Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2024, 08:30 AM   #1
chachee52

Default Disappointed in Gunstock

I will start with I learned to ski at Gunstock and love the mountain.
I now have a 7yo and want him to start skiing. Tried to figure out how much it was going to cost us to bring him to the Bunny Slop and found out that he has to pay for a full priced ticket. There is no lower mountain passes like there used to be when I started. Lessons? Well only happen during the day during the week, and we go south to visit people on weekend (opposite of what we used to do now that we live up here). So we'd have to pull him from school if we want lessons. Asked about group lessons and was told that we would have to bring the group, they don't just put him into a group lesson like other mountains do.
So basically we have to pay $52 to take him after school (night prices) for him to go on the bunny slope for 1-2 hours. $80 if we do go on a weekend or Sunday. My wife has a season pass so that makes it a little easier on the wallet.
I'm just surprised that they aren't as beginner friendly as they used to be.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-10-2024), Biggd (02-10-2024), BroadHopper (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 09:00 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Sign of the times?

The 'big' mountains are taking advantage of teaching future generations of skiers. The way I see it, It's sustainability. They shouldn't have to take advantage.

I notice many parents are taking their kids elsewhere like Pat's Peak or Ragged Mountain. My daughter used to come up on weekends to ski from Conn. She found out it's cheaper to take the wee ones to Southington as their ski packages are a lot cheaper!

Just recently she found Mt. Snow in Vermont has an affordable package for her family. They are planning a few days there. They used to ski Gunstock.

I also found the Gunstock Ski Club race program a bit egoistic. Ever notice the 'graduates' are not doing well is future events?
Old 02-10-2024, 09:04 AM   #3
John Mercier

Email the GAC...

They are probably a little worried about profitability to deal with all the other political issues... but know that if the locals have their back... they can expand or improve services.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 10:50 AM   #4
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Email the GAC...

They are probably a little worried about profitability to deal with all the other political issues... but know that if the locals have their back... they can expand or improve services.
Agreed! I would guess this is more of an error/oversight than a calculated plan to increase profitability. Not saying that don't want to maximize profit, only that their revenues/profits would be higher with a power price point for your situation.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:03 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The 'big' mountains are taking advantage of teaching future generations of skiers. The way I see it, It's sustainability. They shouldn't have to take advantage.

I notice many parents are taking their kids elsewhere like Pat's Peak or Ragged Mountain. My daughter used to come up on weekends to ski from Conn. She found out it's cheaper to take the wee ones to Southington as their ski packages are a lot cheaper!

Just recently she found Mt. Snow in Vermont has an affordable package for her family. They are planning a few days there. They used to ski Gunstock.

I also found the Gunstock Ski Club race program a bit egoistic. Ever notice the 'graduates' are not doing well is future events?
Even though I'm 15 minutes from Gunstock my daughter takes the kids to Cranmore, much more kid friendly.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-11-2024)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2024, 11:24 AM   #6
fatlazyless

King Pine, located between Wolfeboro and Conway, NH ..... www.kingpine.com/the-mountain/live-camera ...... looks like it is designed for young beginner skiers.

"It All Starts Here" , their motto, means this is where young skiers go to learn skiing (or snowboarding).
Old 02-10-2024, 11:50 AM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Agreed--contact your state reps. They have a second job as County Delegation.

It's been a long time since I did kid skiing, but there used to be a staff member who marketed group sales. Can you get together a group e.g. School ski club, and get a group rate and or group lesson?. I recall areas had day care that included a lesson in the AM and one in the PM. The "class" was whoever was in the day care. I share the disappointment if Gunstock is neglecting its role as a family ski area with special services for the owners: Belknap County taxpayers.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #8
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Agreed! I would guess this is more of an error/oversight than a calculated plan to increase profitability. Not saying that don't want to maximize profit, only that their revenues/profits would be higher with a power price point for your situation.
Not really what I was inferring.

Last season was highly profitable. Normally they would reinvest in things like this. But as our county legislators are rallying to once more go after the profits of the current operation... rather than seek to expand it and see greater future profits through reinvestment... the GAC may be waiting for residents to put forth their vision in areas like this. That way they know that this reinvestment of funds is fully supported and can push back.
Old 02-10-2024, 06:34 PM   #9
Poor Richard

Pats Peak or what about Tenney Mtn?
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:40 PM   #10
magicrobotmonkey

I've got 3 kids in Laconia schools (this year we have 3 kids in 3 schools) and we've taken advantage of the Gunstock outreach program for many years. It's a great partnership with local schools to get kids out on the slopes and in lessons (in spite of some older one's protests) at reasonable price points. No complaints on our part. There's nothing like helping to chaperone the elementary school ski program and hiking up the hill under the light to pull a kid out of the woods to really live local skiing!
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magicrobotmonkey For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 07:22 AM   #11
chachee52

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking into Tenney, Ragged, or even driving back to meet some friends at MacIntyre in Manchester.
I would assume all the groups at school are already full and taken. My kid is a little slow to new things so doing 1 on 1 with him for the first couple times is the best way for him or he goes into "lock down mode".
Old 02-11-2024, 12:09 PM   #12
John Mercier

Well, whichever path you choose I hope all goes well.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:55 AM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We are looking into Tenney, Ragged, or even driving back to meet some friends at MacIntyre in Manchester.
I would assume all the groups at school are already full and taken. My kid is a little slow to new things so doing 1 on 1 with him for the first couple times is the best way for him or he goes into "lock down mode".
King Pine is an amazing mountain to learn on!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:35 AM   #14
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I will start with I learned to ski at Gunstock and love the mountain.
I now have a 7yo and want him to start skiing. Tried to figure out how much it was going to cost us to bring him to the Bunny Slop and found out that he has to pay for a full priced ticket. There is no lower mountain passes like there used to be when I started. Lessons? Well only happen during the day during the week, and we go south to visit people on weekend (opposite of what we used to do now that we live up here). So we'd have to pull him from school if we want lessons. Asked about group lessons and was told that we would have to bring the group, they don't just put him into a group lesson like other mountains do.
So basically we have to pay $52 to take him after school (night prices) for him to go on the bunny slope for 1-2 hours. $80 if we do go on a weekend or Sunday. My wife has a season pass so that makes it a little easier on the wallet.
I'm just surprised that they aren't as beginner friendly as they used to be.
Gunstock has an Intro to Ski package right on their website. Its $140 and you book it online. They run it seven days a week. It includes rentals, a group lesson and a lower mountain pass. The calendar lists the number of open slots available, you do need to book in advance to secure a spot.

https://estore.gunstock.com/intro-to-ski-package

My son did it 2 weeks ago.

Pats Peak, King Pine and Cranmore are all within an hour of us in Gilford as alternatives. We can be at Waterville or Loon in about the same, but I would not recommend for beginners. Just too busy.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:19 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Moultonborough used to have a program for kids at Red Hill.
A small but steep little hill with a rope tow but lots of fun for the kids and once they learned Red Hill they could ski anywhere.
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
jbolty (02-15-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #16
bigdog

Default Ragged Mtn

Don't Pou-pou 'Ragged Mtn' in Danbury, it's a great little family Mtn, but still has 1200' vertical feet.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:33 PM   #17
chachee52

I have been to all the mountains listed, excepts King Pine never heard of that one. And like all of them. It was more of I'm 6 minutes away from Gunstock so would have been nicer to go there after school rather than driving an hour both ways after school to teach the kid to ski.
But good news, he had a MD appointment on Monday that got cancelled because the MD was sick so my wife and him went to Gunstock, she used her 1/2 off ticket for him, and he loved it and was a natural.