Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Guardian

Default Plow cost?

Planning for next winter, what is an average cost for plowing in the Alton area, about 350 feet, straight shot. Not sure if I should get an extra blade to leave at the cabin or pay someone to do it?
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
MeredithMan

Default It can get expensive, real fast...

...So the company I use first has "Level 1" and "Level 2" Service. Level 1 is plowing within 4 hrs of completion of the storm; Level 2 is something more than that, (I forget the timeframe). Level 1 Base Rate is of course more expensive than Level 2. They then have an accelerated fee based on the amount of snow. So for up to 1.9", it is the Base Rate; 2-5.9", it is like 1.5X Base Rate; 6-9.9" is some other multiple; and 10+" is another multiple.
(I don't have their sheet in front of me). Bottom line is that if there is a snowy winter, it costs a ton to have the driveway plowed. Unfortunately, I am not there all the time in the winter and my driveway is fairly steep, so if it is not cleared down to pavement, quickly, I am unable to get in or out.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Guardian (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
DesertDweller

I have about a 150 foot driveway. I pay $40 per plow if the snow is 6 inches or less and $60 if it is over 6 inches. I am in Moultonborough.

My former plow guy charged me the same except he did it when it was convenient for him (which is not an issue because I am typically not around in the winter). My new guy is really prompt.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #4
LikeLakes

I'm not up there but I think Desertdweller rates are a good guide. I've never heard of something so complicated like Meredithman described, that would drive me nuts.

I really don't like paying per event, much prefer to pay for a full season, even if that seems like a large number. That way the plow guy just needs to keep it clean, not a question of them showing up when it's only 2" or not showing up enough when it's a big storm. Sometimes I win, sometimes the plow guy wins, it evens out over a few years and as long as you have a competent guy that actually cares about the work they will treat you well. Just my preference.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:46 PM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Our plow guy was $300 for 8 storms, and he made the commitment before fuel prices went up …..
so next season will be a different story.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
Winilyme

We paid $584 for this season. Driveway is about 130 feet long with a large turnaround/parking area. We pay to have it cleared with a snow blower versus a plow. Saves coming back to a messed up driveway in the spring.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
Guardian (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
camp guy

Default Snow plowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
We paid $584 for this season. Driveway is about 130 feet long with a large turnaround/parking area. We pay to have it cleared with a snow blower versus a plow. Saves coming back to a messed up driveway in the spring.
Snow blower vs snow plow is a serious question, especially if you have landscaping issues to be aware of. The snow blower may cost a little more, but you won't have the additional landscaping costs in the spring to re-manicure your lawn along the edges of the driveway. Plus, most plow operators don't get out of their vehicle to do walkways, etc, whereas the snow blowers will do walkways as part of the job.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote