Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Money is main obstacle as solution to Meredith traffic woes nears Consensus

from the Laconia Daily Sun
Quote:
Published Date Tuesday, 19 November 2013 02:53
MEREDITH — Improvements Routes 3 and 25, including the junction of the two, to ease the flow of traffic through the center of town could get underway by 2017, according to a schedule presented by officials of the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (DOT) to the Board of Selectmen at a workshop yesterday.
The so-called US3/NH25 project began in 2005 with the aim of moving traffic in "a slow, steady, safe efficient manner," mitigating congestion, while configuring the corridor to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists and promoting the local economy, preserving the natural environment and highlighting the cultural assets of the community. Initially the scope of the project reached some four miles from the junction of Route 3 and Rte. 104 through the intersection Rte. 3 and Rte. 25 and along Rte. 25 to the Center Harbor town line.
Between 2006 and 2009, personnel from DOT, together with an advisory committee of local officials and residents, held 26 meetings and solicited public comment, exploring what Gene McCarthy of McFarland Johnson, a consulting engineer, called "anything and everything that could possibly be considered." In a report, issued in 2009, the myriad of alternatives were winnowed down to a number of preferred options.
Since then, McCarthy explained, for want of sufficient funding the scope of the project has been reduced to the stretch between the junction of Rte. 3 and Rte. 104 to the intersection of Rte. 25 and Pleasant Street, with the US3/NH25 intersection the centerpiece of the project.
"It's a smaller, confined project," he said. The next step will be to select the preferred alternative.
Don Lyford of DOT told the board that the current budget for the project is $5 million, with federal funds representing 80 percent of the total. He said that "the finite amount of funding" would shape the scale of the project.
The report presented four options corresponding to the reduced scope of the project. Three would add a center left-turn to Rte. 3. One would upgrade the traffic signal at Routes 3 and 104 and construct two-lane roundabouts at Routes 3 and 25 and Rte. 25 and Pleasant Street while another would construct single-lane roundabouts at both locations. A third option would include a two-lane roundabout at Routes 3 and 104 as well as at Routes 3 and 24 and Rte. 25 and Pleasant Street. With the fourth option, Rte. 3 would remain a two-lane highway with seven roundabouts — at Rte. 104, Terrace Avenue, Mill Street, Church Landing, Lake Street, Rte. 25 and Pleasant Street.
McCarthy said that while a one-lane roundabout at Routes 3 and 25 could be constructed with minimal impact on surrounding property, a two-lane roundabout would impact all four quadrants, including two buildings on the northern corners of the intersection, but provide greater capacity to ease the bottleneck.
"One lane roundabout doesn't accomplish anything," said selectman Lou Kahn, who questioned if there was enough money in the budget to acquire the necessary land. McCarthy said that apart from reconfiguring the intersection of Routes 3 and 25, the project required little land acquisition. In particular, he said that a third lane could be added to Rte. 3 within the state-owned corridor with only minimal takings.
At the recommendation of the DOT, the Selectboard agreed to convene an advisory committee of nine consisting of the town manager, community development director, a member of the Planning Board, one selectman, representatives of the Greater Meredith Program and Chamber of Commerce and three residents to work with DOT on selecting a final plan by 2014. DOT anticipates the design to be completed by 2016 and construction to begin the following year. Originally the more expansive project was scheduled to begin in 2012.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Pineedles

I have no trouble navigating from 25 to 104. Just take 25B to 3 to Waukewan Rd to Winona Rd to 104. If it is in anyway going to be congested in Meredith, this longer route is faster. No problem and no money has to be spent.

I should be in government. NOT!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-29-2014), jetlag100 (11-20-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I have no trouble navigating from 25 to 104. Just take 25B to 3 to Waukewan Rd to Winona Rd to 104. If it is in anyway going to be congested in Meredith, this longer route is faster. No problem and no money has to be spent.

I should be in government. NOT!

Shhhhh, if too many people learn this it will be worse than Meridith.

I think round abouts will be a disaster with the amount of traffic that use these intersections in the summer. I think a by-pass from the top of the hill on 25, near the high school, around to the west of downtown Meredith, to 104 is the answer and would shunt 80% of the thru traffic out of the area.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-29-2014)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Shhhhh, if too many people learn this it will be worse than Meridith.

I think round abouts will be a disaster with the amount of traffic that use these intersections in the summer. I think a by-pass from the top of the hill on 25, near the high school, around to the west of downtown Meredith, to 104 is the answer and would shunt 80% of the thru traffic out of the area.
I agree 100%. I remember Laconia before the bypass and Rte 3 through Laconia was hell. Meredith needs a bypass.

By the way, the Laconia bypass was never finished. It was supposed to continue to the Weirs. I'm glad it didn't as the Weirs will be a disaster. Where it ends near Rte 11 is perfect!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
loony

Roundabouts alone will not solve the problem. Pedestrian traffic also needs to be addressed. I have often noticed that cars are waiting at green lights to turn left from rt25, waiting for pedestrians to cross rt3 at the boat ramp, or in front of the town docks.
I remember reading the research documents a while ago, and a pedestrian tunnel or bridge was proposed. What happened to that? if that doesn't happen, then a bypass should be considered.

Last edited by loony; 11-20-2013 at 07:26 AM.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loony For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-21-2013), inquiring one (11-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Building a decorative garden in the new roundabout center circle with a great-big huge, granite & cement, artist's replica of the Old Man of the Mountain would do it up good! You know ..... Paris has their www.arcdetriompheparis.com .... and Meredith will have a two lane roundabout with the Old Man in the middle .... Viva La Meredith! .... and place the new Meredith roundabout on the map!

Plus, building an Old Man of the Mountain commemorative replica in the roundabout center can be done with volunteer money contributions or donated individual money after the new two-lane roundabout is built by the NH-Dept of Transportation. Just imagine that great big intersection as a two-lane roundabout that has no traffic stoplights ....... viva la Meredith "Old Man of the Mountain" roundabout!

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old...f_the_Mountain

While the relatively new roundabout at Weirs Beach is pretty ugly, the Meredith roundabout up top of sunset hill is very attractive. So, what's the difference? The poured concrete inner concentric circle of smooth concrete at Weirs Beach is just plain ugly compared to the granite blocks used in Meredith. Lord only knows what they were thinking down at the Laconia technical roundabout review board when they decided to go with smooth concrete?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-20-2013 at 08:23 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
jetlag100

No way, they're all ugly!
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Default Fll

I think FLL is saying if they 'fancy up' the roundabouts they will need to hire a maintenance man. They can hire FLL if they get around to it!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
Although many of us use the roundabout with some ease all are a disaster for trucks. Just view the curb stones.

A roundabout at route 3/25 would be a disaster. Never mind the multiple properties that would have to be torn down. With loss of tax revenue to the town of Meredith.

A bypass behind the high school is the smartest way. But being smart will not prevent the roundabout advocates to pursue their more roundabouts desires.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
mcdude

