Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Cold Water Boating.......No Life Jacket

Boat sinking.

This time of year in a small sailboat with no life jacket. What were you thinking?

The 17-foot capsized sailboat was towed and secured to shore.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...3f50215e5.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Does anyone know if these types of rescues are treated the same as hikers/backpackers? Do "unprepared" people get charged for rendered services?

* I'm not saying that's the case here, but it occurred to me ask after reading the article.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
fatlazyless

This Marine Patrol twitter post ...... http://www.twitter.com/NH_StatePolic...091264/photo/1 ..... says he had a cell phone but did not have a pfd.

I find it hard to believe that he would not have a pfd while sailing a 17' sailboat in "strong winds and choppy water conditions" so could be the pfd was lost when the sailboat flipped over in the wind or something and got blown away. Sailboats can flip with a wind gust and an inexperienced sailor and a pfd that was not actually being worn can suddenly go missing when you need it plus it's not too easy to put on a pfd while in the cold 57-degree water. One wants to be wearing a pfd before a capsize happens and everything becomes discombobulated.

A 17' sailboat can weigh about 500-lbs or so without a motor. A 17' motorboat can weigh about 1500-lbs and be much less tippy-wippy.

A very happening 17' Sandpiper sailboat capsize video from June 16, 2008 ...... www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxC-dnTNYG8 ..... Mazinaw Lake, Ontario, Canada ...... a volume blaster!

Is always a smart move to have a foam noodle as well as a pfd as a second flotation device when a small sailboat flips in the wind because the two combined keep you higher up in the water or to wave it around as a signal. .... ...... hey there ..... come rescue me!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-29-2022 at 08:04 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #4
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Does anyone know if these types of rescues are treated the same as hikers/backpackers? Do "unprepared" people get charged for rendered services?

* I'm not saying that's the case here, but it occurred to me ask after reading the article.

Not sure if State Marine Patrol has the same enabling legislation as NH F&G...

But generally, a 17' craft would need to be registered, and thus the cost would be absorbed like a snowmobile or OHRV rescue. All three of the registration formats having a charge on them to support the majority of the funding from the F&G SAR.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #5
fatlazyless

From ..... https://www.nhfishandgame.com/instruction.aspx?m=hs ......

"Unless the person shows proof of possessing a current year:

NH Hunting or Fishing License
NH Off Highway Recreational Vehicle of Snowmobile Registration
NH Boat Registration
A voluntary Hike Safe Card"

So, when you register your boat you get the same hiker rescue-off-the-trail service as the $25-NH Hike Safe card.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-29-2022 at 11:10 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Not sure if State Marine Patrol has the same enabling legislation as NH F&G...

But generally, a 17' craft would need to be registered, and thus the cost would be absorbed like a snowmobile or OHRV rescue. All three of the registration formats having a charge on them to support the majority of the funding from the F&G SAR.
Ah, yes—I forgot about that!

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
FlyingScot

Small boat sailor and strong swimmer here--it is idiotic to sail a 17' dinghy while not wearing a PFD, especially while alone, even in July...

Righting a small boat requires "only" standing on the centerboard...but you didn't flip on a calm day in your bathing suit. You flipped with lots of wind and chop, with the boat blowing away from you, your wet clothes pulling you down, and the general shock/disorientation of the surprise. Add in hypothermic conditions, and the guy's lucky to be alive
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
ApS

Question "Sinking" vs. "Capsize"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Boat sinking.

This time of year in a small sailboat with no life jacket. What were you thinking? The 17-foot capsized sailboat was towed and secured to shore. https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...3f50215e5.html
Sinking is not the same as capsizing. Most small sailboats can capsize, yet be restored to normal operation in one to three minutes. (Depending on agility, wind- and surface- conditions).

All modern boats 20-feet or less are required to have flotation. (Unless crushed badly by another boat, continued "non-sinking" is assured).

When sailing my catamarans (Hobie-17 or Tornado-21) I'm always wearing one, regardless of fresh- or saltwater conditions. In my smaller sailboats, I've got a second life jacket tied down in front of me to keep oversized-boat wakes from filling the cockpit.

So far, only two PFDs have been lost, but that's half the number that I've found on Lake Winnipesaukee's surface!

Anybody interested in a PFD--size XXXL?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Small boat sailor and strong swimmer here--it is idiotic to sail a 17' dinghy while not wearing a PFD, especially while alone, even in July... Righting a small boat requires "only" standing on the centerboard...but you didn't flip on a calm day in your bathing suit. You flipped with lots of wind and chop, with the boat blowing away from you, your wet clothes pulling you down, and the general shock/disorientation of the surprise. Add in hypothermic conditions, and the guy's lucky to be alive
Possibly also gasp reflex when you end up in the water.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 08:22 PM   #10
dickiej

For a good read on this subject, get “Suddenly Overboard “ by Tom Lochhaas’s. True stories of sailors in fatal trouble, not wearing pfd’s…
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote