Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
FlyingScot

Default Groceries II

Heath's in Center Harbor is doing a great job with social distancing--all employees and ~80% of customers with masks, one-way aisles, 6' markers at registers, sneeze guards. I'm pretty conscientious, and I got tripped up a couple of times.

When I complimented the woman at the register, she said "we have to make sure our customers are comfortable". Smart owners
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-05-2020), Grant (05-07-2020), Janet (05-05-2020), jbolty (05-07-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Heath's in Center Harbor is doing a great job with social distancing--all employees and ~80% of customers with masks, one-way aisles, 6' markers at registers, sneeze guards. I'm pretty conscientious, and I got tripped up a couple of times.

When I complimented the woman at the register, she said "we have to make sure our customers are comfortable". Smart owners
Heath’s is a great place to shop, and I understand that they have kept well stocked during this crisis. One thing to keep in mind...they are not part of a chain, and as a local business, they are very supportive of local fundraisers and projects. 👍
Old 05-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Heath's is doing a much better job than Hannafords. Meat, poultry and seafood items are stock as normal and they usually have paper and cleaning products that you need.
For a few pennies more it's well worth the drive from Meredith
Old 05-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
HAMPTONS

I went to Ocean State Job lot yesterday and they have a good supply of hand sanitizer with a limit of one.
Not at all pleased that no one was at the front of the store cleaning carriages nor was there any cleaner for self use.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Heath's is doing a much better job than Hannafords. Meat, poultry and seafood items are stock as normal and they usually have paper and cleaning products that you need.
Just about all the folks working at Heaths are helpful, very nice people that seem to enjoy working there. The store has almost everything you are looking for in a grocery store including some nice gourmet items. We are very lucky to have a store of this quality in our small town
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTONS View Post
I went to Ocean State Job lot yesterday and they have a good supply of hand sanitizer with a limit of one.
Not at all pleased that no one was at the front of the store cleaning carriages nor was there any cleaner for self use.
Ocean State is a great place to pick up some goodies at bargain prices. I wouldn’t expect extras such as carriage sanitizing, so that’s why I carry a storage bag with Lysol wipes for DIY when out shopping. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Just about all the folks working at Heaths are helpful, very nice people that seem to enjoy working there. The store has almost everything you are looking for in a grocery store including some nice gourmet items. We are very lucky to have a store of this quality in our small town
I tried Heaths today and I liked it but I was surprised first that they did not have any wipes for the cart. I had to take hand sanitizer they had an smear it over the handle. The employees there were all very helpful and pleasant.

Second- the fresh seafood selection was abysmal at best. I did not notice- Do they have frozen fish? Like packages of shrimp, salmon and so forth? I might have missed it since it was my first time there.

Plus they have smaller size packages of items than I am used to buying.

Was a bit expensive but food everywhere seems more expensive during these times. My food bill has doubled since this virus nightmare started.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
I tried Heaths today and I liked it but I was surprised first that they did not have any wipes for the cart. I had to take hand sanitizer they had an smear it over the handle. The employees there were all very helpful and pleasant.

Second- the fresh seafood selection was abysmal at best. I did not notice- Do they have frozen fish? Like packages of shrimp, salmon and so forth? I might have missed it since it was my first time there.

Plus they have smaller size packages of items than I am used to buying.

Was a bit expensive but food everywhere seems more expensive during these times. My food bill has doubled since this virus nightmare started.
Yes, sadly, virtually no fresh fish. They have frozen shrimp in the glass front freezer at the very end of the meat department (to the left of the chicken?) I don't know if they have frozen salmon.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
map (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:44 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Yes, sadly, virtually no fresh fish. They have frozen shrimp in the glass front freezer at the very end of the meat department (to the left of the chicken?) I don't know if they have frozen salmon.
Don't overlook the seafood at Heaths. They have small seafood counter toward the back of the store and the fish is excellent. They use the same supplier (Mehan Fisheries) that supplies some of the better restaurants in the lakes region.
Mehan picks up fish daily in Boston and Portland and you won't find better anywhere. Look for cod, haddock, flounder and especially swordfish if it's available ......you won't be disappointed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-07-2020), Grant (05-07-2020), Hillcountry (05-07-2020), map (05-07-2020), Not to Worry (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
FlyingScot

Quote:
Don't overlook the seafood at Heaths. They have small seafood counter toward the back of the store and the fish is excellent. They use the same supplier (Mehan Fisheries) that supplies some of the better restaurants in the lakes region.
Mehan picks up fish daily in Boston and Portland and you won't find better anywhere. Look for cod, haddock, flounder and especially swordfish if it's available ......you won't be disappointed.
Thanks! I've overlooked it about 100 times (more?), figuring it's too small/low volume to be good. I will buy some next time I am there.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #11
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
I've bought seafood several times at Heath's, and it's very good. Sal's at Moulton Farms is also excellent (maybe the same supplier)?

I think people tend to shy away from packaged/plastic-wrapped seafood, such as Heath's has, versus seeing it sitting open in a refrigerated case where it's picked and wrapped in front of you like Sal's has. Maybe if Heath's had a sign telling people where it comes from, how fresh it is, how often it's delivered, then they would be more open to trying it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #12
Newbiesaukee

Heaths seafood is excellent...haddock,cod, mussels always top notch. Not clear on the origins of shrimp and salmon if that is important to you. Their lobster meat is pricy when they start to get it fresh, but I’ll splurge for the occasional homemade lobster roll.

I don’t usually do frozen fish but have gotten some from Shaw’s with Instacart. Happy to see wild Alaskan Cod and it was good.

I am a label reader. It IS wild Alaskan cod (maybe) but in tiny print at the bottom it is labeled “Product of China.” I assume their fishing ships are in Alaskan waters but still unusual labeling.

Added photo..it's not real if there are no pictures. It is just above the guarantee logo bottom left.
Attached Images

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
map (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
jbolty

Quote:
They haven't called themselves "Dealer in Most Everything" for nothing.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
Sue Doe-Nym

Last summer, we had quite a crew at our place, and wanted DIY lobster rolls on the porch/ deck. Surprisingly enough, Wining Butcher in Meredith got the prize...I had to order ahead, but it was delicious, all lobster meat, and the price was not out of line......well worth it! Makes me hungry just thinking about it....
Old 05-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
phoenix

i have always had good fresh fish and usually one kind is on sale
Old 05-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #16
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Heaths seafood is excellent...haddock,cod, mussels always top notch. Not clear on the origins of shrimp and salmon if that is important to you. Their lobster meat is pricy when they start to get it fresh, but I’ll splurge for the occasional homemade lobster roll.

I don’t usually do frozen fish but have gotten some from Shaw’s with Instacart. Happy to see wild Alaskan Cod and it was good.

I am a label reader. It IS wild Alaskan cod (maybe) but in tiny print at the bottom it is labeled “Product of China.” I assume their fishing ships are in Alaskan waters but still unusual labeling.

Added photo..it's not real if there are no pictures. It is just above the guarantee logo bottom left.

Wow! I have been buying those and didn’t notice that! I don’t like it! Ugh’
Old 05-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #17
SailinAway

Dollar General in Ashland a few days ago: Two cashiers, neither wearing masks. I ask the young man (looked to be about 18) if he had hand sanitizer for himself. Nope. I'm thinking about all the cash and items he's handled that day with no sanitizer. Then, in the midst of ringing up my food items, he wipes his nose with his hand. I ask him about all this and he says, "No worries, I'm young and healthy." You and I may read the newspaper and we may be up on basic COVID-19 facts, but I don't think that's a general rule. Dollar General has put up plexiglass screens at the registers, but what's the use of that if cashiers aren't trained to not wipe their noses with their hands and not provided with hand sanitizer?

Similar example: the wonderful people (I really mean that) who were giving out free masks in Plymouth last weekend were not observing social distancing. I had to close my car window hastily to prevent the guy from sticking his head in my car to talk to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 04:34 AM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Last summer, we had quite a crew at our place, and wanted DIY lobster rolls on the porch/ deck. Surprisingly enough, Wining Butcher in Meredith got the prize...I had to order ahead, but it was delicious, all lobster meat, and the price was not out of line......well worth it! Makes me hungry just thinking about it....
During the summer I sometimes buy lobster meat at Shaws for DIY lobster rolls. Usually it is about $24.99 a pound. I noticed yesterday that it was $32.99 per pound.

Maybe I should buy a lobster boat. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 05-08-2020, 06:04 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
During the summer I sometimes buy lobster meat at Shaws for DIY lobster rolls. Usually it is about $24.99 a pound. I noticed yesterday that it was $32.99 per pound.

Maybe I should buy a lobster boat. What could possibly go wrong?
Actually $32.99 is a bargain
The average lobster yields 4 oz of meat
At $8 per lb for live lobster a single lb of lobster meat will cost you $32
and you have to cook, pick the meat and dispose of the mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-08-2020), FlyingScot (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #20
WinnisquamZ

Understand lobsters were plentiful due to the restaurant lockdown. “No steak available, let them eat lobster”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #21
Outdoorsman

Default Meat

I just paid $6.09/lb for a family pack of ground beef at the local store. That is up about $1/lb since last week. I did not compare prices on other meat but I am sure the prices increased across the board.

I will continue to buy from local markets over the chain stores as long as the product/quality remains top notch though I am skeptical on that.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Someone, somewhere,

on this forum, quoted a Lakes Region seafood, take-out business as saying, because of the times being what the are, there is a significant rise in consumer cost of take out.

SAMIAM- would you agree?
Old 05-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #23
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
on this forum, quoted a Lakes Region seafood, take-out business as saying, because of the times being what the are, there is a significant rise in consumer cost of take out.

SAMIAM- would you agree?
You mean my note that Sawyers said they apologize but clam prices are high?

They still mention it on their takeout menu on their site, Clams and lobsters both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #24
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Yes, that sounds familiar, but also this...

"For Lyon's Den the experience has been so good that I am not really concerned about the size of the check."

ps. Pricing at Sawyers has been out-of-line for years- I finally decided to avoid the place- total tourist trap.

Last edited by JEEPONLY; 05-09-2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: duh
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #25
Bigstan

Quote:
Yes, that sounds familiar, but also this...

"For Lyon's Den the experience has been so good that I am not really concerned about the size of the check."

ps. Pricing at Sawyers has been out-of-line for years- I finally decided to avoid the place- total tourist trap.
Agreed on Sawyers, which is really too bad. But in terms of prices Lyons Den dinner menu is competitive, not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. However the lunch menu is an incredible bargain, with the same quality, everyone should try. Egg rolls of any variety they have are awesome btw
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Quote:

SAMIAM- would you agree?
Definitely agree JEEPONLY.
Couple examples
shucked clams $95 Gal
Hamburg...Heaths grinds fresh daily for us and they just went up from
3.99 to 5.99
Pork and beef are skyrocketing due to processing plant closures
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #27
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Thanks- Bigstan-SAM

Yes, I like Sawyers food- just seems weird- the owner walks around with is lap-top, sits now and then- and seems to be totaling up the revenue as it happens!

Lyon's Den is definitely one of the best! Good to know about the lunch deals!

SAM- well, I don't remember the last time I ordered a gallon of shucked clams- but I'll take your word for it!!!
Old 05-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #28
Outdoorsman

https://www.facebook.com/marketbaske...type=3&theater