Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
BoatHouse

Default More Loons this year?

Not scientific, but there seems to be many more Loons on the lake this year than the past two years. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatHouse View Post
Not scientific, but there seems to be many more Loons on the lake this year than the past two years. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I think so - I see and hear them all the time.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
FlyingScot

Feels that way to me too. Let's all remember to keep our distance, especially from nests
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
kawishiwi

Default Get the lead out too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Feels that way to me too. Let's all remember to keep our distance, especially from nests
Also, remember lead sinkers & jigs 1oz and under are outlawed in NH. I heard that a single lead split shot can be a fatal dose for an adult Loon.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Picture in yesterdays Sun showed a loon mom with 5 babies.Never seen more than two on my end of the lake.
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not sure it was a loon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Picture in yesterdays Sun showed a loon mom with 5 babies.Never seen more than two on my end of the lake.
I saw the same picture and was amazed by the 5 chicks. Then I looked closer and compared the size of the adult to the buoy floating in the foreground, and felt the adult was too small. Also looked up common loons and they typically lay 1 or 2 eggs, and like you, have never seen or heard of 5 chicks. I also could not see the distinctive white band around the neck of the adult. Finally, loon chicks seem to hold their greyish color and not look like mini-loons until well into summer.

Not sure what waterfowl (duck?) it is, but didn't feel it was a loon. JMO.

Dave
Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I had to find the picture because I have never heard that loons can have five babies either. And in that picture the babies don't look brown which the young loons do for their first season. So I agree with Up and Sam, I don't think they are loons.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
Hillcountry

I see loons every time I’m on the lake...most times the human loons far outnumber the avian ones...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Also, remember lead sinkers & jigs 1oz and under are outlawed in NH. I heard that a single lead split shot can be a fatal dose for an adult Loon.
Good point! Yes, a single shot is enough to poison a loon. Also, when the loon dies and decomposes, the lead is still in the environment to poison another
Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ..... NH loon population is growing

Saturday, July 20 is Loon Appreciation Day at the Loon Center in Moultonborough.

https://www.concordmonitor.com/Loons-27038887 ... 5-photos ... July 18, 2019

'After more than 40 years, loons are making a comeback in N.H.'

Use your imagination here to recall that haunting cry of the loon sound from the 1981 film, On Golden Pond ......with Ethel yelling at Norman .... there they are .... can you hear them!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-20-2019 at 07:53 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

Default Winni Loon article

In the article referenced above by FLL, Harry Vogel, director of the Loon Preservation Committee (or LPC), mentions that "Lead poisoning from ingested fish tackle has accounted for 44% of all documented adult loon deaths over the last 30 years.'.

Later in the article he also notes that "it's not old lead that's killing the birds - the dense tackle tends to sink into muddy lake floors where loons can't swallow it over time. Lead tackle is still being used illegally, and it's killing birds."

The loon population would be smaller if it wasn't for LPC. The Moultonboro based organization supports loon population growth by floating almost 100 artificial nests in NH waters each year. Their nests protect the eggs from changing water levels, boat wake, flying predators and the summer sun. They also rescue loons that get tangled in fishing line or get stuck in areas they can't take off from.

Loons are a violent species, often killing each other for territory. Predators take their eggs and new born chicks. A four hour old NH loon chick was taken by an eagle earlier this summer and caught on video in a shocking 20 second clip at https://youtu.be/VbZIw1-pHdc .

Sharing habitat with people also creates challenges for the loon population. In addition to the illegal use of lead shot, land development reduces loon nesting habitat and boat wake can wash eggs out of a nest. Next time you hear a loon call in NH, thank LPC.

The free LPC email news letter is a good way to keep up to date with Loon News. You can subscribe to it, and learn much more, at loon.org
Attached Images

Last edited by Lakegeezer; 07-24-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: edited
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakegeezer For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-24-2019), FlyingScot (07-27-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
Sue Doe-Nym

Default More loons this year?

Glad to hear that there are more loons this year as I would have said the opposite. We are near Ambrose Cove Marina, and I have missed hearing the loons...I love the sound and yes, it reminds me of that wonderful movie ON GOLDEN POND.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Andromeda321

Went to the loon festival a few weekends ago, and heard a great talk from the biologists who go out onto the NH lakes to keep track of the loons. Even got to talk to the biologist about "our" loons around Wallace Island and she gave us the skinny about how our loons keep fighting the ones at Salmon Meadow Cove, which is likely why neither has chicks this year- too much fighting with the neighbors!

Loon Center also does a really nice series of talks in the summer on various science and nature topics. Worth checking out if that's your cup of tea!
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #14
FlyingScot

Default Weirs Times

Great piece in The Weirs Times today. 44% of loon deaths tied to lead; plus info towards the end on how to trade in your lead for $. And watch out for those eagles!

https://issuu.com/weirspublishing/docs/wtimes081519