Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Ridgefarmer63

Talking Ice Conditions

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the forum, first post. A lot of interesting, informative discussion in here.
I live in New Durham and are planning on snowmobiling this Saturday out to my bro's place on Carr Island. We plan on getting to the lake at either Roberts Cove or Alton bay. Any info on lake conditions, pressure ridges', slush, traffic already existing etc. from Alton to Carr Island?
I have been riding sleds all my life (long time... see "63" in name) but the person i'm riding with is new to the sport and I don't want to put her or me in a questionable spot.

Thanks, and think snow.
Ridgefarmer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Ridgefarmer63

Talking Ice Conditions

Dow island, not Carr.

Iron defieciency, sorry.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Lakegeezer

There was a good bit of wind with the last storm, so open areas lost some of the cover. On Thursday, I walked out to where a few (and only a few) snowmobiles made tracks. Once out there - I dug down to the ice and found it solid. No slush. Walking back was a different story. Slush had filled in my footprints and the snow got deeper as I got near the shoreline, protected from the wind. It could be tough sledding. It is unlikely you will go through the ice if you stay away from the shorelines and rocks - but it is also likely you will be mired in slush if you don't keep up the speed in the coves and protected areas. Hopefully a lot of sleds will be out this weekend and we'll have lots of tracks of packed snow as travel lanes before the next big storm hits.
Ridgefarmer63 (02-08-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
wadden

Thanks, Lakegeezer. On what part of the lake were you walking? Wondering about ice conditions in Braun Bay/Center Harbor. Has anyone ventured out in that direction since the storm?
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Ridgefarmer63

Talking Ice Conditions

Thanks, Lakegeezer. Guess we'll keep it close to the handlebar.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgefarmer63 View Post
Thanks, Lakegeezer. Guess we'll keep it close to the handlebar.
Please let us know how your trip goes and what ice conditions you experience.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
hazelnut

Just went from Suissevale up through Greens Basin and there were plenty of hard packed tracks to follow. I went off trail on the lake and found myself in some deep powder but I did not bog down in any slush. Kanasatka was good as well. I did not venture out into Center Harbor but it looked somewhat tracked up. Last weekend there was a bit of slush in Blacky's Cove. Braun bay was good last weekend near Far Echo. Conditions were good. I am sure by mid day Saturday things will be good for travel on a fair amount of the lake.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Cobalt (02-04-2011), Lakegeezer (02-04-2011), Ridgefarmer63 (02-08-2011), secondcurve (02-04-2011), SPT13 (02-05-2011), trfour (02-04-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Ridgefarmer63

Talking

We went from Roberts Cove up to Long Island, back to 19 mile bay and onto Dow island. The way home in the snow, took us from Dow island to Alton Bay via Elacoya.

Elacoya was not intended, dark and snow got us a little discombobulated, so we followed the west side of the lake down to A bay.

Conditions were a little slushy on the northeast side and better towards the bay as there were a lot more packed runs.

Wild ride home, a little scary but a fair amount of sled traffic was out there with us.

Bring on the derby !
Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgefarmer63 View Post
We went from Roberts Cove up to Long Island, back to 19 mile bay and onto Dow island. The way home in the snow, took us from Dow island to Alton Bay via Elacoya.

Elacoya was not intended, dark and snow got us a little discombobulated, so we followed the west side of the lake down to A bay.

Conditions were a little slushy on the northeast side and better towards the bay as there were a lot more packed runs.

Wild ride home, a little scary but a fair amount of sled traffic was out there with us.

Bring on the derby !

Are there any open parts of the lake now?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Ridgefarmer63

Talking

I definetly am not an expert on the lake, but I don't believe there are any open spots left. We didn't see any.

Drove up west side of lake on route 11 and it looked like a fair number of sleds are venturing out towards the broads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ridgefarmer63 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-06-2011)