Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
chachee52

Default Weather station suggestions

I'm half looking into getting a new weather station for my house. Don't want to spend a ton of money, would like to keep it under $200 but realize I might be able to for what I want. So I might have to be more realistic with my budget.
I have one now that the wind speed indicator is wireless and only picks up the speed every 15-20 sec or so. But it registers the speed at that time, not the top speed during that time. So I miss a lot of gusts. I researching the last couple night quickly, I found that they usually do about every 10 seconds, but not say if it captures the high speed during that time.
Was wondering if there is one out there that is a little more frequent of does capture the top speed during the time it isn't sending the signal without going to a wired unit?
Do they even make wired units anymore? We have about a 22 year old one at the lake that is wired and is continuous speed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have a LaCrosse unit on Welch. Works well and the internet connection allows us to remotely check conditions.
https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...2-8997e41410bb

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
gillygirl

The Tempest specs state every 3 seconds for the wind reporting. But it’s pricey.

https://shop.weatherflow.com/collect...8aAhjlEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-20-2022, 08:26 AM   #4
chachee52

I'll look into those. The Tempist one looks like it's only on the phone. I like having a base so I can watch it live during a storm. Small things amuse small minds sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
The Real BigGuy

I have an AccuRite that I like. It is wireless from the anemometer to the base but records current & max wind speeds. Mine doesn’t connect to the internet but they do make a model that can be hardwired to your router.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #6
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I have an AccuRite that I like. It is wireless from the anemometer to the base but records current & max wind speeds. Mine doesn’t connect to the internet but they do make a model that can be hardwired to your router.

Do you know which one? I just did a quick search and it says 15-25 sec updates.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:39 PM   #7
jimkberry

Default Ambient Weather WS-2902

My Ambient Weather WS-2902C Osprey (probably a newer version now) might do what you are looking for.

Looking at the display in my house it appears to report about every 10 sec, but does include current, average, and peak speed. It's also kinda nice that the instrument head (up on a 20 foot pole a couple hundred feet from the house) is solar powered with a lithium battery backup - it's been up there for 2 years now, I think.

https://ambientweather.net/dashboard...b7a593009adbaf

-jim
jimkberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD
Default Weather Station

I've also got an Ambient, both at the lake and in town. Like the a lot, easy to set up, not terribly expensive. Have not yet set up remote reporting to my phone, but there is software and an app to do that-- my son comes home for Thanksgiving, and hoping he can connect for me!

Anyway, it seems like a solid system-- I like it.
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dad207 For This Useful Post:
coltgov101 (09-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #9
jeffk

Default Weather Underground

Weather Underground allows many weather stations to be linked to their reporting software to report local weather on their website. Note the Butterfield Road station in Center Harbor on the linked page. They provide an list of linkable stations here. Plus evaluation and links for each station. There is a "more" link at the end for even more stations.

Even if you don't want to link to Weather underground, the list is extensive and worth a look. It includes most of the units already mentioned and more.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 04:42 PM   #10
jeffk

I just upgraded my OLD Davis Vantage Pro system (well over 13 years old, that was starting to fail) to a new Davis Vantage Pro2 sensor suite and a Weatherlink Console. I was looking at the Tempest as well but they don't provide an indoor console.

The new Weatherlink Console is a digital display that is highly configurable. It displays numerous datum from the outside sensor suite PLUS indoor conditions.

Further, it has numerous screens with graphs, forecasts, historical data, and even a Satellite map with weather stations that you can tap to get their reported info. Davis had a nice console but it was limited in capability. The new WeatherLink Console SOLD me on getting Davis again. Very slick.

PLUS the Console downloads and stores information from the sensor suite. It can hook into your WiFi and upload the data to WeatherLink, Davis' site. You can navigate to the WeatherLink website and see all sorts of information from your station, as well as other public stations (going public is YOUR choice).

Finally, I have hooked my uploads into WeatherUnderground. It was easy to do but some of the process is NOT well documented or clear. Once I figured out where to go on the WeatherLink website, it was trivial. You get a Station ID and key from Weather Underground, then enter the information into WeatherLink.

jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 11:11 AM   #11
The Real BigGuy

At the cost for your system, I’m guessing you take your weather very seriously!!

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:02 PM   #12
camp guy

Default Weather station suggestions

For years and years, many decades, I have followed the weather on line, in the newspaper, on the TV, and on the radio, but I have only found one truly reliable source for the weather. And now, as I advance in age, I have decided to share it with all my Forum friends. So, don't get nervous, it is really surprisingly simple, are you ready (drum roll) - if you want to know today's weather, wait until tomorrow.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote