Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
sarc

Default Bakeman Cabins/Roberts Cove beach and cottage history

My husband and I purchased the beach and cottage at the head of Roberts Cove 2 years ago. Since then we've spent a lot of time learning the history of the property and it's fascinating! It amazes us how important this little piece of property has been to families around the cove over the last 100+ years. We know that the property was bought from the Roberts family in 1889 and that there were 2 cabins on the property (uncertain if they were already there or if the Bakeman family built them after 1889). At some point after that, the cabins were connected to make the full cottage but we don't know when that was. We've been told that icecream was sold from the window near the beach and that the building was also a restaurant at some point. We also know that sometime after 1920 (or there about) the property was used as the Bakeman family summer home until it was sold to LRCT in 1999 and then to the Nemser family.

Thanks to the amazing old photos thread, we found the attached incredible picture of the property when there were 2 cabins present. Just wondering if anyone has any idea on the date of that picture, has any other historic pictures of the property, if any one can fill in some of the gaps in our information re the history of the place and/or share any stories of the property and the beach.

We love that property and get so excited about the history of it. Thanks for anything you can share!
Attached Images

sarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc View Post
My husband and I purchased the beach and cottage at the head of Roberts Cove 2 years ago. Since then we've spent a lot of time learning the history of the property and it's fascinating! It amazes us how important this little piece of property has been to families around the cove over the last 100+ years. We know that the property was bought from the Roberts family in 1889 and that there were 2 cabins on the property (uncertain if they were already there or if the Bakeman family built them after 1889). At some point after that, the cabins were connected to make the full cottage but we don't know when that was. We've been told that icecream was sold from the window near the beach and that the building was also a restaurant at some point. We also know that sometime after 1920 (or there about) the property was used as the Bakeman family summer home until it was sold to LRCT in 1999 and then to the Nemser family.

Thanks to the amazing old photos thread, we found the attached incredible picture of the property when there were 2 cabins present. Just wondering if anyone has any idea on the date of that picture, has any other historic pictures of the property, if any one can fill in some of the gaps in our information re the history of the place and/or share any stories of the property and the beach.

We love that property and get so excited about the history of it. Thanks for anything you can share!
Nice photographs.

I would say the top (black and white) photo was taken sometime in the 1940's. My guess is that the car looks like a car of WWII vintage.

Maybe someone can actually identify the make and model of the car, or even use the license plate to research what year the car is (assuming you can still track plates from 80 years ago). This is a very remote possibility, but you never know.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Barney Bear

Default Old Timer

The car in the old photo is, probably, a late 1930's sedan. 🐻
Barney Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

That was the main road in the old days. The "new" Alton road was built in 1965.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-29-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Barney Bear

Default "Ask the Man That Owns One"

Car is possibly a pre-war Packard [pointed grille]. 🐻
Old 07-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #7
ApS

Red face After a Long Search...

Robert's Cove Road is a loop-road, and a nice diversion. 'Road looks the same as the photo with Rattlesnake Island in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
The car in the old photo is, probably, a late 1930's sedan. 🐻
I'll go with a '36 through '38 "Trunk-back" Chevy or Buick.

A little further south, you come to "Old Wolfeboro Road" (Probably the original road I was driven to Melvin Village—'til it got "fixed").
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #8
StevenGilford

We know that June Bakeman was a past owner of the cottage. This clipping
from 1938 states that they were there 6 months of the year. So unless they had another home in East Alton, our best guess is that the 2 'cabins' were already connected to each other to form the 'cottage' by then.
Attached Images

StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Barney Bear

Default ? ? ?

And if you are bald, are you clueless?