Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
bobkatfly

Default Trailer matching

Hi all. Been looking at a used Four Winns tandem axle trailer. It's described as a 21 footer. Has the four bunk hull supports and two rear side bunk guides. Don't have a model number at the moment but am considering purchasing to use with a Cobalt 210. I'll be taking a look at it today to get more info like load capacity etc. What I'm most concerned about is proper bunk support. Any advice on suitability and fit?

Thanks

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Most Four Winns trailers in this area are painted. I have had four Four Winns boats and I always ordered the galvanized trailer to, hopefully, stay away from rust.

The bunks may be adjustable but if they are not you might want to carefully load your boat on and see how the bunks line up.

You didn't mention the age of the trailer but even if the tires have good tread I would replace older tires because the heat build up when trailering is harder on older tires and they fail more often. I always use bearing buddies too.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
bobkatfly

Thanks TBB.

Had a look yesterday. It's painted as you said. Looks pretty good though. It's a model DO220 manf. in 2002. Standard Carlisle tires appear good as well. Unfortunately, the bunks are fixed. I guess I could always do some mods on them. Have to think about this a little more.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #4
donmac

We bought our couple year old rack-stored 24' four winns on the lake without a trailer.

At first we looked for a matching four winns trailer, but ultimately decided on an aluminum I-beam.

Like others, I also try to avoid painted trailers. We have had a few over the years and they often start to look bad after just a few years.

We shopped around and Shep Browns gave us good price, plus allowed me to slip the boat there for free for a few days until the trailer was setup for the boat. That was about 10 years ago and the trailer still looks like new.

Tilton Trailer Outlet is worth a call as well.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
jeffk

I second Tilton Trailer Outlet. You don't mention a price but I think you will be amazed at what you can get for very affordable prices there.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I second Tilton Trailer Outlet. You don't mention a price but I think you will be amazed at what you can get for very affordable prices there.
I agree, call Joe. I got a price quoted from a marina and Trailer Outlet was able to get me a higher rated trailer, aluminum instead of Galvi, upgraded rims for less than the marina wanted for a basic galvi trailer. My boat is a 22ft.
Attached Images

Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

jeffK: Nice trailer. I forgot about aluminum when I recommended galvanized.

I also recommend Joe at Tilton Trailer Outlet. I price shopped him a few years ago and he was well below the other prices I got, and local too. He is low key and easy to work with. I have purchased three trailers from him over the past three years.

If you do go new and plan to do a lot of trailering I would get the radial tires. I did that, and had them balanced before I used them. I have towed back and forth to Florida a couple of times with no issues.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Another recommendation for Joe at the trailer outlet...have bought multiple trailers from him and he's a nic guy to boot!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
ApS

Thumbs down Cheap Tires = Nightmares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Thanks TBB.

Had a look yesterday. It's painted as you said. Looks pretty good though. It's a model DO220 manf. in 2002. Standard Carlisle tires appear good as well. Unfortunately, the bunks are fixed. I guess I could always do some mods on them. Have to think about this a little more.
Carlisle Tires aren't the best—and anyway—you can't tell by a glance at their sidewalls. For age, check for small cracks between the treads, then lay the tire on the ground and step on the edge. Expect to see long curved cracks in the sidewalls indicating the tire hasn't long to go.

• Tires used infrequently will rot.

Towing at higher speeds should rule out Carlisle tires. Used passenger car tires with excellent tread are often traded-in due to noise or hard ride—conditions not important with a trailer. Oftentimes, you'll see a complete set of four in the rack.

Check with your local service station. As a local tire dealer, he has a stake in seeing that his customers get good tires for every possible purpose.