Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
codeman671

Default Lakeside Famous Roast Beef, Pizza, Salads, Subs and Seafood

What a name...Not sure what its famous for though?

I love a good roast beef sandwich on an onion roll- sauce, cheese mayo. To get one here in the seacoast you have to go to Durham, Greenland or Portsmouth. Surprisingly nobody in Dover has one. I had a killer one at JP's in Durham the other day.

The wife was out last night so the kids and I decided to take a ride over and try this place out. It has been on my hit list since we moved to Gilford. I must say we were pretty let down.

My roll tasted like a stale, toasted roll and there wasn't much on it. Very dry.

We had 2 pizzas. I like a thin crust but there was something off with theirs. And again very dry, hardly any sauce and zero flavor.

My sons steak bomb didn't look bad, I did not try it. He will eat anything so I didn't get an honest opinion.

I am not going to write them off 100% yet, but after my first pass I am not rushing back. I find that every place has their strengths and weaknesses, did we just choose poorly off the menu or is everything similar?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Jon's

Codeman;

You drove right by Jon's Roast Beef to get to Lakeside!! Jon's is the best in the area, no comparison! Great sandwiches, soups and service!!

Get with it will ya!!

Dan
BroadHopper (10-20-2022), Major (10-19-2022), Resident 2B (10-22-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Codeman;

You drove right by Jon's Roast Beef to get to Lakeside!! Jon's is the best in the area, no comparison! Great sandwiches, soups and service!!

Get with it will ya!!

Dan
Love that place, unfortunately they are closed by 3-4pm, we were looking for dinner.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Love that place, unfortunately they are closed by 3-4pm, we were looking for dinner.
Aaaah....OK your forgiven!

Dan
Old 10-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #5
baygo

Default There’s something in the name

I found it interesting when they opened up about 10 years ago and chose the name because they hadn’t even sold the first roast beef sandwich yet.

Jon’s has certainly earned a great reputation. When it comes to a steak bomb the one across the street at D’Angelo‘s, South End Seafood and Pizza and then Winnisquam market are all quick to come to my mind.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2022, 07:39 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I found it interesting when they opened up about 10 years ago and chose the name because they hadn’t even sold the first roast beef sandwich yet.

Jon’s has certainly earned a great reputation. When it comes to a steak bomb the one across the street at D’Angelo‘s, South End Seafood and Pizza and then Winnisquam market are all quick to come to my mind.
People make fun of chain restaurants but D'Angelo's steak bomb is not bad at all
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
People make fun of chain restaurants but D'Angelo's steak bomb is not bad at all
A lot better than Mcdonald's and other fast food.

Ever try South End pizza? Pretty decent and huge steak bomb!
Old 10-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #8
Mr. V

Why call a "cheese steak" a "steak bomb?"
Old 10-22-2022, 11:18 AM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Agreed! I have not had one in years, but D'Angelos steak and cheese subs are among the most authentic Philly Cheesesteaks available in new England (order provolone with grilled onions)
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #10
Charlie T

Default Pricing is out of site

Went to D'Angelo's during the late summer. A small Steak and Cheese with a bottled drink was over $20.00. I understand food and labor costs are rising but that is almost double what others are charging, I'll pass on them in the future.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #11
baygo

Drove by Likeside Famous Roast Beef today and noticed that the sign has changed. They dropped the word “famous”. Quite an interesting marketing approach. Call yourself famous at first and then a decade later drop the association. Hmmm?

D’Angelos is a subsidiary of Papa Ginos’s. They too have had a very significant price increase. About a year ago I enjoyed a double cheese burger there for about
$8.50. 6 months ago about $10.50, 3 months ago $12.50, a week ago $14.50. It’s actually in line with reality. A year ago the could pay the eatery level help $8.50 while today they have to pay $16 to compete with McDonalds. So much for $7.25 minimum wage and a value meal.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:37 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Is somewhat similar to a restaurant, Market Basket in Plymouth, NH has what I suppose is called a food court with table booths and counters with seating for about 40-people, two large clean rest rooms for employees and customers and another large sink for washing your hands out on the condiments counter with a sign that says "For Washing Hands-Only", and an overhead tv screen tuned into a soap opera channel, all located at the front of the store with large windows overlooking the parking lot, outdoors.

