Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #1
tummyman

Default Significant Well Water Sulfur Odor....HELP !

We have a seasonal camp that is used from May-October. The well water has developed over the years, a sulfur odor that can be very offensive. We had installed a small carbon filter many years ago that at times solved the problem. And at times, we have poured chlorine bleach down the well to mitigate the issue. But these seem to be temporary patches.

However, we are searching for a more permanent solution. Our research has found suggested solutions of installing either a chlorine granules or liquid dispenser after the well expansion tank, with a larger in-line carbon filter.

We are still searching for a sound solution where we can still easily drain the water annually but mitigate the sulfur problems. It does seem that some sort of chlorine application does reduce the issue.

I am reaching out to the Forum members to find out how others might have addressed this type of problem, as sulfur in well water is a frequent occurrence in NH. Since it is a seasonal usage, we don't want to drain the bank account. Your suggestions or actual success stories would be very helpful.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #2
TheProfessor

Interesting article: LINK

What type of water heater do you have ?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
SAB1

Sulfer sure does stink when in water. Ran into it many times in NY and PA in hunting camps. All the folks down there have filters to remove it. First thing I would do is test ur water. You can call the State and they will send you a test kit that you mail to them or drop off. Nh dept health and services.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
TheProfessor

Water testing.

I fell for one of those post cards offering free water testing. A private water filter company.
A long list of items came back and that company wished to sell me an expensive tripple reverse osmosis triangular quadruple double loop water filter.

Then. I visited Laconai municipal water works on Union Ave. Was given a sealed container. For me to get a water sample. Did this and had water tested for bacteria. Came back negative.

All of this was 20 years ago. Didn't have a problem before all of this testing and today have zero water problems.

Start out with a bacterier test. Or bacteria test. That test by Laconia public water works is relatively low cost.

For this test. Skip the for profit water filter companies.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 11:51 AM   #5
John Mercier

More than likely you have iron sulfide

https://waterfilterguru.com/how-to-t...in-well-water/
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
tummyman

Thank you for all the comments. Tested water with a private company..yes, they tried to sell me stuff. Water came back fine...not bacteria and passed all the metrics except arsenic, which came in a .0051 vs. standard in NH of .005. Close enough to not bother with anything. Not interested in a $5000 system to clear up hard water. We like hard water....not taking soft water bubble baths in showers.

Water heater is electric. Smell comes from both hot and cold, but mostly noticeable with cold that is used more than hot.
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 01:29 PM   #7
tummyman

Not sure it is iron related, as the test for iron came back well within standards.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #8
TCC

As a former water quality chemist I was going to reply to this post, but the link TheProfesor posted is excellent and pretty much says it all.

How deep is the well?
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
John Mercier

Then why would he notice it more on the cold side than the hot?

Also, tummyman, if you have ''hard'' water, what element is making it ''hard''?
Old 09-04-2022, 07:11 PM   #10
tummyman

This is the analysis I got from the recent test.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2022, 07:18 PM   #11
tummyman

As far as well depth is concerned, I have no real record but believe it was between 150-200 ft. We inherited the property. Well was installed about 30 years ago. From the time it was installed, we did have a sulphur smell but my memory was that it was solved for the most part with a small carbon filter. It may be that we just need a larger carbon filter and make more frequent changes. But some have suggested that chlorine is the answer. We are confused.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #12
John Mercier

The chlorine is used to kill the bacteria.
It will not show up in a water test because it is not a health/safety issue.

Hydrogen sulfide is the rotten egg smell produced by the bacteria.

The carbon filter is helping remove some of the smell/taste issues.

Because the bacteria are naturally occurring... the chlorine shock wears off and they re-enter the well water.

Each time you ''shock'' the well, it kills enough bacteria that the carbon filter can handle the small amount. But once the bacteria begin to multiply again, they overcome the carbon filter at some point.

https://extension.psu.edu/hydrogen-s...in-water-wells
Old 09-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #13
TCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
As far as well depth is concerned, I have no real record but believe it was between 150-200 ft. We inherited the property. Well was installed about 30 years ago. From the time it was installed, we did have a sulphur smell but my memory was that it was solved for the most part with a small carbon filter. It may be that we just need a larger carbon filter and make more frequent changes. But some have suggested that chlorine is the answer. We are confused.
The lab report looks to be consistent with that well depth (that's a good thing). When did you last drain and flush your hot water heater? Also, are there any connections between dissimilar metals in your plumbing (e.g., copper/iron,, copper/steel)?

Looking for the easiest answers first.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #14
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
The lab report looks to be consistent with that well depth (that's a good thing). When did you last drain and flush your hot water heater? Also, are there any connections between dissimilar metals in your plumbing (e.g., copper/iron,, copper/steel)?

Looking for the easiest answers first.
Can the water heater affect the cold water side?
Old 09-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #15
tummyman

To my knowledge and inspection, the house is fully plumbed with either soldered copper or the black plastic pipe from well head to pressure tank. No old lead pipes anywhere.

Water heater drained annually at fall closing.

The sulfur smell seems to be most noticeable on the cold side at kitchen sink, outdoor sill cock, etc. etc. Hot water doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

Pouring a little bleach down the well head seems to help for a period of time. Not the best long term solution.

Have been looking at a pellet chlorinator, installing a retention tank, and then a new and larger carbon filter after the retention tank as water heads to the faucets, etc.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:48 PM   #16
TCC

Odor originating from the hot water heater can affect the cold water but not on the widespread and ongoing basis that tummyman describes. Likewise, I would expect hydrogen sulfide generated by an electrolytic reaction stemming from direct contact between dissimilar metals to generally be somewhat more localized.

Unfortunately this sounds like it's originating from sulfate reducing bacteria in his well as he suspects. I'm not aware of any way to permanently "fix" the problem. Short of replacing the well, the options are limited to treating the water as it comes into the house.

I'll attach a pretty good article out of Penn State Univ. that discusses various treatment options.

https://extension.psu.edu/hydrogen-s...in-water-wells