Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

My wife and I went out to dinner with another couple last summer in the Boston suburbs. I always have cash on me and the other couple always pays with credit. We usually make the night of it so we occupy the table for a few hours and we leave a good tip of 25% because of it.
This particular night I could tell the waiter wasn't pleased because his table wasn't turning over. We got the bill and the couple we were with demanded to pay so I left the tip in cash in the middle of the table. When the waiter came back and saw there was no tip added on the credit card tab he lit into us for not leaving a tip and occupying the table all night.
I reached to the middle of the table and grabbed the tip I had left in cash and told him "for that outburst you're not getting this" and we walked out. We've never been back to that establishment.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

When I was much younger I performed a lot of manual hard physical labor and I was always taught by my father to respect others that perform these difficult service tasks. As such since I was a small child I have always been kind and courteous to wait staff and I even go as far as to assist with gathering dirty dishes or piling them to assist. I have almost always could the staff to be extremely appreciative of the help no matter what type of restaurant (high end, family style, pub ect...) and hopefully it means better service for me and a better tip for them. In contrast I had always found my ex father in law to be extremely tough on the wait staff and obten found it embarrassing to dine out with him
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
My wife and I went out to dinner with another couple last summer in the Boston suburbs. I always have cash on me and the other couple always pays with credit. We usually make the night of it so we occupy the table for a few hours and we leave a good tip of 25% because of it.
This particular night I could tell the waiter wasn't pleased because his table wasn't turning over. We got the bill and the couple we were with demanded to pay so I left the tip in cash in the middle of the table. When the waiter came back and saw there was no tip added on the credit card tab he lit into us for not leaving a tip and occupying the table all night.
I reached to the middle of the table and grabbed the tip I had left in cash and told him "for that outburst you're not getting this" and we walked out. We've never been back to that establishment.
5% more than average to occupy a table for a few hours, preventing, what, two more turnovers? How incredibly generous.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
5% more than average to occupy a table for a few hours, preventing, what, two more turnovers? How incredibly generous.

I think $100 tip on a $400 tab is a respectable tip. It's not like we sit there and just take up space when the ladies are drinking $15 dollar martini's. This is not your run of the mill franchise restaurant. Anyway, he got nothing for disrespecting us!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
I think $100 tip on a $400 tab is a respectable tip. It's not like we sit there and just take up space when the ladies are drinking $15 dollar martini's. This is not your run of the mill franchise restaurant. Anyway, he got nothing for disrespecting us!

It's not even close to a respectable tip for tying up a table for a few hours. Even at only turning over two tables, the server could have made $160 at 20%. Add a third in a few hours, and he's at $240.

You really showed him who's boss, though.

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (02-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It's not even close to a respectable tip for tying up a table for a few hours. Even at only turning over two tables, the server could have made $160 at 20%. Add a third in a few hours, and he's at $240.

You really showed him who's boss, though.

Sorry but I disagree and he got what he deserved with that attitude. We go out to eat at least 3 to 4 times a week and never had an experience like that before. It's not like he only has one table to service. He's lucky I calmed down and left without calling over the manager.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
joey2665

Quote:
Sorry but I disagree and he got what he deserved with that attitude. We go out to eat at least 3 to 4 times a week and never had an experience like that before. It's not like he only has one table to service. He's lucky I calmed down and left without calling over the manager.

If we have a party where some are paying credit and some cash or leaving a cash tip we always put it in the card folder with the credit card this way tere is no mistake.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Rusty

Quote:
To prevent this from happening again my suggestion would be to hand the waiter the tip instead of leaving it on the table unattended. I never leave cash on a table unless the waiter is standing there.
Being a waiter is one of the hardest jobs to have and sometimes it's because of people like you.
Bernie Girl (02-13-2019), TheRoBoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
To prevent this from happening again my suggestion would be to hand the waiter the tip instead of leaving it on the table unattended. I never leave cash on a table unless the waiter is standing there.
Being a waiter is one of the hardest jobs to have and sometimes it's because of people like you.
I'm in a service business and I would never treat a customer like that. I didn't leave the money unattended. We were still sitting at the table. In retrospect I should have put it in the check but we did not deserve that kind of treatment. I'm sorry but a waiter with an attitude needs to get a different job.

