Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
RLW

Default Back after being away for 5 to 6 years

A BIG HELLO to those that I use to correspond with. I have been gone from the forum past 5 or 6 years because health reasons both myself and my wonderful bride. I have missed putting in my comments to new comers thanking them for joining the wonderful group and looking at some of the most resent posts it appears just the same now as it was when I was regular viewer. I do hope to be able to continue to be a regular viewer from now on.
ApS (04-02-2020), Barney Bear (04-03-2020), Biggd (04-01-2020), Blue Thunder (04-05-2020), BoatHouse (04-05-2020), Chaos (04-02-2020), CTYankee (04-02-2020), Dad sold the C * C (04-03-2020), DougNH (04-02-2020), DRH (04-07-2020), granitebox (03-31-2020), gravy boat (04-01-2020), GTO (04-01-2020), JEEPONLY (03-31-2020), KPW (04-01-2020), Longtimelurker (04-01-2020), Loub52 (04-01-2020), Major (04-03-2020), Meredith AK (04-01-2020), Newbiesaukee (04-01-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (04-01-2020), Pineedles (03-31-2020), pondguy (04-01-2020), SAMIAM (04-03-2020), Slickcraft (04-01-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-05-2020), TiltonBB (04-01-2020), upthesaukee (04-01-2020), Waterbaby (04-01-2020), webmaster (04-01-2020), Winni-Retired (04-01-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
A BIG HELLO to those that I use to correspond with. I have been gone from the forum past 5 or 6 years because health reasons both myself and my wonderful bride. I have missed putting in my comments to new comers thanking them for joining the wonderful group and looking at some of the most resent posts it appears just the same now as it was when I was regular viewer. I do hope to be able to continue to be a regular viewer from now on.
Well, welcome back!! I actually asked if anybody had heard from you-I missed you. Weren't you our unofficial greeter?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
RLW (04-05-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Well, welcome back!! I actually asked if anybody had heard from you-I missed you. Weren't you our unofficial greeter?
Yes I was for several years and I have missed it a lot, but glad to be back on this great forum now. I think I might have posted on someone else's post and if I did I sincerely apologize. Could someone tell me how I can remove this from bigdogs post Looking for forum member username?.

Last edited by RLW; 03-31-2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: request additional help
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
ericnh

Default Welcome back!

Glad you all are doing better, the lake is definitely a special place!
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnh For This Useful Post:
RLW (04-05-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Welcome Back

Glad to have you back and active again. I see you have a great granddaughter now. New addition or did I miss the announcement a long time ago?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
RLW (04-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Hey RLW, You sent me a message through the Contact Us form but I can't reply because your email address is invalid.

Please send me another message with your current email address and I'll update it so you can get site notifications and emails.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Quote:
Welcome back! I've been very intermittent here in the past few years, but many of the same great people are still here. Great to see you!
RLW (04-05-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
Loub52

Quote:
@RLW, A very hearty and healthy “Welcome back to the forum” to you, the person who originally welcomed me to the forum.

All the best!
Loub52
Loub52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loub52 For This Useful Post:
RLW (04-05-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Welcome back Ralph! So sorry to hear of your difficulties. Hope you get to enjoy the lake this summer with the grand-kids!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
RLW: you were the one to welcome me back in 2014—good to see you again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #11
CanisLupusArctos

Default I'll second that original comment...

It's been 5 or 6 years for me, too. 2014 Family meltdown in the wake of my sister's murder on a mission trip in Nicaragua. The resulting domino string took me away from all that I loved before, led to a mental breakdown, I started falling apart at work (got told to step back) and I went to a therapist. I learned a lot about human psychology and psychiatry as well as my own.

After visits with 3 other mental health professionals (and 4 UNH psych-social professors I randomly met at a dinner presentation) I got a unanimous diagnosis: "Normal person who went through too many drastic changes and losses of certain types in too little time."

They taught me all humans have a mental breaking point that's somewhat adjustable but has an absolute limit, it's why people need boot camp before they can become soldiers, it's why soldiers need intense training before they can function as special forces, and in modern western culture most civilians aren't aware of their own limits until something pushes them to breaking point.

They told me how brain cells gradually re-adjust to new situations and how to tell when enough of them were past the meltdown and ready for work/ normalcy again. I got the "clear of diagnosable issues" last fall and noticeably experienced the signs of "ready for return" in late February. I was all set to ease back into working and begin a new season.

And then....

i got up one morning and took a while to realize I wasn't having an apocalyptic dream -- it was actual reality, worldwide.

I didn't have a job to lose (had hoped to regain much of what I had) but I do have a battle plan from February whose status is now "under continuous review while monitoring and attempting to predict the changed and rapidly-evolving environment."

Amid the chaos and drastic changes, I'm glad to see familiar names here! I'm glad to see the same Webmaster breaking up the same rabbit-trail arguments!

I had a second surreal experience when I started listening to peoples' statements and stories on news reports and comment threads with my newly-psych-trained ears. I quickly realized many individuals are now experiencing things that are psychologically similar to what I did, but in a matter of weeks instead of years. Applying everything I learned about mental health from the professionals and from my first-hand experience, I arrived at various predictions through emotionless deductive reasoning that left my eyes wide.

I'm still a weather guy as much as I was before. I'm eager to get back into it. The therapists said activities like that are good for getting the emotional side of the brain to relax while the logical side takes over. I have found that to be useful.

What's changed--I have a different outlook on life and death than I did before my sister's murder: I expect to see her again. Others may differ if they wish, but I prefer to save the moment of potential disappointment for when I'm newly "dead" -- wait, how can I experience disappointment if I'm dead? Ahh, I'll either see her again, or I'll be forever numb to the rude awakening. A win-win.

What else has changed--I became a mental health advocate. Stigma OUT. Awareness and treatment IN. Mental health is just like any other segment of healthcare. When I saw there are many sub-topics in the COVID-19 event, I felt it necessary (to avoid becoming overwhelmed as many now are) to pick one as my primary angle and a couple of others in a descending order of focus- and make a conscious effort (however imperfect) to avoid getting led into other subtopics. I picked the mental health aspect as #1.

#2 is "weather and natural events," because they don't stop when mankind wants several months of perfect weather for managing a pandemic. Oh, no -- weather and geology have never agreed to such terms. April-June is the peak of U.S. tornado season, which has already devastated a major city (Nashville TN.)

If I had to pick a #3 it would be the financial subject, because I went through personal bankruptcy right before my sister's passing led to meltdown, so the last few years have been unexpectedly very hard. My lawyer was GREAT, and took the time to teach me many things about finances and numbers using my own numbers (spread out on his table) as an example. I see a few numbers "out there" that he said never, ever work on any scale -- and I learned the hard way on the individual scale. I learned the relationships between poverty and health (mental and physical) first hand. That's been giving me many thoughts about what I'm seeing in various reports.

Interesting world we now live in! At least Lake Winnipesaukee has not (yet?) turned to Jello, and the ancient volcanic caldera we call "the Ossipees" is not giving off any sign of reactivation (though the northeast HAS had a swarm of small earthquakes in the last couple months.)

Lots to follow! With that, I'm glad to join RLW in saying, "I'm back." Good to see you all!

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 04-03-2020 at 07:01 PM.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-03-2020), Barney Bear (04-03-2020), Biggd (04-03-2020), Blue Thunder (04-05-2020), DickR (04-04-2020), DRH (04-07-2020), granitebox (04-04-2020), Newbiesaukee (04-07-2020), pondguy (04-04-2020), RLW (04-05-2020), smith point boater (04-04-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-05-2020), TheRoBoat (04-04-2020), upthesaukee (04-03-2020), webmaster (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Welcome back

Welcome back, CLA. Sorry for your loss. May all your forecasts be bright and sunny. (Ours too!)

Dave
Old 04-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

CLA, it was interesting to read your post above, especially the piece about mental health stigma—thank you for that, welcome back, and good luck continuing to heal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #14
RLW

Smile Back after being away for 5 to 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Glad to have you back and active again. I see you have a great granddaughter now. New addition or did I miss the announcement a long time ago?
Thanks and the great granddaughter is 16 months and lots of fun, but being away from her and the family due to the virus is very hard. The parents keep us up to date with lovely pictures and face time. Internet is a great when in a crises like now.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #15
RLW

Quote:
A very big thank you to you all. I have missed being able to correspond with you all and reading about the general postings we all post. Hopefully my health will continue to get better.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
Blue Thunder

Welcome back RLW and CLA. You’ve both been though a lot obviously. Hopefully your return here will help bring back memories of the good times...
BT