Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Jockey Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Madame Chiang Kai-Shek the wife of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek lived many summers at her home in Tipps Cove. Just beyond Jockey Cove heading west. She was 106 when she past in 2003. She was the only women at the time to speak before the US Senate in 1943 requesting support for her husbands military battle fighting the China Communist. She would be seen in Wolfeboro every summer with her body guards.
This compound was bought and razed by the CEO of Stanley Tools in the mid to late 90s. He built a beautiful home/compound of his own. This guy had so much influence, he made the pwc company of his choice offer their product at Goodhue & Hawkins Boatyard (Wolfeboro) even though the territory of the product was geographically protected (dealers not too close to one another).
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,387 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
This compound was bought and razed by the CEO of Stanley Tools in the mid to late 90s. He built a beautiful home/compound of his own. This guy had so much influence, he made the pwc company of his choice offer their product at Goodhue & Hawkins Boatyard (Wolfeboro) even though the territory of the product was geographically protected (dealers not too close to one another).
I do believe he was the CEO of Black and Decker. However, the CEO of Stanley built a house on Sewall Road about the same time frame.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
JTA

The president of France (Sarkovsky at the time?) rented a place on the lake. He had a huge amount of security as I recall. I think there were a few interesting stories at that time.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
AmantiDelLago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
The president of France (Sarkovsky at the time?) rented a place on the lake. He had a huge amount of security as I recall. I think there were a few interesting stories at that time.
There sure were some interesting stories. I believe the house he rented was in behind the Varney Island in a cove by Worcester Island.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
chasedawg

Quote:
Yes there were and many pictures at the time. I have shared many stories about the President of France Sarkovsky while vacationing here in Wolfeboro.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
DRH

Quote:
I believe you're referring to Nicolas Sarkozy. I remember photos taken of him shaking his fist at news photographers who (in his opinion) got too close to his boat!
Old 07-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default RE: Jockey Cove- 1990s

It was Nolan D. Archibald- Chairman of the Board, CEO and president of Black & Decker. My research shows that Stanley and B&D didn't merge until 2010. his pwc of choice- Yamaha!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
jbolty

I wonder if the OP ever wrote his article? It's almost the one year anniversary of this thread.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
Pricestavern

Default Bob Montana (Archie Comics)

Bob Montana, the man who created Archie and the gang owned the house on Windswept Island just off Cow. After his untimely death from a heart attack, the house went for sale in 2016.
(https://www.curbed.com/2016/5/27/117...hampshire-lake)

We used to go to Harilsa's when we were kids and buy the comics each week and read them over and over and over again during rainy days on Cow Island. Some of my best memories.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Music Man

Would Benning Wentworth count? The Harvard grad was the New Hampshire governor back in '41. 1741, that is...
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I do believe he was the CEO of Black and Decker. However, the CEO of Stanley built a house on Sewall Road about the same time frame.
From the information that has been gathered for me it was the CEO of Black and Decker. The confusion may lie in that Stanley tools bought B&D. And the CEO of Stanley tools then purchased the property.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote