Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
hewitt52

Default Wildwood Association

Hi everyone,

I am looking for property in Moultonborough. I have a preferred location but there is no inventory at the moment. My realtor suggested something in the Wildwood Association on Long Island. I don't know anything about it and despite many trips to Moultonborough, I haven't been on Long Island.

Curious if any of you could chime in with thoughts on the Wildwood Association. They don't have a website and I can't find information about them.
- Annual dues?
- Other fees (renting your home, new construction on a lot you own - things like Suissvale where you have to pay for everything).
- How's the beach parking situation? Golf cart parking available?

Thank you in advance!
hewitt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So the big downside to Wildwood is that there is no Docking or Mooring field.

The upside is the big beach... can't comment about anything else from that perspective...

As for Long Island, my family has owned property out there for almost 40 years now... There are 3 ramps for launching, 1 by Trexlers Marina, one at the Town beach just over the bridge on Long Island, and the 3 state ramp at the end of long island road, by Harrilla's landing.

Lots of roads to walk around on, and some trails through the woods.... Plenty of Nature....

ok enough for now, let me know if you want to know more....
hewitt52 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
hewitt52

The boat launch/parking situation is a one negative for me. I have a 25' boat so convenience is important. I like the idea that I can launch and beach it while I put my trailer away.

I've been solely focused on Balmoral. I love it up there. I've been up there many times in 20 year since college. Only issue is there is no inventory. What has been up recently is too damn overpriced and there isn't many buildable lots at all left up there.

I'm completely against Suissvale. It's too large and congested and they seem to charge you a ton for anything and everything they can. My realtor suggested Wildwood but I don't know.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewitt52 View Post
The boat launch/parking situation is a one negative for me. I have a 25' boat so convenience is important. I like the idea that I can launch and beach it while I put my trailer away.

I've been solely focused on Balmoral. I love it up there. I've been up there many times in 20 year since college. Only issue is there is no inventory. What has been up recently is too damn overpriced and there isn't many buildable lots at all left up there.

I'm completely against Suissvale. It's too large and congested and they seem to charge you a ton for anything and everything they can. My realtor suggested Wildwood but I don't know.
The key phrase for Long Island is "out there".
It's beautiful when you're "out there" but it adds an extra 1/2 hour to your trip if you're a weekender.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
hewitt52 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Quote:
Only issue is there is no inventory. What has been up recently is too damn overpriced
This is the problem everywhere. I thought it was an irrational once in a lifetime splurge when I bought my place, a crazy luxury. I am now hundreds of thousands ahead on that crazy luxury. If you find a place you love, and it's overpriced but you can still swing it, you should buy it
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-02-2021), hewitt52 (08-02-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:

You get dinged hard at Suissevale with an impact fee if you are building new. Other than that, HOA is 850 or 900 a year (my wife pays the bills). It is a well run association, albeit with some Bickermans!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
hewitt52 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
hewitt52

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
You get dinged hard at Suissevale with an impact fee if you are building new. Other than that, HOA is 850 or 900 a year (my wife pays the bills). It is a well run association, albeit with some Bickermans!
They just upped it too I believe to $25k.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
hewitt52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
This is the problem everywhere. I thought it was an irrational once in a lifetime splurge when I bought my place, a crazy luxury. I am now hundreds of thousands ahead on that crazy luxury. If you find a place you love, and it's overpriced but you can still swing it, you should buy it
That's where I'm leaning. I just sold a family cottage on Cape Cod and have a lot more available savings to put towards this. I've wanted this since the first time I visited and am finally in a place to make it happen. Now I just need some inventory to open up lol.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
So the launch for the town of Moultonborough would work well for you... You could Drop you boat in, tie it to the dock or anchor it if it is busy, and yes even beach it if you wanted to....Drive quickly back to Wildwood, park the Trailer, and drive back down to the town beach... many local people do it all the time... Just make sure the vehicle you leave at the beach has a permit.

Another place to think about in that area is Far Echo Harbor....
hewitt52 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
Long Island Baba

Default Wildwood is not Balmoral

Glad to see you are checking around. Most folks don't.

We have lived in Wildwood for more than twenty years. Limited turnover here. There are a few lots for sale on the main road (Long Island Road) that will give you Association privileges. Or, wait for a home to come on the market. Pretty rare event.

If you like Balmoral you won't like Wildwood. Totally different places.

Wildwood is 61 parcels and dues are $620/year for paved roads (except Rivers Road), tennis/pickle ball courts and great beach. Day dock only. No moorings. No playground. One rental home in community. Awesome sunsets.

Far Echo mentioned in this thread faces about the same way toward sunsets. It is a larger community with smaller cottage/camp-style homes and atmosphere with dirt roads. They have an awesome beach also. I believe the docks go with property but not certain.

West Point is another Association option next to Wildwood. Similar atmosphere to Far Echo in my opinion with small beach, playground. Lottery based dock and mooring privileges.
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Long Island Baba For This Useful Post:
hewitt52 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #11
hewitt52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Baba View Post
Glad to see you are checking around. Most folks don't.

We have lived in Wildwood for more than twenty years. Limited turnover here. There are a few lots for sale on the main road (Long Island Road) that will give you Association privileges. Or, wait for a home to come on the market. Pretty rare event.

If you like Balmoral you won't like Wildwood. Totally different places.

Wildwood is 61 parcels and dues are $620/year for paved roads (except Rivers Road), tennis/pickle ball courts and great beach. Day dock only. No moorings. No playground. One rental home in community. Awesome sunsets.

Far Echo mentioned in this thread faces about the same way toward sunsets. It is a larger community with smaller cottage/camp-style homes and atmosphere with dirt roads. They have an awesome beach also. I believe the docks go with property but not certain.

West Point is another Association option next to Wildwood. Similar atmosphere to Far Echo in my opinion with small beach, playground. Lottery based dock and mooring privileges.
That's really great insight. I appreciate it!
Old 08-03-2021, 04:30 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

It sounds like you want to be in Balmoral and anything else would be settling. I'd give it another year before seriously considering anywhere else—the market is already starting to slow, and if you've got the funds you mentioned, you'll be ready to go when something opens up, maybe even in the off-season.

Godspeed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
hewitt52 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
hewitt52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It sounds like you want to be in Balmoral and anything else would be settling. I'd give it another year before seriously considering anywhere else—the market is already starting to slow, and if you've got the funds you mentioned, you'll be ready to go when something opens up, maybe even in the off-season.

Godspeed!

Agreed. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Baba View Post

Docks do indeed go with the properties in Far Echo.... however not all properties have a dock, and I actually believe the docks carry individual deeds so that they can be transferred to different properties, if a property owner wishes to give the dock space up... Don't quote me on that.....

West point, I forgot about, but that is another decent association.... However the docks and moorings are not lottery based, their is a waiting list... and you hold the slip or mooring as long as you want.... for some based yearly fee once one becomes available to you....

There are 2 or 3 more associations with beaches, etc. on the Island I just can't remember the names currently.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default inventory? Location, location...

Balmoral: It looks like there are a couple of places for sale as well as a few buildable lots.
https://www.lakesregionrealestate.co...omes-for-sale/

I'd look into buying (or leasing?), even if it isn't exactly what you want. Get on the dock waiting list; use the clubhouse and other amenities, make local friends, etc. and be ready to jump when something you really want comes available. In some associations, very little goes on the open market, MLS listings, because members just pass the word, perhaps through a closed email list, or other word of mouth.

I'm happy in Gilford, but if I wanted to live in Moultonborough, I'd consider Bald Peak. Here are pix of the one place for sale there now. (5600 sf, $2.5 MM)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bab805m9b...1gdJjGlra?dl=0
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #16
hewitt52

So a funny thing happened after I had posted this question. I had pretty much gave up on anything this year. Then the builder I had been talking with reached out to me and a friend of theirs in Balmoral was considering selling their lot. I went up and took a look at it and met the potential seller and walked it with the builder. The lot was already cleared and has a new 3 BR septic on it. It's a larger lot than what the typical size is in Balmoral. I'm now under contract!

When I was up there, I took a ride down to Long Island to check it out. I don't recall ever going there intentionally. It is really nice and the town beach looked like a block party in the water. In the end though, it wouldn't be for me, but I'm glad I did the due diligence and looked around.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
So a funny thing happened after I had posted this question. I had pretty much gave up on anything this year. Then the builder I had been talking with reached out to me and a friend of theirs in Balmoral was considering selling their lot. I went up and took a look at it and met the potential seller and walked it with the builder. The lot was already cleared and has a new 3 BR septic on it. It's a larger lot than what the typical size is in Balmoral. I'm now under contract!

When I was up there, I took a ride down to Long Island to check it out. I don't recall ever going there intentionally. It is really nice and the town beach looked like a block party in the water. In the end though, it wouldn't be for me, but I'm glad I did the due diligence and looked around.
Awesome! Congrats!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Sounds great—good luck with the building process! Maybe start a thread here with photos and info as you go?

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #19
hewitt52

Quote:
Sounds great—good luck with the building process! Maybe start a thread here with photos and info as you go?

Absolutely!
The Following User Says Thank You to hewitt52 For This Useful Post:
Boundary (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #20
Boundary

Congratulations! Best of luck and enjoy!!!
Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #21
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:

Yes! Would love to see!!!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #22
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wildwood Shores

2 decades ago, I had to sell the family lakeside property on 'pesaukee because of property tax. My accountant/realtor suggests Wildwood Village on 'squam. Very smart decision! I had to get used to HOA rules, but now at my age it's great to have outside maintenance taken care of. Winnisquam is great if you have family that can only come up on weekends. There is a large beach with no crowd and a mooring field, a great launch ramp! There is a lottery every year for the field, but if you get a mooring you are guaranteed 3 years.

Just a couple of minutes drive down the road, I'm at Lakeport where I keep a boat for 'pesaukee cruising during the week and off-season.
Right now, there is no inventory. If a unit is available it's almost always spoken for. Paid 80K back in '98, a unit just sold for 400K!
Biggd (08-28-2021)