Laconia Daily Sun 9/19/14

Quote:
MEREDITH — An advisory committee working with the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (DOT) to improve the flow of traffic through the U.S. Route 3/N.H. Route 25 corridor yesterday rejected two options under consideration but couldn't reach a consensus on what option it will recommend.
Pressed by Selectman Lou Kahn, who chairs the committee, to reach a decision in time for public hearings to be held on whatever plan emerges before selectmen finalize the proposed town budget, only two members of the committee indicated that they were prepared to action one of the three options Kahn says the group faces.
He said that those options included a single-lane roundabout at the Rte. 3-25 intersection, a new intermediate traffic signal at the intersection, or taking no action at all.
In the hope of speeding up the process, Kahn has called for the next meeting of the committee to be held on Thursday, October 9 at 3 p.m.
The committee, which last month had rejected a proposal for a two-lane roundabout which planners from McFarland Johnson, Inc., project manager for DOT, had recommended, deep sixed two other options yesterday.
One was for a bypass which would consist of a new two-lane, one-way road carrying westbound traffic on Rte. 25 from its intersection with Pleasant Street across Hawkins Brook to Rte. 3, north of the US3/NH25 intersection, where a roundabout would be constructed south of the sewer pump station. The other was for a pedestrian tunnel across Rte. 3 from the Mills Falls Marketplace Dover Street parking lot to Hesky Park.
Gene McCarthy of McFarland Johnson, Inc., had recently told the committee the bypass plan had serious traffic flow flaws and would reduce the number of spaces in parking lots owned by the town and Meredith Village Savings Bank by half, as well as requiring significant environmental mitigation.
He told the committee yesterday that the proposed pedestrian tunnel would have to be 13 feet below Rte. 3 and would require relocation of both water and sewer lines. It would also have been eight feet below the level of Lake Winnipesaukee and require sump pumps to keep it dry.
The tunnel would also have been much longer than the distance across Rte. 3 as it would have had to meet federal standards which require a landing for every 18 inches of steps in a series of switchback ramps and would have had to be maintained by the town, including snow removal.
The adverse report prompted Rusty McLear of Hampshire Hospitality Holdings, who had suggested the idea of a tunnel be studied, to say ''that was really dumb idea,'' drawing a laugh from other committee members.
The options which remain under consideration include a single-lane roundabout, which the committee had asked to be designed so that it didn't encroach on the Bootleggers property at the intersection, and an intermediate traffic signal.
McCarthy said that the one option for the roundabout would require taking some of the Zachy's Pizzeria property and that the roundabout would be difficult to align with Main Street. It is also likely that, even if a slip lane to the north is built, it will not improve the current situation.
He said that traffic models through 2035 show that the roundabout will be overwhelmed by the growth in traffic over that time while a signalized intersection will handle traffic better. The traffic signal approach would require construction of a slip lane and a fifth eastbound lane which might encroach on the Inn at Bay point property as well as Scenic Park along Rte. 25.
Other options still under consideration include pedestrian traffic lights on Rte. 3 near Dover Street as well as a possible roundabout or traffic light at Pleasant Street which would prevent left hand turns onto Rte. 25 from the Hannaford parking lot and improve traffic flow.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Redbarn

I don't think the tunnel ideas is so terrible it just needs a unique set of eyes. I am sure there is more to it and I litterly just thought of this. but a natural place for a tunnel is with the bridge, all the utilities are sucked up towards asphalt grade and they are insulated. I am sure that bridge will need reconstruction at some point so why not raise the grade 5-6 feet or what ever would be required. Give it a nice arch, maybe a York bridge to look like a old covered wood bridge. And have the tunnel just be a man bridge under the bridge near the conveniently some what consistent water height. The Ada problem is solved on the lake side since the path there is so close to that grade any way and on the other side it could be integrated into the bridge abutment.
Attached Images

Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
wynndog

Default traffic

Just let the same group that's been working on rt. 93 do it!
Like the traffic there, Wolfeboro or any tourist attraction in
the state,year after year it gets more busy but everyone
wants THEIR area to be unchanged.Like DC gridlock
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:57 AM   #13
hockeypuck

Default Traffic

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
Rusty

Looking at your sketch it seems like this might work. Have a slow incline to the bridge and then have the bridge arch over the tunnel.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
dpg

A roundabout there will be a disaster on a Sunday afternoon when you have a constant flow of traffic working through it heading out of Center Harbor. Other people trying to enter the flow will be kept out as their beeped at by cars behind them wishing they would "just go!" Maybe what's there now isn't ideal but the lights at least make some cars stop so others can go. I'm for re-routing traffic totally away from that intersection and giving a second alternative if it's possible. I also take my chances with 25B from time to time. I try to gauge how Meredith will be from the backup at the Red Hil Dari lights. When that's all backed up you know Meredith will be a disaster. The preferred option is to go home Monday at around noon time.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
mcdude

Default Not one.....but THREE rotaries!!

Laconia Daily Sun

Quote:
Meredith 3/25 panel opts for series of 3 roundabouts

MEREDITH — The Advisory Committee of local stakeholders working with the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (DOT) to improve the flow of traffic through the center of town yesterday unanimously decided to recommend construction of three roundabouts along the U.S. Route 3/N.H. Route 25 corridor through the center of town.
The roundabouts would be built at the junctions of U.S. Route 3 and Lake Street, U.S. Route 3 and N.H. Route 25 and U.S. Route 25 and Pleasant Street. All three would be single-lane roundabout to minimize the impact on surrounding private properties. However, the critical roundabout at the junction of U.S. Route 3 and N.H. Route 25 would have two right-hand turning lanes to hasten the flow of northbound traffic eastbound toward Center Harbor.
The Advisory Committee, which will report its recommendations to the Board of Selectmen in January, has been meeting each month since March. In the course of studying any number of plans the committee found that those projected to most hasten the flow traffic also had most adverse impact on downtown properties.
Gene McCarthy of MacFarland Johnson, Inc., the project manager, said that the preferred alternative of three roundabouts, with the two turn lanes at U.S. Route 3 and N.H. Route 25, would noticeably improve the flow of eastbound summer traffic, which peaks on Friday nights, and, at the same time, ease congestion arising from southbound traffic on n.H. Route 25, which peaks on Sunday afternoons and evenings. Taken together the three roundabouts will slow traffic through town, enhancing the safety of pedestrians. And the roundabout at Pleasant Street will improve access and egress to the businesses along N.H. Route 25.
Rusty McLear said the plan represents an opportunity to significantly improve the appearance of the center of town. U.S. Route 3 will be divided by a landscaped, tree-lined median eight to twelve feet wide and the roundabouts themselves offer opportunities for plantings.
McCarthy estimated the construction cost of the project, excluding design, engineering and purchase of right-of-way, at approximately $5 million, which closely matched the funds DOT has allocated to it.
John Edgar, Community Development director, stressed that the project should not be delayed or shelved for want of a small amount of funding.
Lou Kahn, a selectmen who chairs the Advisory Committee, said that funding for the project should not be drawn from the property taxpayers of Meredith. "This is a great thing for the feds and the state to do," he remarked.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

You have got to be kidding me. You talk about a backup of traffic now? We will see!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #18
Phantom

What's with NH & building Roundabouts ?

I just don't get it !

Old 11-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree Phantom. I think it is somebody's bright idea which they will be sorry for in a few years.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #20
PaugusBayFireFighter

You can say what you want about the Weirs roundabout not being as nice looking as the one further up in Meredith, but it has worked nicely. Other than bike week I haven't seen too much traffic and what traffic there is, moves. Much better than the old intersection.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
ITD

Most of the traffic problems I see in that area are caused by an endless stream of pedestrians crossing the street from the docks to the gas station and to the falls complex, continually stopping traffic. A round about will do nothing to solve this issue.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (11-08-2014), inquiring one (11-07-2014), Resident 2B (12-16-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #22
SIKSUKR

Rotaries definitely work. I was very skeptical of a recent one built in Bedford in front of the new Market Basket that I drive through 4 times a day but it really has worked. My question would be that the same pedestrian problem exists.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #23
Pine Island Guy

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
My question would be that the same pedestian problem exists.
That is the biggest bottleneck with "free flowing traffic"... and the "crossing guards" that are there in the summer cause even more problems as they can't seem to coordinate between the two cross-walks, and don't pay any attention to how much traffic is backed up...

Even a "walk/don't walk" light at the cross-walks might help? At least it would get the pedestrians in a 'group' to cross, rather than the onesy-twosy effect now...

Every Sunday night when we try to get out of town I say... "can't wait to be retired and don't have to drive through this"

-PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #24
Senter Cove Guy

Default Build A Walking Bridge Over The Road

Quote:
Most of the traffic problems I see in that area are caused by an endless stream of pedestrians crossing the street from the docks to the gas station and to the falls complex, continually stopping traffic. A round about will do nothing to solve this issue.
Couldn't be too expensive.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #25
Phantom

Any Town official ever thought of a stylish "Foot Bridge" for crossing?

I think at the Dover St intersection across to the Town boat launch area would be a plus

a hell of a lot cheaper and less disruptive than THREE rotaries !

Old 11-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default a footbridge will not be inexpensive...

Any footbridge like that would have to be ADA accessible and that means having ramps for handicapped folks. That would do away with the quaint footbridge. It would take a bridge with ramps, probably with switchbacks to get up and over the road. Bottom of bridge would have to be 14 or 15 feet above the road to allow the passage of semi trucks. Maybe even higher for the occasional oversized load. How about a monorail from both the Lago area and the Church Landing area, with a switch in the middle allowing the monorail to terminate at Mills Falls. Woo Hoo...what a ride!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #27
jeffatsquam

If the pedestrian bridge went 50 yards up Dover street you would not need a ramp on that end. There is room for a ramp on the lake side and could look very attractive with lights ect. It would be a nice place to take in the views there would be no need for stairs

Level the vacant plaza on the north east corner of NH3 & 25 for a rotary. Traffic will flow.

Prohibit pedestrians crossing NH3 at the south end of the town docks during the few peak hours of traffic .
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #28
mcdude

Public Input being solicited today....

Quote:
Meredith will have chance to comment on roundabout plans on Monday
The committee proposes replacing the traffic signal at the junction of Routes 3 and 25 with a single lane roundabout and constructing two other single lane roundabout, one at Lake Street and another at Pleasant Street. The roundabout at the 3/25intersection will have two right turn lanes to carry northbound traffic from Rte. 3 eastbound on Rte. 25. Traffic islands on Rte. 3 would forestall left turns in and out of Dover Street and on Rte. 25 would forestall left turns in or out of Meredith Village Savings Bank and the Hannaford shopping center.
The committee describes the plan as an "improvement," not a solution, to the congestion during the summer months. Northbound traffic on Rte. 3 going eastward on Rte. 25 is projected to become less congested while westbound traffic on Rte. 25 turning south on to Rte. 3 is expected to flow more continuously without the traffic signal. Although a two lane roundabout at the intersection of Rte. 3 and Rte. 25 would do more to reduce congestion, the committee concluded that the benefit did not outweigh the adverse impacts to abutting properties and obstruct the flow of crosstown traffic from Main Street to Rte. 25.
Each of the roundabouts will have crosswalks designed to enable pedestrians to cross one lane of traffic at a time. There will also be a crosswalk at Dover Street where a center island on Rte. 3 will enable pedestrians to cross one lane of traffic at a time. The crosswalks are not expected to significantly slow the flow of traffic on Rte. 3.
The roundabout at Lake Street will enable northbound traffic on Rte. 3 to turn on to Lake Lake Street and traffic on Lake Street to turn either southbound or northbound on to Rte. 3. The roundabout at Pleasant Street will include a driveway leading to the parking lots of both Meredith Village Savings Bank and the shopping center, enabling traffic on Rte. 25 to enter and exit without making left turns.
The New Hampshire Department of Transportation estimates the project to cost $5 million, excluding the expense of acquiring land. The entire cost will be born by the DOT, with no contribution from the town. The DOT hopes to design and engineer the project as well as acquire any necessary property in 2015 and complete construction in 2017 or 2018.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #29
inquiring one

Just my 2 cents...This "solution" / proposal seems more about creating aesthetic value than a better flow of traffic. Parade rd could have been solved by adding a separate right hand turn "road/lane/ramp"(pick your word)...the issue there was playing chicken with folks who chose not to use the directional lever...
I ask, How can a proposal for 5 million dollars be accepted when included in the words are "not a solution" and we'll need more money for the property to dig up???? Imagine the fire dept needing to respond to ANYTHING north, much less east (N) on 25...
From what I have read, it appears that a suggestion was whispered many yrs ago and now the focus is on how to make it happen.
I beleive an effort to accept (via on line or snail mail) alternate, logical suggestions "outside the box" or from "Joe Public", would be more effective in solving this issue along with spending our tax dollars more effectively.
"Goin round in circles" is just too ironic
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #30
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Website

For people who would like to follow this closer, you can go to this website set up by the DOT. www.meredith3-25.com It will give you a better idea of what's proposed. I attended the meeting today, it was educational for sure. I will let you decide for yourselves on whether or not this is the answer for Meredith.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (12-17-2014), Pineedles (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #31
Rusty

Three roundabouts in the little Village of Meredith...too funny!

People who will be visiting Meredith in the summer will be going in circles wondering where they need to get off each roundabout. They will be saying: Where the heck am I????
Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #32
Resident 2B

Has the DOT or the advisory committee considered the impact of pedestrians on the overall summer traffic situation? It seems to me that they have only considered motor vehicles traffic. I agree with ITD.

In my opinion, any improvement or solution that does not include some way to get the pedestrians across the street with significantly less disruption of the motor vehicle traffic flow should be rejected.

R2B

Quote:
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #33
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Three roundabouts in the little Village of Meredith...too funny!

People who will be visiting Meredith in the summer will be going in circles wondering where they need to get off each roundabout. They will be saying: Where the heck am I????
The nice thing about a roundabout is if you miss your exit, you get to miss it an infinite number of times, as you go round n round again n again.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #34
Pineedles

In all seriousness, I looked at the map posted, and it looks like a good solution. Thanks WBB for the link.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #35
Meredith AK

Default Meredith Roundabouts

I work in Laconia and live on Pleasant St in Meredith. I poo-poo'd the traffic circle on Rt 3 / 106 (Parade Rd) when it first went in. However, especially on a Friday evening, it has made my commute back to Meredith a very simple one vs. waiting and "playing chicken" with others coming down the hill on Rt 3 North.
Trying to leave Pleasant St. in the summer is next to impossible if you want to head towards town. I normally take a right, then pull into the Hannaford parking lot and exit towards town from there. The roundabout would be better than another traffic light and if it works as slick as the one on Rt 3 / 106, I'm all for it.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #36
Rusty

IMO it will help the pedestrian flow but it might slow down the traffic flow.

I assume the pedestrians have the right away at each roundabout and the flow of autos will come to a halt each time someone uses the crosswalk.

Tourist season should be interesting.

Roundabouts can be good for auto traffic as long as crosswalks don't slow things down.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #37
Happy Gourmand

I agree with Rusty. It seems like the crosswalks are a bit close to the roundabout exits and should make for some unwanted excitement. Many drivers will be watching for traffic signs designating their wanted exit and will not be expecting pedestrian traffic so close to the exits. My thought is that the crosswalk on the Southbound exit on Rte 3 should be eliminated from this plan and ped traffic be made to cross at the boat ramp area.
The plan as they have outlined now will create a huge jam in the roundabout itself, but this project may be years away and I'm sure these issues will be dealt with.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #38
Just Sold

After looking at the plan it seems to help with vehicle traffic flow for most of the time. But, what I see as the big issue is the crossing guards by the park and boat ramp because there will be no improvement to the traffic flow no matter how many round-a-bouts they build if the guards stay. The guards with the high volume of pedestrians are the biggest part of the problem on weekends when the traffic is at its highest. They need to come up with a better solution to getting the pedestrians across the street and keep traffic flowing.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #39
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Keep it simple

Something like this could work.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-16-2014), Just Sold (12-16-2014), Resident 2B (12-16-2014), Rusty (12-16-2014), trfour (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #40
jeffk

Default Flawed combination of cars and pedestrians

It seems to me there are going to be LOTS of accidents because the nature of roundabouts is to keep traffic moving. Once in it, people do not expect it to stop. Yet here it will because pedestrian crossings will require it to. People will enter the roundabout and then have to stop but won't expect to.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #41
jacka82942

Default walkovers

build walkovers over the road at the intersection and town docks
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #42
brk-lnt

There is a company out of Finland that is prototyping a pedestrian slingshot for high congestion areas. You get in a "basket" of sorts and it flings you over the intersection to a hydraulic platform on the other side that catches the basket and slows the momentum gently. It's also ADA compliant because you can roll a wheelchair in/out of the basket smoothly. I hear Meredith is going to have a temporary/demo unit setup during bike week.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #43
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

What about a walkway bridge OVER the traffic?? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap but seems like a viable solution... Oh yeah, someone will complain about the view...:-(

Dan
Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #44
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
What about a walkway bridge OVER the traffic?? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap but seems like a viable solution... Oh yeah, someone will complain about the view...:-(

Dan
Dan, this was their response to the idea of a tunnel or footbridge.

http://www.meredith3-25.com/

7. WHAT WILL BE DONE ABOUT PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS?
Each of the roundabouts will have pedestrian crosswalks. Each will be designed so that pedestrians will have to cross only one lane of traffic at a time and DOT believes that the slower traffic speeds through the roundabouts will permit pedestrians to safely cross without causing significant traffic delays. Also, a crosswalk will be placed at Dover St., but pedestrians will cross only one lane of Route 3 before reaching a center island and then crossing another single lane. Traffic will not have to stop in both directions at one time. A pedestrian tunnel and a bridge were considered and rejected as there is not enough space for graded walkways compliant with disabilities laws and both installation and town maintenance of these facilities would involve significant expense.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #45
BroadHopper

Default Attitash Mtn Walkway

I bet they have not seen the walkway in front of the main lodge. I don't see how much real estate they nee to put one in if the ramps are perpendicular with the walkway.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #46
HellRaZoR004

I doubt a bridge over the road would work unless you put up fences to keep people from jaywalking.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #47
fatlazyless

Taking a left off Pleasant St, and onto Route 25, just across from the BarnZ Cinema in the summer, what with all the traffic, and those summer only - super skinny, yellow DOT hgwy cones is probably the single most dangerous traffic accident spot in the area. That is an accident just waiting to happen there, and can sometimes require mucho mucho lots of patience when there's five or more cars waiting at the GREEN light for the traffic to move forward there.

Re-constructing it into a roundabout will be a big big traffic safety improvement, plus it creates a new roundabout center spot for a decorative garden there too ..... what's not to like ... plus it's like 5-million dollars of federal, U.S. Dept Transportation gov money.... for all three new Meredith roundabouts ... and maybe zero local Meredith money .... after years and years of discussion! Viva Las Roundabout!

Here's to using the same similar large granite cobble blocks that were used in the first Meredith roundabout a-top Sunset Hill, as opposed to using the dumb ugly, smooth concrete apron that got used at the Laconia-Weirs Beach roundabout.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-18-2014 at 10:48 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #48
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Taking a left off Pleasant St, and onto Route 25, just across from the BarnZ Cinema in the summer, what with all the traffic, and those summer only - super skinny, yellow DOT hgwy cones is probably the single most dangerous traffic accident spot in the area. That is an accident just waiting to happen there, and can sometimes require mucho mucho lots of patience when there's five or more cars waiting at the GREEN light for the traffic to move forward there.

Re-constructing it into a roundabout will be a big big traffic safety improvement, plus it creates a new roundabout center spot for a decorative garden there too ..... what's not to like ... plus it's like 5-million dollars of federal, U.S. Dept Transportation gov money....and maybe zero local Meredith money! Viva Las Roundabout!

Here's to using the same similar large granite cobble blocks that were used in the first Meredith roundabout a-top Sunset Hill, as opposed to using the dumb ugly, smooth concrete apron that got used at the Laconia-Weirs Beach roundabout.
5 million here...another 5 million there...and pretty soon you're talking about a lot of OUR money.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
inquiring one (12-17-2014), Pineedles (12-18-2014)
Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #49
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
Roundabouts alone will not solve the problem. Pedestrian traffic also needs to be addressed. I have often noticed that cars are waiting at green lights to turn left from rt25, waiting for pedestrians to cross rt3 at the boat ramp, or in front of the town docks.
I remember reading the research documents a while ago, and a pedestrian tunnel or bridge was proposed. What happened to that? if that doesn't happen, then a bypass should be considered.
A couple bridges over the road in that area seems like a relatively cheap no-brainer to solve the foot traffic. Maybe it makes to much sense. But first a 7 year study needs to be done to determine what it would look like visually - good god...
Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #50
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
A couple bridges over the road in that area seems like a relatively cheap no-brainer to solve the foot traffic. Maybe it makes to much sense. But first a 7 year study needs to be done to determine what it would look like visually - good god...
I thought the same thing, but I was told that it would need to be ADA compliant. Meaning there would need to be a way for a disabled person to use it. Elevator, long ramp, etc.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #51
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I thought the same thing, but I was told that it would need to be ADA compliant. Meaning there would need to be a way for a disabled person to use it. Elevator, long ramp, etc.
Would love to see comments on my solution in post #27 I just can't see how this simple approach would not solve the perceived problem.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #52
BroadHopper

Default ADA Design Standards

http://www.ada.gov/2010ADAstandards_index.htm

You will find it here. Very interesting reading.

Currently standards for elevators are being revised. For more info see:

https://www.iccsafe.org/cs/standards/A117/Pages/default.aspx?usertoken={token}&Site=icc

From the link, go to bottom of the blue section for "Public Comments Report on Second Public Review Draft". It is on pg. 32, # 4-54-12, item #14 - Comment PC1.1.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #53
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Keep it simple ramps should do, lots of office buildings now have ramps and I think (??) it serves the disabled now. Compared to things considered a couple of these walkways would be "pocket change" to accomplish.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #54
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Selectboard votes

After a long 4+ hr meeting, decidedly with most against the proposal. The Board voted 4 against, 1 abstaining. No new roundabouts in Meredith at this time!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
inquiring one (01-27-2015), Pineedles (01-27-2015)