Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
ApS

Default Black Bear--Named "Baby"

Shortly after turning down Forest Road, a large black shape emerged from some bushes and lumbered directly in front of my car. (This was not far from hand-lettered signs that read, " Slow Down--Children").

When he saw me as a risk factor, he floored-it and stumbled. I had already braked and steered in the opposite direction of his travel, but he disappeared momentarily under my fender. A close call, but there was no impact and he ran off eastbound--uninjured.

When I mentioned this to a Wolfeboro neighbor living nearby, she said, "I think that may have been 'Baby'...His Mom hangs around here, but we seldom see her".

While it's Brown Bears that have the reputation as North America's greatest killer, should Wolfeboro residents be so casual towards its cousin?

I mean, "Baby"?

The Black Bear lacks a clean record among humankind.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I get your point. I also feel so sad for these deer that are so cute and people feed them. They are only encouraging them to not fear people and therefore become dinner.

Another thing is that we hear over and over to take bird feeders in in the summer. The birds need to learn to find their own food and the feeders draw the wild animals. They say they take them in at night. Really? Do they not realize the seeds fall on the ground? Everywhere I have heard of a bear breaking into somebody's garbage or are on their porch, there is a bird feeder near by. Ok, off my soapbox, one of my pet peeves.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
Susie Cougar

Black bears are the least aggressive of all bears species … if you are walking and approach a bear, make sure the bear knows that you are people and not prey. Talk to the bear and wave your arms around. The odds of being attacked by a black bear are extremely low.
I hope no one is thinking that these bears are dangerous and should be removed or worse. There have always been black bears around.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Black bears are the least aggressive of all bears species … if you are walking and approach a bear, make sure the bear knows that you are people and not prey. Talk to the bear and wave your arms around. The odds of being attacked by a black bear are extremely low.
I hope no one is thinking that these bears are dangerous and should be removed or worse. There have always been black bears around.
Any particular words or catch phrases you should use as you "talk to the bear"?

I am people not prey?

Hey, I'm not dinner?

Sorry, I won't taste good?

Thank you for pointing out that they are not dangerous. I had no idea

So if I come across one should I just pat it like a stray dog?

I just want to be prepared!
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

I am people not prey?

Hey, I'm not dinner?

I think the experts' suggestion is "ooga booga booga."

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (09-18-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #6
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

I am people not prey?

Hey, I'm not dinner?

Just tell the bear you don’t taste like chicken.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
Susie Cougar

No, you should not attempt to pet it especially if there is a baby around.
You want to make your presence known. These are wild animals. Just let them be.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:41 PM   #8
LoveLakeLife

Think’s response is the best yet. Hilarious! A riskier alternative might be “Hey Yogiiii!”

Then he will definitely know he’s safe from mankind.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
Riviera (09-22-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #9
ApS

Arrow Forest Road Leads to Wolfeboro Neck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Black bears are the least aggressive of all bears species … if you are walking and approach a bear, make sure the bear knows that you are people and not prey. Talk to the bear and wave your arms around. The odds of being attacked by a black bear are extremely low. I hope no one is thinking that these bears are dangerous and should be removed or worse. There have always been black bears around.
They have a reputation as "not aggressive", but take that up with New Hampshire resident Apryl Rogers, and her life-threatening injuries:

Quote:
"WMUR-TV reported that Rogers, who was using a wheelchair before the attack, was still recovering from life–threatening injuries. The animal sliced her cheek and scalp and fractured her neck. She also lost her left eye."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-inside-home
Surely their numbers are up in recent years, especially in north Melvin Village. They're hunted in New Hampshire, so bears tend to keep away from civilization.

If anything, I'd want the town to take better control of the neighbor's household garbage security that attracted two large bears within 50 feet of me in my driveway. (At Yosemite Park, a wild Black Bear ambled within 10 feet of me, then turned around and scooted up a trail).

When I asked the late Ralph Merwinn Horn (on video) about Black Bears on Wolfeboro Neck, he said he'd never seen one! (Mr. Horn had been active on Wolfeboro Neck since the 1930s).

I'd also suggest that the town put "Bear Crossing" signs where Baby's family roams. That would send a message to the nearby families who put up signs that read, "Drive Like Your Kids Lived Here".

Old 09-22-2022, 09:58 PM   #10
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Another thing is that we hear over and over to take bird feeders in in the summer. The birds need to learn to find their own food and the feeders draw the wild animals. They say they take them in at night. Really? Do they not realize the seeds fall on the ground? Everywhere I have heard of a bear breaking into somebody's garbage or are on their porch, there is a bird feeder near by.
Um . . . you talkin' to me about the bird feeder? OK, in my defense, I learned from this incident. And in the second photo he was just trying to get a better look at the thermometer.

Name:  P1010396.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  55.4 KB
Attached Images

SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:16 AM   #11
tis

Sailin, yes YOU and the thousands of others that don't listen. I don't always agree with what the powers that be tell us we should do, but on this one I am with them. Feeders not only make birds dependent, they draw the bears to populated areas.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:48 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post

Sailin, yes YOU and the thousands of others that don't listen. I don't always agree with what the powers that be tell us we should do, but on this one I am with them. Feeders not only make birds dependent, they draw the bears to populated areas.
Yeah, but look at that cutie patootie! Makes me wanna go up and boop him on the snoot.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #13
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Yeah, but look at that cutie patootie! Makes me wanna go up and boop him on the snoot.

Go right ahead. And let me know what happens if you're around to tell.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:37 PM   #14
winni83

While attacks by black bears may be rare, the US National Park Service has this advice:

“Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as a car or building. If escape is not possible, try to fight back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.”

This is in contrast to its advice about attacks by grizzly or brown bears, which in the first instance is to play dead and if that fails, then fight back.
It seems that if you experience a rare black bear attack, it is likely that the bear intends to eat you or at least do grave bodily harm.

There are times when the conventional wisdom about making yourself known to the black bear, raising your arms, shouting, etc. do not work. Several years ago while deer hunting on an old logging road, I was charged by a very large black bear and did all of the things that conventional wisdom recommends, to no avail. The bear just kept on coming at me and there were no cubs in the area. At about 200 feet away from me I put a rifle round in the dirt to its rear, with a second shot ready to hit it. Thankfully that was not necessary and the bear and I parted company. It was close enough that I did not want to wait and see if it was a bluff charge.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 06:24 PM   #15
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
While attacks by black bears may be rare, the US National Park Service has this advice:

“Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as a car or building. If escape is not possible, try to fight back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.”

This is in contrast to its advice about attacks by grizzly or brown bears, which in the first instance is to play dead and if that fails, then fight back.
It seems that if you experience a rare black bear attack, it is likely that the bear intends to eat you or at least do grave bodily harm.

There are times when the conventional wisdom about making yourself known to the black bear, raising your arms, shouting, etc. do not work. Several years ago while deer hunting on an old logging road, I was charged by a very large black bear and did all of the things that conventional wisdom recommends, to no avail. The bear just kept on coming at me and there were no cubs in the area. At about 200 feet away from me I put a rifle round in the dirt to its rear, with a second shot ready to hit it. Thankfully that was not necessary and the bear and I parted company. It was close enough that I did not want to wait and see if it was a bluff charge.
Very interesting. I don't say this often, but a very good time to be armed! (haha) A friend of mine is a bow and arrow hunter for deer, but always brings a handgun in case of bear.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:25 PM   #16
winni83

FlyingScot

Your friend is a smart hunter for sure. Although the effective range of a hand gun is considerably less than a 30.06😎
Old 09-24-2022, 03:44 AM   #17
ApS

Arrow Hide Inside, Not Under...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Think’s response is the best yet. Hilarious! A riskier alternative might be “Hey Yogiiii!” Then he will definitely know he’s safe from mankind.
There's this video where a very large Black Bear ambles up to a hunter's tree stand. He was halfway up the ladder when the hunter said, "What'cha doin'?" The bear "thought" for several long seconds, then slowly climbed back down!

A second video--from the same series--showed a potential victim hiding under his SUV. The bear crawled partway underneath, using his bulk to lift the SUV!
Old 09-24-2022, 08:17 AM   #18
hilltopper

Default Honest question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Very interesting. I don't say this often, but a very good time to be armed! (haha) A friend of mine is a bow and arrow hunter for deer, but always brings a handgun in case of bear.
Is it legal in NH to carry a handgun when bow hunting?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:41 PM   #19
winni83

It appears that carrying a firearm while hunting with a bow and arrow pursuant to an archery license is permitted, but of course the firearm cannot be used to take game permitted under the archery license. See section below in bold.

208:5 Bow and Arrow. –
I. The executive director shall set the fee pursuant to RSA 206:10, I, for issuance of archery licenses for the following categories: residents 16 years of age or older and nonresidents 16 years of age or older.
II. The licensee shall be entitled to hunt wildlife with bow and arrow during the open season, subject to the restrictions of this title.
III. The licensee shall be entitled to hunt deer during the special archery season established by the executive director, after consultation with the commission, pursuant to RSA 208:2 throughout the state and in Bear Brook Refuge.
IV. The licensee shall be entitled to take one deer under the archery license and additional deer under the archery license as determined by the executive director in accordance with RSA 208:5-b.

V. The licensee shall be entitled to carry firearms while hunting under the provisions of this section, unless such licensee is prohibited by state or federal law from carrying a firearm.

VI. A resident or nonresident person under 16 years of age shall not take wildlife with a bow and arrow unless said person is accompanied by a properly licensed person who is 18 years of age or older.
VII. A resident or nonresident person under 16 years of age shall not take deer with bow and arrow during the special archery season unless such person is accompanied by a person possessing the archery license described in RSA 208:5, I who is 18 years of age or older.
VIII. No person taking deer under the provisions of this section shall take or attempt to take deer with any type of firearm.
IX. An archery license purchased pursuant to this section shall not constitute satisfactory proof that the licensee has previously had a hunting license issued to the licensee in this state, or any other state, province or country as required by RSA 214:23-a.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #20
longislander

https://www.meredithnh.org/police-de...on-application

https://legiscan.com/NH/text/SB12/id/1442360

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../159/159-6.htm

3 Repeal. RSA 159:4, relative to requiring a license to carry a concealed pistol or revolver, is repealed.
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #21
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
There's this video where a very large Black Bear ambles up to a hunter's tree stand. He was halfway up the ladder when the hunter said, "What'cha doin'?" The bear "thought" for several long seconds, then slowly climbed back down!

A second video--from the same series--showed a potential victim hiding under his SUV. The bear crawled partway underneath, using his bulk to lift the SUV!
Tree stands can be a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVy5p6BxFyE
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
blitz (10-04-2022), pondguy (09-25-2022)