame - otherwise the bugs will simply find a way through open cracks around the screens.

The combination of these two actions minimized about 95 percent of the problem. Very small bugs can still find their way through the screens or around the occasional area where the screens are not firmly against their backing. Still, these efforts made a huge difference for us.

Go to www.phifer.com for screen options. We purchased the black aluminum mesh and it's been very durable over the last six years. Added bonus: the screen mesh material is so fine that visibility through it is actually improved over the more standard mesh material we had before.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-05-2022), missmybid (08-07-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Assuming they are coming from outside, you need to keep them out. I know...no duh.

We had the same problem when we bought 8 years ago. Lived with it for two summers but over that next winter, we replaced all window screen mesh to a size that's much smaller than the normal. That was a simple matter of ordering the desired screen material online and bringing it and the screens to a local hardware store that replaced screening as a service. When installing each spring (I remove all the screens before winter) I also make certain that the screens fit firmly against the window frame - otherwise the bugs will simply find a way through open cracks around the screens.

The combination of these two actions minimized about 95 percent of the problem. Very small bugs can still find their way through the screens or around the occasional area where the screens are not firmly against their backing. Still, these efforts made a huge difference for us.

Go to www.phifer.com for screen options. We purchased the black aluminum mesh and it's been very durable over the last six years. Added bonus: the screen mesh material is so fine that visibility through it is actually improved over the more standard mesh material we had before.
This is one of the keys not all screen mesh is made the same....
The other thing to do, is look around for possible points of entry.... late at night turn on all the lights and walk around out side, you might be surprised to find a few places that could use some caulking....
missmybid (08-07-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:00 PM   #7
Woody38

Default Sonic rodent repeller

I have these rodent devices in the house and garage. Originally got them for the house on Cape Cod which had only one sensor (still have them). Also have the new ones. Not for mice but for bugs and spiders. The garage is free of insects and spiders. Occasionally I see a spider on the wall in the garage which is behind the Repeller.

https://www.sonictechnologyproducts.com/rodentrepeller

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-27-2022), missmybid (08-07-2022)