Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Sawyer's Pt buoys and FL 14

I don't get up to this end of the lake very often and usually it's to go straight toi Green's Basin or Lee's Mills and return, not much time for exploring edach buoy.
Off Sawyer's Pt, going into 20 Mile Bay, there are three red spars. Two close to land and one farther out. What does the outermost one mark? It almost looks like you could go between those two red spars.
Similar question for FL14. It is way out from shore, and the chart shows little behind it. I think I've seen boating activity inside the buoy, but can't accurately recall. What is FL 14 there for? Why out so far?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
donmac

The middle of this map shows FL14 and it appears the underwater point extends out with some scattered boulders (pink spots).

I find the Navionics web app useful for quickly checking out stuff like this while online.

http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating...y=wbwiG~%7CnrL
Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post
The middle of this map shows FL14 and it appears the underwater point extends out with some scattered boulders (pink spots).

I find the Navionics web app useful for quickly checking out stuff like this while online.

http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating...y=wbwiG~%7CnrL
FL14 is at the bottom of that link and I am pretty sure it does not mark any hazards, it just helps get you aligned with the red tops north and south of FL14. I am pretty sure that if you make a beeline from west of FL13 to west of FL14, or vice-versa, you will miss all the underwater hazards between them. That said, I think the same is true between FL14 and FL72, but I could be wrong...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Descant

It appears you're right, DaveR, going between FL 13 and FL 14. It's close, but I need to bend the ruler a little to get from FL 14 to FL 72. It's especially tight if you aren't close to either buoy as your start point. The shore, rocks, and that black spar are in the way, but not by much.

Thanks to all for the local knowledge. Any thoughts on that Sawyer Point red spar that seems by itself on the chart?
Old 07-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It appears you're right, DaveR, going between FL 13 and FL 14. It's close, but I need to bend the ruler a little to get from FL 14 to FL 72. It's especially tight if you aren't close to either buoy as your start point. The shore, rocks, and that black spar are in the way, but not by much.

Thanks to all for the local knowledge. Any thoughts on that Sawyer Point red spar that seems by itself on the chart?
I have never thought about that one. My Garmin shows no hazards near it. Looking at google earth, it seems like there might be a shallow area north east of it, but it does not appear to be dangerously shallow. Navionics shows no danger and a 20 foot deep mound near it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
chasedawg

Default Sawyer Point red spar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post

I sail past that spar many times over the last 30 years. I have taken depth soundings and the shallowest I ever have recorded is over 10' and that sounding is at least 150' east of the spar. So I have no clue why it is there. I have wondered the same question. I hope someone can come up with an answer. Maybe the Marine Patrol could answer the question. I still sail past it as though it was actually marking a hazard.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
chasedawg

Default Sawyer Point red spar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
I sail past that spar many times over the last 30 years. I have taken depth soundings and the shallowest I ever have recorded is over 10' and that sounding is at least 150' east of the spar. So I have no clue why it is there. I have wondered the same question. I hope someone can come up with an answer. Maybe the Marine Patrol could answer the question. I still sail past it as though it was actually marking a hazard.

Sailed looking for the Sawyer Point Red Spar this afternoon during terrific winds. And after 30 years it is GONE. It has been removed. Very interesting. Thanks MP and OP!
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Descant

Default There it is:missing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Sailed looking for the Sawyer Point Red Spar this afternoon during terrific winds. And after 30 years it is GONE. It has been removed. Very interesting. Thanks MP and OP!
So Ninja MP just came by and took it? And nobody saw them? What a great group. Doing stuff for us and we don't even know, or have to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (07-19-2016)