Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
Jdarby

Default Snowblower Tune Up?

Looking for a recommendation for a shop that can give my Ariens snowblower a tune up. (Tighten belts, oil change, new plug, etc…) Preferably in the Moultonborough area and it would be great if they could come pick it up and return it when completed! Thanks in advance!
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
winni83

Mark Richter Repair
828 Whittier Highway
Moultonborough

(603) 476-2606

We have used them for seasonal tune up and repair. They do pick up and delivery.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:24 PM   #3
XCR-700

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
Looking for a recommendation for a shop that can give my Ariens snowblower a tune up. (Tighten belts, oil change, new plug, etc…) Preferably in the Moultonborough area and it would be great if they could come pick it up and return it when completed! Thanks in advance!
Good reminder for me to get this on my to do list!

After many years with a workhorse Craftsman that always needed some small but almost endless repairs, I bought a Honda.

So far the Honda has been amazing, but they all need maintenance.

Thanks for getting this on my radar.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:57 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Good reminder for me to get this on my to do list!

After many years with a workhorse Craftsman that always needed some small but almost endless repairs, I bought a Honda.

So far the Honda has been amazing, but they all need maintenance.

Thanks for getting this on my radar.
We upgraded from an '07 Craftsman at the end of last winter, and man was it difficult to say no to Honda—I just couldn't justify the extra $1k over my Ariens Pro. Other than straight reliability, how does your Honda perform?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:16 AM   #5
SAB1

Have had an Ariens for 20 years and never sent for maintenance. Changing the oil is about 10 mins and the spark plug 3 mins. Belt tensioner takes care of belts. Keep it well greased and stabilize fuel in off season.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ITD (12-26-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Have had an Ariens for 20 years and never sent for maintenance. Changing the oil is about 10 mins and the spark plug 3 mins. Belt tensioner takes care of belts. Keep it well greased and stabilize fuel in off season.
I applaud your DIY skills. I’ve never been too mechanically inclined! I did tackle changing one of the belts and it became a bigger pain in the a$$ than I had wanted! I know most certainly I could change the oil myself but I want a Pro to give it some TLC! Now if your heart stops or you stop breathing….that’s where I have a particular set of skills!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Lakeport Power Equipment, 143 Mechanic St, Laconia NH 03246

http://reviews.birdeye.com/lakeport-...49358708128791

Have never used Lakeport Power Equipment in Laconia but it has some good reviews that actually sound like they are from real customers and not just "ringer reviews" made up by the business owner to self-promote itself with a big phony, made-up review.

Anyone here ever bring their snow-blower to Keenan at Lakeport Power Equipment for snow-blower or lawn-mower repair? Mechanic St is one short block up back, up behind the big stop-light intersection of Elm St and Union Ave.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/catego...3235734957736/

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-23-2021 at 10:01 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
We upgraded from an '07 Craftsman at the end of last winter, and man was it difficult to say no to Honda—I just couldn't justify the extra $1k over my Ariens Pro. Other than straight reliability, how does your Honda perform?

Yes the cost was crazy high, I could have bought 2 replacements low end machines for what I paid.

That said it has been a flawless and solid machine. The battery start option may seem unnecessary but its sooooo nice.

Super happy with the unit, still not happy about the price ;-)
Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #9
XCR-700

Quote:
I applaud your DIY skills. I’ve never been too mechanically inclined! I did tackle changing one of the belts and it became a bigger pain in the a$$ than I had wanted! I know most certainly I could change the oil myself but I want a Pro to give it some TLC! Now if your heart stops or you stop breathing….that’s where I have a particular set of skills!

Having changed belts, cables, drive chain, friction wheel, ETC, Etc, etc I can tell you the belt change on my old Craftsman was SOB! Did it several times and it never got better ;-)

Oil change is within the ability of most people and rarely does anyone use them enough to need spark plugs, so for the first few years most machines need little work, but once they get older they can be a lot of work.

My Craftsmans motor was a beast and never let me down. At one point it started surging and I replaced the carb with a new one as it was like $10 more than the rebuild kit. The problem I ran into was endless small things failing. Belts were a regular item once it got older, then control cables, and just a bunch of small things like springs and friction wheel and such,,,

Its not rocket science to fix them, but it can be a real pain. Thank god for youtube videos, they can be a life saver as the manuals are often very lacking in detail ;-)
Old 08-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #10
lakeadoodle

Default Rude beyound belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Mark Richter Repair
828 Whittier Highway
Moultonborough

(603) 476-2606

We have used them for seasonal tune up and repair. They do pick up and delivery.
This guy was extremely rude to the customers that were there on the day we had our small engine tuned up. And, the rants were full of expletives.
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeadoodle View Post
This guy was extremely rude to the customers that were there on the day we had our small engine tuned up. And, the rants were full of expletives.
Well that is troubling. It looks like he’s got a lot of positive reviews on Google.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
Woody38

My snowblower is attached to my John Deere and there has never been any maintanance on either except a minor tune up on the tractor. Blower throws the snow a good 50 feet. Never use any additives but a little Marvel Mystery Oil into the gas. Never have a problem starting tractor or the push mower which I bought in 1991. I believe all the autos and the tractor, push mower start better and run smoother since I switched to Exon/Mobil fuel Autos have better acceleration and possibly better mileage. The one most driven getting 34 mpg on the highway.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
lakeadoodle

Quote:
Well that is troubling. It looks like he’s got a lot of positive reviews on Google.

If you do use him, would you let me know. I'll be in the market for an alternate repair shop. Thanks.
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeadoodle For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #14
winni83

Well, some may have not had a good experience, but we have used him for the past 9 years and have only had a pleasant experience. I suspect that he does not respond well to overbearing customers or someone who insists on immediate service. Our pick ups and deliveries have been timely, but definitely on his schedule. The one time we had an immediate problem just before a big storm, he came through.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #15
Loub52

Quote:
https://www.tricountype.com/

Closer to Meredith, so depending on what part of Moultonborough you’re in, it’s about a 40 minute drive. They will pick up and drop off and have a good parts department too.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeadoodle View Post
That was probably Mark’s brother! He is colorful but a great mechanic! Everyone has bad days.

I believe Mark is retiring. The real estate is for sale.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #17
kayaking1

Default Mark Richter repair

I also have used him in the past,,,,,,,nothing but great! Noticed the sign for sale, is he still open? I have a weed whacker to take over.......
kayaking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Ok, so I have two old snowblowers, a 2005 Ariens 824 and a 2010 Troybilt 2410, both are 24" small two-stage machines, big enough to clear a driveway for two cars, and both need some repairs. Plus, I actually got a third one, a Craftsman small single stage so that don't really count for nothing except it has a Honda engine?

Yesterday I left the Ariens at Lakeport Power Equipment, 143 Mechanic St, Laconia and was told there's a 2-3 week wait before he can get to it due to the huge number of snowblowers there, all needing similar repairs what with winter on the horizon now.

Expect I will fiddle & diddle with the Troy-Bilt, which has some type of carburetor float problem or water in the gasoline or something before I end up taking it to either Three Lakes Small Engine in Plymouth, or the Small Engine Barn in Plymouth.

Winter is not too far away?

Hey there John Mercier ...... you sound like you could fix this snowblower float problem on the Troybilt 2410 ....... what do you say, buddy-boy?

What other small engine repair service is out there .......can recall there's another home small engine business somewhere in Laconia or Plymouth as noticed in craigslist
but cannot locate it, at this time?

Did you know that former Gov Mike Dukakis-Massachusetts and 1988 presidential candidate is still using his 1962 Craftsman snowblower to do his driveway and walkway ........ how's about that ..... !..... and he is about age-88 ....... go-Mike-go! .... and there was a political ad with Mike operating this old Craftsman snowblower for when he ran against George Bush for president in 1988 ...... will attempt to locate and post the video with Mike and his old snowblower doing the snow out front his house. .....
Old 11-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #19
John Mercier

The Craftsman should be a Briggs unless someone changed it out.

The Troy will either be a Briggs or the newer LCT - many confuse the LCT with a Honda because LCT makes parts for the Honda engines.

If it is a Briggs, then they should have a rebuild kit... but you may just need carb cleaner. Only take the carb apart if the carb cleaner does not work.

If it is an LCT, there is no carb rebuild kit... thus why I used a spring from the ballpoint pen. The whole carb simply gets replaced.

I get mine at Belmont Hardware. They are good at what they do, but like everyone get buried during the seasonal changes.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #20
SteveO123

I have an 10 yr old Ariens 624 with a Briggs motor. It was bogging down, “hunting” and generally running poorly. I bought an entire replacement carburetor on Amazon for the grand sum of $14 and free shipping. 15 minute replacement job with a single wrench and screwdriver. Now It’s as good as new. Very simple, very easy.
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #21
DickR

Many small engine carburetor fouling problems can be avoided by proper use and storage procedures. Since use of a snowblower is weather-dependent, it can go extended times between uses. At the very least, one ought to use stabilizer in the gasoline. If the gasoline container isn't emptied often enough, put into your car's tank; that will be used regularly. Get fresh gasoline for the snowblower at the start of winter.

If possible, use ethanol-free gasoline for small engines. Look here for locations where it is available: https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/...p?statecode=NH The closest to me is the station on rte 25 in Moultonborough, just east of Redding Lane, although the map on the referenced site shows it (incorrectly) as being farther east on 25.

At the end of each use of the snowblower, turn off the gas supply valve and let the engine run out the fuel in the carburetor. However, not all snowblowers have a shutoff valve, so it might be useful to drain the carburetor manually. I had been having enough problems with my boat engine's carburetor that last year I finally installed a shutoff valve. When I go to pull the boat at the end of the season, I close that valve as I approach the shallow water near the ramp, and the the engine runs out the fuel in the bowl. I also have taken to using ethanol-free gasoline in the shoulder seasons, when the boat isn't used much. Still, I add stabilizer to the tank in the fall.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #22
John Mercier

HOOAI?

After the LCT, the Tecumseh is one of the most distributed small engines.
It would make sense that they would manufacture an aftermarket carb for that engine.

The rebuild kit is four or five bucks, and Dave tends to have them in-stock at Sanel's.

Even on the LCT, I soaked the parts... used RTV to create a new gasket and kept it as a back-up should the new one fail.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #23
Water Camper

Default Lakeport Power Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Lakeport Power Equipment, 143 Mechanic St, Laconia NH 03246

http://reviews.birdeye.com/lakeport-...49358708128791

Have never used Lakeport Power Equipment in Laconia but it has some good reviews that actually sound like they are from real customers and not just "ringer reviews" made up by the business owner to self-promote itself with a big phony, made-up review.

Anyone here ever bring their snow-blower to Keenan at Lakeport Power Equipment for snow-blower or lawn-mower repair? Mechanic St is one short block up back, up behind the big stop-light intersection of Elm St and Union Ave.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/catego...3235734957736/
I have been using Lakeport Power Equipment for many years for all of my small engine work, Lawnmowers, snow blowers, weed wackers etc. Keinan is excellent and honest, although he can get quite busy as he is a one man shop.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Oh yeah ..... Keenan was this one guy surrounded by a field of all orange and red snowblowers, everywhere, plus one green snowblower that must have been a John Deere.

And, I always thought that nothing runs like a Deere, so why it needs repair?
Old 11-19-2021, 08:34 AM   #25
phoenix

i brought a lawnmower in to Marks shop a couple of years ago. they said three weeks. then 4 then 5 and each time i went back the brother yelled with a lot of choice words that he was too busy. After 6 weeks i took it back and two years later it still runs. i have decided i would buy a new one rather than go there again .
Old 11-19-2021, 08:58 AM   #26
Water Camper

Smile Lakeport Power Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Oh yeah ..... Keenan was this one guy surrounded by a field of all orange and red snowblowers, everywhere, plus one green snowblower that must have been a John Deere.

And, I always thought that nothing runs like a Deere, so why it needs repair?
Les,
It sounds like you've been there, I would imagine Keinan probably didn't know what to do with all your noodles holding your machine together ! Lol

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #27
RUGMAN

looking at a used Ariens 824 and a Troy-built any thoughts
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #28
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
Ariens is "The King of Snow".

Troy-Bilt is "Built for Life".

If they ever merge and team up to make a snowblower together it should become either "The King of Life" or "Built for Snow"?

"The King of Life" sounds best for marketing a snowblower in New Hampshire. ...
Old 12-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #29
8gv

Quote:
I had the 824 for about ten trouble free years before I sold it.

Now I write a check to the guy who does my driveway for me.

I highly recommend it.

Writing the check that is…
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Ariens or Troy-Bilt or any used snowblower ..... if it needs fix'n beyond what you can do yourself ..... take that used snowblower to dis guy ..... https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...3235734957736/ in the beautiful City of Laconia or buy a new 24" www.worldlawn.com/snow-throwers/ from him.

Hey ..... a snowblower is a snowblower is a snowblower and the only thing that matters is it starts and works and doesn't get stolen like down in Massachusetts! .....

Does the snow ever last more than one day in New York City before it all melts? What the heck do they even know about ...... https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-snow-blowers/

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-27-2021 at 09:18 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:15 PM   #31
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:

Take a look at the Hondas. They offer "track drive" as an option.

Big money but bullet proof!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:18 AM   #32
John Mercier

I think most of the units offer track drive and hydrostatic transmissions in the higher series.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:19 AM   #33
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

There's not a lot of Troy-Bilt gear that I would own these days, so, unless it's in much better shape and has some important features, I'd definitely choose the Ariens.

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #34
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
There's not a lot of Troy-Bilt gear that I would own these days, so, unless it's in much better shape and has some important features, I'd definitely choose the Ariens.
Troy Built is just another rebranded MTD.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #35
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I love my Troy-built

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Troy Built is just another rebranded MTD.
I love my Troy-built Vortex 2890 3 stage. My driveway is at least 6 cars wide at the street and the 3 stage chews up the snowbanks really well. It is easily started, with or without using the electric start. Heated grips are a plus. Only negative for me is the joystick auger control. Much rather have the crank control.

Dave
Old 12-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #36
fatlazyless

So I keep and maintain, very loosely speaking, two snowblowers, ages 10 and 15 years old, so this way I usually have at least one that is working!

For $14.36 I just ordered a brand new replacement carburetor that includes a primer bulb, gaskets, and some short length of vinyl gasoline line for a Model #31AS62N2711 Troy-Bilt 24" snowblower from Ebay.

You Tube videos has a www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK5m9iTxR4U&t=429s by Johnson's Small Engines, Pennsylvania, a small engine guy who apparently lost his left hand, somehow, and is good with instructive videos.

Is due here on January 6 ..... and this carburetor problem first started last March on the same morning that I crashed through the lake ice in three feet depth...... why I have two snowblowers! .....

If this guy, Johnson, can replace the carburetor with just one hand, then I should definitely be able to do it with two hands. ....
Old 12-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #37
John Mercier

It isn't hard.
Removing the cosmetic cover is usually the hardest part of the process; always seems to be a hidden fastener.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #38
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Snowblowers

Had a 24" Snapper since 1985. What a workhorse. I'm getting a little older and it's getting harder to 'manhandle' the machine, so someone convinces me to get a bigger machine. I bought a 26" Arien from Lowes in Gilford. Been having problems from the start. Belt slippage, differential, etc. Lowes does not service what they sell and Ariens directed me to MB Tractors in Tilton. Still had problems but the warrantee paid the repairs. It's a pain to load up and travel to Tilton.
After the 3-year warranty expired, it is not fixed. A call to Ariens and basically they say it should have been fixed. Oh well.
I'm back to the old reliable Snapper. I gave the Ariens to my son-in-law who is a handyman. $800 loss. He attempted repair by replacing the differential with aftermarket and adding a stronger belt tensioner. Less than $100. It's been working fine since. He asks me if I want it back. No thanks, I'll keep the Snapper.
I usually maintain my lawn equipment on my workbench, but if I have problems, I look for a dealer. If it's too far out of the way, I had good luck with Tri-County on Messer St in Laconia.