Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #1
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Looking at my Formula "bible" (all 3"+ of it,,,) in the schematic it looks like i have ACR and and circuit beaker and isolator on the second battery.

My battery master switch only has "off - 1 - combined" no "1 or 2 or combined" option, so no way to select the Aux battery by itself that I can see.
Interesting switch set up... I have never seen one that didn't have the option of selecting the second battery.... That might be something to look into.... so that you can isolate either battery for charging while underway...

update:
So after a bit of research I now understand this setup with the ACR, and the and switch, with only off - 1 - combined option...... Not sure that I see it as the most optimal option, and honestly crates additional fail points in the system.... Also after some research it is not surprising to see this setup in a higher end boat like a Formula.... I think from my stand point, having this simple approach of the standard 1 - 2 - combined - off switch is much more simplistic....

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 07-15-2022 at 08:54 AM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Interesting switch set up... I have never seen one that didn't have the option of selecting the second battery.... That might be something to look into.... so that you can isolate either battery for charging while underway...
This boat is a 2018 and I think its all part of a "better" high-tech design,,,

The truly disappointing part of the whole situation is that the boat has and factory installed ProSport super fancy battery charger that I can never make use of because the boat is in a rack valet program. Guess you take the good (high and dry and out of the sun all the time) with the bad (no access to power)

Still no complaints, best boat I have ever owned (Formula 270 BR) and best choice (to rack valet store it) I have ever made about caring for a boat.

Super happy to be at PBM! So if the worst down side to it is a $139.00 battery after 3 years, I'm happy ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default '88 Formula 223LS

Interesting about 2018. I have the 1-both-2 off combiner with no ACR on board. Originally #1 was the starter & #2 was the deep cycle. #2 is connected independent of the 1-2 switch to the bilge switch and the Mercathode. Mercathode runs all the time, thus draining the #2 battery.

Because the batteries were different, the starter will fully charge first and the generator will continue to charge the deep cycle thus shortening the life span of the starter battery. In fact one year, the positive battery post on the starter actually fried! Lucky it did not catch fire. So I would have it charged on both for about 15 minutes and switch to 2 to fully charge the deep cycle.

When I heard of dual-purpose batteries, I switched both to dual purpose and leave the combiner switch to both at all times. Seems the batteries last longer and charge evenly.

If you have the Mercathode option, you should turn it off if you valet.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 07-15-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clarity
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Interesting about 2018. I have the 1-both-2 off combiner with no ACR on board. Originally #1 was the starter & #2 was the deep cycle. #2 is connected independent of the 1-2 switch to the bilge switch and the Mercathode. Mercathode runs all the time, thus draining the #2 battery.

Because the batteries were different, the starter will fully charge first and the generator will continue to charge the deep cycle thus shortening the life span of the starter battery. In fact one year, the positive battery post on the starter actually fried! Lucky it did not catch fire. So I would have it charged on both for about 15 minutes and switch to 2 to fully charge the deep cycle.

When I heard of dual-purpose batteries, I switched both to dual purpose and leave the combiner switch to both at all times. Seems the batteries last longer and charge evenly.

Many Thanks for the tip, next trip up I will make sure to look at it!
Old 07-16-2022, 06:51 AM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,163 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:

The problem with leaving the switch on "both" all the time is when you have a problem, like a short circuit, or anything that kills the battery, you have killed both batteries. That eliminates the option of switching batteries when one is dead.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-16-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The problem with leaving the switch on "both" all the time is when you have a problem, like a short circuit, or anything that kills the battery, you have killed both batteries. That eliminates the option of switching batteries when one is dead.
Unfortunately every option seems to have its compromise ;-)
Old 07-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

That it one of the problems an ACR will address:

https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti...R%5D_Explained

In a proper modern marine electrical setup about the only thing that could really draw the batteries down excessively would be a bilge pump circuit, and if that is the case, you have some more serious issues to deal with anyway.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,955 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default Interstate Batteries A+ Rating

So after 9 years of daily spring, summer and fall use, it was finally time to change my 9 year old Interstate batteries in my Eastern. Need I say that I replaced them with the same! Nine years is pretty darn good for boat batteries to last and while they were not dead, they were only showing 12.3 volts after charging which is low and I didn’t want to take a chance by trying to go through another season.

As an fyi…I do religiously keep them on a battery tender / maintainer when not in use during the season. They are fully charged when put away in the winter but not kept on a charger over the winter. In the spring they go back on the tender for a day or two till fully charged.

Dan
Old 07-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:

The truly disappointing part of the whole situation is that the boat has and factory installed ProSport super fancy battery charger that I can never make use of because the boat is in a rack valet program. Guess you take the good (high and dry and out of the sun all the time) with the bad (no access to power)

Still no complaints, best boat I have ever owned (Formula 270 BR) and best choice (to rack valet store it) I have ever made about caring for a boat.

Super happy to be at PBM! So if the worst down side to it is a $139.00 battery after 3 years, I'm happy ;-)
Perfect!! Great boats
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #10
XCR-700

Thumbs up Boating Winnipesaukee, as good as it gets ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Perfect!! Great boats
I thought I was very happy with our last boat, a 2007 Caravelle Interceptor, never had a problem with it, it had no structural wood, ran strong and was really miserly on fuel and had a well thought out layout.

After having had several older Glastrons and the joy of wood floor and stringer replacement, the Caravelle was a godsend.

But then we got the Formula and I was quite surprised how much better quality it offered.

Funny how doubling the value of a boat has an actual impact on its quality ;-)

One can only imagine how amazing the newest Chris-Crafts are! Unfortunately that is above my pay grade, so I simply enjoy them at the docks and boat shows, and I'm thoroughly happy with being able to afford the Formula and the value it has offered.

But then I think about my Father who went through a series of boats over the years. He was a really good water skier and had me drag him up around until I would get tired from driving! The best best boat we had back then was a really nice Wellcraft that we all loved. Then in his final years he had dropped back to a smaller and more modest aluminum boat to allow him to get in closed to the islands in and around the rocks for fishing with the trolling motor, and I think that was as happy as he ever was. Fishing for bass was his true vice and joy. Off he would go before sun up and out the mouth of Alton Bay to whatever island he wanted to fish around, and that was just perfect for him.

Just goes to show there is a boat option for every budget and use, you just need to shop for your best fit/choice.

Last edited by XCR-700; 07-15-2022 at 04:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-15-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 06:21 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
But then I think about my Father who went through a series of boats over the years. He was a really good water skier and had me drag him up around until I would get tired from driving! The best best boat we had back then was a really nice Wellcraft that we all loved. Then in his final years he had dropped back to a smaller and more modest aluminum boat to allow him to get in closed to the islands in and around the rocks for fishing with the trolling motor, and I think that was as happy as he ever was. Fishing for bass was his true vice and joy. Off he would go before sun up and out the mouth of Alton Bay to whatever island he wanted to fish around, and that was just perfect for him.

Just goes to show there is a boat option for every budget and use, you just need to shop for your best fit/choice.
Our fathers have like minds! LOL! Dad had Century and Crissies most of his life. Trailering and maintaining those woodies were a PITA. But they were great cruising boats! The Resorter was surprisingly a great ski boat!

Dad's last boat was a Wellcraft. First glass boat he had. It was a beautiful boat! Great ski boat but not as good as the woodies in rough water.

He ended up fishing after decades of water skiing. All these years of waking up to take him skiing at sunrise, I ended up fishing with him before sunrise! My daughter took over fishing with him before he passed!

Before Dad passed, I bought a Liberator. He was a funny guy. He would do a full throttle then slow down to idle, speed up and repeat! LOL! Never comment but he had a smile! Got the Formula on eBay auction from a marina on the Potomac River in Maryland. Best boat ever. Still have it! I wish my Dad had seen this boat before passing! Talk about quality! Second to none!
XCR-700 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Our fathers have like minds! LOL! Dad had Century and Crissies most of his life. Trailering and maintaining those woodies were a PITA. But they were great cruising boats! The Resorter was surprisingly a great ski boat!

Dad's last boat was a Wellcraft. First glass boat he had. It was a beautiful boat! Great ski boat but not as good as the woodies in rough water.

He ended up fishing after decades of water skiing. All these years of waking up to take him skiing at sunrise, I ended up fishing with him before sunrise! My daughter took over fishing with him before he passed!

Before Dad passed, I bought a Liberator. He was a funny guy. He would do a full throttle then slow down to idle, speed up and repeat! LOL! Never comment but he had a smile! Got the Formula on eBay auction from a marina on the Potomac River in Maryland. Best boat ever. Still have it! I wish my Dad had seen this boat before passing! Talk about quality! Second to none!
Great memories!

I sometimes wonder of this newest generation of boaters/families are creating the same kind of memories we have as their "way" seems different and appears not so much memory worthy, but in a Jersey Shore world maybe they are enjoying themselves in their way and will be happy with what they have experienced.

I think many or "our" generation have similar memories and are happy we were able to live in that period. I for one would gladly step back in time about 50 years if I could ;-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-26-2023), BroadHopper (07-17-2022), Fritoman (07-16-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 10:30 AM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Correct. ACRs are the standard approach in modern marine electrical systems to keep a house battery topped up without having to fiddle around with selector switches. The standard scenario lets your starting battery get priority charging, ensuring you are never likely to be left in a situation where you cannot start the engine and return home safely.

If you want to keep a closer eye on things, the Veratron Linkup battery monitor is easy to install and supports NMEA2000 connectivity to an MFD along with Bluetooth for your phone:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=7317232

I have these on all my battery banks, it shows state of charge, voltage, current draw, etc.
XCR-700 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

The key is that your are happy.... Have seen more then one boat with the super fancy battery Chargers... How many of them get use is another question all together... the good news is that it is there.... Just like the switch.... I grew up never having a switch or a onboard charger.... spent many countless mornings pulling an extension cord, and the battery charger to the boat, because something had been left on draining the battery... Even with a single battery I love having a switch, and need to get one installed on my pontoon... turn it off and you simply don't have to worry about a drain... with the pontoon I will not even have to worry about making sure the bilge pump bypasses the switch...
XCR-700 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #15
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The key is that your are happy.... Have seen more then one boat with the super fancy battery Chargers... How many of them get use is another question all together... the good news is that it is there.... Just like the switch.... I grew up never having a switch or a onboard charger.... spent many countless mornings pulling an extension cord, and the battery charger to the boat, because something had been left on draining the battery... Even with a single battery I love having a switch, and need to get one installed on my pontoon... turn it off and you simply don't have to worry about a drain... with the pontoon I will not even have to worry about making sure the bilge pump bypasses the switch...
Well said! Thanks.