Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #101
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
Dear God let this thread die. At this point its a personal preference, there is no right or wrong -
Exactly.

Tho original poster has stated that he/she is using a wood stove. So forget the ambient temperature of a burning electrical cord.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:40 PM   #102
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Exactly. Tho original poster has stated that he/she is using a wood stove. So forget the ambient temperature of a burning electrical cord.
True. An easy way to settle this dispute would be for me to get a large box-style infrared heater from Home Depot, do a quick experiment with it, and return it to HD. Not entirely ethical but if it turned out that the infrared heater was better at warming up my office, I might keep it to use in the between seasons, because I don't think short fires on a cold morning are good for the chimney.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:09 PM   #103
John Mercier

You can actually just do it in the store.
When I was in their garden department years ago...
I would show the difference between the two to the customers.

Standing in front of the IR they would sense more heat, and placing their hand over the top of each they would feel the hot air rise from the convection.

I also explained that since their was a maximum wattage that was put out from the wall outlet - they overloaded the one there more than once - that more elements did not increase the heat output... it allowed for the user to ''turn down'' the heat by having the appliance shut off power to one or more of the elements.

Using less power made the system more efficient since the operator felt warm, but not overpowered. Most units only had two back in those days, so the option to turn it down was rather limited.

Ceramic to quartz was an upgrade as the ceramic had more conduction than radiation in relation to the total.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #104
LikeLakes

John your post made me think of making just one more comment, not sure if it was mentioned before. Many/most of the houses and camps built some time ago are wired with 14 gauge and protected by 15 amp breakers or fuses (hopefully, I've seen people put 20 amp fuses in place of the proper 15's). If you put a 1500 watt heater of any type on one of those circuits, it should be the only thing on that circuit. Obviously a few 8 or 11 watt LED bulbs won't make a difference but you shouldn't have other items on the circuit.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:28 AM   #105
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
. I also explained that since their was a maximum wattage that was put out from the wall outlet - they overloaded the one there more than once - that more elements did not increase the heat output.
Good point, John. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2022, 09:46 PM   #106
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Good point, John. Thank you.
The more elements is really an attempt to create more efficiency in the application.

The early versions only had three settings, 1500w, 750w, and off.
Both elements were on for 1500w, one was on for the 750w.

So you could turn down the heater if you felt too hot.
The IR heaters, especially the quartz, could become overbearing... and the user would turn them down.
The industry, most likely because the cost of operating them, added more elements so the units could be turned down further.

I first saw this in the resistance heaters. They made them look like fireplaces with a ''lightshow'' and sometimes would use a fan that had multiple settings based on a temperature setting that could be found on a digital display.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #107
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
John your post made me think of making just one more comment, not sure if it was mentioned before. Many/most of the houses and camps built some time ago are wired with 14 gauge and protected by 15 amp breakers or fuses (hopefully, I've seen people put 20 amp fuses in place of the proper 15's). If you put a 1500 watt heater of any type on one of those circuits, it should be the only thing on that circuit. Obviously a few 8 or 11 watt LED bulbs won't make a difference but you shouldn't have other items on the circuit.
Sorry. I didn't see this earlier.
You make an important point. Especially since some rooms would only have a single circuit dedicated to them, so no other appliance would be able to used without risking overload on the higher power models.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #108
TheProfessor

Quote:
Exactly.

Tho original poster has stated that he/she is using a wood stove. So forget the ambient temperature of a burning electrical cord.
It is dead. The wood stove is being used. No improper wiring. That could burn down the entire house.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:45 AM   #109
TheProfessor

Quote:
It is dead. The wood stove is being used. No improper wiring. That could burn down the entire house.
Please. Stop quoting yourself !
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #110
SailinAway

Quote:
Please. Stop quoting yourself !
HAHA! Funny.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:33 AM   #111
ApS

Post Plastic or Steel. Go for Steel...

Sailin--Here's a lead to radiant heaters of 300 (low) watts--just not Amazon.

https://www.wayfair.com/v/bic/compar...ND10051&piid5=

There's a 300-watt radiant heater available that is ceiling-mounted. (What I like). Unaccountably, it's priced at nearly $140.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:52 PM   #112
ApS

Question What Infrared Rays Will Our Space Heaters Give Us?

While checking on the benefits of infrared heaters, I stumbled on this video at YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdiUnmpOgqE

The video "sounds" like clickbait at the start, but the author is not selling anything and this study appeared in Elsevier, which doesn't publish just any medical study.

The author, a medical doctor, tested a low-level infrared lighting in ICU. Placing LED vests on patients suffering from recent influenza, half of the blind study left the hospital four days earlier than those whose vests were intentionally never turned on! (Being a blind study).

At 25:00, the author goes on to explain how modern life habits have made us more exposed to deadly viruses. For example, the "Low-E" glass in modern windows stops healthy infrared rays from reaching us indoors.

Quoting both modern studies, medicine from 1919--two years into the Spanish Flu--and quotes from 1871, it was found that sunlight--especially in winter--is a great help. Sunlight has multiples of the near-infrared than that given in the study's very weak vests.

It was noted that sunlight--especially with green leaves nearby--was especially effective. (Leaves reflect near-infrared rays). City-dwellers are especially negatively affected.

Snowmobilers will be relieved to know that the near-infrared rays discussed penetrate clothing.

ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species), latitude, and melatonin are discussed, but the quest for infrared heater benefits must go on.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:49 PM   #113
John Mercier

IR is registered by the body as heat.
You don't need heat passing through windows.
If you have ''heated'' your home in any way; all surfaces are giving off IR radiation.

The Low E will also block this IR from leaving your home through the glass.
It doesn't block 100%, but enough to impact heating and cooling costs.