Last edited by Biggd; 02-05-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #10
Rusty

Quote:
I'm in a service business and I would never treat a customer like that. I didn't leave the money unattended. We were still sit at the table. In retrospect I should have put it in the check but we did not deserve that kind of treatment. I'm sorry but a waiter with an attitude needs to get a different job.

Did the waiter give you good service during the meal?
The poor waiter probably lost over $200 for the night because you felt insulted. I sure have a hard time understanding why you couldn't have explained to the waiter that the tip is on the table instead of on the credit card. He might have apologized to you if you did.
TheRoBoat (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Last time I checked, biggd, his wife and their friends were the customers. In the service industry, the customer is ALWAYS right, even when they are wrong. Like biggd, we like to take our time eating (2 hours), enjoy a cocktail or two, and then the meal when we're ready. The LAST thing I want to see is a server, who is serving me, annoyed by my preferences in eating. The fact that biggd noticed that the server was annoyed indicates that the server failed.

For the record, I'm pretty sure there are much, much harder jobs. Personally, I couldn't do it since I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. However, a server with a great attitude goes a long way in overcoming other deficiencies.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-05-2019), gillygirl (02-06-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Last time I checked, biggd, his wife and their friends were the customers. In the service industry, the customer is ALWAYS right, even when they are wrong. Like biggd, we like to take our time eating (2 hours), enjoy a cocktail or two, and then the meal when we're ready. The LAST thing I want to see is a server, who is serving me, annoyed by my preferences in eating. The fact that biggd noticed that the server was annoyed indicates that the server failed.

For the record, I'm pretty sure there are much, much harder jobs. Personally, I couldn't do it since I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. However, a server with a great attitude goes a long way in overcoming other deficiencies.
The waiter was absolutely wrong but the whole situation could have been avoided if the tip was in the pocket folder with the credit card payment
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Rusty (02-04-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
The waiter was absolutely wrong but the whole situation could have been avoided if the tip was in the pocket folder with the credit card payment
The bad attitude started long before the check came. So I was giving him a good tip that he didn't deserve.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #14
joey2665

Quote:
The bad attitude started long before the check came. So I was giving him a good tip that he didn't deserve.

Understood. I think I missed that in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #15
baygo

Quote:
I would've fired this waiter .

I train my staff to understand that some people may come to a restaurant in a hurry and others may be joining friends or family they haven't seen in a very long time which may lead to an extended visit. We are in the business to accommodate both and therefore need to recognize who is who. I discourage our staff from looking at an individual tip. I encourage them instead to look at the end of the month total and ask them self if it was worth it then.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-05-2019), chipj29 (02-11-2019), Crusty (02-06-2019), Descant (02-05-2019), GBGX2 (02-06-2019), Major (02-05-2019), TCC (02-07-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #16
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post

I train my staff to understand that some people may come to a restaurant in a hurry and others may be joining friends or family they haven't seen in a very long time which may lead to an extended visit. We are in the business to accommodate both and therefore need to recognize who is who. I discourage our staff from looking at an individual tip. I encourage them instead to look at the end of the month total and ask them self if it was worth it then.
I was going to call the restaurant the next day and complain but by then I had cooled down and even though I wasn't happy I didn't want him to get fired.
I just refuse to go there even again.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post

Completely agree with baygo. I used to be in the restaurant business, so I understand that servers need to turn tables to make more $$. But I also understand that sometimes people want to sit and have a chat over coffee, dessert, or cocktails. And those people should not be concerned with doing that. With that said, I am usually not one to do that, we usually have a couple drinks, eat our dinner, and go on our way. But if I wanted to sit there and chat with my family, I certainly would, and would not regret it for a second. As with all aspects of life, you have to take the good with the bad.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #18
Happy Gourmand

Default Tip on table

On the tab there is a line for the tip.....simply write "on table". Problem solved.
This is what I do when I leave a cash tip.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-13-2019)