Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Water Pressure issue ?

This morning I noticed that the water pressure at the kitchen sink faucet seems very low for some reason? The bathroom sink faucet in the next room appears to be fine and very strong pressure.

I checked the pressure in my holding tank and it reads 40psi. exactly where it should be.

The low kitchen faucet pressure just started noticing today?
I had installed a brand new hose and sprayer head on the faucet a few weeks ago so that couldn't be the issue. I checked all hoses under the sink and they don't appear tangled or crimped. And 'yes', the valve shut-offs are fully in the 'on' position.

What could possibly be causing this low-pressure ?

Last edited by bigdog; 12-12-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spell
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Things to check

Does the sprayer work OK? There might be grit clogging the screen of the faucet. If that's not it, dig deeper into the project that you just did. Perhaps a washer is crimped. Take it apart and put it back together. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Residue

The could be residue caught up in the spout at the kitchen sink. Some spots have a fixture that can be unscrewed and the screen that's in the can be cleaned off. Cheapest and easiest check.

Dave
Old 12-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
8gv

My kitchen faucet has some sort of shuttle valve that operates when you use the separate sprayer.

I hear it make a knocking sound like a steel ball bearing in a metal chamber.

Occasionally it will knock and no water will come out of either of them.

In that case I simply shut off the faucet and all goes back to normal .

I reported this to the manufacturer and they sold (grrrrrr) me a part.

This issue was so critically important that the new part still sits on my workbench two years later.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
8gv

If you have a quarter turn valve on the supply line under the sink it may have been inadvertently turned.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
If you have a quarter turn valve on the supply line under the sink it may have been inadvertently turned.
I did turn the water valves back and forth a bit, and the water and pressure seem to be coming out faster..... FYI, The valves are the type you can open and close with half turn.

Do you think this is a valve issue ? The house is only 17 yrs old.
FYI, The valves are the type you can open and close with half turn.

Thoughts ?
Old 12-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
bigdog

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I did turn the water valves back and forth a bit, and the water and pressure seem to be coming out faster..... FYI, The valves are the type you can open and close with half turn.

Do you think this is a valve issue ? The house is only 17 yrs old.
FYI, The valves are the type you can open and close with half turn.

Thoughts ?

False alarm, faucet back to original issue, low pressure,
Checked bath faucet next room and flowing fine.
Really has me confused ???
Old 12-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Gremlins. We all have them

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #9
8gv

What brand faucet is it?

The big names have an 800# help line.

I'd bet they have heard it all before and might have an answer for you.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

If it's only in this one faucet, it's almost definite that it's a small clog. Unscrew the head and spray it out in another sink.

This happened to us a year ago, and we found a small piece of crystal or something had made its way into a new faucet head.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
If it's only in this one faucet, it's almost definite that it's a small clog. Unscrew the head and spray it out in another sink.

This happened to us a year ago, and we found a small piece of crystal or something had made its way into a new faucet head.

The new installed 'American Standard' hose and faucet head came as one piece.
Apparently, the company made changes to engineering of this assembly, and made it so the head cannot be unscrewed from the hose like the original was made.

I'm thinking it 'may not' be the hose itself, but maybe the connector piece which connects the replacement hose with the old hose under the sink which connects to the water supply. Going to call-back American Standard and explain all, to see what they think.

Will report back when all is working again.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #12
TheProfessor

Quote:
and made it so the head cannot be unscrewed from the hose like the original was made.
There is cheap China junk. Better China junk.

Even domestic brands make about 3 grades - to meet price points.

American Standard, Delta, Kohler - all make different subsets. Some are imported junk while others are domestic top quality - and some in between.

Guess today. One has to do some homework. Check reviews. (some reviews can be faked today). But do read up.

Thought I did fine years ago when I purchased a Price Pfister kitchen faucet with a lifetime warranty. It did work fine all of the time but the chrome wore off. And the chrome is not covered by the lifetime warranty.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #13
root1

Buyer be ware:
Many (most?) manufacturers will produce an item at a lower cost (ie less quality) to meet cost requirements set by big retail vendors like Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

In these cases, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck .... it isn't necessarily a duck! Today's consumer has to be very savvy to catch the retailer at these games!

As an example, an Ariens snow-blower of a given capacity sold at HD is definitely not the same machine as sold at your full-service independent retailer.
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
Buyer be ware:
Many (most?) manufacturers will produce an item at a lower cost (ie less quality) to meet cost requirements set by big retail vendors like Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

In these cases, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck .... it isn't necessarily a duck! Today's consumer has to be very savvy to catch the retailer at these games!

As an example, an Ariens snow-blower of a given capacity sold at HD is definitely not the same machine as sold at your full-service independent retailer.
While I know that's a possibility, I think it's far more common (and economical) to have different lines rather than making completely different machines. For example, Ariens has the "Classic," "Deluxe," "Platinum," and "Pro" lines, among others, but the top couple tiers are only found at independent dealers.

I think it's also important to note that the same thing can happen in reverse. I found what FW Webb was selling at Lowe's for much less moolah.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
bigdog

I just got off the phone with American Standard and explained my problem, and they said that most water pressure issues are related to the cartridge in the handle. Apparently, this get clogged with sediment over time, and slows the water pressure.

They are sending me a new cartridge to install.
Will circle back to report if this fixes the issue.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #16
MDoug

Default Clogged Faucet

We had the same problem, resolved with a new faucet. Probably will install a new house filter. We get our water from the lake pump.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #17
TheTimeTraveler

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new faucet if I couldn't unscrew the tip at the point where the water comes out.

I clean this at least once a year or whenever the pressure is reduced, and I always manage to find some minuscule grain of sand (I take water out of the lake).
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
swnoel

Quote:
This morning I noticed that the water pressure at the kitchen sink faucet seems very low for some reason? The bathroom sink faucet in the next room appears to be fine and very strong pressure.

I checked the pressure in my holding tank and it reads 40psi. exactly where it should be.

The low kitchen faucet pressure just started noticing today?
I had installed a brand new hose and sprayer head on the faucet a few weeks ago so that couldn't be the issue. I checked all hoses under the sink and they don't appear tangled or crimped. And 'yes', the valve shut-offs are fully in the 'on' position.

What could possibly be causing this low-pressure ?
40psi? I'm assuming you have a well... it's either 50/30 or 60/40 unless someone has customized it for you. Also if the expansion tank has developed a leak in the bladder you'd short cycle the pump creating a rapid drop of pressure. I'm guessing since you only had the problem in one location it's not the expansion tank. One other thing you can check is the aerator on the faucet to make sure nothing is in it.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
DotRat (12-21-2021)