A large sign in the middle of the entrance to the food court area says: "Please... No Unpaid Merchandise Beyond this Point - Thank You".

$5.29 +8.5% NH prepared food tax ....... choice of large roast beef, Italian, ham, American, turkey, or ultimate ...... http://www.shopmarketbasket.com/mark...n-takeout-menu ...... a large sub, and excellent quality ....... thanks to the associates at Market Basket, Plymouth NH...... ...... who make it a very happening $5.74, (.45-tax) submarine sandwich.

If you are really THRIFTY and don't like to spend too much but still want to eat VERY WELL ....... this is a good place to go. ..... the food court at Market Basket in Plymouth, NH! ..... high quality-low price ..... ..... when compared to local restaurants.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-09-2022 at 11:25 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:44 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Drove by Likeside Famous Roast Beef today and noticed that the sign has changed. They dropped the word “famous”. Quite an interesting marketing approach. Call yourself famous at first and then a decade later drop the association. Hmmm?

D’Angelos is a subsidiary of Papa Ginos’s. They too have had a very significant price increase. About a year ago I enjoyed a double cheese burger there for about

$8.50. 6 months ago about $10.50, 3 months ago $12.50, a week ago $14.50. It’s actually in line with reality. A year ago the could pay the eatery level help $8.50 while today they have to pay $16 to compete with McDonalds. So much for $7.25 minimum wage and a value meal.
Their website, web address, and Google info all still have "famous" in it?

In terms of D'Angelo, they did what every chain does: they came into the market and crushed it, serving awesome portions and unique combinations, and then, once solidified in the market, began cutting back.

Quiznos, Carrabba's, The Outback, TGI Fridays, The Ground Round, Red Lobster, Weathervane...the list goes on and on and line up with Home Depot (remember when you could find actual experts on the floor to help?!), Walmart, etc. etc.

I remember the meatball and sausage sub at D'Angelo in Nashua, one of (the?) the first locations to open, and how we would hit that and the Pheasant Lane Mall up rather than stay in town for mom-and-pops. Then one day the dream was over. Quiznos did exactly the same thing twenty years later.

Now if Applebee's would just go away...

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:43 AM   #14
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
When I order a steak bomb, it has cheese, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and salami.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:26 AM   #15
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
When I order a steak bomb, it has cheese, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and salami.
Salami is the key. If your travels take you to Beverly, MA, try the steak bomb at Super Sub. https://www.supersubbev.com/

When I moved to Manchester to go to college, I ordered a steak bomb at Nadeau’s Sub Shop. I brought it back to the counter and told them it was missing salami. They had never heard about putting salami on a steak bomb, but from that point forward they did. They also asked if I wanted mayonnaise on it….No thank you! Apparently that’s some kind of a Manchester thing, but I never tried it.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:52 PM   #16
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
Gotta make it extra cheese and add the mayo!

There was a place growing up in Exeter names Romeo's (just checked, they are still there). They were your typical local townie pizza joint. They added diced tomatoes on top of theirs and a dash of black pepper. Pretty good!

Now for a twist, I get chicken parmesan subs and add cooked pepperoni!
Old 10-31-2022, 12:19 PM   #17
Loventhelake

Always had great food and service at Lakeside.
The steak tip sub is the best around!
Loventhelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #18
RUGMAN

Default Jon’s

Based on the rave review in an earlier post on this thread, we tried Jon’s roast beef in laconia for the first time. Our sandwich was outstanding- we had the special roast beef on an onion roll and it was delicious. We will definitely be back. We thought the value was very good too. We mentioned that it was our first time and the owner could not have been more gracious. I highly recommend that you check them out.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #19
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Codeman;

Get with it will ya!!

Dan
Jons Roast Beef has great sandwhichs except their roast beef. It's horrible. It was like processed deli meat. Lakeside is far superior in the roast beef dept. Never had a bad one. Onion roll always fresh, roast beef lean and rare, excellent BQ sauce. Lakeside owner told me he was from the Norhshore in MA and their roast beef sandwhich would be like what you get down there and they are. For some reason NH has not figured out the roast beef sandwhich ( Ala Kellys) Not many places in NH to get one.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
DotRat (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #20
LoveLakeLife

Sad to say, Kelly’s isn’t what it used to be Taz, even the original one.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:02 PM   #21
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Sad to say, Kelly’s isn’t what it used to be Taz, even the original one.

I never liked Kelly's. It was always over rated IMO. I only used Kelly's as an example of the type of Roast Beef I was talking about. Big Fred's in Salem was my go to back in Early 80's. Harrison's in N. Andover in the 90's.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #22
LoveLakeLife

Harrison’s is the same now as in the 90’s, very good.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Jons Roast Beef has great sandwichs except their roast beef. It's horrible. It was like processed deli meat. Lakeside is far superior in the roast beef dept. Never had a bad one. Onion roll always fresh, roast beef lean and rare, excellent BQ sauce. Lakeside owner told me he was from the Northshore in MA and their roast beef sandwich would be like what you get down there and they are. For some reason NH has not figured out the roast beef sandwhich ( Ala Kellys) Not many places in NH to get one.
We had Jon's for lunch on Saturday and I have to agree. I didn't think their roast beef sandwiches were that good. My wife liked her one from Lakeside much better. I guess I have to give Lakeside another shot.

The beef at Jon's was overcooked and the sauce was sweet instead of the tangy James River sauce that most places use, which I prefer.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #24
Shreddy

Quote:
Harrison’s is the same now as in the 90’s, very good.

If you think Harrison's is good then you're missing out by not going to Bella's in North Andover which is first tier in the beef game. If it's Sunday, Bella's will be closed and you should head to Tessi's in Tewksbury. Other first tier roast beef places are Pete's in Woburn, Jaimie's in Peabody, Atha's in Peabody, 110 Amesbury and obviously Modern Butcher in Newburyport but they only do roast beef on Saturdays with a lengthy wait in line. Not sure there's many roast beef places I haven't been to.

From a NH perspective, find Smoking Guns food truck generally in Ossipee somewhere on Rt 16. Gary has a strong 3-way (sauce, cheese, mayo) that can hang with most of the north shore places I mentioned above
Old 11-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #25
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
If you think Harrison's is good then you're missing out by not going to Bella's in North Andover which is first tier in the beef game. If it's Sunday, Bella's will be closed and you should head to Tessi's in Tewksbury. Other first tier roast beef places are Pete's in Woburn, Jaimie's in Peabody, Atha's in Peabody, 110 Amesbury and obviously Modern Butcher in Newburyport but they only do roast beef on Saturdays with a lengthy wait in line. Not sure there's many roast beef places I haven't been to.

From a NH perspective, find Smoking Guns food truck generally in Ossipee somewhere on Rt 16. Gary has a strong 3-way (sauce, cheese, mayo) that can hang with most of the north shore places I mentioned above
Great info!! Thanks Eddie!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:04 PM   #26
LoveLakeLife

I’ve been to Bella’s a few times. The new Londi’s is pretty good too.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #27
Mr. V

Are there any Chicago-style Italian beef places in the lakes region?
Old 11-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #28
Shreddy

Quote:
I’ve been to Bella’s a few times. The new Londi’s is pretty good too.

Agree on the new Londi's, I've been twice. I don't think they're up to Bella's caliber but their distance from 93 helps make up for any shortfall
Old 01-08-2023, 08:48 PM   #29
Givemethewholeclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
When we first got here I had no idea what a Steak Bomb was. Lived in Philly awhile and yeah, I always called it a cheese steak!
Givemethewholeclam is offline   Reply With Quote