Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Remembering The Steamboat Era

My interest in genealogy and local history has often taken me "graving", in my quest to locate the graves of individuals I have been researching. Recently I headed over to Bayside Cemetery and "bumped into" an old steamboat captain, Charles F. Brown. No, not in the flesh as he died in 1913, but I did find his final resting place, along with members of his family.

Capt. Brown was born in Moultonborough in 1831 and according to his obituary was considered to be one of the best boatmen on the lake. He entered the business in the late 1850s and owned or co-owned three steamboats over the course of the next 40 years - the Naugatuck, the Mineola and the Eagle. The Eagle was built in Lakeport by H.A. Blackstone, a well-known shipbuilder from Boston. More information about Capt. Brown, his steamboats and others that plied the waters of the lake can be found in Edward H. Blackstone's book, Farewell Old Mount Washington.

Capt. Brown also co-owned the parcel of land just south of the former Burger King building, which is now being considered as a future yacht club development. He resided at 683 Union Avenue in Lakeport in a home he built and died there at age 81.

Lake Winni is rich in history and it is always fascinating to look into the past and learn about the people who occupied this space before we did. I hope those who come after will develop a reverence for the lake and not be driven by greed which could ultimately destroy it.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
Orion (01-19-2020), Tallyho (01-30-2020)
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

The launching of the Eagle at Lakeport in 1886

From the Rattlesnake Gal collection

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Orion (01-19-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
ApS

Question Settled Science...

Your photo shows a copyright date of 1905, so the difference is only 20 years, in a lake that was slow in development.

Note the lack of a "bathtub ring" in these early photographs of Lake Winnipesaukee.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote