Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
Hillcountry

Default Dual purpose boat...

For salmon trolling and family entertaining? We have a nice toon now but thinking of something with more weather protection that can be easily, used for both.
Seems like the hard core fishing machines are awesome for that purpose but seem to lack (in my opinion) casual seating for exploring and boat rides...
I know I can outfit my toon for fishing and add a canvas enclosure for protection but it would seem that this configuration would act like a giant sail in windy conditions.
Just blue skying, mind you but would love to hear if anyone has conquered this dilemma and are happy with it. Two boats, for now, are not in the equation as this would become too cost prohibitive being as how we valet.

Ideas are what I'm looking for not questions like "used", "new" "price range" etc...

Does anyone know if this boat is a Bayliner Trophy or a "Trophy" brand?
Attached Images

Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
kawishiwi

Default Sometimes wanting...

...what you have is better than having what you want?
I think you have the solution under foot. Rig that toon for fishin'! Especially if you're trolling Salmon, etc.
My slip neighbor has a bowrider he adds a custom made downrigger rack to for fishing. Seems a little cramped/awkward in fishing mode.
Obviously your toon has entertaining/cruising built in & it could be one spacious and stable trolling platform.
IShoot308 I am sure has lots to say as he did the same thing before he went Eastern.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
...what you have is better than having what you want?
I think you have the solution under foot. Rig that toon for fishin'! Especially if you're trolling Salmon, etc.
My slip neighbor has a bowrider he adds a custom made downrigger rack to for fishing. Seems a little cramped/awkward in fishing mode.
Obviously your toon has entertaining/cruising built in & it could be one spacious and stable trolling platform.
IShoot308 I am sure has lots to say as he did the same thing before he went Eastern.
We use the toon for trolling now and it is a great and comfy platform for fishing and we have had good luck as well! Hell, it’s like being in a living room!
The lack of “a place to go” to escape rain and wind driven rain is my problem right now...I’d love to be able to go out in any weather conditions without getting soaked...not worried about the toon getting wet!
Perhaps a full canvas is the answer...just not sure how all that “sail” would affect handling.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We use the toon for trolling now and it is a great and comfy platform for fishing and we have had good luck as well! Hell, it’s like being in a living room!
The lack of “a place to go” to escape rain and wind driven rain is my problem right now...I’d love to be able to go out in any weather conditions without getting soaked...not worried about the toon getting wet!
Perhaps a full canvas is the answer...just not sure how all that “sail” would affect handling.
I had a couple of toons fully decked out for trolling including downriggers and planer mast and boards. If layed out properly and done right they can be easily setup and broken down for entertaining / cruising in a few minutes by using track and quick release type mounts on everything. No holes need to be drilled through the rails or side panels whatsoever even for downriggers.

I would not consider a FULL camper cover enclosure for any reason, been there done that and its just simply ridiculous setup and breakdown time not to mention wind issues. I would definitely do a 1/2 enclosure covering the helm and the stern playpen area only. This worked well for me on both boats and was fairly easy setup and breakdown and did not seem to be affected too much by wind when trolling. I honestly wouldn't be without an enclosure if I still had a fishing toon.

I would definitely think about a kicker motor also as putting all those trolling hours on your main motor is not a great idea in my opinion. Almost all toon manufacturers make brackets for kicker motors now and if not they can be very easily made.

It would be a heck of a lot cheaper for you to buy an enclosure and Kicker than it would be to go out and buy another boat!! If you decide to buy a dedicated fishing boat in the future you can always take the kicker off and reuse it. The enclosure will also certainly add some value to your toon if you decide to sell.

Dan

P.S. There is always that Ranger Tug I sent you too!!!
Hillcountry (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
noreast

Some center consoles are becoming more family friendly, I think they've seen the explosion of Tri-toons and are smartly adjusting. Most fishermen aren't going to buy 2 boats, & the wife wants a family boat, so kill 2 with 1 stone.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post

Does anyone know if this boat is a Bayliner Trophy or a "Trophy" brand?
It's really the same thing. Bayliner made fishing boats under the Trophy name and then the parent company, Brunswick, decided to make Trophy a brand all it's own. The only difference is the sticker on it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
burgerunh

Default my 2 cents

Here's my 2 cents... If you fish off that Trophy for one day you will be crying to yourself "why did I sell my pontoon?" That thing has hardly any room in the cockpit it looks like a 20 footer or less. The pontoon is sooo much more comfortable for anything more than 2 or 3 people. The only advantages to the Trophy would be getting blown around less and possibly a higher top end speed.

I second the notion of spending your money on some canvas and a kicker.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Yes I know...the Trophy in the picture just appeared newer than most you see out there. I just wondered if they were still Bayliner or their own brand. If I went that route I would get something 22-24’ at least. I did have one season with a 19’ bowrider and it was small for the lake.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
Hillcountry

Canvas and kicker looks like the way to go and I just discovered Winnisquam Marine does canvas work (with vendors)
I’m going to talk to Sadie in service this week to see if what I want is feasible.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
Cal Coon

Grady White may serve your needs. Worth a look. I had a 22' Seafarer a few years back, and it suited my family just fine for pleasure boating. Nice open cockpit area. Cuddy cabin or canvas for foul weather. My canvas snapped to the windshield, so it did not create the "sail" effect, and you could stand up comfortably underneath it while handling the boat. No crouching or sitting and having no view. Good resale value too. Depends how "spoiled" you want to be when pleasure boating... I know it's more of an "ocean" boat, but I'm kind of surprised you don't see more on the lake, cause I would think they would make a good island boat as well.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #11
DesertDweller

I think either a dual console boat or one of newer (family style) center console boats would work for you.

I just traded in my dual console boat but it had a ton of room in the back to fish. The down side was the front is more difficult to fish out of but a great place to chill out and read a book.

My new boat (a Key West 203FS) is a center console but has front seats with removable back rests in addition to having a seat covering the width of the boat in the back.

I think every boat you will look at has trade offs and you just have to determine which are your biggest priorities.
DesertDweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
Dave R

I think something classy and simple like a Rybovich 78 would work well.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I think something classy and simple like a Rybovich 78 would work well.
Hmmm or a Pershing 90...!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
Hillcountry

Or this!

https://youtu.be/BUdi21zPYfE
Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
MikeF-NH

I made my dual choice boat choice to be a Lund Crossover 1875. For many on this forum...an 18 footer is too small for the lake but I have never felt it was too small. I adjust for the conditions and slow down a bit or plan on travelling along protected shorelines or away from traffic when possible. That said...Lund goes bigger in the Tyee versions that are beautiful boats and a great fishing platform that also meets most family needs.

That said, none of their models offer the cockpit space and oppulance of a well appointed toon. And toons make very capable plaforms. I've seen people struggle that have to launch and retreive them each day as I do but others that seem to manage fine. Going dual use means compromising a bit for both fishing and family fun sides of the equation. Any boat mentioned above will fit the bill...
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #16
Cal Coon

Hydra Sports is another nice dual purpose boat.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
MDoug

Default Dual Purpose Boat

Love my C-Dory 22' cruiser
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #18
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
Love my C-Dory 22' cruiser
I was researching these! They look very nice!
Did you buy it at Y Landing?
I was wondering if they had any for sale there...I guess I should call.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #19
Eyeboat

I have a Key West 239 DFS. It is a dual console family/fish boat that can seat 10 pretty easy and has all the fishing options. You can fish off the front or back, lots of room. The center console is certainly better for fishing. The dual console offers more protection for occupants. I can close the window and wind barrier door and the ride is down right comfy even on a cool day. You can easily add a rain kit to the bimini for additional wind/rain/sprap protection. I'm not sure you can outfit a kicker or at least haven't researched it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
I think either a dual console boat or one of newer (family style) center console boats would work for you.

I just traded in my dual console boat but it had a ton of room in the back to fish. The down side was the front is more difficult to fish out of but a great place to chill out and read a book.

My new boat (a Key West 203FS) is a center console but has front seats with removable back rests in addition to having a seat covering the width of the boat in the back.

I think every boat you will look at has trade offs and you just have to determine which are your biggest priorities.
Eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote