Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
coltgov101

Smile stonedam island

I spent more than forty summers at the lake and never knew about stonedam island. I can say that I rode through Sally's Gut almost every week and never knew that it was a wildlife refuge. When I saw pictures of the stone cabin I was amased. There is no place to tie up. The whole area is rock laden and it always looked so barren I never dreamed anyone would try to tie up there. Iguess I was wrong. If anyone can shed some light on Stonedam Island I would love to hear your input.
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
jrc

There is a dock on the east side of the island, not far from the end of Sally's Gut.

Search on Stonedam there are a few threads like this one:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...light=stonedam
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
fatlazyless

The story I heard was that Stonedam Island was originally part of the mainland until Sally decided to seperate it and dug out her gut. Some type of a family argument or something?

Later on, a bridge was built which crossed the gut but that too came down due to family argument. Too bad?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
VtSteve

We lived directly across from Stonedam, almost even with the cove where Tom Rice lived. He used to motor out of there in his old Laker. I believe there was a seaplane there many years ago as well.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
trfour

Thumbs up

Here's a view taken on a hazy summer day from the top of Stonedam Island looking southeast.
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
JDeere

........yet another bright comment from FLL
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
chattypatty (09-05-2013)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Default kayaking Stonedam Island

A good take-off spot for exploring Stonedam Island, a 112-acre wildlife preserve, is to park your car at the Cattle Landing (Town of Meredith) parking lot and town dock. From the kayak launch at the Cattle Landing dock, next to the concrete telephone utility shed, it's about a one & 1/2 mile paddle west, along the shoreiine, to Stonedam Island. Many kayakers will appreciate that there's no big open water crossing need be made during the paddle from Cattle Landing to Stonedam Island. After Labor Day there should be plenty of parking, too.

There is no identifying sign at the Cattle Landing dock, and there is also no sign at Stonedam Island but they are both definately there, and available to paddle and hike for no charge or fee.

Happy paddling to Stonedam Island and Sally's Gut!.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-04-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: ...corrected one mile to a one & 1/2 mile paddle
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
A good take-off spot for exploring Stonedam Island is to park your car at the Cattle Landing town parking lot and town dock. From the kayak launch at the Cattle Landing dock, next to the concrete telephone utility shed, it's about a one mile paddle west, along the shoreline, to Stonedam Island. Many kayakers will appreciate that there's no big open water crossing need be made during the paddle from Cattle Landing to Stonedam Iisland. After Labor Day there should be plenty of parking, too.

There is no identifying sign at the Cattle Landing dock, and there is also no sign at Stonedam Island but they are both definately there, and available to paddle and hike for no charge or fee.

Happy paddling to Stonedam Island and Sally's Gut!.
Thank you Walter. Some of us appreciate your humor and helpfulness.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
partsman

The island is quite remarkable actually. There are several walking trails out there. The dock is not long, but offers dockage for two boats anyway, (one on each side). The water is deep enough for most boats, just go in slowly.

Once on the island, you will find a pile of old ski poles that you can grab one or two of. These will aid your ascent on the trails towards the top of the island. The trails actually only cover about a third of the island. As you hike the island, you will find small signs pointing out the various trees and flowers that can be found on the Island. The descent back to the lake and the dock cam be a little treacherous, so sneakers are a real necessity. Alot of the island is still undeveloped (trailwise) and I believe somewhat privately owned.

My understanding is that the Rice family owns the Island and gave a conservsation easement to the Lakes Region Conservation Trust in the 80's. They still retain ownership but have pput the Island into a state where it can never be developed.

As far as Sally's Gut goes, I believe it was always a channel between the mainland and the Island. I do not believe it was dredged out. As a youngster in the 50's, we used to waterski through here. The old 15' lyman with the 18 hp Evinrude easily towed my brother or I through these narrows.

Probably not a good idea to try today !
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Mr. V

Yes, you are correct about ownership by the Rice family, at least as of about ten years ago: I assume it is still in their hands.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
garysanfran

Default Stonedam has limited access

I have lived across from the Thomas P. Rice house on Stonedam Island since 1960. I met him and his wife a few times, and as a 9yr. old boy would marvel at the old Laker that would knife it's way into the cove. The arrival of the seaplane made any day special.

In the 80's the family donated most of the island to the Lakes Region Conservation Trust. If I remember correctly, the value was $600,000. They kept the south part of the island, from the cove south, for their own private use.

Most of the island is accessible and hikeable, but the Rice family would like (would HAVE liked) those visitors to stay off the private portion. The intrusion into their privacy, from hikers, and large power boaters docking off their dock (I know boaters rights so keep comments about boaters rights to yourself...Different thread, but this point is pertinant to this post and some of these boaters were hostile to the Rices).

At one point, before the donation, they hired a private armed guard to try to discourage intruders. He stopped me and a friend at gun-point when we landed a row boat on a northeastern beach. I explained that the Rice family has always allowed me to hike on their island and he let me pass. I was 16 yrs. old.

Today the private portion is for sale. $2.75 mm with severe development restrictions. Seems the Rice family no longer wants to deal with the "progression" of Lake Winnepesaukee. I believe they have another property, on the lake also for sale.

My understanding is that there was a bridge across Sally's Gut that connected the mainland with the island and the island was used for heavy logging. There is (or was) the remains of an old road from the bridge location (north-west) to the southern point. (Not all of it hikeable, without trespassing, today.

The photo on this thread (forgot who took it) was taken from "look-out" rock at the to of the island. Last time I checked it is on their private property.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
trfour

Default Sorry Gary, not this time....

Quote:
The photo on this thread (forgot who took it) was taken from "look-out" rock at the to of the island. Last time I checked it is on their private property.
It was I who took the photo from a clearly marked walking trail on the northeast part of the Island.
However, I do enjoy your history with.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Thank you Walter. Some of us appreciate your humor and helpfulness.
I totally agree. FLL lightens many things up and provides some very interesting and sometimes useful information. Keep it up FLL!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #14
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I totally agree. FLL lightens many things up and provides some very interesting and sometimes useful information. Keep it up FLL!
Hey, I agree too the part about FLL!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
bdbd

Default About 3/4 of Stonedam Island is owned

by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust, purchased by them after a substantial fundraising campaign in the 1980s. It's a beautiful place, open to the public free of charge, dawn to dusk. There's a dock on the northeast side of the island, and trails extending through much of the LRCT land. The southeastern quarter of the island (see Meredith tax maps online), the part now for sale, is owned by the Rice family and not open to the public.
If you enjoy visiting this wonderful place, make a contribution to the LRCT to help support their work. It costs money to maintain a dock and land, as we all know.
bdbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
Island Life

I'm an FLL fan too.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
garysanfran

Default trfour...My apology

YOU are correct. There are two spots on Stonedam with similar views to the one in your photo. I'm sorry, but a closer look shows that your photo was taken near the stone-wall about 150' north, before the No Trespassing Zone. The spot I was thinking of is in private property a bit further on south...Sorry!

And I agree with bdbd, The Lakes Region Conservation Trust is setting aside as much land for the public use as donations can help them purchase. A very worthwhile Cause.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #18
trfour

Default No Problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
YOU are correct. There are two spots on Stonedam with similar views to the one in your photo. I'm sorry, but a closer look shows that your photo was taken near the stone-wall about 150' north, before the No Trespassing Zone. The spot I was thinking of is in private property a bit further on south...Sorry!

And I agree with bdbd, The Lakes Region Conservation Trust is setting aside as much land for the public use as donations can help them purchase. A very worthwhile Cause.
I Love the Island and your history, as I said. .... And yes, We Will continue to support The Lakes Region in any way that we can!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
JRice

Hi everyone, I thought that I would throw myself to the lions as it were. I spent many summers on stonedam from the mid 1960s through the '80s. I love the island it is a part of who I am. Sadly what has happened on the lake as of late is disconcerting to say the least. We no longer feel safe on stonedam and we have suffered a great deal of vandalism over the years.

We never had armed guards on Stonedam. Gary may have had the misfortune of running into me at some point. No one else ever patrolled the island. After 1978 only three people had the right to grant permission to vist the private part of the island, which, until 1980, was all of it, they were myself, my sister and my father.

There was one person, whose name I have forgotten who kept insisting that my uncle, Lyman Rice, had given him permission to visit. When asked, Lyman said "Oh, That A****" Lyman, for the record, never had an ownership interest anyway.

I would never have given permission to someone I did not know.

In any event the concept of private property has seemed to have lost its meaning as of late and as we really are not wealthy people it is time to get out with our memories intact. It is my sincere hope that whoever purchases the Rice portion of stonedam will have the time and resources to enjoy the Island as my family has for 70 plus years.

Jonathan Rice
JRice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JRice For This Useful Post:
6meter (04-09-2010), BroadHopper (04-26-2010), Broken Glass (08-21-2013), Jmo77011 (04-09-2010), Just Sold (04-08-2010), Lakesrider (06-02-2010), NHBUOY (08-18-2013), Smitty1 (04-10-2010)
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Pineedles

Default Private Property

No criticism here JRice, you have done what needs to be done, set the record straight. Welcome to the forum! Please continue to protect what is yours and don't let anyone tell you it is not your right to protect your property.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #21
JRice

Hi,

Further to the above, the Lakes Region Conservation Trust does in fact own 112 acres of Stonedam Island. The Rice family owns the remaining 28 acres.

Over the years there has been confusion among the general population as to where the property lines are, many not believing that any part of the island remains private. I have personally encountered some particularly belligerent "visitors" who upon being informed that they were trespassing refused to leave.

When the LRCT first took possession of their portion they were awesome neighbors that worked hard to build all the trails that I wish I had built and patrolled regularly. In the last ten years or so their appearance has been spotty at best, making it more difficult for us. I fully support their cause I just wish they could maintain more of presence.

JR
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

It is a shame you had to go through all that. People are belligerent sometimes. They act like they belong on your land and you don't. I just can't understand that kind of thinking. If I even mistakenly went on someone's private property, I would be very apologetic, not give them a hard time. It has happened to us, so I can feel for you. I am sorry you had to sell. We had to sell for the same reason. People would be there when we got there and tell us they had permission from the land owner to be there (not obviously knowing we were the landowners). They also would be using it and when we came not even move, even race us to get there first. They left their trash too.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
ClosetExtrovert

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I have lived across from the Thomas P. Rice house on Stonedam Island since 1960. I met him and his wife a few times, and as a 9yr. old boy would marvel at the old Laker that would knife it's way into the cove. The arrival of the seaplane made any day special.

In the 80's the family donated most of the island to the Lakes Region Conservation Trust. If I remember correctly, the value was $600,000. They kept the south part of the island, from the cove south, for their own private use.

Most of the island is accessible and hikeable, but the Rice family would like (would HAVE liked) those visitors to stay off the private portion. The intrusion into their privacy, from hikers, and large power boaters docking off their dock (I know boaters rights so keep comments about boaters rights to yourself...Different thread, but this point is pertinant to this post and some of these boaters were hostile to the Rices).

At one point, before the donation, they hired a private armed guard to try to discourage intruders. He stopped me and a friend at gun-point when we landed a row boat on a northeastern beach. I explained that the Rice family has always allowed me to hike on their island and he let me pass. I was 16 yrs. old.

Today the private portion is for sale. $2.75 mm with severe development restrictions. Seems the Rice family no longer wants to deal with the "progression" of Lake Winnepesaukee. I believe they have another property, on the lake also for sale.

My understanding is that there was a bridge across Sally's Gut that connected the mainland with the island and the island was used for heavy logging. There is (or was) the remains of an old road from the bridge location (north-west) to the southern point. (Not all of it hikeable, without trespassing, today.

Wow..I met the guy with the gun, too. You just reminded me...how weird.
ClosetExtrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #24
twins

Default Caution...Rant below!

I didn't start the topic in this direction, but...

What is it about the siren call of an island?

How many otherwise law-abiding people would consider pulling up their kayaks to Bob Bahre's dock and have a nice picnic lunch on his deck?... Maybe take a nice stroll and peek in Bill Marriott's windows and see how the other half lives?...Use Mitt Romney's outhouse when nature calls (even though the outhouse was decommissioned years ago)?...but somehow all these thing seem okay if someones home happens to be surrounded by water.

Just because you can legally and physically maneuver your boat (kayak, canoe, bassboat) to within 5 feet of an obviously occupied cottage's windows at 7 o'clock in the morning and have a peek, DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD!
twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Well said, twins. There are SOME people though that would do what you said as well.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
6meter

Interesting reading. Thanks for contributing Jonathan Rice. I have gone through Sallys gut just about every time I've gone out in the boat. I knew that the LRCRT had bought the property and assumed that made it private property still. Never knew anybody could tour the island.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #27
trfour

Default Dear JRice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRice View Post
Hi,

Further to the above, the Lakes Region Conservation Trust does in fact own112 acres of Stonedam Island. The Rice family owns the remaining 28 acres.

Over the years there has been confusion among the general population as to where the property lines are, many not believing that any part of the island remains private. I have personally encountered some particularly belligerent "visitors" who upon being informed that they were trespassing refused to leave.

When the LRCT first took possession of their portion they were awesome neighbors that worked hard to build all the trails that I wish I had built and patrolled regularly. In the last ten years or so their appearance has been spotty at best, making it more difficult for us. I fully support their cause I just wish they could maintain more of presence.

JR

Just to let you know. My Daughter and I visited the Island long and before the LRCT got involved and there was signage just off the dock that very clearly stated the rules of the walking trails. We followed them to the letter and had a very enjoyable visit!

Regards

Terry

Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #28
sea_n_ski

Default Love Stonedam

I live directly across from the Rice's on Meredith Neck and have enjoyed how Stonedam Island seems to light up with the morning sun shining on it. Especially in the fall when it looks like the trees are on fire. I often Kayak around it in the early morning and really enjoy its beauty. I think its sad that boats raft off its shores, but there is little you can do. I do remember the "Party Barge" coming an going 15 years ago. Sometimes this double decker had tons of people with some pretty wild looking parties.

My children grew up taking their pontoon paddle boat across and swimming off the rocks in front of the Rice's place. They would pack their lunch and head over to the island on their adventure. Their annual ritual is to swim over and back ( guided by a kayak of course). I hope they never trespassed, although I am sure they swam into the beach on occasion. I apologize if they trespassed, but I am sure they were always respectful.

One of the main reasons we bought our home was we understood that Stonedam could never to developed. We also thought that if the Rice's ever did want to sell their private parcel, the LRCA had first right of refusal. My children and I will be disappointed if that part of the island becomes developed. Although I cannot blame the Rice's for their feelings as some people on the lake are disrespectful.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #29
jrc

sea n ski

I'm sorry it's makes you sad that I raft off Stonedam. I'm glad your children had a great time enjoying the lake. Too bad my family enjoying the lake makes you sad.

BTW we never tresspass on the Rice's land.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #30
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_n_ski View Post
I live directly across from the Rice's on Meredith Neck and have enjoyed how Stonedam Island seems to light up with the morning sun shining on it. Especially in the fall when it looks like the trees are on fire. I often Kayak around it in the early morning and really enjoy its beauty. I think its sad that boats raft off its shores, but there is little you can do. I do remember the "Party Barge" coming an going 15 years ago. Sometimes this double decker had tons of people with some pretty wild looking parties.

My children grew up taking their pontoon paddle boat across and swimming off the rocks in front of the Rice's place. They would pack their lunch and head over to the island on their adventure. Their annual ritual is to swim over and back ( guided by a kayak of course). I hope they never trespassed, although I am sure they swam into the beach on occasion. I apologize if they trespassed, but I am sure they were always respectful.

One of the main reasons we bought our home was we understood that Stonedam could never to developed. We also thought that if the Rice's ever did want to sell their private parcel, the LRCA had first right of refusal. My children and I will be disappointed if that part of the island becomes developed. Although I cannot blame the Rice's for their feelings as some people on the lake are disrespectful.
So you think it is sad that boaters choose that spot to enjoy the lake, yet it was OK for your children to swim there?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #31
sea_n_ski

Default Good Point

The lake for everyone to enjoy and your point is well taken. My point was that if someone owns a piece of land and has boats anchoring off their shore it is sad for the owner. Especially if someone is swimming ashore and trespassing. Could you imagine owning lake front and having 5 to 10 boats anchor off your shore every weekend? I also apologized in my post if my children were trespassing. I feel bad for Mr. Rice and his family in that regard. I doubt my children or most of the boaters caused any of the problems he stated. It's always the select few that ruin things for everyone else. So, I don't think my children are any better than anyone else. Now that I understand the situation I will make sure the kids stay clear of his private property.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #32
jrc

I always anchor near the public dock, never near the Rice's home or dock. I don't even know where it is. Generally, I avoid anchoring in front of someone house. Too close or too many boats is rude, even if legal.

I can see how that would bother people. Sadly, there are spots on the lake where waterfront property is congested and less than ideal, because of rude people. Too bad common sense is so uncommon.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #33
JRice

I suppose that I will never be able to end confusion surrounding Stonedam.
Terry, before LRCT got involved there was absolutely no trespassing, no trails and no signs. My grandfather Tat Rice, (Never went by Tom) valued his privacy.

If anyone ever ran into someone with a gun it was me. Sorry! No one else ever patrolled, and when LRCT got involved I stopped, happily.

Not all the boaters that raft in the cove are sent from the devil. Some, on the other hand were, and unfortunately for all of us it is those that leave the lasting impression. I have had some most unpleasant encounters with people who either did not believe that I was one of the owners, or simply did not wish to give up their party spot for love nor money.

I try not to be bitter about my experience on the island, as many of my most treasured childhood (and adult) experiences centered around Stonedam.

Twins-- you got it. Its an island, and somehow that seems an invitation. Yes the facilities get used-whether in commission or not. The cabins get used, stuff gets stolen and or broken. Somehow this does not happen at home.

My young cousin has been spending summers on the island as of late and I believe that his presence has made a difference.

My thanks to all of you who enjoy the lake, and the island as I have.

Oh yes, Sea n ski, you are correct. Stonedam can't be developed to any major degree so your view is safe. Five more small houses maximum, no McMansions or such stupidity. The point with our cabins can sustain no further building. All this per an agreement between us and LRCT.

Jonathan Rice
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #34
trfour

Default Hi JRice...

Quote:
, "Terry, before LRCT got involved there was absolutely no trespassing, no trails and no signs. My grandfather Tat Rice, (Never went by Tom) valued his privacy."
Thanks for correcting me. I was not aware that it was the LRCT that built the walking trails and signage for the visiting public's use.
A very beautiful and Serene area of the Lakes Region!

Terry

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #35
VtSteve

Great memories of Stonedam JR. Like Gary, my parent's place was directly across from your cove more or less. I do remember when there was talk of development, and the LRCT purchasing as well. Obviously, there was huge support in keeping the island pretty much as it is today. The value of the island to nearby property owners is immense, so they should think about helping out some more, as should all lake users.

Sadly, my parents decided to sell the place, which we always thought would be there. As you can see, your island has impacted many boaters for decades, and in a positive way. Sorry you had to put up with so much just to have some privacy for yourselves.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
granitehead

Hiked Stonedam today and came upon a large encampment covering the entire picnic area at the south end overlooking Eagle Island... 3 large tents, generator, many coolers, clothes lines, fishing gear. No one was there at the time but clearly, they'd been set up a while and planned to stay some more. I thought LRCT lands were open to the public sunrise to sunset with no overnights. Any one know what this camp is about?
granitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #37
garysanfran

Default Squatters on Stonedam

I know the Rice family and they typically use the house on the north side. I'd call the police and marine patrol and report the trespassing. The disrespectful public has destroyed this place for the Rice's. I've kicked a lot of people off their beach.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #38
RailroadJoe

On the Google maps, it shows two stone breakwaters. What was the original use of these?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #39
granitehead

I received clarification today from the LRCT that the Rice family retains deeded rights to camp at that picnic spot even though it's within the LRCT conservation boundaries. That's great! Glad they they can still do that.
granitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
JRice

Indeed, we have rights to walk the entire island, but my uncle T.E.P. Rice jr. has life tenancy to the breakwater. He is good guy and deserves it!

Thanks for looking out for the place Gary, I hate to think how long it has been since I have seen my homeland. My family has had a presence this summer and that warms my heart.

JR
The Following User Says Thank You to JRice For This Useful Post:
PLRice (09-07-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #41
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRice View Post
Indeed, we have rights to walk the entire island, but my uncle T.E.P. Rice jr. has life tenancy to the breakwater. He is good guy and deserves it!

Thanks for looking out for the place Gary, I hate to think how long it has been since I have seen my homeland. My family has had a presence this summer and that warms my heart.

JR
Jonathan, is Priscilla your sister? Rick (Preacher) is a good friend. I know they have been trying to get an old Chris Craft sanded and ready to take to Stonedam.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #42
garysanfran

Quote:
... I know they have been trying to get an old Chris Craft sanded and ready to take to Stonedam.
I have not seen it up close, but there is an old vintage boat, that could possibly be an old Chris Craft (circa late '50's?), moored smack in the middle of the cove, about 35' ? from their shore....It has a very long rode...BRILLIANT!

Like those worly-gigs, whose rotating arms keep pesky sea gulls off stuff. This swinging boat keeps the pesky rafting inconsiderates at a more palatable distance and makes swimming to their private shore more of a chore.

Jonathan said, "His family has had a presence this summer..."

I hope it was (is?) a great summer for them, and that more "homegrown" activity on the island will happen.

What an incredible character building experience it must be for a child to spend time camping on that southeast point!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #43
JRice

Priscilla is my cousin. I have not made it to the island for some time, but it is nice that other members of the family have had the chance! Say Hello to Rick and Priscilla for me!

J